Do I convert from P***

if it was video I only have 1 720p screen. But if I play it a 4k picture for example and let's say the server did not have the function to transcode hypothetically. I would get different results depending on that devices ability to do the task. Each device with it's own qurk. We got round this by making the server do it so it would look good in any device and honest it does   But if you downmix 7.1 badly you have the same problem if you treat all channels equal then it will be a poor mix. If you app which I think it can mix it down in the app then i am ok. But as i said not all my devices have the option. So i have a massive incostancy becouse it depends on the devices ability to do it

Honest mate the becouse I hear this phenomenon all the time setting gigs up in clubs I know it as soon as I hear it. I admit 7.1 and 5.1 I am new to. But if this happens in a club I have to put a compressor in. The same thing is happening on a small scale. Somewhere in the process the audio is not mixed right so the delicate sounds are not loud enough to the heavy sounds. So I need to pull them together. At one point I was so vexed I naerly put one in at home

Honest mate the becouse I hear this phenomenon all the time setting gigs up in clubs I know it as soon as I hear it. I admit 7.1 and 5.1 I am new to. But if this happens in a club I have to put a compressor in. The same thing is happening on a small scale. Somewhere in the process the audio is not mixed right so the delicate sounds are not loud enough to the heavy sounds. So I need to pull them together. At one point I was so vexed I naerly put one in at home

lads please you can tell i obviously have problems and not just with plex and emby in head so to speak. i cant let things go so i have to leave this as i am literally on my i understand your trying to help but i am just gone completely obsessive now. 

All my family abandoned both apps and all my friends did because of this very issue. i have done the same and abondoned it for netfiix. i am not sure how they achieve everything to play correctly maybe one day i might ask them

i think it might be because there servers pass an audio stream to the speaker configuration i actually set in the app and it all works out. i don't know but i cant beat the fact that it just works.

sorry i honestly please cant go any further. lets just wish as all the best. maybe i come back to it one day because my dream is to have a server that does everything in my house.

9 hours ago, cayars said:

On the stick what do you have the sound options set to?

For the web app what do you have Windows audio set to WHEN external speakers are connected?

Same question for your bluetooth headphones on your phone.  You need to setup the audio on the phone so that it can report things correctly to app.

Before worrying about Emby at all have you setup audio on the phone/device?

see this is honestly just not right . are you implying that my phone is set to 5.1. because that is mental. my phone is not a 5.1 device so why the hell would it let you set its audio to 5.1.

it like me asking you to find the 4k setting on your 1080 TV. 

6 minutes ago, OllieP said:

see this is honestly just not right . are you implying that my phone is set to 5.1. because that is mental. my phone is not a 5.1 device so why the hell would it let you set its audio to 5.1.

it like me asking you to find the 4k setting on your 1080 TV. 

my phone is not going to give me the option to select something it cant actual do. its not 5.1 it can only 2 channel left and right why would it ask me if i want the audio output in 5.1 when it cannot do it. i can check all the setting every single one. If it is there it would be a fault. if it let your pick output in 5.1 and i could do it then ...

i am sorry leave it

Q-Droid

Here's the thing. You want the ability to force stereo mixdown on the server and you might persuade the devs to give you that option. But I suspect that you just might not be satisfied with the results. Six pages of thread would demonstrate this is the case.

The capabilities to mixdown from x.1 to stereo are different for all of the devices you have. Some may be good and some may be horrible.

So, take your media and add a stereo stream that meets your criteria. Make the stereo stream the default audio track and then all of your devices should play the exact same audio to your satisfaction.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Here's the thing. You want the ability to force stereo mixdown on the server and you might persuade the devs to give you that option. But I suspect that you just might not be satisfied with the results. Six pages of thread would demonstrate this is the case.

The capabilities to mixdown from x.1 to stereo are different for all of the devices you have. Some may be good and some may be horrible.

