Docker

Luke

• 2 weeks later...
kugelzucker

anybody else having issues going to emby version 4 from version 3 (all via emby:latest)?

i am pulling the new images from emby/embyserver:latest and even with a new config folder (thought it might be a migration issue) i still end up with a server that is on Version 3.5.3.0.

other than docker pull emby/embyserver:latest and restarting the container is there something i can do or i am doing wrong for that matter?

Nope, no issues here.

What's the output of

docker images emby/embyserver
docker images history emby/embyserver

The following will force remove all emby/embyserver images so your next run would pull fresh copies from the repository:

docker rmi -f $(docker images -q emby/embyserver)
  • Like 1

kugelzucker
~# docker images emby/embyserver
REPOSITORY          TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             SIZE
emby/embyserver     <none>              bc5f9f744d9c        36 hours ago        248MB
emby/embyserver     <none>              6aef1338bd52        10 days ago         248MB
emby/embyserver     latest              835050fb3fae        4 months ago        213MB

docker ps -a showed it was on 835050fb3fae

weird.

it is fixed now! thanks a bunch

one question: when i installed an container for the first time in this case with docker run -d OPTIONS emby/embyserver:latest it got the image named after that instead of the ID, which i used as a kind of documentation to see where i pulled this from. when doing docker pull CONTAINERNAME it pulls a new image and replaces the nice image name with the ID of the new image. i wanted the old name back and used docker tag to rename the image. i am guessing this was the source of the problem. is there another nice way name an image without disturbing the update process. i know this is quite off topic but you seem to have a grasp on docker and so far a i havent found anything useful online on this topic.

any hints are greatly appreciated!

With docker pull you just download an image, while docker run is a combination of docker create and docker start: it creates a container (which is basically an overlay over the specified image) and starts it, pulling the base image in the process if it does not already exist.

The docker way to upgrade containers whose base layer has changed would be to delete the current container, pull the new image and create a new container based on said image.

A more convenient approach to updating docker containers - either automatically or manually - would be to use watchtower.

Unless you are planning on sharing your own images on dockerhub, there is no real reason to tag local images.

Not sure if I understood you correctly, but the usual way would be to give the container itself a specific name, e.g. using the --name parameter in the docker run command.

• Like 1

kugelzucker

With docker pull you just download an image, while docker run is a combination of docker create and docker start: it creates a container (which is basically an overlay over the specified image) and starts it, pulling the base image in the process if it does not already exist.

The docker way to upgrade containers whose base layer has changed would be to delete the current container, pull the new image and create a new container based on said image.

A more convenient approach to updating docker containers - either automatically or manually - would be to use watchtower.

Unless you are planning on sharing your own images on dockerhub, there is no real reason to tag local images.

Not sure if I understood you correctly, but the usual way would be to give the container itself a specific name, e.g. using the --name parameter in the docker run command.

thanks, i set up watchtower!

to clarify, i used  --name but relied on the name of the source image for the container which seemed to be set to whatever the source for the initial pull was to update. watchtower takes that over for me and i dont need that information anymore :D thanks again

otispresley

Thanks for the tip on Watchtower! I just wanted to provide a couple useful container images that make my Docker life easier:

• For those who want to manage your Docker host(s)/cluster(s) with a nice, free GUI interface, try Portainer. It has been mentioned before in this topic.
  • If you want to extract the "docker run" command from a running container, try: Rekcod.
  • Like 2

BAlGaInTl

Thanks for the tip on Watchtower! I just wanted to provide a couple useful container images that make my Docker life easier:

• For those who want to manage your Docker host(s)/cluster(s) with a nice, free GUI interface, try Portainer. It has been mentioned before in this topic.
  • If you want to extract the "docker run" command from a running container, try: Rekcod.

Some great tools.

I've used watchtower to stay updated.

I evaluated portainer, but most of the time I end up using the OMV GUI more just because I'm used to it.

I'll have to check out rekcod.

• Like 1

skurvy_pirate

Are you still running into this?

Sorry, got busy and forgot to check up. I am still seeing it but I see there is an updated version so I will give that a shot first.

skurvy_pirate

Yeah, still happens when I reboot the box hosting the container. When it comes back, the container is running, but will die after a short bit. The log looks similar to what I posted previously (with no specific errors, warnings, or other odd messages). Just dies.

