Photo

Accessing Emby Remotely (and adding new videos on server)

Synology Emby Abroad International smartphone

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 hollerme OFFLINE  

hollerme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Local time: 02:24 AM

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

Hi.

I am set to move abroad this Summer and was looking for help regarding a couple of important questions I have (related to each other).

As I am keeping my Synology at my home so my family may be able to access Emby on it and continue to watch the movies I own, the first question I have is how can I set up my laptop and smartphone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+) to be able to access Emby from abroad and watch videos from my collection.

The 2nd question I have is would I be able to continue adding videos to my Synology from abroad, and if so what are the steps to do so?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you tremendously to this community for all your help throughout.

#2 hollerme OFFLINE  

hollerme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:11 PM

If anyone knows if this is possible I would very much appreciate the help as I am keen to continue to use Emby while abroad to keep myself entertained.

#3 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129302 posts
  • Local time: 09:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:09 PM

The 2nd question I have is would I be able to continue adding videos to my Synology from abroad, and if so what are the steps to do so?

@FrostByte do you have any tips on this?

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129302 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:09 PM

how can I set up my laptop and smartphone

Hi, have you installed the Emby mobile app from the android app store? What is your laptop running, Windows?

• hollerme likes this

#5 FrostByte OFFLINE  

FrostByte

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 3996 posts
  • LocationThe UP

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:50 PM

Sorry, I may not be able to help much as I don't use remote access on my Synology but the following thread has some good information on how to allow remote access

https://emby.media/c...ot-see-content/

• CBers and hollerme like this

#6 hollerme OFFLINE  

hollerme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:16 AM

Hi Luke,

Yes I have the Emby mobile app on my phone which I downloaded from the Android app store. It works at home but the movement I leave the house I am unable to connect.

My laptop is running Windows 10.

Hi, have you installed the Emby mobile app from the android app store? What is your laptop running, Windows?

#7 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129302 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

I would suggest checking out our connection troubleshooter:

https://github.com/M...ki/Connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks.
  • hollerme likes this

#8 pmurphy0881 OFFLINE  

pmurphy0881

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

...how can I set up my laptop and smartphone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+) to be able to access Emby from abroad and watch videos from my collection.

I am assuming that nobody here is running a commercial internet service to their house with static ip's...

So that being said I would look at doing the following.

1.)

Check your firewall/router to see if you can do port forwarding... Almost all of them do

setup your PC, synology, routers, whatever you want with a DDNS service (Some routers have it built in).  It doesn't matter what device you set it up on as long as it's running and inside your network.   This will allow you to setup a name instead of an ip address to your emby installation.

Now complete the port forwarding setup and direct the port numbers that you want to reference externally directed to your emby server internal IP address and port.

2.)

This one really depends on what is available from the Synology...  I did a quick search online and found that on you tube there is someone who has gone over the available methods to solve your problem.  Just keep in mind that if you do this first and they ask you to setup a DDNS service, then you can skip that from my list above.  You would only need to do the port forwarding.  The link to his video is below to give you an overview.

Hope that this helps you out some.

• hollerme likes this

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129302 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:42 PM

Thanks @pmurphy0881 !

#10 hollerme OFFLINE  

hollerme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for this, I'm trying to follow the steps and thus far everything appears to be going well so I'm grateful for these steps but when I go on Emby on my phone (I turned off the wi-fi to test it out) I don't know what to input under Host. The port figure is automatically filled (it says 8096) but I am at a loss for what to fill out host with. I attempted the external synology page I created following the youtube video (username.synology.me) but that didn't work. I also went to Emby settings on my laptop and inputted the Remote (WAN) access figure on my phone in that same field but got an error message then too (Connection failure). Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

I am assuming that nobody here is running a commercial internet service to their house with static ip's...

So that being said I would look at doing the following.

1.)

Check your firewall/router to see if you can do port forwarding... Almost all of them do

setup your PC, synology, routers, whatever you want with a DDNS service (Some routers have it built in).  It doesn't matter what device you set it up on as long as it's running and inside your network.   This will allow you to setup a name instead of an ip address to your emby installation.

Now complete the port forwarding setup and direct the port numbers that you want to reference externally directed to your emby server internal IP address and port.

2.)

This one really depends on what is available from the Synology...  I did a quick search online and found that on you tube there is someone who has gone over the available methods to solve your problem.  Just keep in mind that if you do this first and they ask you to setup a DDNS service, then you can skip that from my list above.  You would only need to do the port forwarding.  The link to his video is below to give you an overview.

Hope that this helps you out some.

Edited by hollerme, 24 May 2019 - 12:09 PM.

#11 chef OFFLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 3786 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Canada

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:55 PM

You would use your public ip address.

But beware that public ips change to thwart attacks, so you'll have to keep an eye on that.

Edited by chef, 24 May 2019 - 12:55 PM.

#12 chef OFFLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 3786 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Canada

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

Might be too advanced, but if you are serious about accessing media remotely, maybe a domain purchase isn't out of the question here.

Then you can update the records on the domain consistently, and log into emby using a domain name.

Not sure if it is too much of a recommendation for ya.

EDIT: my domain get checked and updated every hour with a script that run on my server, so even if the ISP changes my public address, the script catches it and changes the domains A type records automatically...

Edited by chef, 28 May 2019 - 07:40 PM.

• hollerme likes this

#13 pmurphy0881 OFFLINE  

pmurphy0881

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

You don't want to setup your app using the external IP address... That is subject to change before you are able to get back.

The whole key to being able to access your system from a Dynamic IP address is to have your Synology setup with a DDNS server.  By doing this it will provide you with a domain name that will use whatever the current IP address of your Synology is... So in a couple of weeks, days, months, etc... when your ISP changes your IP address you will still be able to access it.

