Docker

Luke

zeroidea

With the way the Docker image is now configured, does something different happen when host-mode networking is selected? With NAT-mode and port mapping, I can successfully get it running in QNAP's container station (albeit without DLNA Play-to functionality) - but when choosing host mode I'm unable to get beyond a bunch of chmod, usermod. and appuser.appuser does not exist type errors..

The official install instructions (docker... instl) won't work on QNAP's Docker implementation - there's no su/sudo, the startup service stuff isn't applicable, and I think all the user stuff only works on a more vanilla docker/linux installation..

The previous version had been working well, with host-mode networking.

hurricanehrndz

Host mode still works and is the recommended method. your issue might be tha there is containers competing for the upnp ports. If an existing container has binded to those port o don't think emby will start.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Exist2Resist

The new docker container is completely broken, it will not play any media. 

It loads the libraries and it sees the media however when I go to play the media nothing happens. 

It just sits on the player.

The new docker container is completely broken, it will not play any media. 

It loads the libraries and it sees the media however when I go to play the media nothing happens. 

It just sits on the player.

Hi there, we're happy to help, but please see how to report a problem so that we can do that. Thanks.

pianogamer5

Hi people! I've got a situation here...

I have a server running Ubuntu 14.04. I've installed Emby natively on its default port and it's been working great for my personal media. I also installed a docker container a while back containing another instance of Emby which was configured to use a different port that I use for a club I'm a part of. I recently wanted to switch to the newer docker container (there's a new installation process and features, as I gather) but I've been running into issues in setting up. The media and configuration files for the old docker container are in my home folder and I'd like to hook those up. I tried running the command on the website but I can't get to the server through the web browser. Upon investigation of the logs the container keeps spitting out

usermod: user '[username]' does not exist
chown: invalid user: '[username].[username]'
su: user [username] does not exist
groups: [username]: no such user

where [username] is the user I am logged in as on the server through ssh. Any ideas?

hurricanehrndz

Hi people! I've got a situation here...

I have a server running Ubuntu 14.04. I've installed Emby natively on its default port and it's been working great for my personal media. I also installed a docker container a while back containing another instance of Emby which was configured to use a different port that I use for a club I'm a part of. I recently wanted to switch to the newer docker container (there's a new installation process and features, as I gather) but I've been running into issues in setting up. The media and configuration files for the old docker container are in my home folder and I'd like to hook those up. I tried running the command on the website but I can't get to the server through the web browser. Upon investigation of the logs the container keeps spitting out

usermod: user '[username]' does not exist
chown: invalid user: '[username].[username]'
su: user [username] does not exist
groups: [username]: no such user

where [username] is the user I am logged in as on the server through ssh. Any ideas?

You could always run the docker manually like you have in the past. If you wish to run the wrapper script, please paste the install command you are using.

pianogamer5

If I wish to use the docker image like I did in the past, can I just use the same command I did the first time? The command I used this time around, when logged in as a standard user, was

sudo docker run -it --rm -v /usr/local/bin:/target emby/embyserver -e "APP_USER=[username]" -e "APP_CONFIG=[absolute path to config folder]" instl

obviously substituting in [username] and [absolute path to config] with their appropriate values.

hurricanehrndz

If I wish to use the docker image like I did in the past, can I just use the same command I did the first time? The command I used this time around, when logged in as a standard user, was

sudo docker run -it --rm -v /usr/local/bin:/target emby/embyserver -e "APP_USER=[username]" -e "APP_CONFIG=[absolute path to config folder]" instl

obviously substituting in [username] and [absolute path to config] with their appropriate values.

Yes, you can use the command you used the first time. Please ensure you overlook the documentation as some environment variables have been renamed. 

It seems to me that the username you are providing is not a user that exist on your system. Please be aware that APP_UID and APP_GID are more important. APP_USER should be a user that exist on your system and has a valid home directory and is capable of running docker commands. Your best bet is to omit APP_USER. The old container used the default UID of 99 and GID 100 now it both 1000.

