Emby next gen

quickmic

hukt_own_fonikz

I have been having a heck of a time today trying to get this to work. I'll go through everything I tried because every single version gave me the same results. I started with LibreELEC 10.0.2, and went through the regular install instructions on the website - install the repo from zip, install regular Emby addon from repo. That didn't work because that version of Emby-for-Kodi didn't work with Kodi 19 Matrix (because of Python 2 dependency). So I did a little research and decided to go with LibreELEC 9.2.8 with Kodi 18 Leia. Emby-for-Kodi installed now. I installed regular Emby-for-Kodi via the repo like the instructions said. It installed, and rebooted. I was able to log into Emby, it asked all the questions, then it prompted for sources, and my options were All - Movies - TV Shows - Music. I selected All. No prompts on screen, it just went quiet. Nothing happened. Nothing in my Kodi Libraries. I went into the Addon and it had everything, complete with info and cover art. 

More research. Nothing substantial but this seems to be a somewhat recurring theme though most users seem to have only one or two libraries that wouldn't show up. So then I went for the Emby-for-Kodi Beta release. Exact same process, exact same results.

Then I find out about Emby-next-gen, and that works with Kodi 19 Matrix. Surely this is the solution. I reinstall LibreELEC 10.0.2, I install emby-next-gen from the repo. Exact same setup, exact same results.

THEN I found this thread, and about installing emby-next-gen latest builds. I installed the latest build, 7-0-8? Off the top of my head, whatever was at the bottom of the list. Again, exact same setup. This time because I just uninstalled emby-next-gen from the Kodi menu, when I installed from zip it did tell me I needed to reset my kodi libraries. It went through that, it rebooted. Exact same setup - login to Emby, add the sources, "All", still not showing up in Kodi, and this version has the "dynamic" and "synced" folders. All of my movies, TV shows, music are showing up in dynamic but not synced. By this time I've seen one of your setup Youtubes and noticed when you're adding Emby sources there's a screen popup with the progress. I'd never seen that.

So, I was on the cusp of coming here and asking questions when I figured I'd try one more thing - I reset the Kodi database again, and this time instead of adding "All" I just add Movies. BAM THERE'S THE POPUP. Everything adds, all is good. It works just like it was supposed to 4 hours ago. In setting up a separate Kodi profile (for a separate Emby login) I figured I'd go a step farther. I selected Movies, TV Shows, Music all individually. And yes, that worked too.

Sorry for the wall of text, I needed to vent because I've been beating my head against this for 4+ hours and I figured it would be worth spelling out my entire process.

TLDR there's a bug when adding "All" emby sources. Individual sources work even when you select them all, but "All" does not.

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2022 at 4:04 PM, kron0s said:

I am missing the thumbnails on the main home screen for movies and tv shows after upgrading to 6.2.11.   I tried everything I can think of, nothing works.  But collections thumbnails looks fine.  This is happening to both my devices.  I am using Embuary as a skin.  Should I downgrade back to 5.xx?  Help!

See attached

20220313_160035.jpg

FYI this is still broken for me under 6.xx even with a clean reinstalled running on kodi 18.9, embuary skin on the nvidia shield. Anyone else have his problem?

quickmic
4 hours ago, hukt_own_fonikz said:

I have been having a heck of a time today trying to get this to work. I'll go through everything I tried because every single version gave me the same results. I started with LibreELEC 10.0.2, and went through the regular install instructions on the website - install the repo from zip, install regular Emby addon from repo. That didn't work because that version of Emby-for-Kodi didn't work with Kodi 19 Matrix (because of Python 2 dependency). So I did a little research and decided to go with LibreELEC 9.2.8 with Kodi 18 Leia. Emby-for-Kodi installed now. I installed regular Emby-for-Kodi via the repo like the instructions said. It installed, and rebooted. I was able to log into Emby, it asked all the questions, then it prompted for sources, and my options were All - Movies - TV Shows - Music. I selected All. No prompts on screen, it just went quiet. Nothing happened. Nothing in my Kodi Libraries. I went into the Addon and it had everything, complete with info and cover art. 

