4.3.0.25 path for tv shows lost

rechner123

PenkethBoy

I believe this will be isolated to users who were running Emby Server prior to version 3.5. If your first install of Emby Server came after that, I don't think you'll have any problem.

Nope not related - my Server which had missing libraries - was never version 3.5 - started at version 4.* 

• Like 2

Same problem here, I surely was using Emby before version 4.

The new build is showing the paths, but Libraries are still empty and in need of a full rescan :(

Please try this build:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v44hkt1ii4rpli9/embyserver-win-x64-4.3.0.25.7z?dl=0

Unzip it, and just copy the system folder over the top of your current system folder. If you need help locating it, it's the folder that contains embyserver.exe. Thanks.

I use the Portable Version of Emby. Do I follow these same instructions?

Please try this build:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v44hkt1ii4rpli9/embyserver-win-x64-4.3.0.25.7z?dl=0

Unzip it, and just copy the system folder over the top of your current system folder. If you need help locating it, it's the folder that contains embyserver.exe. Thanks.

I've got exactly the same problem.

All the Library paths have disappeared.

I've been using Emby since it was Media Browser.

Does the patch work ?

Rjoancea

Copied the patched build over existing and didn't have luck initially with the libraries I had re-added/tried to fix yesterday.  Went and rolled a backup through the plugin to a 2d old backup with prior library definitions and it seemed to fix the issue, although most of my Collections and Movie images/meta went missing and are being rebuilt in an active scan it looks like right now (edit:finished in under 10m successfully).

Also have a prompt for restarting to 'finish' the upgrade now showing again, not sure if this will overwrite the patched version and throw me back in this mess (and noting the backup restore I did happened to have the autoupdate config still active).

Additional edit: survived server restart and now functioning *correctly* it looks like, at least so far as spot testing.  Thanks @@Luke for the quick patched build; will keep an eye here to see what the path forward is and if what those of us affected may have to do to reconverge or if that can be all baked into the next update sets.

Edited by Rjoancea

CashMoney

So to be clear, after installing the patch in this thread, we still need to run a scan.

Great. There goes my day as I put back all my custom artwork/chosen artwork :(

I moved to stable from the beta testing to prevent things like this.

• Like 1

This is a nightmare. Today I woke up in a hurry and saw Emby need a restart to update. After update to the new version, all my libraries are gone, movies, tv everything.

I never had the beta version. I always had the stable release and updated from the previous stable release.

So since I never backed up my library and I still have media in the middle of playback that need resume, I'm wondering how to restore without losing anything.

Do I have to install the patch and do a rescan? Will that work correctly? Need confirmation, I don't want to do a second thing that destroys my library.

Also now that we are here. What is the best backup solution? Is it a plugin and does it backup automatically?

I backed everything up, and notice a system.old folder dated 08/08/2019.

I replaced the files from the patch, and I've got the same problem still.

My metadata folder is over 625Mb, Cache is over 540Mb... and I'd hate to have to do a rebuild !

Do I just recopy the system.old over the data and turn off auto-update ?

Rjoancea

Another disastrous emby upgrade. Great

I'm not an apologist - I spent an hour or two yesterday trying to track this down that I shouldn't have had to, and never thrilled to see a bug push out on a stable release like that.

As to support/incident resolution - almost instant response, patch issued, and at least a workaround resolution in less than ~12h.  You just made me look back and I've had premier since 2014; in that time, I am struggling to think where I've *personally* ran into breaking issues that were primarily emby related - I've dealt with proxy and network issues, storage backing, and some earlier livetv pains, but generally speaking this is <knock on wood> one of the few full stop issues I can recall coming from emby itself.  I'm sure that my experience doesn't reflect everyone's, but this was at least enough of a ping for me to think about my own.

Also will note, this at face value appears to be more tied to baggage with providing a continuous support chain across multiple major rev's for literally years instead of a forced "clean" upgrade at some point in there - that may be part of a less than optimal decision to try and have that approach and then need to support/test/validate more legacy conditions, but I suppose counter that with the fact that I've had auto-update on for years and generally just treated emby as fire and forget on that front.  Not something I'd approve in real production/business critical, but for home applications (e.g. any home media server) - 1-2h fix at a rare rate vs. more constant maintenance and management is acceptable to me.

Spaceboy

I'm not an apologist - I spent an hour or two yesterday trying to track this down that I shouldn't have had to, and never thrilled to see a bug push out on a stable release like that.

As to support/incident resolution - almost instant response, patch issued, and at least a workaround resolution in less than ~12h. You just made me look back and I've had premier since 2014; in that time, I am struggling to think where I've *personally* ran into breaking issues that were primarily emby related - I've dealt with proxy and network issues, storage backing, and some earlier livetv pains, but generally speaking this is <knock on wood> one of the few full stop issues I can recall coming from emby itself. I'm sure that my experience doesn't reflect everyone's, but this was at least enough of a ping for me to think about my own.

