Docker

Luke

aptalca

RE: docker builds on the hub

I noticed that every time there is a new beta version, there is also a new build of the latest stable and the "latest" tag also gets updated. Are those new "latest" builds intentional, or just a minor issue with your build pipeline? The versions remain the same, but the tags are updated, causing docker to think there is an image update.

4.2.0.40 is re-building/re-uploading every few days

Thanks

NikeSwe

I noticed that every time there is a new beta version, there is also a new build of the latest stable and the "latest" tag also gets updated. Are those new "latest" builds intentional, or just a minor issue with your build pipeline? The versions remain the same, but the tags are updated, causing docker to think there is an image update.

Thanks

I have noticed the same thing.

Thanks

This isn't the case. What's happening is we're cherry picking small fixes from the new 4.3 betas that will end up going into an eventual 4.2.1 stable update. It's just our automatic build system triggering on these updates and re-building/re-packaging. So that is what you're seeing. 

aptalca

This isn't the case. What's happening is we're cherry picking small fixes from the new 4.3 betas that will end up going into an eventual 4.2.1 stable update. It's just our automatic build system triggering on these updates and re-building/re-packaging. So that is what you're seeing. 

Thanks for the clarification

NikeSwe

But they do not trigger the built in update notification from within Emby Server? So, with Docker, we get small secret updates that other people don't "see" (people not using docker) or do I misunderstand something?

But they do not trigger the built in update notification from within Emby Server? So, with Docker, we get small secret updates that other people don't "see" (people not using docker) or do I misunderstand something?

If there were a major issue we'd obviously bump the version number and announce a new release to the entire Emby audience, but there hasn't been. However, these little in-place updates are nice because it means new installations get them, and it cuts down the number of times we have to answer the same questions.

NikeSwe

If there were a major issue we'd obviously bump the version number and announce a new release to the entire Emby audience, but there hasn't been. However, these little in-place updates are nice because it means new installations get them, and it cuts down the number of times we have to answer the same questions.

Ok, good to know. Thanks Luke!

Pog22

I'm having major problems with the latest docker, library scans go on forever. How do I go about a downgrade to 4.0?

Edited by Pog22

otispresley

Hi @@Pog22, if you want to run a specific version, the you have to specify the tag for the version you want. Go here for the list of tags: https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver/tags

When you find the one you want, then just use the command shown but with the tag to download the image, like so: docker pull emby/embyserver:4.3.0.0
Then, just run your container with that same image.

I'm having major problems with the latest docker, library scans go on forever. How do I go about a downgrade to the last image?

Im using docker compose:

version: '3.6'

services:

emby:
    container_name: emby
    hostname: emby
    image: emby/embyserver
    networks:
      - traefik_proxy
    ports:
      - "32770:8096/tcp"
      - "32769:8920/tcp"
    restart: always
    environment:
      - PUID=${PUID}
      - PGID=${PGID}
      - TZ=${TZ}
    volumes:
      - ${Stack04}/emby/config:/config
      - ${Movies}:/movies
      - ${Series}:/series
    labels:
      - "traefik.enable=true"
      - "traefik.backend=emby"
      - "traefik.frontend.rule=Host:emby.${DOMAINNAME}"
      - "traefik.port=32770"
      - "traefik.docker.network=traefik_proxy"
      - "traefik.frontend.headers.SSLRedirect=true"
      - "traefik.frontend.headers.STSSeconds=315360000"
      - "traefik.frontend.headers.browserXSSFilter=true"
      - "traefik.frontend.headers.contentTypeNosniff=true"
      - "traefik.frontend.headers.forceSTSHeader=true"
      - "traefik.frontend.headers.SSLHost=example.com"
      - "traefik.frontend.headers.STSIncludeSubdomains=true"
      - "traefik.frontend.headers.STSPreload=true"
      - "traefik.frontend.headers.frameDeny=true"
    dns: 1.1.1.1        
networks:
  traefik_proxy:
    driver: bridge
    name: traefik_proxy

However im unable to add the library. When going to the movie share the it closes directly. I dont think it is a right issue because other dockers have no issue getting into these share. Sonarr/radarr etc. No probs. When manually typing in the share and running a library update it stops after 1 seconde.

Any clue? 

Edited by lowfi

See this:

nIqJjBF.gif

I however now see this in the logs:

Access to the path '/movies' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

The docker is running user a special docker user.

These are the rights of movie folder. Any other docker/app/user is able to write to this folder....