More research. Nothing substantial but this seems to be a somewhat recurring theme though most users seem to have only one or two libraries that wouldn't show up. So then I went for the Emby-for-Kodi Beta release. Exact same process, exact same results.

Then I find out about Emby-next-gen, and that works with Kodi 19 Matrix. Surely this is the solution. I reinstall LibreELEC 10.0.2, I install emby-next-gen from the repo. Exact same setup, exact same results.

THEN I found this thread, and about installing emby-next-gen latest builds. I installed the latest build, 7-0-8? Off the top of my head, whatever was at the bottom of the list. Again, exact same setup. This time because I just uninstalled emby-next-gen from the Kodi menu, when I installed from zip it did tell me I needed to reset my kodi libraries. It went through that, it rebooted. Exact same setup - login to Emby, add the sources, "All", still not showing up in Kodi, and this version has the "dynamic" and "synced" folders. All of my movies, TV shows, music are showing up in dynamic but not synced. By this time I've seen one of your setup Youtubes and noticed when you're adding Emby sources there's a screen popup with the progress. I'd never seen that.

So, I was on the cusp of coming here and asking questions when I figured I'd try one more thing - I reset the Kodi database again, and this time instead of adding "All" I just add Movies. BAM THERE'S THE POPUP. Everything adds, all is good. It works just like it was supposed to 4 hours ago. In setting up a separate Kodi profile (for a separate Emby login) I figured I'd go a step farther. I selected Movies, TV Shows, Music all individually. And yes, that worked too.

Sorry for the wall of text, I needed to vent because I've been beating my head against this for 4+ hours and I figured it would be worth spelling out my entire process.

TLDR there's a bug when adding "All" emby sources. Individual sources work even when you select them all, but "All" does not.

Thanks for reporting and your persistence. Lot of users would have already quit at some point. So the core issue appears when you select "all".

Currently I don't know why this happen but must be specific to your Emby server (library) configuration. At the moment I cannot tell you why. For a bug review I need a kodi.log after you triggered the "all" issue.

Maybe you can retry it in on a PC (easier to debug for you) and forward me the log. I really wanna know what's going wrong so I can fix it.

hukt_own_fonikz
11 hours ago, quickmic said:

Thanks for reporting and your persistence. Lot of users would have already quit at some point. So the core issue appears when you select "all".

Currently I don't know why this happen but must be specific to your Emby server (library) configuration. At the moment I cannot tell you why. For a bug review I need a kodi.log after you triggered the "all" issue.

Maybe you can retry it in on a PC (easier to debug for you) and forward me the log. I really wanna know what's going wrong so I can fix it.

Well, the bug here is me, I'm astronomically stupid. In trying to repeat steps, I have now realized that I never actually selected "All" I was just hitting okay because it looked to me like "All" was highlighted already. And then my files were completely visible in the Add-On so I just assumed that they were importing but something else was broken. Shoot me in the face!

• Like 1

quickmic
On 9/12/2022 at 3:55 AM, kron0s said:

FYI this is still broken for me under 6.xx even with a clean reinstalled running on kodi 18.9, embuary skin on the nvidia shield. Anyone else have his problem?

Can you perform a test with 7.x (which requires Kodi 19)? Also I currently rewriting the artwork loading code for next 7.X version (not released yet).

quickmic
On 9/12/2022 at 3:55 AM, kron0s said:

Also try disable skin reload on startup.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am still having my issue with emby next gen. Keep switching between emby next gen and embycon. I reinstalled stable version of emby-nextgen, beta (6.22) and now 7.10.4.

The issue is, if I use the native emyb app on android and try to continue an episode, it will always start from the beginning and I lose my timestamps.

• I tried to connect both, nextgen and android client via emby connect and direct connect
  • When I start watching an episode on android app and then cast while watching it works
  • When I use Yastse to start casting it works
  • Only when I use the emby app it resets the timestamp

Any idea how I can solve this? I don't really want to reinstall kodi from stretch, but I run out of ideas.

quickmic
3 minutes ago, averon said:

Hello, I am still having my issue with emby next gen. Keep switching between emby next gen and embycon. I reinstalled stable version of emby-nextgen, beta (6.22) and now 7.10.4.