Edited by hurricanehrndz

pianogamer5

Ok. I've tried using the old command, and here's what I get:

1. If I leave the command as is (no env variables), I get this in the logs:

usermod: user 'appuser' does not exist
chown: invalid user: 'appuser.appuser'
su: user appuser does not exist
groups: appuser: no such user

2. If I try to set the env variables to the Emby user on the underlying system (username: emby; uid: 111; gid: 121), I get this:

su: System error

3. [bAD IDEA] If I try to set the variables to the root user (username: root; uid: 0; gid: 0), I get this:

usermod: PAM: System error

4. If I set the variables to my current user (username: [username]; uid: 1000; gid: 1000):

groups: serveradmin: no such user
usermod: user 'serveradmin' does not exist
chown: invalid user: 'serveradmin.serveradmin'
su: user serveradmin does not exist

Is there any solution to this? I kind of really need this to work (two emby instances at once)...

hurricanehrndz

Ok. I've tried using the old command, and here's what I get:

1. If I leave the command as is (no env variables), I get this in the logs:

2. If I try to set the env variables to the Emby user on the underlying system (username: emby; uid: 111; gid: 121), I get this:

3. [bAD IDEA] If I try to set the variables to the root user (username: root; uid: 0; gid: 0), I get this:

4. If I set the variables to my current user (username: [username]; uid: 1000; gid: 1000):

groups: serveradmin: no such user
usermod: user 'serveradmin' does not exist
chown: invalid user: 'serveradmin.serveradmin'
su: user serveradmin does not exist

Is there any solution to this? I kind of really need this to work (two emby instances at once)...

Can you please post the exact docker run command you are using?

pianogamer5

sudo docker run -d --net=host -v ~/U.N.I.T/emby-conf/:/config -v ~/U.N.I.T/Archives/:/media -e TZ=America/New_York --restart="always" --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver

sudo docker run -d --net=host -v ~/U.N.I.T/emby-conf/:/config -v ~/U.N.I.T/Archives/:/media -e "TZ=America/New_York" -e "APP_USER=emby" -e "APP_GID=121" -e "APP_UID=111" --restart="always" --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver

sudo docker run -d --net=host -v ~/U.N.I.T/emby-conf/:/config -v ~/U.N.I.T/Archives/:/media -e "TZ=America/New_York" -e "APP_USER=root" -e "APP_GID=0" -e "APP_UID=0" --restart="always" --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver

sudo docker run -d --net=host -v ~/U.N.I.T/emby-conf/:/config -v ~/U.N.I.T/Archives/:/media -e "TZ=America/New_York" -e "APP_USER=serveradmin" -e "APP_GID=1000" -e "APP_UID=1000" --restart="always" --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver

hurricanehrndz

sudo docker run -d --net=host -v ~/U.N.I.T/emby-conf/:/config -v ~/U.N.I.T/Archives/:/media -e TZ=America/New_York --restart="always" --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver

sudo docker run -d --net=host -v ~/U.N.I.T/emby-conf/:/config -v ~/U.N.I.T/Archives/:/media -e "TZ=America/New_York" -e "APP_USER=emby" -e "APP_GID=121" -e "APP_UID=111" --restart="always" --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver

sudo docker run -d --net=host -v ~/U.N.I.T/emby-conf/:/config -v ~/U.N.I.T/Archives/:/media -e "TZ=America/New_York" -e "APP_USER=root" -e "APP_GID=0" -e "APP_UID=0" --restart="always" --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver

sudo docker run -d --net=host -v ~/U.N.I.T/emby-conf/:/config -v ~/U.N.I.T/Archives/:/media -e "TZ=America/New_York" -e "APP_USER=serveradmin" -e "APP_GID=1000" -e "APP_UID=1000" --restart="always" --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver

Thanks, I will look into tonight.

