Do I convert from P***

lads sorry i had live TV pause on one app fixed that. bloody amazon sticks don't actually switch off.

but i can see from the main logs the device starts the playing and its Ip address gets registered. 

i have hunted through all the direct play, remux and transcode ones and i can find anything. 

quick look at how the logs are structured i can see there should be in at least one of them

thanks for all the time, honestly just the time you have provided has impressed me. just a thought. i really don't think the logs the key. the of the problem is inherent with the trusty 3.5 inch jack. or the RCA connector.

the problem is your never going to ever establish what's at the other end if its analogue cable or an older TV or a shitty Chinese knock off.

so as far as the logs go this process on the whole will look correct. Source audio 5.1, that goes to a mobile 5.1 audio. so remux the 5.1 audio into a container that will play but is still in 5.1 audio. the phone cannot tell you that only headphones are plugged in. so 5.1 audio is not really what the end result should be. 

once we add amplification into the mix then a small problem becomes a big problem.

Yes i agree stereo mixdown is the solution. but its not available acorss the board i guess it will only work on devices that have the ability to convert it.

so chalk and cheese and i am going to make a comparison to how video is processed and how audio is processed because that's my mind set they they can be handle the same way.

Video plays fine on all my devices, no matter how bad or good. so how does that process work. we on the client give the server its resolutions. the server then reaches a agreement and if it can direct play will do, if it cant it will convert or remux as needed. 

with audio i think we need to give the client a helping hand figure out the impossible how many speaker do you have plugged in at the end of the cable. no way a phone can work that out. then the server client and server reach an agreement and the server transcodes or remixes as necessary,

again if someone had brought a box that could only display 720P but all there vids was 1080p and the reply in the forums was well its the clients fault by a new client it would be an unsatisfactory outcome. but with audio its ok.

i think i have to leave it here lads, my head is racing and to be honest i am not up for it any longer.

i have done some more testing and i have to be honest i am wrong in some aspects.

the Fire cube 4k when connected to my Bluetooth sound bar or my blue tooth headphones when the audio mixdown is set to auto does set the device to local mixdown. so yes this is correct.

the fire TV stick when connected to my 4K Asus monitor still plays 6 Channnel audio ( ok its a computer monitor its not reporting its audio correctly)

the mobile phone if i connect it to my Bluetooth headphones or blue tooth sound bar plays 6 channel audio. 

so the shitty Chinese import boxes. yeah there shit. Can do what i need to do with a netflix app so would expect the emby or plex app to able to do the same. will do as it pleases lol.

so i think this is where we need to agree to disagree. you have the usage stats of the server and apps and i guess 95% is quad core or less  server .mainly installed on a Nas something like that. less than one percent nutters like me i7 and 1080 gpu.

my thought process going into this a year ago is spend as much as i can on the server side of things and cut corners on the devices them selves and the cost of replacing them i have 15 of them to maintain. see i love the comments like such its your crappy little android box mate cant encode audio. My thought is your crappy little Qnap mate cant encode audio. i suppose its where you feel the job of doing the work lies. me the server. 

even with the official boxes, official apps, if the stuff plugged into them are not 100% the sound is wrong and various devices with variuos things plugged into them have different results 

look i understand you need to please the 95 and maybe lose the 5%. if i could go back yes i might have spent 1500 on 15 devices but i didn't i spend 1500 on a server (probably more.) and i want to spent 1500 on a server that's what i like to do. 

honest if you just want to end the thread with some cocky comment like should have done your research something like that we can all be happy i did it wrong invested in the wrong end of the process then i would just appreciate the honesty and we can all be happy. it would save me ploughing more money in to something i will never make work.

i can just rest till i can save up 1500 to replace all the devices and travel to Portugal Spain and Canada to replace the crap devices i brought.

I do honestly even if i don't sound it at times apricate all the effort you have made. 

7 hours ago, CBers said:

@cayars Are you able to help with this please?

Possibly a TeamViewer session ?

I don't think TeamViewer would help in this situation, but I've just read all 5 pages and come up to speed on the issue but looks like most of this is now resolved?

I have one fundamental question that I see repeated.

Why is playing AC3 even with 5.1 WRONG on mobile or ATV wrong if downmixing is selected???  Sure the server will show it's not stereo & not remux it, but it shouldn't do that.  The device is now going to do that work instead (hence the option).