The issue is, if I use the native emyb app on android and try to continue an episode, it will always start from the beginning and I lose my timestamps.

• I tried to connect both, nextgen and android client via emby connect and direct connect
  • When I start watching an episode on android app and then cast while watching it works
  • When I use Yastse to start casting it works
  • Only when I use the emby app it resets the timestamp

Any idea how I can solve this? I don't really want to reinstall kodi from stretch, but I run out of ideas.

You need to review each app and exactly identify the issue. Perform tests with all apps -> (e.g. start/seek/stop) and check the status on Emby server after each.

If there is a confirmed bug in next-gen, I can surly fix it.

If one of the other apps has a bug, you can report them there.

22 minutes ago, quickmic said:

You need to review each app and exactly identify the issue. Perform tests with all apps -> (e.g. start/seek/stop) and check the status on Emby server after each.

If there is a confirmed bug in next-gen, I can surly fix it.

If one of the other apps has a bug, you can report them there.

I'd like to use only the emby app, i started an episode. seeked forward, stopped and I see the progress immadiately on the emby server. I resumme the episode and it starts over.

If I start, seek and stop, then resumme the episode via android emby app, or via emby web client and then cast to nextgen, while playing, it works.

quickmic
2 minutes ago, averon said:

I'd like to use only the emby app, i started an episode. seeked forward, stopped and I see the progress immadiately on the emby server. I resumme the episode and it starts over.

If I start, seek and stop, then resumme the episode via android emby app, or via emby web client and then cast to nextgen, while playing, it works.

Ok, but this an emby for kodi thread and you are reporting an Emby app bug.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve been running Kodi with Emby Nextgen on Nvidia Shield successfully for awhile.I progressed to the Nexus nightlife’s also without issue.

Then I saw the recent work on Java BD menus which has been a bugbear, and especially now it’s aligned to core Nexus tried the switch.

As part of reinstalling I got problems straightaway with ‘file cannot play’ errors. Trial and error determined there were no issues with Emby Server setup on Windows, and SMB shares could be browsed from File Manager, and played fine via Kodi Media Library if mapped. So I think it’s an Emby Nextgen issue.

Then realised I’d installed the Emby Beta Repository 1.0.10 and using Nextgen 7.13.6

When I reverted to stable Repository 1.0.7 and Nextgen 6.2.22 everything is working fine.

As an example ;

I share movies, tvshows and scifi using Windows SMB. In the Emby Server Library I substitute path like so

\\192.168.1.2\tvshows

Emby Nextgen on startup successfully finds and creates libraries for everything, with episodes and metadata. But when I try and play anything I get ‘Playback failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log for more information about this message.But nothing shows in the Kodi log when I try with log viewer. However, only tvshows/sci-fi that make up the TVShows Library have the issue, Movies and Music play fine in the main.

All my TV and Film is ISO files so as an example

tvshows Folder

Magnum, P.I. (1980)

Subfolder

Season 1

File

MAGNUM PI (1980) S01E01E02E03E04.ISO

movies folder

Serenity (2005)

File

SERENITY (2005).ISO

From the above, Serenity plays fine from Movies hub, Magnum errors from TV hub.

In terms of helping troubleshoot this, I tried a few things, mix and matching, and I think it might have something to do with file names and/or metadata. Maybe file path too long in TV shows, or brackets, commas in the longer path? The metadata is all scraped from thetvdb. 

Let me know if I can provide any more info.

Edited by kougei

quickmic
53 minutes ago, kougei said:

I’ve been running Kodi with Emby Nextgen on Nvidia Shield successfully for awhile.I progressed to the Nexus nightlife’s also without issue.

Then I saw the recent work on Java BD menus which has been a bugbear, and especially now it’s aligned to core Nexus tried the switch.

