Emby next gen

quickmic

Bingie

One last question for emby next gen:

Is there a way, within kodi, to tell the emby server to record a live tv show/series?  Instead of kodi recording it locally?

Thanks

quickmic
6 minutes ago, Bingie said:

One last question for emby next gen:

Is there a way, within kodi, to tell the emby server to record a live tv show/series?  Instead of kodi recording it locally?

Thanks

Only single "content/item" is currently supported. EPG (Guide) menu -> context menu -> Emby Record

• Like 1

Bingie
36 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Only single "content/item" is currently supported. EPG (Guide) menu -> context menu -> Emby Record

Ah cool, thanks

• Like 1

MagicPinball

What is the recommended version?  What is the major difference between ver 8.1.x (and  7.x) and 1.0.7 (repository.emby.kodi-1.0.7.zip)?  Both versions are being referenced by Kodi and Emby.  Is there a benefit using v 8.1.x (or 7.x) over ver 1.0.7?

quickmic
8 hours ago, MagicPinball said:

What is the recommended version?  What is the major difference between ver 8.1.x (and  7.x) and 1.0.7 (repository.emby.kodi-1.0.7.zip)?  Both versions are being referenced by Kodi and Emby.  Is there a benefit using v 8.1.x (or 7.x) over ver 1.0.7?

Depends how you define benefits. If you running a "simple" setup -> movies, episodes, musicvideos and music with a low to medium sized library on a stable version Emby server, you will not experience to much difference.

Emby server > 4.8.0.19 is NOT compatible with 7.X. In this case 8.X is mandatory.

Bigger improvements related to live TV/EPG sync, Watch together/Remote mode. Also 8.X is optimized for Kodi 20.

Then there are some minor improvements like HDR flags support for Kodi 20, NowPlayingQueue support for Emby remote playback etc. Also lot's of stuff has changed under the hood but if you are not missing any features there is no need to upgrade at this point.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Would it be possible to describe the official current procedure for multiuser usage of this addon (or point me at it if I am being blind please).

I can see a lot of random posts and tickets on the subject (some of which are mine) but the ecosystem has advanced so much since then I suspect they are superseded.

For example under connect to server you can see an option to "add user". My test setup here is not using an admin account so that might explain why I get a permissions "your access to emby is restricted" error but I can find not documentation on what this feature actually does. It sounds like it might be related?

quickmic
3 hours ago, xe` said:

Would it be possible to describe the official current procedure for multiuser usage of this addon (or point me at it if I am being blind please).

I can see a lot of random posts and tickets on the subject (some of which are mine) but the ecosystem has advanced so much since then I suspect they are superseded.

For example under connect to server you can see an option to "add user". My test setup here is not using an admin account so that might explain why I get a permissions "your access to emby is restricted" error but I can find not documentation on what this feature actually does. It sounds like it might be related?

Yes, but you are digging in the wrong place. I guess "Add user" is not what you want. It adds another user to a session. I think you want a second user profile which is a standard Kodi function.

Edited by quickmic

Thanks for the clarification. I actually thought about this after I posted but never followed up as it didn't seem like adding a session user via the main connect to server dialogue would be logical along with the permissions issues so it "couldn't be this". Suggest the word "session" is added to the dialogue somewhere to remove future confusion.

So the basic premise to onboard multiple users would still be to:

• create a local Kodi user profile for each Emby user
  • login to a the local Kodi user profile and configure this addon for the associated Emby user
  • wait until initial sync complete
  • repeat for all local Kodi users
  • repeat all above for all devices

Are there any ways we could think of to make this slicker? The effort is not huge but it is very laborious and the sync phases will mean this is a VERY long time end to end.

• Like 1

quickmic
3 minutes ago, xe` said:

The effort is not huge but it is very laborious and the sync phases will mean this is a VERY long time end to end.

Which plugin version are you using? The sync is very fast in 7.X and 8.X.

Are there any ways we could think of to make this slicker?

Not possible, cause each emby user has its own library access rights and more important. Its own progress status.

I am using 7.13.7 via LibreELEC 11.0.1 running on an Allwinner TX6 for testing.

It is definitely much faster syncing than the last time I attempted this but its is more than just sync time. We solely use LibreELEC for our family with each TV having a LibreELEC instance. This currently means 7 profiles per device for total of 63.

You can see how laborious this will be, dozens and dozens of steps. (honestly just picture if this task was in front of you this weekend doing it 63 times in three different home :)

I was hoping there would be some steps that could be made simpler, scriptable setup or autodetection. Even small saving would add up.

quickmic
9 minutes ago, xe` said:

I am using 7.13.7 via LibreELEC 11.0.1 running on an Allwinner TX6 for testing.

It is definitely much faster syncing than the last time I attempted this but its is more than just sync time. We solely use LibreELEC for our family with each TV having a LibreELEC instance. This currently means 7 profiles per device for total of 63.

You can see how laborious this will be, dozens and dozens of steps. (honestly just picture if this task was in front of you this weekend doing it 63 times in three different home :)

I was hoping there would be some steps that could be made simpler, scriptable setup or autodetection. Even small saving would add up.

As mentioned, not possible.

