Emby next gen

quickmic

DiabboVerdde
1 hour ago, quickmic said:

I'll add some sort of upcoming info in next 7.X version. Query the data from Emby server is easy, but designing a proper Kodi view is not a trivial.

Yesterday I dowloaded the latest code for next gen and spent some time understanding how it works. I got how you get the authentication part and keep api_key, I saw how the REST queries are made to the Emby API and copying and pasting code from here and there I managed to call that API and get the JSON code. Then I thought "ok, now let's make a screen and put that info there" and I started looking for tutorials on how to build screens for Kodi and... maaaaan... yeah, you described it right, not trivial at all. 

So, the "TV Show Next Aired" script had a pretty nice interface, whoever developed it did a pretty good job. Here's a screenshot of mine (Using Leia-Confluence, since the script was never ported to python 3 to run on Matrix and above):

image.thumb.png.945b8fb537a6f8c3b4493079a4d2e3ed.png

See, this interface is pretty cool and elaborate. Clicking an episode box takes you to the episode folder, and the app had some settings that would allow you to control what to display or not, like that "yesterday" episodes, etc... but the complexity of the script was the fact it had to get a list of your tv shows, send it all to tvdb and get the consolidated info. This is something that you don't have to do because the emby API has the work cut out for you. All info is delivered to you on a silver platter by one call of the API, so the work mostly is around building the interface to visualize the data. Of course one could always check the source for TSNA and figure out how this interface was built and reproduce it, but there's really no need to go that far at all.

The reason is: even Emby's take on the matter is simplistic. Here's how the Emby web interface displays the data, a much simpler approach:

image.thumb.png.004311cb5f9189a34741a99e8dbfef98.png

Not nearly as fancy as TSNA, but it gets the job done, and it satisfies all the needs. So, it doesn't need to be fancy, it just have to present the information. That's why I think it would be a nice addition to next gen and it wouldn't be that much of a a huge effort but I think the benefits are justified. The discrepancy between the two screenshots seems to be merely due to time zone conversions. 

I saw the message you sent me, I'll install that code and take a look. Thanks for looking into it!

quickmic
2 minutes ago, DiabboVerdde said:

Yesterday I dowloaded the latest code for next gen and spent some time understanding how it works. I got how you get the authentication part and keep api_key, I saw how the REST queries are made to the Emby API and copying and pasting code from here and there I managed to call that API and get the JSON code. Then I thought "ok, now let's make a screen and put that info there" and I started looking for tutorials on how to build screens for Kodi and... maaaaan... yeah, you described it right, not trivial at all. 

So, the "TV Show Next Aired" script had a pretty nice interface, whoever developed it did a pretty good job. Here's a screenshot of mine (Using Leia-Confluence, since the script was never ported to python 3 to run on Matrix and above):

image.thumb.png.945b8fb537a6f8c3b4493079a4d2e3ed.png

See, this interface is pretty cool and elaborate. Clicking an episode box takes you to the episode folder, and the app had some settings that would allow you to control what to display or not, like that "yesterday" episodes, etc... but the complexity of the script was the fact it had to get a list of your tv shows, send it all to tvdb and get the consolidated info. This is something that you don't have to do because the emby API has the work cut out for you. All info is delivered to you on a silver platter by one call of the API, so the work mostly is around building the interface to visualize the data. Of course one could always check the source for TSNA and figure out how this interface was built and reproduce it, but there's really no need to go that far at all.

The reason is: even Emby's take on the matter is simplistic. Here's how the Emby web interface displays the data, a much simpler approach:

image.thumb.png.004311cb5f9189a34741a99e8dbfef98.png

Not nearly as fancy as TSNA, but it gets the job done, and it satisfies all the needs. So, it doesn't need to be fancy, it just have to present the information. That's why I think it would be a nice addition to next gen and it wouldn't be that much of a a huge effort but I think the benefits are justified. The discrepancy between the two screenshots seems to be merely due to time zone conversions. 

I saw the message you sent me, I'll install that code and take a look. Thanks for looking into it!

Please open a new thread for the "upcoming feature" request. I think this topic will last longer...

DiabboVerdde
1 minute ago, quickmic said:

Please open a new thread for the "upcoming feature" request. I think this topic will last longer...

will do!

