Docker

Luke

NeoMatrix

I would like to confirm that each docker has a unique persistent volume for it's config directory.

They are NOT the same and each DB has a different users etc....

100% not shared.

Would any particular log files help ?

Note: They DO share the same Storage folder for content though but I doubt this matters......

Edited by NeoMatrix

BarryAmerika

Using the same storage for content is not a problem. If you could post the docker config / creation script / run command for each instance and in particular the mounted volumes that would maybe help to clarify.

Running multiple instances can be a bit tricky. Did you by any chance clone Instance A to make Instance B?

NeoMatrix

My 2 dockers..........

docker run -d --volume /home/docker/embyconfig1:/config --volume /home/storagemedia:/storage --publish 18096:8096 --publish 18920:8920 --env UID=1000 --env GID=1000 emby/embyserver:latest

docker run -d --volume /home/docker/embyconfig2:/config --volume /home/storagemedia:/storage --publish 28096:8096 --publish 28920:8920 --env UID=1000 --env GID=1000 emby/embyserver:latest

To be honest - I think my issues are arising from CPU IOWAIT issues. This is also casued by Emby as if I stop the Emby docker then the wait times goes back to normal. I use top, glances, iotop etc to verify this.

I think Ill wipe and reinstall - I did notice that the error message: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3

is probably quite normal as i installed a fresh Emby container on a fresh server and I didnt even login to do the initial setup when I saw the exact same messages in the htop command so I presume these are "normal" if someone could confirm that for me......................

sekondchakra

Got emby-server running in a docker container (thanks, PRAGMA), and can connect to it reliably with browsers, but get consistent time-outs with both the Roku Emby app and the Android Emby app after the initial setup.

On first connect, I have to manually enter the IP addr and port and then login.  Everything is fine until I return to the Roku Home page and start the Emby app again.   At this point it times-out.  I've tried deleting the app and restarting the Roku device then re-installing the app.  Same issue.  

I have been running a "non-docker" emby server without issue for several months, and it still works reliably.  I've ensured that both are NOT running at the same time. 

sekondchakra

Got the living room Roku to connect after opening port 7359 on my router to the host machine, but the bedroom Roku still won't connect.  Thought I had it solved there for a second...  The living room Roku is connected via ethernet cable; the bedroom Roku is WiFi...  Not sure if that's a contributing factor.  (The Emby app on the Android connects via Wifi )

4 hours ago, sekondchakra said:

Got emby-server running in a docker container (thanks, PRAGMA), and can connect to it reliably with browsers, but get consistent time-outs with both the Roku Emby app and the Android Emby app after the initial setup.

On first connect, I have to manually enter the IP addr and port and then login.  Everything is fine until I return to the Roku Home page and start the Emby app again.   At this point it times-out.  I've tried deleting the app and restarting the Roku device then re-installing the app.  Same issue.  

I have been running a "non-docker" emby server without issue for several months, and it still works reliably.  I've ensured that both are NOT running at the same time. 

Edited by sekondchakra

What IP address does it show on the server dashboard? It almost sounds like it doesn't understand it is on LAN. Is making attempts over WAN?

sekondchakra

Every device* except the bedroom Roku can automatically find the server at 192.168.1.129:8096.   To get the bedroom Roku to connect, I have to manually enter that IP number and port--every time I start the Emby app on that Roku.  If I back out to the Roku Home page, I have to repeat the process to reconnect to the Emby server.  It can't seem to "see" the server, and won't save the credentials for the next time, for some reason.  I've now forwarded all 4 ports to that LAN IP.  Even tried deleting and re-installing the app on the Roku (and then restarting the device). 

*Desktop, Laptop, Roku Ultra via wired connection to network.  Firefox & Emby app on Android phone.

[edit]  I'm seeing other threads about this issue.  Is it an Emby app bug?   I've reset both Roku devices and now they both need a manual connect each time. 

[2nd edit]  This is only an issue with my docker-based emby-server.  My pre-existing (pacman) emby-server works flawlessly. 

Edited by sekondchakra

mastrmind11
14 hours ago, sekondchakra said:

Every device* except the bedroom Roku can automatically find the server at 192.168.1.129:8096.   To get the bedroom Roku to connect, I have to manually enter that IP number and port--every time I start the Emby app on that Roku.  If I back out to the Roku Home page, I have to repeat the process to reconnect to the Emby server.  It can't seem to "see" the server, and won't save the credentials for the next time, for some reason.  I've now forwarded all 4 ports to that LAN IP.  Even tried deleting and re-installing the app on the Roku (and then restarting the device). 

*Desktop, Laptop, Roku Ultra via wired connection to network.  Firefox & Emby app on Android phone.

