Emby on Minux Mint - standard install vs Docker?

piecesofme

piecesofme

Hello,

I’m wanting to try out Emby to see how it works for us and I’ll be installing it on an Intel NUC w/ Coffee Lake Core i7 setup running Linux Mint. I’m wondering what the advantages are of doing a standard install vs a Docker install? I’ve been searching online and don’t see much comparing the two. Is one easier than the other for initial setup or for long term maintainance? Any info would be brilliant!

Thanks so much in advance!!

Edited by piecesofme

Hi, we support both. The primary difference is that with Docker, our support for hardware accelerated transcoding is only experimental at this stage. If that feature is important to you, then I would suggest using the native package, or be prepared to have to manually configure or setup certain things in Docker in order to get it to work.

piecesofme

Hi, we support both. The primary difference is that with Docker, our support for hardware accelerated transcoding is only experimental at this stage. If that feature is important to you, then I would suggest using the native package, or be prepared to have to manually configure or setup certain things in Docker in order to get it to work.

Ahhh! I’m so glad you said this. I was moving forward with the Docker install but this could be something that’s helpful since I have the newer Coffee Lake i7. It will do well on helping with transcoding. I’ll try a standard install for now and look at potentially moving it down the road later on, if need be. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to share! I really appreciate it!!