Edt: On 4.0.1.0

Edited by skurvy_pirate

godfuture

Hey guys,

I recently moved my emby docker to 4.0.1.0. By doing so, I noticed that when starting a completely new container with only /config, transcoding temp and cache folder mounted, my thumbs gone lost. I seems like downloaded images were not recognized anymore. Starting my old container with the same mounts, all images are back.

What on the filesystem could be relevant for fetching images? Please consider, I had exactly the same mounts...

I want to be sure that whenever I start a new container with same config, the result will be the same.

Many thanks for any hints!

Hey guys,

I recently moved my emby docker to 4.0.1.0. By doing so, I noticed that when starting a completely new container with only /config, transcoding temp and cache folder mounted, my thumbs gone lost. I seems like downloaded images were not recognized anymore. Starting my old container with the same mounts, all images are back.

What on the filesystem could be relevant for fetching images? Please consider, I had exactly the same mounts...

I want to be sure that whenever I start a new container with same config, the result will be the same.

Many thanks for any hints!

Did you have to go through the startup wizard again?

aptalca

Hi guys,

I noticed that whenever there is a new docker image uploaded to the hub, the 37 recent builds/versions are also reuploaded. Is that intentional? In other words, are they os or package updates or a bug in the builder that reuploads all the recent builds?

I do get a new image update notice every few days, but I'm not sure if there are any updates really as the latest tag still seems to point to the same stable version.

Thanks

cohomology

hi,

I am stuck on 3.5.2 and docker-compose cannot find the new updates, weird. Here is my docker-compose.yaml file:

version: "3"
services:
  emby-server:
    image: emby/embyserver:latest
    container_name: emby-server
    devices:
      - /dev/dri/renderD128
    environment:
      TZ: America/New_York
      UID: 1000
      GID: 1000
      GIDLIST: 986
    ports:
      - 8096:8096
      - 8920:8920
    volumes:
      - "/home/ace/docker_vol/emby-server/config:/config"
      - "/opt/gd:/storage/gd"
      - "/home/ace/docker_vol/emby-server/config:/var/lib/emby"

Whenever I run "docker-compose up -d", I always get "emby-server is up-to-date". Please help me!

aptalca

hi,

I am stuck on 3.5.2 and docker-compose cannot find the new updates, weird. Here is my docker-compose.yaml file:

version: "3"
services:
  emby-server:
    image: emby/embyserver:latest
    container_name: emby-server
    devices:
      - /dev/dri/renderD128
    environment:
      TZ: America/New_York
      UID: 1000
      GID: 1000
      GIDLIST: 986
    ports:
      - 8096:8096
      - 8920:8920
    volumes:
      - "/home/ace/docker_vol/emby-server/config:/config"
      - "/opt/gd:/storage/gd"
      - "/home/ace/docker_vol/emby-server/config:/var/lib/emby"

Whenever I run "docker-compose up -d", I always get "emby-server is up-to-date". Please help me!

Do a "docker-compose pull" first to update the local image. Up -d updates the containers as needed based on local images.

cohomology

Do a "docker-compose pull" first to update the local image. Up -d updates the containers as needed based on local images.

Worked like a champ! Thanks!

godfuture

Did you have to go through the startup wizard again?

No, except the missing thumbs everything started as it was. Is there some identification as ENV variable passed to the container?

No, except the missing thumbs everything started as it was. Is there some identification as ENV variable passed to the container?

No, we'd have to look at an example. Thanks.

deaerator

With the latest and greatest Plugin from Unraid we are now have the ability to leverage NVIDIA gpu for Hardware Acceleration with dockers.

But I am having playback problems where the video will stop every 5-7 seconds but only for milliseconds.  Enough to be annoying.

How do I start troubleshooting the problem?

With the latest and greatest Plugin from Unraid we are now have the ability to leverage NVIDIA gpu for Hardware Acceleration with dockers.

But I am having playback problems where the video will stop every 5-7 seconds but only for milliseconds.  Enough to be annoying.

How do I start troubleshooting the problem?

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please see how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

aptalca

Hi guys,

I noticed that whenever there is a new docker image uploaded to the hub, the 37 recent builds/versions are also reuploaded. Is that intentional? In other words, are they os or package updates or a bug in the builder that reuploads all the recent builds?

I do get a new image update notice every few days, but I'm not sure if there are any updates really as the latest tag still seems to point to the same stable version.

Thanks

@@Luke not sure if you saw this

Thanks