Kodi actually uses individual databases/settings etc for each profile.

There are shortcuts, but you need to be an expert how Kodi actually works (copy profile and remove user specific setting on filebase level). Nothing I would explain, too complected.

Edited by quickmic

Understood. I would say I am probably expert enough to do this at the OS level as-is but it gets especially tricky when you are working cross architectures.

Thanks for taking the time to think about this for me. I think I am just pushing the limits of what can be done and paying the price for it. Kodi user profiles are inherently not designed for this kind of multi-device support and working around that is ultimately the pain we have to suffer.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Shattered
On 10/7/2023 at 2:02 AM, quickmic said:

yes

Thanks! So i'm trying this out but could use a bit of help. Is sync something that happens regardless of whether you choose native or addon mode? I was able to add the emby next gen to kodi and login. However it seems to be trying to sync a bunch of content even though I selected addon mode. Is there a way to turn this off? I also see two sets of libraries, sync and dynamic. 

Can you please help. Also is there a guide for proper set up and all the different options / what they mean? Thanks

quickmic
18 hours ago, Shattered said:

Also for syncing, how much storage does that take up typically? What is getting "synced"? Thanks

Syncing means, Kodi's database and Emby's database will be synced, not the content. Therefore the filespace will be small.

For starters, use addon mode and forget the native mode, that's for edge cases.

Have a look at the FAQ, it should provide you with additional information.

Edited by quickmic

• 4 weeks later...
Shattered

Two things I was wondering about

* Are there plans to add the ability to search to the dynamic libraries? Is there a way to do this now? 
* Is there a way to set all episodes to be sorted by episode number instead of title? It seems the default is title and I have to change it per folder in kodi. 

Thanks

quickmic
3 hours ago, Shattered said:

Two things I was wondering about

* Are there plans to add the ability to search to the dynamic libraries? Is there a way to do this now? 
* Is there a way to set all episodes to be sorted by episode number instead of title? It seems the default is title and I have to change it per folder in kodi. 

Thanks

Not for 8.X but I put it on the todo list for 9.X I'm currently working on.

• 1 month later...

I am a long term Kodi user, since XBMC 9.04 Babylon, and have always used their internal database. When I set up my Emby server a couple of months ago, I saw that it could be used to replace the internal Kodi database. So I have been researching using Emby with Kodi since then, and I am a little confused on a couple of things.

1. To use Emby with Kodi, Nexus on an NvIdia Shield TV, I just need to install this add on?

2. Once installed, using "Add-On" mode, can I use the default Kodi Estuary skin?

3. Will my content show up in the appropriate sections of Kodi's home screen? ie. Movies in Movies, TV Shows in TV Shows, etc... Or will I have to browse to the Add-on section of Kodi to see my content?

4. Should I install the Kodi Companion Plugin on my Emby server?

I must apologize if I am over thinking things. I have a habit of doing that when trying out something new.

Thank you for your time and help. I truly do appreciate it.

Mark

TheFreeMan
8 hours ago, linesma said:

I am a long term Kodi user, since XBMC 9.04 Babylon, and have always used their internal database. When I set up my Emby server a couple of months ago, I saw that it could be used to replace the internal Kodi database. So I have been researching using Emby with Kodi since then, and I am a little confused on a couple of things.

1. To use Emby with Kodi, Nexus on an NvIdia Shield TV, I just need to install this add on?

2. Once installed, using "Add-On" mode, can I use the default Kodi Estuary skin?

3. Will my content show up in the appropriate sections of Kodi's home screen? ie. Movies in Movies, TV Shows in TV Shows, etc... Or will I have to browse to the Add-on section of Kodi to see my content?

4. Should I install the Kodi Companion Plugin on my Emby server?

I must apologize if I am over thinking things. I have a habit of doing that when trying out something new.

Thank you for your time and help. I truly do appreciate it.

Mark

1. I believe so, but I've never used an Nvidia Shield

2. Yes, use any skin you'd like. You can use the Embruary skin if you like the look of Emby

3. Yes, no need to go to the Add-on secion

4. I do have the Kodi Companion plugin installed in Emby. I don't know if it's required but it certainly doesn't hurt.

• Like 1

quickmic
5 hours ago, TheFreeMan said:

4. I do have the Kodi Companion plugin installed in Emby. I don't know if it's required but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Yes it is required for a proper offline sync (for deleted content).

• Like 1

@TheFreeManand @quickmicThank you both for your answers. I now understand how it all works. As I was afraid of, I was over thinking the whole process. Once I finish replacing a couple of HDD's in my server and make sure the nfo and image files for my music library are in the proper place, I will do the switch over to Emby.

Thank you again so much. I truly do appreciate it.

• Like 2

zenkichi08

quick question:

has anybody tried running Emby for Kodi next Gen on one of the new Amazon FireTV 4k MAX 2nd Gen?

they're on sale currently htinking about getting one

Trapperjohn61

Yes I am running latest kodi 20.2 and latest Emby 8.2.15 for about a month now and no problems in fact it is a bit more responsive than previous max stick I had first version.

no issues highly recommend 

Bryan

@zenkichi08

Edited by Trapperjohn61