Jump to content

Emby next gen


quickmic
Go to solution Solved by Nosepull,

Recommended Posts

CURRENT STABLE VERSION:

Changelog:
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/releases/tag/5.3.3

 

 

 

Introduction:
Emby team is glad to present a new addon for Kodi media center.
It's available in our Kodi repository labeled as "emby-next-gen".
The new plugin is not just an evolution of the previous "Emby" plugin version, it's a complete (70%) rewritten code.
Design flaws of the previous version are now fixed and covers a lot of issues and incompatibilities.
Most 3rd party Kodi plugins are supported by default.


System requirements:
Emby server: 4.2.0.23 or higher
Kodi: 18 or higher


Migration:
The old "Emby" plugin supports up to Kodi 18.X.
"Emby-next-gen" plugin supports Kodi 18.X and higher.
Migration mode is available in "emby-next-gen". It keeps the "Emby" settings for "Emby-next-gen" however, a full database resync is still mandatory and not reversable after migration was initiated!
Recommendation is a complete wipe of Kodi and its addons and begin with a clean installation.
Kodi backups are recommended before migration.


Limitations:
Even if "emby-next-gen" is declared as stable there are still some limitations.
- Sleep mode/hibernate is not supported
- Multi (Emby) server not supported
- Playlist (Dynamic) Artwork not supported
- Distributed TV Shows over multiple Folders/Hard drives not supported
We are still working on those limitations and will be fixed in the next releases...


Installation:
There are two options available: Native and Addon mode
Addon-mode is highly recommended! Even if you used native mode in past, don't use it with "emby-next-gen" unless you have a very special case.
Most of the drawbacks of native mode with the "old" plugin are covered.
Addon-mode supports all "emby-next-gen" features, while native mode doesn't. e.g., multi-video, trailer, 3D, transcoding support etc.


Finally:
If you still use Kodi 18, you can choose between "Emby" or "Emby-next-gen".
Kodi 19 requires "Emby-next-gen".
If you are happy with "Emby", keep it a bit longer and wait a few weeks.
Even lots of people participated in testing (many thanks for all the feedback), it's still quite new.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done and huge thanks to @quickmic for all the hard work you've put in to bringing this up to date. Looking forward to trying it out 😊

Edited by emdubya77
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many thanks for the great addon and the further development of the integration in Kodi.

It really runs very well.
What bothers me a bit, however, is the skin rebuild that your addon initiates... I mean, you said that you had solved some problem with it.

It's not a big deal, but I can't keep the set focus (on FILMS) this way. For example, I want the main menu to be set to "FILMS" at the beginning. Kodi is also there. But then EmbyNextGen starts and immediately jumps to the menu item "SERIES". It practically jumps once to the right. (In reality, WHEREVER I AM, it always jumps to "SERIES".

Auswahl_388.thumb.png.35b3f8fe120223ea29a582a4a46c6218.png

This is just a hint or constructive criticism.
It would therefore be nice if you could somehow avoid this "skin rebuild".

Then something about your predecessor @Angelblue05:
I would like to thank you here as well, because without her/him this addon would probably not exist, right? Besides, it's kind of strange that he/she has disappeared so secretly...

Well... 

Kind regards
Tommy

Edited by tosa65
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2021 at 6:31 AM, tosa65 said:

Then something about your predecessor @Angelblue05:

I would like to thank you here as well, because without her/him this addon would probably not exist, right? Besides, it's kind of strange that he/she has disappeared so secretly...

 

+1 to that, hopefully nothing too bad happened to her ( I like to think she was a she)

But QuickMic + TeamB seem to have pick up just were she left off.

 

I'm wondering what % of all Emby users are using Emby for Kodi/Embycon

My pinky tells me small share getting smaller, with the ton of alternatives* out there. That being said, once a Kodi head...