• Like 1

smernt

Hey, I often use the opensubtitles add-on inside of Kodi (along with Emby Next Gen), and I think I may have come across an issue with ENG which sometimes causes subtitle acquisitions to fail. I say this because I've found it works for some titles, but not for others and is very hit & miss. I think it might have something to do with the long file names or something, but I can't be sure. I've attached two Kodi logs if you could take a look and see if it's the ENG plugin that's causing the issue?

In both logs I try to get subs for one title that I know keeps failing & one title that I know works. Hopefully you can see from them what the issue is? This issue happens regardless of where I've got the save location of the subtitles set to, be it 'next to media' or 'custom location'. Regardless of how that is set, one always works while the other fails. I also tested across a bunch of other titles and it's definitely hit or miss, sometimes it works fine, but often it fails.

kodi_SavingToSharedStorageDLFolder.log

quickmic
21 hours ago, smernt said:

it might have something to do with the long file names

Probably yes, can you test the filenames?

smernt
On 16/04/2022 at 11:32, quickmic said:

Probably yes, can you test the filenames?

Figured it out, it's due to the 255 character limit for file names in Android. The 'embyvideo-25904gn45gg' referencing takes up a lot of that limit, leaving little space for the name of the file. Any way that can be fixed?

Edited by smernt
  • Like 1

quickmic
1 hour ago, smernt said:

Figured it out, it's due to the 255 character limit for file names in Android. The 'embyvideo-25904gn45gg' referencing takes up a lot of that limit, leaving little space for the name of the file. Any way that can be fixed?

Not easily, probably I can remove some info in the URL/filenames (in the next major release (7.x)).

• 2 weeks later...
Trust9

Hi,
I am currently testing the emby-next-gen addon on my Raspberry Pi4. I am connecting via Emby Connect.
emby-next-gen is really a great advancement.
Unfortunately I noticed two issues.
Maybe there is a solution or I have made a mistake.

1. at every restart the playback settings are requested again.

image.png.0f76c0ce1356c975fe581c72bce4fd5b.png

2. i wanted to syncronize all images from my library and not load them on the fly. I was hoping to find something in the addon settings, unfortunately there are no settings. Is this correct?

image.png.8e0e0b7a3c1f117a71fbb28d0d007ffe.png

Thanks

Edited by Trust9

quickmic
6 hours ago, Trust9 said:

Hi,
I am currently testing the emby-next-gen addon on my Raspberry Pi4. I am connecting via Emby Connect.
emby-next-gen is really a great advancement.
Unfortunately I noticed two issues.
Maybe there is a solution or I have made a mistake.

1. at every restart the playback settings are requested again.

image.png.0f76c0ce1356c975fe581c72bce4fd5b.png

2. i wanted to syncronize all images from my library and not load them on the fly. I was hoping to find something in the addon settings, unfortunately there are no settings. Is this correct?

image.png.8e0e0b7a3c1f117a71fbb28d0d007ffe.png

Thanks

Both issues are related to a corrupted addon settings.xml There is something wrong/broken in your setup, please upload a Kodi.log (no debug mode) and/or reinstall the plugin.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 1

PHPpro

Hi, long time Kodi for emby user. I just installed this version after clean installing Kodi (on Nvidia shield). However after setting it up, direct paths, I don't see any indication that it is syncing, no progress bar. So maybe it is working in the background. I waited about an hour, but nothing changed. I have restarted Kodi, I get the welcome message, but nothing in my library. So i started digging around. I found that if I go to addon's -> emby-next-gen I can see the list of media, but it still does not show in the main Kodi screen. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by PHPpro

quickmic
2 hours ago, PHPpro said:

Hi, long time Kodi for emby user. I just installed this version after clean installing Kodi (on Nvidia shield). However after setting it up, direct paths, I don't see any indication that it is syncing, no progress bar. So maybe it is working in the background. I waited about an hour, but nothing changed. I have restarted Kodi, I get the welcome message, but nothing in my library. So i started digging around. I found that if I go to addon's -> emby-next-gen I can see the list of media, but it still does not show in the main Kodi screen. Am I doing something wrong?

Without a kodi.log for review, I'm just guessing. Maybe you use network shares and they are not connected?

