Emby next gen

quickmic

tube82
18 hours ago, quickmic said:

Yep, makes sense to me, I'll check that. Not sure how it was handled in the past but there were some issues which could lead to different artworks.

Not sure what is preferred by most people.

I can see how there will always be compromises when trying to map Emby artwork to Kodi, but I don't see the reasoning behind mapping a 16:9 image to a poster. Feels counter-intuitive. Is there a specific usecase you have in mind? I can't really see where a skin would expect a 16:9 "poster". If anything, I could understand a mapped series poster to each episode to cover scenarios where a poster is supposed to be shown for an episode without any implemented fallback, but probably that is unnecessary because a fallback to series poster is just too obvious because it prevents a lot of duplicates of the series poster.

Kodi wiki only lists fanart and thumb as "commonly supported artworks" for episodes.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork/Episode

Edited by tube82
Kodi Artwork info added

quickmic
1 hour ago, tube82 said:

I can see how there will always be compromises when trying to map Emby artwork to Kodi, but I don't see the reasoning behind mapping a 16:9 image to a poster. Feels counter-intuitive. Is there a specific usecase you have in mind? I can't really see where a skin would expect a 16:9 "poster". If anything, I could understand a mapped series poster to each episode to cover scenarios where a poster is supposed to be shown for an episode without any implemented fallback, but probably that is unnecessary because a fallback to series poster is just too obvious because it prevents a lot of duplicates of the series poster.

Agreed, I'll change it. Also there are some other artwork mapping issues. (Kodi) thumbnail is actually a (Emby) primary and (Kodi) landscape is (Emby) thumb.

Correct would be:

1. (Emby) primary is (Kodi) poster EXCEPT for episodes. Here is (Emby) primary (Kodi) thumbnail

2. (Emby) backdrop is (Kodi) landscape.

btw, Not sure why Emby server lists an episode thumbnail as "primary".

• Like 1

GrimReaper
22 minutes ago, quickmic said:

btw, Not sure why Emby server lists an episode thumbnail as "primary".

I suppose that's the Emby conundrum that you'll have to accommodate for, as reason for above, I guess, is to avoid episode thumbs showing in Continue Watching row instead of Series thumbs, as it does currently (as any assigned episode thumb as episode Thumb does show there, only if it is assigned as Primary then Series thumb is used). 

tube82
19 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Correct would be:

2. (Emby) backdrop is (Kodi) landscape.

Not sure about that one. Again going by kodi.wiki:

1.10 fanart

Used in: Movie artwork Movie sets artwork Music- Artists artwork Music Video artwork TV-Show artwork

They are used as full screen displays.

Fanart has no text on the image. (fanart with text is known as landscape. See below)

1.13 landscape

Used in: Movie artwork Movie sets artwork Music- Artists artwork Music Video artwork TV-Show artwork

Landscape images are fanart with text. They are used in certain page layouts for browsing. If the Landscape image is not available, skins can make passable replacements by using fanart and overlaying the clearlogo.

Emby backdrops seem to be fanart? Gosh, this is confusing... 

quickmic
11 minutes ago, tube82 said:

Not sure about that one. Again going by kodi.wiki:

1.10 fanart

Fanart has no text on the image. (fanart with text is known as landscape. See below)

1.13 landscape

Landscape images are fanart with text. They are used in certain page layouts for browsing. If the Landscape image is not available, skins can make passable replacements by using fanart and overlaying the clearlogo.

Well actually I can drop landscape, cause it will be loaded with the same as fanart what is actually the backdrop yes.

4.x mapping and also used up to latest next gen beta :

fyi, left side is Emby, right is Kodi

KODI = {
            'Primary': ['thumb', 'poster'],
            'Banner': "banner",
            'Logo': "clearlogo",
            'Art': "clearart",
            'Thumb': "landscape",
            'Disc': "discart",
            'Backdrop': "fanart"
        }

That's why I'm a bit surprised that the latest beta causes artwork issues. I changed something in the parent artwork code but not in the "common" mapping table.