So, take your media and add a stereo stream that meets your criteria. Make the stereo stream the default audio track and then all of your devices should play the exact same audio to your satisfaction.

that would be ace yeah. 

and then the device because it set to 2 speaker configure play the correct audio track. i have thought about the second part this statement and i agree if the server did this horribly then all the devices would not play correctly. so admit i don't off the bat know how we solve that. i read forums about the perfect mixdown so to speak. which I thought perfect but then if the original audio was not in the same position in terms of the speaker config lets say channel 1 is not front right. then I admit all hell will break lose. 

i know this is not an easy one but this statement is finally the correct direction rather than going down the client path. 

Q-Droid

When I state "set the default audio track" I mean to literally do so in the media and not rely on the devices to select the correct one.

The -disposition option in ffmpeg to define/force the default audio stream. You should be able to do this easily for any media you have now with multiple audio streams, without transcoding anything. You would be creating a new media file, a copy of the original with new options. Then delete the original.

i am open to this one. i personally think most devices especially ones where the device you plug in is analogue cant detect the speaker configuration correctly. even my PC with the audio jack has to ask me what did i just plug in.

would this be a fair comment so have a setting in the app that says TV, Mobile, 5 speaker, 7 speaker.

any suggestions to this i am open to as this could be simpler 

26 minutes ago, OllieP said:

You would be creating a new media file, a copy of the original with new options. Then delete the original.

sorry to be an arse is the not way to do this on the fly like video?

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, OllieP said:

sorry to be an arse is the know way i guess to do this on the fly like video?

If not don't worry we can happily forget this bit. not a deal breaker. just keeping the original copy would be nice. but not bothered honest.

20 minutes ago, OllieP said:

If not don't worry we can happily forget this bit. not a deal breaker. just keeping the original copy would be nice. but not bothered honest.

ok sorry i misunderstood what you put. this makes no difference if the copy still has the 7.1 audio in. my bad really sorry. 

Q-Droid

Right. Use ffmpeg to set the default track for media files with multiples. Use ffmpeg to add a default stereo track for media files with only x.1. It can be scripted. You have a big server and big storage, put them to work... 😁 

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

Running your own media server is certainly an endeavor.  There are always things to work through.  Hopefully you've gotten the hang of reporting issues here, and there are people who are far more qualified than me to help out.

To address one issue you brought up... wondering why Netflix can do this, but Emby is not as polished.  The answer is simple really... scale. I would venture to guess that Netflix spends more on just app development in a single day than Emby spends on it's entire operation in a year.  Maybe even in the lifetime of Emby since it closed source. 

The big difference of course, is that compared to bigger entities (e.g., Plex, Netflix, etc.) you have a forum where developers and users will actually interact with you to help solve an issue.

Sometimes, the best solution to that problem may be outside the scale of the Emby project. Striving to reach that scale isn't always the best solution for the end user. Still one of the reasons that I switched from Plex to Emby years ago.

I'm not much help here, but stick with it.

mate 100% agree with you. Plex just ignored it and ignored it, not just me reported it. closed forum thread, device problem.

so far honest cannot fault the effort made at times I felt that at times  should just back out as I have to gone far!

i am so grateful so far, and even if this is something the developers feel is not the correct direction, honest to god ill be cool with that. like I say I understand I am the 1% not the 99% .

agreed with Netflix I kind of just wanted to try and show how this does work and get everyone to think about that interaction. See I conveniently left out the fact they have a stereo mixdown at the ready. but it was more in the interaction between server and client not  just the client trying to fix one client.

wicked lads!

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, BAlGaInTl said:

To address one issue you brought up... wondering why Netflix can do this, but Emby is not as polished.  The answer is simple really... scale. I would venture to guess that Netflix spends more on just app development in a single day than Emby spends on it's entire operation in a year.  Maybe even in the lifetime of Emby since it closed source. 

It's not so much the development or software but the time they spend on the media itself.

Keep in mind there is not one version of a movie or show but around 15 to 20 different rendered versions that get used so they don't have to transcode on the fly.  Emby is actually much more advanced in this regard.

But just like Netflix you can prepare you media so it will direct play on your equipment and this includes not just the video but all the audio.

Adding a default stereo track is the way to do this!

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's not so much the development or software but the time they spend on the media itself.