[edit]  I'm seeing other threads about this issue.  Is it an Emby app bug?   I've reset both Roku devices and now they both need a manual connect each time. 

[2nd edit]  This is only an issue with my docker-based emby-server.  My pre-existing (pacman) emby-server works flawlessly. 

DId you start the container in host mode?

• Like 1

sekondchakra
2 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

DId you start the container in host mode?

The tutorial I followed indicated that "bridge" mode should be selected.  

Your suggestion works MUCH better.  😎

mastrmind11
2 hours ago, sekondchakra said:

The tutorial I followed indicated that "bridge" mode should be selected.  

Your suggestion works MUCH better.  😎

yeah bridge gets a bit funky when you have multiple devices with different protocol implementations.  host mode just exposes your emby server as having the server's IP, which is much simpler for streamers to resolve.  glad you got it working (assuming that's what you meant)

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

sekondchakra

I got the two Roku devices going immediately, but didn't have time to test whether the change of mode might affect something else negatively.

mastrmind11
14 hours ago, sekondchakra said:

I got the two Roku devices going immediately, but didn't have time to test whether the change of mode might affect something else negatively.

nah you'll be fine.  i run in host mode and all of my rokus, shields, mi box's, tablets, tvs, etc have never had a problem in years.

Edited by mastrmind11

• 3 weeks later...
vaise

The vast majority of my dockers I use Custom: br0 mode - and give them all their own IP address.  Much easier to identify traffic then. 

No port mismatches either, and I can easily then filter them by IP address (or alias in my router - pfsense).

nginx, emby, only, tvheadend, jackett, qbittorrent, sabnzbd, sonarr, radarr,  embystat, speedtest, unify, get-iplayer.

For example, getiplayer uses a UK vpn always and qbitorrent, sonarr, radar, sab use a local group of VPN's.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I´m using emby 4.6.0.2 in docker.

Since a few weeks i always get error "check for plugin updates failed" and "Plugin XY installation failed"

Seems like a permission issue. What can i do to sort this out? Why is access to the patch not possible anymore?

Please keep in mind i am a docker /omv newbie.

I already changed puid from 998 (local user wich worked before) to 1000 (root)

Attached a embyserver.txt after a restart. I can not indicate any errors...

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Access to the path is denied.
at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
at Interop.CheckIo(Int64 result, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
at System.IO.FileSystem.CopyFile(String sourceFullPath, String destFullPath, Boolean overwrite)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.PerformPackageInstallation(IProgress`1 progress, String target, PackageVersionInfo package, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.InstallPackageInternal(PackageVersionInfo package, Boolean isPlugin, IProgress`1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.InstallPackage(PackageVersionInfo package, Boolean isPlugin, IProgress`1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.PluginUpdateTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

embyserver.txt

2020-10-09 10:20:09.600 Error InstallationManager: Package installation failed
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.0.2
	Command line: /app/emby/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /app/emby/ffdetect -ffmpeg /app/emby/ffmpeg -ffprobe /app/emby/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Linux version 5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6), GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.31.1) #1 SM
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.7
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: app/emby/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: /config
	Application path: /app/emby
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
	 ---> System.IO.IOException: Operation not permitted
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at Interop.ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo errorInfo, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
	   at Interop.CheckIo(Int64 result, String path, Boolean isDirectory, Func`2 errorRewriter)
	   at System.IO.FileSystem.CopyFile(String sourceFullPath, String destFullPath, Boolean overwrite)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.PerformPackageInstallation(IProgress`1 progress, String target, PackageVersionInfo package, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.InstallPackageInternal(PackageVersionInfo package, Boolean isPlugin, IProgress`1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Updates.InstallationManager.InstallPackage(PackageVersionInfo package, Boolean isPlugin, IProgress`1 progress, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: System.IO.FileSystem
	TargetSite: Void ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo, System.String, Boolean, System.Func`2[Interop+ErrorInfo,Interop+ErrorInfo])
	InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Operation not permitted
	Source: 
	TargetSite: 

2020-10-09 10:20:09.606 Error TaskManager: Error
	*** Error Report ***
	Command line: /app/emby/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /app/emby/ffdetect -ffmpeg /app/emby/ffmpeg -ffprobe /app/emby/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Linux version 5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 8.3.0 (Debian 8.3.0-6), GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.31.1) #1 SM
	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path is denied.
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.PluginUpdateTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)
	TargetSite: Void ThrowExceptionForIoErrno(ErrorInfo, System.String, Boolean, System.Func`2[Interop+ErrorInfo,Interop+ErrorInfo])

embyserver -after restart.txt.txt

Edited by maDhub

On 10/9/2020 at 6:55 AM, maDhub said:

Hello

I´m using emby 4.6.0.2 in docker.