Anyway, seems to be wrong since ever, so I'll change now to:

EPISODES:

KODI = {
                'Primary': 'thumb',
            }

EVERYTHING ELSE:

KODI = {
                'Primary': 'poster',
                'Thumb': "thumb",
            }

...and drop "landscape" completely.

Edited by quickmic

tube82
2 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Well actually I can drop landscape, cause it will be loaded with the same as fanart what is actually the backdrop yes.

4.x mapping and also used up to latest next gen beta :

KODI = {
        }

That's why I'm a bit surprised that the latest beta causes artwork issues. I changed something in the parent artwork code but not in the "common" mapping table.

Anyway, seems to be wrong since ever, so I'll change now to:

EPISODES:

KODI = {
            }

EVERYTHING ELSE:

KODI = {
            }

...and drop "landscape" completely.

Looking at Emby images and the previously quoted Kodi wiki for landscape,

Emby Thumb = Kodi Landscape

does look correct though, at least for series.

image.thumb.png.87c1869893a360e2a9ddbb418bcd6a59.png

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, tube82 said:

You can check all Emby supported image naming conventions and the order they're checked for here (scroll down to Images section):

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110

Fanart is backdrop, fanart, background... 

Thumb is thumb, landscape... 

• Like 1

quickmic
On 10/3/2021 at 12:41 PM, tube82 said:

Seems to be a general problem. In regular season view it also displays series thumb instead of episode screenshot:

image.png.e2827acfccf36f4ee8eb76fbb5dce63b.png

I perform a test with an updated mapping table. The artwork is now absolutely correct, but this will not the Skin "issue" you have. Please confirm, that it was different in the past cause I think the screenshot is exactly how it should look like.

It's comparable with this one, with one difference. It additionally shows the episode thumbnail.

srcitc2.png

tube82

Hm, I have been using the skin for quite a while and it used to look like in the screenshot section of the skins official thread (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=351756)

No idea what could be different, now that the mapping seems to be resolved. Maybe I'll have a look into the skin later today to see which image it is actually looking for.

Do you now map landscape for episodes as well or only for everything else?

Edited by tube82

quickmic
4 minutes ago, tube82 said:

Hm, I have been using the skin for quite a while and it used to look like in the screenshot section of the skins official thread (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=351756)

No idea what could be different, now that the mapping seems to be resolved. Maybe I'll have a look into the skin later today to see which image it is actually looking for.

Do you now map landscape for episodes as well or only for everything else?

I'll not map landscape any longer in the next versions. I could only map the "regular" fanart/backdrop as landscape which is already mapped as fanart. So same image would be mapped twice.

According to Kodi docu, skin is responsible for image substitution:

... If the Landscape image is not available, skins can make passable replacements by using fanart...

tube82
5 minutes ago, quickmic said:

I'll not map landscape any longer in the next versions. I could only map the "regular" fanart/backdrop as landscape which is already mapped as fanart. So same image would be mapped twice.

You mean for episodes? I agree, nothing should be mapped to landscape there (probably :D. I would think that should solve the problem in Arctic Horizon skin, too. My assumption is that it will use landscape and as a fallback thumb. Guess I'll have to wait and see what the next version brings ;) 

For series/seasons Emby Thumb should be Kodi Landscape, though.

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, tube82 said:

For series/seasons Emby Thumb should be Kodi Landscape, though.

It should not, as Emby Thumbs are usually small, low-res images, whereas Kodi Landscape should be high-res fullscreen image with text (or fallback fanart overlayed with logo), as per above wiki. Streching that Thumb fullscreen likely would not give satisfactory results. If anything, Emby Backdrop should be mapped both as Fanart and Landscape, if @quickmic is inclined towards that solution.

• Like 1

tube82
34 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

It should not, as Emby Thumbs are usually small, low-res images, whereas Kodi Landscape should be high-res fullscreen image with text (or fallback fanart overlayed with logo), as per above wiki. Streching that Thumb fullscreen likely would not give satisfactory results. If anything, Emby Backdrop should be mapped both as Fanart and Landscape, if @quickmic is inclined towards that solution.