As part of reinstalling I got problems straightaway with ‘file cannot play’ errors. Trial and error determined there were no issues with Emby Server setup on Windows, and SMB shares could be browsed from File Manager, and played fine via Kodi Media Library if mapped. So I think it’s an Emby Nextgen issue.

Then realised I’d installed the Emby Beta Repository 1.0.10 and using Nextgen 7.13.6

When I reverted to stable Repository 1.0.7 and Nextgen 6.2.22 everything is working fine.

As an example ;

I share movies, tvshows and scifi using Windows SMB. In the Emby Server Library I substitute path like so

\\192.168.1.2\tvshows

Emby Nextgen on startup successfully finds and creates libraries for everything, with episodes and metadata. But when I try and play anything I get ‘Playback failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log for more information about this message.But nothing shows in the Kodi log when I try with log viewer. However, only tvshows/sci-fi that make up the TVShows Library have the issue, Movies and Music play fine in the main.

tvshows Folder

Magnum, P.I. (1980)

Subfolder

Season 1

File

movies folder

Serenity (2005)

File

SERENITY (2005).ISO

In terms of helping troubleshoot this, I tried a few things, mix and matching, and I think it might have something to do with file names and/or metadata. Maybe file path too long in TV shows, or brackets, commas in the longer path? The metadata is all scraped from thetvdb. 

I need a Kodi.log to review the issue.

quickmic
13 hours ago, kougei said:

As an example ;

\\192.168.1.2\tvshows

tvshows Folder

Magnum, P.I. (1980)

Subfolder

Season 1

File

movies folder

Serenity (2005)

File

SERENITY (2005).ISO

Did you try native mode? Probably an issue in addon mode issue.

EDIT:

I think I found the problem, will be fixed in 8.X but ISO in native mode should work in 7.x as well.

btw, all iso's in addon mode (beside movie content) suffers from this issue. Means, TVShows, musicvideos etc. Only movie has a correct fallback to native playback in addon mode.

Please let me know, if native mode solves the problem.

Edited by quickmic

Thanks for quick reply.

I installed 7.13.6 which uninstalled previous version and prompted me for full database reset.

This time I selected Native Mode and let the Libraries rebuild. So far so good. I could swear I’d tested this before, with no luck, but seems ok at this point. Glad you found the issue and look forward to 8.x

P.S. I assume there is an FAQ fir supplying logs. Only way I found was to install Kodi Log Viewer Addon. But tgis did not show any obvious error related to what I was seeing above.

• 2 months later...
Bingie
On 5/1/2022 at 9:17 AM, quickmic said:

You don't have to configure anything in Simple IPTV (PVR IPTV Simple Client) just install/enable it. Next-gen plugin will configure everything for you.

Just install Simple IPTV, then goto next-gen config menu -> sync -> manage libraries -> Sync LiveTV

That's it. It will import all Data from Emby server LiveTV to Simple IPTV.

@quickmicHi, does this work?  I can't get this to work.  Is there a certain order?

I'll do a hard reset, then try again.  What's the order?  Should I install the simple iptv client before the embynextgen addon, so it detects it?  If I install it after, then choose sync, it never does anything.  Does it work with the embuary addon?  Should I install that last?

I always just configured m3c's in kodi directly, never knew it could pull live tv from an emby server.  I would love to get this working!

Thanks

Bingie

Nope, doesn't work.  Just did a hard reset in LibreELEC back to original, installed all current/latest:

LibreELEC 11.0.1 (Generic.x86_64) on Intel mini-pc

IPTV Simple Client 20.9.1.1 (from LibreELEC repo), also tried from kodi repo

Kodi 20.1.0 20.1-Nexus (latest)

Emby Server Version 4.7.11.0 (on windows 10)

Emby for Kodi Next Gen 8.1.1 (from beta emby media repo)

If I go into the emby addon, in the dynamic nodes, it sees the live tv channels I have, but any attempt to play always results in "playback failed" message.

When first booting libreelec/kodi, get a message that says "lost connection" with iptv source.  Also, when go to the Kodi TV menu option, it's blank.  If I hit enter, it says "PVR manager is starting up: 0%", gives the rotating wheel indicating it's doing something, but nothing.  Not frozen, can back out of the screen.