hurricanehrndz

I have tried running several similar examples without issue. Please run the following and report back the output of `docker logs`.

mkdir ~/.emby-server
docker run -d --net=host -v ~/.emby-server:/config -e APP_GID=1000 -e APP_UID=1000 --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver
docker run -d --net=host -e APP_USER="root" -e APP_GID=0 -e APP_UID=0 --name=EmbyServer emby/embyserver

pianogamer5

The first command gives this in docker log:

The second command:

Also worth noting: I cannot run the docker command without sudo, or else I get `docker: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is the docker daemon running on this host?"

hurricanehrndz

The first command gives this in docker log:

The second command:

Also worth noting: I cannot run the docker command without sudo, or else I get `docker: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is the docker daemon running on this host?"

can you please print out the output of  `docker info`

pianogamer5
Containers: 0
 Running: 0
 Paused: 0
 Stopped: 0
Server Version: 1.10.3
Storage Driver: aufs
 Root Dir: /var/lib/docker/aufs
 Backing Filesystem: extfs
 Dirs: 305
 Dirperm1 Supported: false
Execution Driver: native-0.2
Logging Driver: json-file
Plugins:
 Volume: local
 Network: host bridge null
Kernel Version: 3.13.0-79-generic
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
OSType: linux
Architecture: x86_64
CPUs: 4
Total Memory: 15.67 GiB
Name: BEAST
ID: [Seems personal, so I'm masking it]
WARNING: No swap limit support

hurricanehrndz
Containers: 0
 Running: 0
 Paused: 0
 Stopped: 0
Server Version: 1.10.3
Storage Driver: aufs
 Root Dir: /var/lib/docker/aufs
 Backing Filesystem: extfs
 Dirs: 305
 Dirperm1 Supported: false
Execution Driver: native-0.2
Logging Driver: json-file
Plugins:
 Volume: local
 Network: host bridge null
Kernel Version: 3.13.0-79-generic
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
OSType: linux
Architecture: x86_64
CPUs: 4
Total Memory: 15.67 GiB
Name: BEAST
ID: [Seems personal, so I'm masking it]
WARNING: No swap limit support

Hmm, there is no reason why you should get those errors. I'll post my full docker log from my last run command. Can you please do the same.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/15349223/

Edited by hurricanehrndz

hurricanehrndz

This makes no sense whatsoever. Can you please try running without mount the config volume. 

pianogamer5

I get the same output when removing the -v ~/.emby-server:/config. I also tried deleting the existing image (docker rmi emby/embyserver) to no avail.

hurricanehrndz

I noticed docker is using extfs underlying filesystem driver what is your host's filesystem? Can you try seeing if you get different results using btrfs. Create a loop back device.

pianogamer5

I've got ext4 on all fronts (RAID1 on / with mdadm, though). I'm not really versed in loopback devices or crazy docker stuff. How would I go about doing what you described?

hurricanehrndz

It's going to get complicated, I have never had issues with the aufs driver but I use xfs for the backing system. The errors you are getting are unique to your situation so it make me believe that it has to do with the storage driver and backing system you are using. You could try using devicemapper as the storage driver Instead of aufs and see if the results are different

pianogamer5

Ok, I'll try some more troubleshooting on my own. Thanks for all the help!

UPDATE: FIXED!

The issue was apparently caused by the --net=host command flag. When trying to run the image manually, I mutated the command a couple times and established this was the issue. When running with the --net=host flag, I'd get the errors and not be able to access Emby, but when I removed this flag everything worked as usual. Not sure, but this issue might be unique to running the container on 14.04. Anyhow, this is the docker command I settled on:

docker run -d -v [path to config folder]:/config -v [path to media]:/media --name=Emby emby/embyserver

The one caveat of this is that the container can't be accessed through the host IP address. However, it can be accessed through the IP address of the docker0 interface which can be found using ifconfig.

Hope I can help anyone who runs into this issue as well!

Edited by pianogamer5