I don't quite understand.

Don't Kodi and Emby get TV show thumbs (Emby) and Landscape (Kodi) from the same sources? E.g. fanart.tv.

image.png.216025b39157e5888d56fe40b189b1c9.png

This (automatically downloaded) thumb in Emby is the same image that Kodi would download from https://fanart.tv/series/350665/the-rookie/ as "Landscape" art.

It also has the exact resolution landscape art should have (according to Kodi.wiki)

Edited by tube82

GrimReaper

That surely depends on your choice of scraper, if you go by TVDB you'll usually get 400x225 or 640x360 for Thumbs. TMDB and Fanart.tv do vary, you can find various. However, whichever of those you choose, it'll still look poor displayed/stretched on 1080p or 2K or 4K display fullscreen. 

Edit: Now, the question is where does skin display those "landscapes", as a thumb or fanart? 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

quickmic
14 minutes ago, tube82 said:

I don't quite understand.

Don't Kodi and Emby get TV show thumbs (Emby) and Landscape (Kodi) from the same sources? E.g. fanart.tv.

I speak for the addon: It should NEVER been mapped this way. This is a bug since ever.

The plugin sync Emby artwork to Kodi, therefore a mapping is required to translate Emby terms in Kodi terms.

Once again, old mapping table (ALL current available versions are using this):

KODI = {
        }

The Emby Thumb is currently mapped as Kodi landscape. As you and I already posted, Kodi landscape is more or less Fanart (Backdrops in Emby Terms) and NOT the thumb.

The new one will be (in upcoming versions will be):

EPISODES:

KODI = {
            }

EVERYTHING ELSE:

KODI = {
            }

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

tube82
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

That surely depends on your choice of scraper, if you go by TVDB you'll usually get 400x225 or 640x360 for Thumbs. TMDB and Fanart.tv do vary, you can find various. However, whichever of those you choose, it'll still look poor displayed/stretched on 1080p or 2K or 4K display fullscreen. 

Sure, but that is always the case. Posters are supposed to be 1000x1500 (kodi.wiki). If I would go through my Emby DB I'd surely find posters in 680x1000 or even lower.

Doesn't change the fact that TV show thumb in Emby is the same artwork type as Landscape art of a TV show in Kodi. 

2 minutes ago, quickmic said:

The Emby Thumb is currently mapped as Kodi landscape. As you and I already posted, Kodi landscape is more or less Fanart (Backdrops in Emby Terms) and NOT the thumb.

I disagree here. Emby thumb of a TV show is this (image from earlier):

This is the definition for landscape art in Kodi from earlier:

1.13 landscape

Image specifications
Name landscape
Type jpg
Resolution 1000w x 562h
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Transparent background No

For TV shows and seasons, the mapping of the Emby thumb to Kodi landscape is (was) correct.

quickmic

Maybe I don't get the point.

...I don't know were the image in Emby comes from but it's clearly tagged as "thumb". A thumb should not be used as a Kodi landscape.

3 minutes ago, tube82 said:

Landscape images are fanart with text.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper

Kodi wiki is very vague there, as it doesn't clarify where are those landscapes used. If you go by definition alone:

3 hours ago, tube82 said:

1.10 fanart

1.13 landscape

One would assume it is a fullscreen backdrop with text, as opposed to fanart which should be fullscreen backdrop without text. However, that resolution specification really throws the wrench there. 

tube82
24 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Maybe I don't get the point.

...I don't know were the image in Emby comes from but it's clearly tagged as "thumb". A thumb should not be used as a Kodi landscape.

On the bottom of the wiki page you can see examples of the different image types.

Emby calls "thumb" what Kodi calls "landscape". Not sure which one makes more sense, but I am pretty sure it really is the same.

Fanart.tv calls them thumbs as well.