I'll upload a libreelec log file, when I figure out how to do that, although that's probably more appropriate over on the libreelec forums.  Anyways, I tried again.  Sure would be nice to get this working.

quickmic
5 hours ago, Bingie said:

Nope, doesn't work.  Just did a hard reset in LibreELEC back to original, installed all current/latest:

LibreELEC 11.0.1 (Generic.x86_64) on Intel mini-pc

IPTV Simple Client 20.9.1.1 (from LibreELEC repo), also tried from kodi repo

Kodi 20.1.0 20.1-Nexus (latest)

Emby Server Version 4.7.11.0 (on windows 10)

Emby for Kodi Next Gen 8.1.1 (from beta emby media repo)

If I go into the emby addon, in the dynamic nodes, it sees the live tv channels I have, but any attempt to play always results in "playback failed" message.

When first booting libreelec/kodi, get a message that says "lost connection" with iptv source.  Also, when go to the Kodi TV menu option, it's blank.  If I hit enter, it says "PVR manager is starting up: 0%", gives the rotating wheel indicating it's doing something, but nothing.  Not frozen, can back out of the screen.

I'll upload a libreelec log file, when I figure out how to do that, although that's probably more appropriate over on the libreelec forums.  Anyways, I tried again.  Sure would be nice to get this working.

iptv simple plugin has changed in Kodi 20.X. I'll try to fix it in next 8.X version.

• Thanks 1

Bingie
12 hours ago, quickmic said:

iptv simple plugin has changed in Kodi 20.X. I'll try to fix it in next 8.X version.

Does it work in Kodi 19?

This is a fresh install, I'd be willing to install the older stable version if everything works.  I'm new to Kodi, started with the latest 20.

Thanks

quickmic
2 minutes ago, Bingie said:

Does it work in Kodi 19?

This is a fresh install, I'd be willing to install the older stable version if everything works.  I'm new to Kodi, started with the latest 20.

Thanks

8.X works with both, but Kodi 20.X is latest stable version (if you install from scratch, why not Kodi 20)

I use Kodi 19 via osmc devices and Kodi 20 on my PC/Laptop. Both bested, so far no issues found.

quickmic

btw, use live tv via "sync" -> iptv simple, don't use via dynamic nodes. No need for, also not well tested.

Edited by quickmic

Bingie
33 minutes ago, quickmic said:

8.X works with both, but Kodi 20.X is latest stable version (if you install from scratch, why not Kodi 20)

I use Kodi 19 via osmc devices and Kodi 20 on my PC/Laptop. Both bested, so far no issues found.

So it does work in latest kodi?  What, use the older iptv client?  I'll try that next.

btw I just tested the older stable libreELEC which has kodi 19.5 and iptv 19.2.2.1, and yes, it synced live tv just fine.  Now I know what to expect.

I'll re-install the latest libreELEC/kodi, but try the older iptv client.  Hopefully that will work.

Thanks

quickmic
8 minutes ago, Bingie said:

kodi 19.5 and iptv 19.2.2.1

I performed a live tv test via dynamic nodes and yes, there is an issue. I always focus on synced content, will be fix it in next version.

However, iptv 19.X (Kodi 19.X) always worked in synced mode, but there was an issue with Kodi 20 and (iptv 20.X). This was fixed by plugin 8.1.2.

Now, the synced mode should work with both versions.

quickmic

Forgot to say, live tv sync 7.X/8.X works differently. In 8.X just enable live tv in plugin config menu, that's it. It will be synced automatically, no need for manual trigger. btw, in 8.X you can also schedule Emby server recordings. Unfortunately, only via Kodi's EPG context menu (not Kodi native).

Edited by quickmic

Bingie

solved:

In Kodi 20.x, there is a new addon called "IPTV Manager" which is NOT installed when you install the "IPTV Client".

So, install "IPTV Manager" which will also pull in the client and dependencies, then in kodinextgen do the sync live tv, and it works now :)

Thanks

• Like 1