 

* All the rage (and apparently most emby update work being worked on) is Android TV

 

Edited by CharleyVarrick
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

i have a problem with this version in series, that a merged between two folders. In series folder in emby app i see only the content of the first folder. In the standard series kodi folder i have two entrys.

i dont know if related to 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Correct, this is listed as limitation:

Quote

- Distributed TV Shows over multiple Folders/Hard drives not supported

I'll fix it in one of the next versions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

+1 to that, hopefully nothing too bad happened to her ( I like to think she was a she)

But QuickMic + TeamB seem to have pick up just were she left off.

 

I'm wondering what % of all Emby users are using Emby for Kodi/Embycon

My pinky tells me small share, with the ton of alternatives out there. That being said, once a Kodi head...

Yes angleblue was a she. I think she just moved on to new things, supporting an addon like this can be very time and energy consuming, after a while if you can not get the balance correct you can burn out.

I have been working on these addons on and off for years now (originally as null_pointer but I changed names due to confusion), you need to be able to take a step back sometimes, users can and will be very demanding at times, I have a strong idea what I want EmbyCon to be so stick to that but it can be an easy trap to fall into to try to add all the things to a project users ask for. This will end in a bloated hard to support mess that will quickly cause frustration and consume you.

I am not part of the Emby team, I built EmbyCon because I use it, I am just a user. I am not sure if quickmic is team emby or not, if the new next gen is an emby made and supported addon or not, this has not been made clear at this point.

EDIT: actually that is not true, it looks like this is the official emby addon now as the first post states it is from team emby, so there you have it, this is the official supported team emby addon now.

 

Edited by TeamB
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, quickmic said:

Migration:

 


Recommendation is a complete wipe of Kodi and its addons and begin with a clean installation.

I have just updated (before seeing this) and I will probably perform a clean install next w/e

One of of my instance of Kodi, when I properly exit, (as opposed to clicking the X) Kodi goes not responding 3 times out of 4

Apart from this, I have not experienced anything bad.

 

Unrelated but wife begged me to go back to default skin "how it was before", she was completely lost in Rapier

 

Edited by CharleyVarrick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TeamB said:

Yes angleblue was a she. I think she just moved on to new things, supporting an addon like this can be very time and energy consuming, after a while if you can not get the balance correct you can burn out.

I have been working on these addons on and off for years now (originally as null_pointer but I changed names due to confusion), you need to be able to take a step back sometimes, users can and will be very demanding at times,

 

 

Not "it can be", it is time and energy consuming, this is very likely the reason why. She knew the system by heart.

I remember a bad Emby update that almost fried Emby for Kodi (a year or two ago) that seem to have taken its toll on her.

Having been thru some computer crisis myself, it just take over everything in your life until you find a solution, not the greatest nor most glamorous situation to be in.

I remember your former forum handle, you've helped me a few times in the past. Belated thanks. 🙂

 

Edited by CharleyVarrick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CharleyVarrick said:

Apart from this, I have not experienced anything bad.

 

Keep it, it's just a recommendation. Actually Kodi 19 breaks so many plugins, it's better to start from scratch to have a defined state. Especially for people who used a lot of plugins in Kodi 18.

Even if plugins are already migrated to Kodi 19, they mostly in a early dev state.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of plugin,

I was using and relying on a great Kodi plugin named "Next Aired TV Show" (or something along the line) that gave me a custom tv guide for all shows I am following.

But by kodi v18,  it began to give country.id error  and would not update, which, in a tv guide context, is rather critical

 

I was please to notice Kodi 19 (with Rapier skin) offering a built in similar feature right from Home screen (without any need for 3rd party plugin)

Of course Emby does offer its own built in version of that by simply going in tv shows, and selecting Upcoming on top.

It works 90% OK, but for some reason, it completely ignores some show, so I like to have Kodi covering its back as well.

I've asked once or twice about the missing 10% in main forum and was basically told to clam it or else they'd remove Upcoming altogether.

Edited by CharleyVarrick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

cool, I am just updating the Status post and wanted to put in links to the source for addons.

Also a question on the status of the older Emby addon, would it now be considered no longer maintained?

And does the new Emby Next Gen support dynamic listing of items?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"older Emby addon" is EOL

"Emby Next Gen support dynamic listing of items", yes it does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m running Kodi Matrix with E4K 5.1.17 in a Win 10 test machine.
Emby server 4.5.4.0 is running on a Synology NAS.