Fanart.tv:

image.thumb.png.db73df1a2f0500ccea2ee4c11d6baa03.png

Emby:

Kodi:

image.thumb.png.f7ef6407e5b9cfd17565a72b9015c4a7.png

Edited by tube82
  • Like 1

quickmic
15 minutes ago, tube82 said:

On the bottom of the wiki page you can see examples of the different image types.

Emby calls "thumb" what Kodi calls "landscape". Not sure which one makes more sense, but I am pretty sure it really is the same.

Fanart.tv calls them thumbs as well.

Fanart.tv:

image.thumb.png.db73df1a2f0500ccea2ee4c11d6baa03.png

Emby:

Kodi:

image.thumb.png.f7ef6407e5b9cfd17565a72b9015c4a7.png

I think I know what you mean. I'll add another TV Shows specific mapping table. Emby (thumb) as Kodi (landscape) for TV-Shows. As this is really a mess, I'll go check all sorts of artwork content on Emby for all categories.

• Like 1

tube82
11 minutes ago, quickmic said:

I think I know what you mean. I'll add another TV Shows specific mapping table. Emby (thumb) as Kodi (landscape) for TV-Shows. As this is really a mess, I'll go check all sorts of artwork content on Emby for all categories.

Looking forward to it!

I think tv shows and seasons can still have the same mappings. Some TV shows also have 16:9 images per season that are also called "thumb" in Emby and should translate to Landscape in Kodi.

image.png.bc7259607cc7603b22df0870742ea442.png

Edited by tube82

quickmic
18 hours ago, tube82 said:

Looking forward to it!

I think tv shows and seasons can still have the same mappings. Some TV shows also have 16:9 images per season that are also called "thumb" in Emby and should translate to Landscape in Kodi.

image.png.bc7259607cc7603b22df0870742ea442.png

I've tested a few different configs. Current approach for movie:

If a movie has no thumb, use Primary as thumb. This shouldn't cause any issues but helps in some cases when the Primary on Emby is actually a thumb. e.g. for home videos which have no actual poster.

Same for musicvideos...

TV Episodes: Skip posters completely, only thumbs will be available in Kodi. But this means, nodes should never be configured to show posters on episodes. My custom widgets don't fallback to season or tvshow posters for episodes without poster info.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

quickmic
On 10/3/2021 at 7:14 AM, NNate said:

I just updated to the latest beta referenced above. It triggered a db reset and full sync.

Artwork isn't coming through like before - especially noticable on TV series. Season artwork and individual episode screenshots aren't showing up now. Not a huge deal, but seems to be a regression.

Can you post a screenshot? I'm currently working on the artwork.

tube82
5 hours ago, quickmic said:

I've tested a few different configs. Current approach for movie:

If a movie has no thumb, use Primary as thumb. This shouldn't cause any issues but helps in some cases when the Primary on Emby is actually a thumb. e.g. for home videos which have no actual poster.

Same for musicvideos...

TV Episodes: Skip posters completely, only thumbs will be available in Kodi. But this means, nodes should never be configured to show posters on episodes. My custom widgets don't fallback to season or tvshow posters for episodes without poster info.

Movie approach sounds reasonable to cover the corner case of movies without posters.

TV episodes sounds correct, too. Surprising that poster doesn't work in widgets, since Kodi wiki explicitly states episodes don't have posters:

image.thumb.png.fe661530f92db719286815a72182ed6a.png

I would have thought skins are designed to use parent posters as episode poster.

Especially confusing because I always used next up episode widgets in poster aspect ratio that then showed the tv show poster.

(Don't really understand why the table lists landscape for episodes. Don't even know what kind of image that could be)

Edited by tube82

quickmic

BETA VERSION 6.1.1:
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/releases/tag/6.1.1

Download link for manual update:
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/archive/refs/tags/6.1.1.zip

There is still a problem with multivideo (not synced) 😞 I'll fix it soon....

Also artwork handling has changed: If you wanna try it, you have to update or repair the libraries.

Support thread is this one:

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1