If anything is yet unresolved can you state the issue still at hand @OllieP?

We'll then focus on things a single issue/device at a time.

On 19/10/2020 at 10:57, CBers said:

Why is playing AC3 even with 5.1 WRONG on mobile or ATV wrong if downmixing is selected???

becouse my mobile does not have the option to downmix.

and some of my other devices do have the option to downmix.

if the downmix option was avialable on all my devices no matter how good or bad. i would still feel like it should be server doing the work load but i am not going to cry about that.

so if the mobile is not dwonmixing and playing 5.1 audio out of headphones blue tooth or cable plugged in. the sound is not correrct.

But does your mobile not have audio setting in it's system setup where you setup the audio type? <-- phone itself not Emby

Emby is going to pull the info from the device so if the setup isn't correct then the results won't be correct.

My LG and Samsung phones and tablets can play back 5.1 just fine but of course you don't get true spatial effects.

i only have dolby atmos and thats switched off. noting else if i am honest. if i plug a cable in with headphones or bluetooth headphone

i can tell the audio levels between the voice and the action is noticably not correct. its not a right or left propblem. vioice is to quite compaired to the action

these are the headphones.

https://uk.jbl.com/noise-cancelling-headphones/JBL+TUNE600BTNC.html?dwvar_JBL TUNE600BTNC_color=Black-GLOBAL-Current&cgid=noise-cancelling-headphones#start=1

but i admit in headphones its not a problem. but for eample if i have any other device that cannot mixdown if they are plugged into speakers becouse the sound is not being given to it in simple right or left the 5.1 audio will be squezzed down the speakers which speakers which can only do 1 task make things louder will blindy do that.

so if you have a audio that is at for example 1DB and you ampify that by a factor of 2 you will get 2. but at the exact same time in the same audio frame if you ampify something at 2DB your get 4. so the result will be the quite parts and the louder parts get further away.

i admit i might be in well over my head here.  if the any device is playing 5.1 when it should be playing stearo it will end up sound terrible the more you amplify it.

Sorry lads I dont think I even make sense to my self any longer hahah.i am really struggling lads I have to leave this. If the ability to force downmix to stereo was an option on all my devices this would fix all my issues. That's the idea of selecting in the app how many speakers you have connected. Please honest thanks for your time. I dont know what it is but if I play a movie on emby or plex audio can be good or bad depending on the device what its connected to.if I play the exact same movie on netflix. The sound is perfect on any device i play it on no matter what its connected to. Nothing has changed apart from the app I click on. I have tried to explain it I obvously cant.and that's my fault. Honest keep safe everyone. I mentally cannot continue this

1 hour ago, cayars said:

But does your mobile not have audio setting in it's system setup where you setup the audio type? <-- phone itself not Emby

Emby is going to pull the info from the device so if the setup isn't correct then the results won't be correct.

My LG and Samsung phones and tablets can play back 5.1 just fine but of course you don't get true spatial effects.

Would you prepared to do a test for me.you might possibly with what I just said think it's more of a waste of you time than this is worth. Dont allow mix down on one of these devices and play a 7.1 audio film on the device. Plug the device in to a stereo just not have to be anything fancy.  Play endgame. If you can make it to the end of the film with out changing the volume on anything I will gladly admit that I am completely wrong. I probably am. I am doubting myself completely.

Why would I want to play 7.1 audio on a 2 channel (left/right) stereo without mixdown?

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Why would I want to play 7.1 audio on a 2 channel (left/right) stereo without mixdown?

Becouse that is what I feel is happening in many if my setups. Or the mixdown is being left to the device being the tv or the client let's say. Which might mix down the audio incorrectly. If you mixdown audio all channels equal then the resulting audio will be really bad at high volume levels. But if you mixdown the audio in a different manner you might get a different result. So leaving the mixdown to hopefully be handled by the end device adds lots of inconsistency which I feel just like video can be solved by doing the encoding on the sever. I was just hoping as  I cant explain sound you could experience it yourself. Out of intrest if I click stero mixdown on my app. How does it combine the 7 channels into 2. 

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Becouse that is what I feel is happening in many if my setups. Or the mixdown is being left to the device being the tv or the client let's say. Which might mix down the audio incorrectly. If you mixdown audio all channels equal then the resulting audio will be really bad at high volume levels. But if you mixdown the audio in a different manner you might get a different result. So leaving the mixdown to hopefully be handled by the end device adds lots of inconsistency which I feel just like video can be solved by doing the encoding on the sever. I was just hoping as  I cant explain sound you could experience it yourself. Out of intrest if I click stero mixdown on my app. How does it combine the 7 channels into 2. 