Since a few weeks i always get error "check for plugin updates failed" and "Plugin XY installation failed"

Seems like a permission issue. What can i do to sort this out? Why is access to the patch not possible anymore?

Please keep in mind i am a docker /omv newbie.

I already changed puid from 998 (local user wich worked before) to 1000 (root)

Attached a embyserver.txt after a restart. I can not indicate any errors...

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Access to the path is denied.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

embyserver.txt

2020-10-09 10:20:09.600 Error InstallationManager: Package installation failed
	*** Error Report ***
	Source: 
	TargetSite: 

2020-10-09 10:20:09.606 Error TaskManager: Error
	*** Error Report ***

embyserver -after restart.txt.txt 21.11 kB · 0 downloads

I would make sure that the server has full recursive write access to it's data folder, /config. The error in the log suggests that permission has been taken away for whatever reason.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, Luke said:

I would make sure that the server has full recursive write access to it's data folder, /config. The error in the log suggests that permission has been taken away for whatever reason.

Yes, thank you. I did a reset permission first an than give the emny user read/write again. 

No errors so far. 

BAlGaInTl
On 7/27/2020 at 4:39 AM, NeoMatrix said:

My 2 dockers..........

docker run -d --volume /home/docker/embyconfig1:/config --volume /home/storagemedia:/storage --publish 18096:8096 --publish 18920:8920 --env UID=1000 --env GID=1000 emby/embyserver:latest

docker run -d --volume /home/docker/embyconfig2:/config --volume /home/storagemedia:/storage --publish 28096:8096 --publish 28920:8920 --env UID=1000 --env GID=1000 emby/embyserver:latest

To be honest - I think my issues are arising from CPU IOWAIT issues. This is also casued by Emby as if I stop the Emby docker then the wait times goes back to normal. I use top, glances, iotop etc to verify this.

I think Ill wipe and reinstall - I did notice that the error message: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3

is probably quite normal as i installed a fresh Emby container on a fresh server and I didnt even login to do the initial setup when I saw the exact same messages in the htop command so I presume these are "normal" if someone could confirm that for me......................

Just curious why you run two Docker's on the same Emby version, pointed to the same media?

I also run two, but I run one on the latest and one on the beta track.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:39 AM, NeoMatrix said:

My 2 dockers..........

Complete log file examples would be needed to answer that. Thanks.

I hope this might help someone.

Was having issues with Emby on OMV5, via docker/portainer 2.0.0, trying to get hardware encoding to work on an i5-2500k via VAAPI.   Read and tried every  config I could find to get it to work no luck. 

Finally  this setting allowed it to work. 

https://www.portainer.io/2020/08/security-settings-introduced-in-portainer-1-24-1/

Screenshot 2020-10-25 204700.jpg

Screenshot 2020-10-25 205151.jpg

Edited by aero83

kferrone

I ran Emby on my RaspberryPi-4b(8gbx3) k3s cluster with Ubuntu 20.04 as base OS. Then I mounted my TV shows as NFS (k8s pv) and SMB (in emby) over ethernet and tried them both on my LG OLED. Everything but mkv files worked like a charm with both types of mounts. I also tried with USB3.0 hard wired into the master node, mostly better with mkv. So it seems Emby in a container on Pi may not be the greatest option yet for streaming mkv.

I also tried the same library mounted as SMB (on host) running on my seriously beefy desktop computer with the Windows Emby server. Obviously it blew the pies out of the water, terrible comparison, like a few mopeds vs an F-16. At least I know the files themselves are not the issue nor is the network. 

Maybe I am missing something that could make this setup work better? . . . 

Does emby have some kind of option for downloading a file first before playing it, kinda like how Spotify and Netflix have offline mode? 

--- EDIT ---

I take it all back, it works well with mkv as long as your not trying to sync your media with 'Scan Media Library' task. I noticed when this task runs my CPU load can get up to 110%! Once it finishes and the PI takes a breather, mkv works fine in a container. 

Edited by kferrone
ran some more tests

17 hours ago, kferrone said:

Does emby have some kind of option for downloading a file first before playing it, kinda like how Spotify and Netflix have offline mode? 

Hi, yes our android, iOS and windows store apps have this.

French Frog
On 10/31/2020 at 1:46 AM, kferrone said:

So it seems Emby in a container on Pi may not be the greatest option yet for streaming mkv.

Works like a charm for me in a much more simpler form : no k3s cluster here, but a single Pi4 with USB3.

Got fed up with SMB for transferring files in that setup, I've switched to FTP.

Edited by French Frog