So to better assist you in figuring this out help me out with a few things.

1.)  Did you setup your Synology with DDNS and did you take not of the domain name that they provided you?

2.)  What type of router or modem do you have?

3.)  Is your router also your modem like a Verizon Fios modem would be or is it 2 items like a standalone cable modem that then feeds to a separate router?

3a.)  If it's separate then please provide me with the model of your modem.

4.)  If DDNS was setup and you have a domain name for your Synology box, have you done any port forwarding in your modem and/or router to ensure that the traffic can get in from the outside?

If you can help me out with some of that I'm sure that we can get you up and running.

• hollerme likes this

#14 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 129302 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

@hollerme has any of this information helped?

#15 hollerme OFFLINE  

hollerme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for this, and to answer your questions:

1.)  Did you setup your Synology with DDNS and did you take not of the domain name that they provided you? Is this the one that goes username.synology.me in which case yes I did.

2.)  What type of router or modem do you have? BT Smart Hub

3.)  Is your router also your modem like a Verizon Fios modem would be or is it 2 items like a standalone cable modem that then feeds to a separate router?

3a.)  If it's separate then please provide me with the model of your modem. I believe my router is also my modem.

4.)  If DDNS was setup and you have a domain name for your Synology box, have you done any port forwarding in your modem and/or router to ensure that the traffic can get in from the outside? I think so (I used the YouTube video above) but plan on calling my internet provider to check and confirm.

You don't want to setup your app using the external IP address... That is subject to change before you are able to get back.

The whole key to being able to access your system from a Dynamic IP address is to have your Synology setup with a DDNS server.  By doing this it will provide you with a domain name that will use whatever the current IP address of your Synology is... So in a couple of weeks, days, months, etc... when your ISP changes your IP address you will still be able to access it.

So to better assist you in figuring this out help me out with a few things.

1.)  Did you setup your Synology with DDNS and did you take not of the domain name that they provided you?

2.)  What type of router or modem do you have?

3a.)  If it's separate then please provide me with the model of your modem.

4.)  If DDNS was setup and you have a domain name for your Synology box, have you done any port forwarding in your modem and/or router to ensure that the traffic can get in from the outside?

If you can help me out with some of that I'm sure that we can get you up and running.

#16 hollerme OFFLINE  

hollerme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

It has, I've replied to one of the posts above just now so hopefully with the community's support I can get remote access up and running this week.

@hollerme has any of this information helped?

Edited by hollerme, 28 May 2019 - 06:44 PM.

• Luke likes this

#17 hollerme OFFLINE  

hollerme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:15 AM

Okay, I am trying to create a port forwarding rule on my router. It shows available devices some of which have titles that make sense (Android) and others which don't. How do I find out which one my Synology is?

#18 pmurphy0881 OFFLINE  

pmurphy0881

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:04 AM

AWESOME!!!

That is the info that I needed.

So yes, you do have a DDNS service configured for your synology device.  It is the <name>.synology.me that has been assigned to your device.

So the only thing standing in your way is the port forwarding to get this working.  So what you are going to want to do is to now find the ip address of your synology device and setup the port forwarding.

There is a link below for your make/brand of gateway router on how to setup port forwarding, but there are a few versions so not sure which one to direct you to.

http://bt.custhelp.c...g-on-my-bt-hub?

If you cannot identify by IP the device(your synology) that you want to direct the traffic to then you will need to find the mac address for the synology.  Most will show both the IP and Mac when choosing a device.

Synology has been assigned the following mac identifier     00:11:32  so should you not be able to find it and you only have 1 synology hooked up look for a mac address starting with that code.  It should be your synology.

• hollerme likes this

#19 hollerme OFFLINE  

hollerme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for this, I have identified my Synology with your tip and am now on the next step to set up port forwarding. For the Internal/External Ports do I just fill it with the number 80? And what Protocol should I select (options were: TCP, UDP, TCP/UDP)?

AWESOME!!!

That is the info that I needed.

So yes, you do have a DDNS service configured for your synology device.  It is the <name>.synology.me that has been assigned to your device.

So the only thing standing in your way is the port forwarding to get this working.  So what you are going to want to do is to now find the ip address of your synology device and setup the port forwarding.

There is a link below for your make/brand of gateway router on how to setup port forwarding, but there are a few versions so not sure which one to direct you to.

http://bt.custhelp.c...g-on-my-bt-hub?

If you cannot identify by IP the device(your synology) that you want to direct the traffic to then you will need to find the mac address for the synology.  Most will show both the IP and Mac when choosing a device.

Synology has been assigned the following mac identifier     00:11:32  so should you not be able to find it and you only have 1 synology hooked up look for a mac address starting with that code.  It should be your syno

#20 pmurphy0881 OFFLINE  

pmurphy0881

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for this, I have identified my Synology with your tip and am now on the next step to set up port forwarding. For the Internal/External Ports do I just fill it with the number 80? And what Protocol should I select (options were: TCP, UDP, TCP/UDP)?

1.)  What ports do I just fill it with?   You are going to setup 2 port forwards.  One for http and one for https  If you are using the standard Emby installation you will use port 8096 for http and 8920 for https.

1a.)  When setting these ports you should have an option for source port number and destination port number.  They should be the same.

Example:      Source Port number:    8096           Destination:  Your Synology device         Destination port number:    8096           Protocol:     TCP

2.)  What protocol should I select?    TCP

When you setup your app on your mobile device after you have this setup you will enter the DDNS name given to you by synology as the server name/destination and the port number that your emby server uses.  I would first try the 8096 port first so we don't have to worry about any SSL certifications getting in the way.

• hollerme likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Synology, Emby, Abroad, International, smartphone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users