4 hours ago, cayars said:

See I am going suggest something mental here that you device does have the same problem you just never going to play this device at a sound quality or loudness you will ever notice it

If you play back something in LiveTV and bring up audio what choices do you have?

So my 4k stick does this when played through the in built monitor speakers. The web app does it when I connect my desktop speakers. The fire cube is fine I think I managed to figure that out. My mobile app does it with bluetooth headphones plugged in. If I plug my phone into the desktop speakers it does it. If I use my sound bar in the web app it does it.like i say its inconsistent. My mum has the app built into the tv it does it my mate mike plug the box into his tv it did it my friend played a vid on the her laptop and plugged into some speakers it did it. But if you want to me to do more tests i can do. 

So when I play live TV I have the choice of 5.1 or stereo the default was 5 1 when I had a stereo sound bar connected. That was a hd channel. Any other channel is just stereo and they all play perfect. The hd channel same problem people talk really quiet but environmental noise is really loud

Is it becouse it's the sum of all the parts maybe. 7.1 audio is 2 speakers voice 5 speaker environment 1 speaker base if you just combine them you get more environment than voice in the resulting 2 channel mixdown. As a result the voice is really quite in the stream. Then when you amplify this in any way the quite parts are amplified less than louder parts.

Right ok I get where you going you want to fix all my devices one by one all 15 of them. Ok lets start with the phone as that's still not correct. So when I play band of brothers I cant mix down the steoro in any way the option is still not tgere So I plug my headphones in blue tooth it's not right the voice audio is to quite.not unwatchable but it is. If I feel frisky one day and plug that into my desktop speakers if two people talk I cant here them but a car drivers past it sounds way to loud. When i get up tomorrow i will press anything you need me to

23 minutes ago, OllieP said:

So my 4k stick does this when played through the in built monitor speakers. The web app does it when I connect my desktop speakers. The fire cube is fine I think I managed to figure that out. My mobile app does it with bluetooth headphones plugged in. If I plug my phone into the desktop speakers it does it. If I use my sound bar in the web app it does it.like i say its inconsistent. My mum has the app built into the tv it does it my mate mike plug the box into his tv it did it my friend played a vid on the her laptop and plugged into some speakers it did it. But if you want to me to do more tests i can do. 

On the stick what do you have the sound options set to?

For the web app what do you have Windows audio set to WHEN external speakers are connected?

Same question for your bluetooth headphones on your phone.  You need to setup the audio on the phone so that it can report things correctly to app.

4 minutes ago, OllieP said:

Right ok I get where you going you want to fix all my devices one by one all 15 of them. Ok lets start with the phone as that's still not correct. So when I play band of brothers I cant mix down the steoro in any way the option is still not tgere So I plug my headphones in blue tooth it's not right the voice audio is to quite.not unwatchable but it is. If I feel frisky one day and plug that into my desktop speakers if two people talk I cant here them but a car drivers past it sounds way to loud. When i get up tomorrow i will press anything you need me to

Before worrying about Emby at all have you setup audio on the phone/device?

Stick is set to stereo pc is set to stero. I have no problem on my phone for the last year playing music or any other form of media. Its is stereo. 

I had the very one and the same problem with plex and I have changed the devices, If you answer the following question I think I know where I stand better. 

When I click downmix to stereo what process does the app take to combine the 7 speakers to one. Then I will  just need  to find out this for my devices that cant be mixed down in the app. 

So me and other users in the plex forums worked this out months ago. They did the same thing tore there head out trying to sort every single device out. If you can tell me this I can be on my way I think.

Edited by Guest

Becouse i think the root cause of the issue is where the mixdown takes place. See my phone in this example test. The emby app played 5.1. I don't have any setting on my phone that is 5.1. The only setting is Dolby atmosphere and that switched off. So why did emby direct play 5.1 audio. But at some stage that will have to be mixdown. So the phone will have done that. But if that device is not particularly good at the mixdown it will not sound correct. So that's why even on this one device plugging my bluetooth headset in will give even more varied results becouse the phone does not mixdown the audio then the hob is past on to the headset. With a completely different mixdown and so forth and so forth