I dont know if this is the right sub-forum to post it.. but i couldnt find a 'Mobile App' category. If its wrong, im sorry, please dont close it, but move it..
So, the problem i have at the moment
When the iOS App or Android App is used some content just doest play. When i check the logging it looks like it getting played, but the app just shows the loading icon for ever.
I tryed to find it in the logging, but it looks like its playing. I am kinda out of options why this happens, it weird part is that it doesnt happens with every video file. Just some.
Besides the content also taking a while to load, like 30-60 seconds at some point. What i find very weird.
The locations of my video content is added through a network path, \\server\movies\
Attached on this post are the logs.
I have Transcoding turned on Yes and all the my users are allowed to transcode.
Here is how my setup looks like.
- OS: Windows Server 2016
- RAM: 16GB DDR4-2400Mhz
- CPU: 2x Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz
- GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000
- VM on a VMWare ESxi 6.7 Update host, this VM has 24 vCPU's.
- QNAP TS-419U
- CPU: Marvell 1.2GHz
- RAM: 512MB DDRII
- Disks: 12 TB HDDs (4 Disks,Raid-5)
- Network: 2Gbps (Trunking/LACP 2x 1gbps)
- Switch: Netgear GS108Ev3
- Cables: I only use CAT-5e.
The only think i could think of is my out-dated NAS. Its the slowest device of my setup, but it should be fast enough. When i was running Plex there other issues ofcource, but not the issues i mentioned.
I hope someone has some advice or recommendations i could try.
Edited by Graxo, 28 August 2019 - 09:08 AM.