Keep in mind there is not one version of a movie or show but around 15 to 20 different rendered versions that get used so they don't have to transcode on the fly.  Emby is actually much more advanced in this regard.

But just like Netflix you can prepare you media so it will direct play on your equipment and this includes not just the video but all the audio.

Adding a default stereo track is the way to do this!

True. 

Neflix controls all the media.  So they can easily have all the appropriate copies.

100% agree i would expect there server would have a copy for every resolution and every sound time and just flick between them. may be wrong they may just have a master copy and transcode. i guess we will never know. depends what cheaper HDD space or electricity

1 hour ago, cayars said:

We know because it's well documented :)

haha do you may be i should just google it but stuff like this really intrests me. I have also though of an audio experment i can give you that will demistrate the probelm. becouse please dont hate me as i think the mixdown in the app might also have the same problem. i think you probly know what i am about to put already. I am architec by day DJ by weekend 40 year old its "not as the good as the old days kind of bloke". i can just listen to the audio and go thats not right amplify that and you have a problem.

i dont think if you just chuck this at ffmpeg and expect it to be able to work. but you have agreed to my idea i dont want to push my luck. see poeple listen to where the audio is left right. i listen to where the vocals sit. the vocals should always be louder then the backing track. but when i listen to the audio thats been mixdown if you listen you can hear the backing track is louder than the vocals.

i admit when i first got this problem i knew that it was wrong but becouse i knew nothing at the time about 5.1 and 7.1 i had to research it. came acroos some fella nothing streaming related fidling with ffmpeg and found that you need to do something mental like left right front 3 parts, middle 4 2 parts base half a part.

if your aware of this i am so sorry i am not trying to insult anyone. maybe its already doing it.

Edited by Guest

scrap that lets just forget that and leave it as is cant i delete the post. i honestly dont want to push this sorry.stay as we are

Edited by Guest

i have been reading through the forum and have noticed a trend actually. you seem like good guys maybe you can humor me one last time. this is more a disccusion than fault. reading alot of threads there is a lot of discussion on the whole about audio and about being able to choose what we do with it. The genral flow is someone opens the disccsuions about being able to force audio types in the app and the develpors are thinking along the lines of users will get it wrong which result in to many support calls. Its the kind of vibe i am getting The above example if we get this fixed is a deal breaker between using the product or not. My viewing experiance is watching everything with the remote in my hand constantly turning the volume up and down during a filmed mirrored by alot of friend and family. the next part is more and observation if you may.

the app at the bottom left gives me a million choices 1080, 720, 80mb, 40mb 5 mb, letterbox, stretch. My mum is a novice user and she has never had to touch these. but if i explained them to her and said press these till it looked better. i would leave the room for 10 minutes and came back in, it would be set to 5mb 480p gauranted with her just looking at me going Ollie fix this i have knackered it! Guarenteed!

but there is no choices in terms of audio or no flexibilty. so just know i am watching deadpool in my bluetooth speakers, my 4K fire TV has mixed down. at this point there will be people thinking there you go ollie you idiot it was working all along thanks for wasting all our time you dumbass. but the local mixdown is dolby surround stearo and i cant change this. most people would not even notice this and in some respects i dont. but i flipped to my bluetooth headset. its still dolby surround stearo. as soon as the sound hits my cans i think urrrghhhh. surround sound in headphones i think i just got a bit of sick gathered in the back of my throat. other people might think that sounds amazing.

i dont know may be i am just an audio freek. may be if i explained why i brought the chinese knockoff boxes is becouse at the time they was the only boxes i could buy that had both a 3.5 in jack and ethernet port becouse i recorded best part of 2,500 records and want to to utilse emby for that so i needed a anogue output on all the devices the bad choice does  not seem like one. in my house i trying to make a rule you do it emby or not at all! and fellas honest in the most part i am 99% there.

i would argue even further maybe. dont be audio haters, lets have the choice to shape the audio in the same way we can shape the video.

i will leave it there finally honest the audio mixdown resulting in the vocals being at less volume than the backing is not something you can live with. my soultion to maybe not the correct, trancoding is the only way off the bat i can think of to fix it.