[/share/Video] # ls -l
total 36
drwxrwxrwx 429 admin administrators 24576 2019-08-10 18:56 Movies/
drwxrwxr-x  15 admin administrators  4096 2019-08-09 08:24 Series/
Edited by lowfi

Well, we could inform you of this more gracefully, but that means the server is being denied permission to your movies folder, so you may want to check on that.

Riggs

Another detail. Not only permissions, you have to add the shared paths to the docker.

ex:

--volume /path/to/share1:/mnt/share1 \ # To mount a first share
--volume /path/to/share2:/mnt/share2 \ # To mount a second share

etc.

What i mean is  ONE  entry for EACH share. If you have more than one path for movies  you need to add the path for each one.

EX:

- ${Movies1}:/movies1

- ${Movies2}:/movies2

---------------------------------------

IF you not define the shares in the container yo cannot access to the directories, for example, if you need a special path for the back-up the path/directory when you want the backup, needs to be included in the docker.

ref: https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver/

Edited by HRSCR

Riggs

Well, we could inform you of this more gracefully, but that means the server is being denied permission to your movies folder, so you may want to check on that.

0755 will be fine recursive

But hey!   The USER needs grant access to the shares or folders. 

Hope helps

Edited by HRSCR

0755 will be fine recursive

But hey!   The USER needs grant access to the shares or folders. 

Hope helps

It is there:

volumes:
      - ${Stack04}/emby/config:/config
      - ${Movies}:/movies
      - ${Series}:/series

Declared in the env file:

# Media
Video=/share/Video
Movies=/share/Video/Movies
Series=/share/Video/Series
Downloads=/share/Download

This code is shared across dockers. No problems there :S

UPDATE:

I changed the group owner of the media folder using chgrp to "everyone". Now it works! Before these folders were owned by an admin group. 

Edited by lowfi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Riggs

QQ.

Is there a way to update Emby without delete and rebuild?

Sorry about this but I saw with Plex that you just need to stop the container and then start the container and that's it. Seems that Plex pull the new image using the tag that you have and that's why when you stop and start, he do the update.

Thanks.

TrainAss

All I do is restart the docker and it pulls the latest image, same as Plex

What is your container setup? A restart on mine doesn't pull a new image.

QQ.

Is there a way to update Emby without delete and rebuild?

Sorry about this but I saw with Plex that you just need to stop the container and then start the container and that's it. Seems that Plex pull the new image using the tag that you have and that's why when you stop and start, he do the update.

Thanks.

You need to mount your config volumes on the host with -v /opt/appdata/emby:/config or in my case i have mine -v /mnt/emby:/config as I have an SSD for Emby at /mnt/emby

Edited by Pog22
  • Like 1

Riggs

You need to mount your config volumes on the host with -v /opt/appdata/emby:/config or in my case i have mine -v /mnt/emby:/config as I have an SSD for Emby at /mnt/emby

Thank you, going to try. My docker is on OMV.

D34DC3N73R

Personally, I hate the way Plex updates software using the same image. It goes against "the docker way". Users should be able to pick out versions based on the image tag or just use :latest. If you're looking for a tool to update your images upon release, check out ouroboros. https://github.com/pyouroboros/ouroboros

• Like 1

Riggs

Personally, I hate the way Plex updates software using the same image. It goes against "the docker way". Users should be able to pick out versions based on the image tag or just use :latest. If you're looking for a tool to update your images upon release, check out ouroboros. https://github.com/pyouroboros/ouroboros

Thank you!

Riggs

Ok, I found the proper way to update the Docker on OMV (OpenMediaVault)

Into OMV web interface go to dockers.

Stop the Docker container. (at the bottom of the Docker section)

Go to repository and click over the emby repository just for selection. (at the top of the Docker section)

Click on Pull Image and write:  emby/embyserver and in the tag space choose latest or beta (pick only the version that you are using without the colon )

Click ok and wait until the new image is downloaded. When is ready close the pull window.

Now you can see an empty name pull which is the old emby version. (leave it as it for now)

Go down again an click over the emby container (at the bottom of the Docker section) - (be careful because it lost the original name "emby/embyserver:beta"  for a simple / ) , select the unnamed container and click on Modify.

Leave all settings as it but save it. -Once that is saved it get "emby/embyserver:beta" name again- 

Note: (in my case I'm using beta) if you are using the latest non-beta release it will be "emby/embyserver:latest"

Done.

Now Emby is updated to the latest version.

To clean up, go up (at the top of the Docker section) to the docker images and the delete the unnamed pulled image.

That's it.

Hope helps.

Edited by HRSCR