In Kodi most of the cast thumbs are shown twice, in the Emby Web Client everything is as expected and every cast member is shown only once.

I tried with both the default Estuary Skin and Aeon Nox SiLVO, both show the same issue.
Any tips on how to fix this?
 

Edited by BaukeZwart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it possible to put the "Emby Play" context menu item from the old version back into this. It was a very useful feature that allowed the selection of multiversion movies and also use of cinema mode while keeping the system in Native Mode, to allow the use of bonus features in movies and shows? It would be appreciated to have that ability again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/11/2021 at 5:22 AM, BaukeZwart said:

I’m running Kodi Matrix with E4K 5.1.17 in a Win 10 test machine.
Emby server 4.5.4.0 is running on a Synology NAS.

In Kodi most of the cast thumbs are shown twice, in the Emby Web Client everything is as expected and every cast member is shown only once.

I tried with both the default Estuary Skin and Aeon Nox SiLVO, both show the same issue.
Any tips on how to fix this?
 

Did you do a clean install of Kodi or like me (update Kodi, breaking E4K in the process, finding out here about emby-next-gen, local database reset, and having to add all libraries back)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, TeamB said:

Yes angleblue was a she. I think she just moved on to new things, supporting an addon like this can be very time and energy consuming, after a while if you can not get the balance correct you can burn out.

Yes, I think so too... I also believe that something like this requires a very strong character to be able to remain somewhat calm. 

THEREFORE: Thank you all for helping so much that it runs smoothly...

Stay as you are...

Love greetings
Tommy
 

(Kann hier jemand Deutsch? Liebe Grüsse schreibe ich immer, weil ich es so meine. Doch "Love Greetings" klingt voll schwul... Ist das so?) :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, tosa65 said:

Yes, I think so too... I also believe that something like this requires a very strong character to be able to remain somewhat calm. 

THEREFORE: Thank you all for helping so much that it runs smoothly...

Stay as you are...

Love greetings
Tommy
 

(Kann hier jemand Deutsch? Liebe Grüsse schreibe ich immer, weil ich es so meine. Doch "Love Greetings" klingt voll schwul... Ist das so?) :P

The proverbial "iron fist in a velvet glove" described her quite well, although with me, it was all velvet.

(she must have helped me with 100 issues)

 

Million thanks again if you're reading this incognito somewhere

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, RaptorCentauri said:

Is it possible to put the "Emby Play" context menu item from the old version back into this. It was a very useful feature that allowed the selection of multiversion movies and also use of cinema mode while keeping the system in Native Mode, to allow the use of bonus features in movies and shows? It would be appreciated to have that ability again.

Yes would be, but I don't wanna 😉

Actually, there is a reason why I removed that function. It requires playlist manipulations what I try to avoid. Several issues in 4.x. are related to playlist manipulations.

Do you have a specific reason not using addon mode?

Edited by quickmic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Yes would be, but I don't wanna 😉

Actually, there is a reason why I removed that function. It requires playlist manipulations what I try to avoid. Several issues in 4.x. are related to playlist manipulations.

Do you have a specific reason not using addon mode?

Yes, I have a specific reason for not using add-on mode. I use the Extras add-on in Kodi that requires a direct path to the media. The caveat is I also have several movies with multiple versions (Extend Cut, Directors Cut, etc) that I would like to be able to choose from. 

What were some of the issues happening in 4.x that were caused by that feature?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RaptorCentauri said:

What were some of the issues happening in 4.x that were caused by that feature?

e.g. Play next episode etc, playlist shuffle with external addons, wrong item labels in playlists.

Kodi should be in charge of playlists. If the plugin manipulates playlists, it's not following Kodi (playlist)-settings due to "manual" injections.

 

...I see what I can do.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a comprehensive list of pros and cons regarding Native vs  Add-On modes ?

Every time I'm faced with the 64k$ questions, I have to call my fortune reader for hints...

No rush, just curious

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...