Also will note, this at face value appears to be more tied to baggage with providing a continuous support chain across multiple major rev's for literally years instead of a forced "clean" upgrade at some point in there - that may be part of a less than optimal decision to try and have that approach and then need to support/test/validate more legacy conditions, but I suppose counter that with the fact that I've had auto-update on for years and generally just treated emby as fire and forget on that front. Not something I'd approve in real production/business critical, but for home applications (e.g. any home media server) - 1-2h fix at a rare rate vs. more constant maintenance and management is acceptable to me.

well you are lucky. This is far from the first of these instances
  • Like 1

Rjoancea

Do I have to install the patch and do a rescan? Will that work correctly? Need confirmation, I don't want to do a second thing that destroys my library.

Also now that we are here. What is the best backup solution? Is it a plugin and does it backup automatically?

For what its worth and my experience (see above), I was able to fix with the patch and a rescan, but since I had tried to rebuild my libraries before I also did a config rollback between there.  I'll also note I do *not* use custom images that some do - just rely upon the default metadata/image collectors and things like Box Sets/Collection plugins additionally, so can't personally speak to those scenarios.  

Backup - I use the config backup plugin and that seems to cover the general config options with rolling dailies with retention you can specify; however, for more comprehensive backup of all program data believe you'd have to rely on a higher-level solution.  Personally, this system wasn't one I had really cared to do given I figured I could rebuild emby with the configs relatively quickly, and had stopped taking vm snapshots on it quite a while back as well.

CBers

As to support/incident resolution - almost instant response, patch issued, and at least a workaround resolution in less than ~12h.  You just made me look back and I've had premier since 2014; in that time, I am struggling to think where I've *personally* ran into breaking issues that were primarily emby related - I've dealt with proxy and network issues, storage backing, and some earlier livetv pains, but generally speaking this is <knock on wood> one of the few full stop issues I can recall coming from emby itself.  I'm sure that my experience doesn't reflect everyone's, but this was at least enough of a ping for me to think about my own.

Also will note, this at face value appears to be more tied to baggage with providing a continuous support chain across multiple major rev's for literally years instead of a forced "clean" upgrade at some point in there - that may be part of a less than optimal decision to try and have that approach and then need to support/test/validate more legacy conditions, but I suppose counter that with the fact that I've had auto-update on for years and generally just treated emby as fire and forget on that front.  Not something I'd approve in real production/business critical, but for home applications (e.g. any home media server) - 1-2h fix at a rare rate vs. more constant maintenance and management is acceptable to me.

Not sure what the issue is, as it doesn't affect everyone that has upgraded from 4.2.0.1.

Would be interested in @@Luke's description of the issue though.

I am still on the last Beta and I do not have any of these issues, nor do any of my family and friends that have had the Stable upgrade install overnight.

This isn't something that was tested in BETA, as there are no testing plans when a BETA is released, just a "suck it and see" approach.

Beta releases need to be more structured and specific testing tasks need to be highlighted so that they can be tested thoroughly.

• Like 1

For what its worth and my experience (see above), I was able to fix with the patch and a rescan, but since I had tried to rebuild my libraries before I also did a config rollback between there.  I'll also note I do *not* use custom images that some do - just rely upon the default metadata/image collectors and things like Box Sets/Collection plugins additionally, so can't personally speak to those scenarios.  

Backup - I use the config backup plugin and that seems to cover the general config options with rolling dailies with retention you can specify; however, for more comprehensive backup of all program data believe you'd have to rely on a higher-level solution.  Personally, this system wasn't one I had really cared to do given I figured I could rebuild emby with the configs relatively quickly, and had stopped taking vm snapshots on it quite a while back as well.

Thanks for the info. The patched version should prevent others from having a problem once the update is re-released.

Rjoancea

well you are lucky. This is far from the first of these instances

That's fair, and luckily I haven't had to go through those - I could easily be in the minority here admittedly.  I'm also a bit more in the frame of mind of enterprise apps/services and support and contrasting in the limited instance here where I did run into an issue, I'm actually pleasantly surprised - on a home-use app (paid for or not, this isn't $MM/B software) that I paid for one time 5 1/2 years ago and still have support on, I've got incident response and resolution pretty quick.

I suppose I can turn a critical eye from my experience to other things like iOS local downloaded media being a 'promised' feature for legitimately years, but more annoyance in roadmap realization than defect.  And admittedly I haven't paid a cent in years, so my perspective is heavily weighted by that fact.

Bunnyhunter

Thanks for the info. The patched version should prevent others from having a problem once the update is re-released.

Is there already a timeframe for re-release?

Hopefully later today.

OK. I seem to have recovered everything WITHOUT applying the patch.

Is there any need to apply the patch at this point?

No, if you manually added the folders back then you're fine, you can just wait for the update to come through the normal channel.

So I went to download the patch and it is not there anymore:

404 That file isn’t here anymore

How can I manually add the folders? What file should I edit?