If you have no particular reason for native mode, use addon mode. It's much easier to use.

DarWun
19 hours ago, PHPpro said:

Just throwing this out there based on my recent experience with Emby next-gen and my past experience with Emby "old-gen" (since you say you are a long time user). With Emby "old-gen" library creation was part of the initial setup process, and the library would start compiling at the end. With Emby next-gen, once you set it up you are left staring at a blank screen. You have to go in to the Emby for Kodi options and select the create libraries option to specify which libraries you want to use. Once you've done that, the library creation starts.

Edited by DarWun

PHPpro
2 hours ago, DarWun said:

Just throwing this out there based on my recent experience with Emby next-gen and my past experience with Emby "old-gen" (since you say you are a long time user). With Emby "old-gen" library creation was part of the initial setup process, and the library would start compiling at the end. With Emby next-gen, once you set it up you are left staring at a blank screen. You have to go in to the Emby for Kodi options and select the create libraries option to specify which libraries you want to use. Once you've done that, the library creation starts.

Thanks. I figured it out. Previously when it asked which libraries I wanted to include I chose all. I reset everything and tried again and this time I added the libraries one at a time. I also forgot that I had to add my data (smb) server to the file manager because it has its own credentials.

Thanks for your help

Edited by PHPpro

PHPpro

One more question. How can I choose the mapping of emby libraries to Kodi libraries? I have an emby library for Home Videos, and another for Movies, but both are getting mapped to Movies in Kodi. I would like the Home Videos to go to Videos in kodi. Hopefully my request makes sense.

quickmic
4 hours ago, PHPpro said:

One more question. How can I choose the mapping of emby libraries to Kodi libraries? I have an emby library for Home Videos, and another for Movies, but both are getting mapped to Movies in Kodi. I would like the Home Videos to go to Videos in kodi. Hopefully my request makes sense.

This is only possible with custom skins and using custom emby nodes. Otherwise Kodi treats them like a movie.

Edited by quickmic

Trust9
On 4/26/2022 at 4:02 PM, quickmic said:

Both issues are related to a corrupted addon settings.xml There is something wrong/broken in your setup, please upload a Kodi.log (no debug mode) and/or reinstall the plugin.

the reinstall fixed the problem. Thanks a lot

• Like 1

saed

Hi, Is it possible to use Emby TV with all its options on Kodi? that is, not only the channels but also the guide

quickmic

Yes EPG is supported, you need also 3rd party plugin iptvsimple.

Just install iptvsimple and sync Emby livetv content via next-gen plugin config menu.

Edited by quickmic

saed

you may not understand. do you mean that I can use Simple IPTV to play the live tv configured in Emby?
and so be able to use the guide over time?

and as I configure it, I don't know how to synchronize the simple IPTV with the Emby-next-Gen plugin

Thank you so much

quickmic
18 minutes ago, saed said:

you may not understand. do you mean that I can use Simple IPTV to play the live tv configured in Emby?
and so be able to use the guide over time?

and as I configure it, I don't know how to synchronize the simple IPTV with the Emby-next-Gen plugin

Thank you so much

You don't have to configure anything in Simple IPTV (PVR IPTV Simple Client) just install/enable it. Next-gen plugin will configure everything for you.

Just install Simple IPTV, then goto next-gen config menu -> sync -> manage libraries -> Sync LiveTV

That's it. It will import all Data from Emby server LiveTV to Simple IPTV.

Edited by quickmic
  • Agree 1

saed
28 minutes ago, quickmic said:

You don't have to configure anything in Simple IPTV (PVR IPTV Simple Client) just install/enable it. Next-gen plugin will configure everything for you.

Just install Simple IPTV, then goto next-gen config menu -> sync -> manage libraries -> Sync LiveTV

That's it. It will import all Data from Emby server LiveTV to Simple IPTV.

Incredible, all ok. Thank you very much.
One of the best accessories for emby

• Like 1

quickmic
1 minute ago, saed said:

Incredible, all ok. Thank you very much.
One of the best accessories for emby

One drawback, EPG will not be automatically refreshed. You must trigger the "Sync Live TV" from time to time.

I'll add a auto update in one of the next versions.

• Agree 1