• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jaspils OFFLINE  

jaspils

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 AM

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:31 AM

I have had Emby for quite a time now and recently bought Emby Premiere so I could use it on more platforms. I have my Emby server running locally on Debian and can connect remotely through my domain (assume my.domain.com). 

Emby works fine (with SSL) on following the devices I tested:

• Android app
  • iOS app
  • Windows Store app
  • Xbox One app
  • Most PCs web interface

However, I could not get it working with SSL on my LG TV with WebOS 3.5 (LG OLED55B6V if it matters). It did work on a non-secure connection, but when I try to add the server as SSL connection, it simply denies connection like it doesn't even exist. Even when I log onto my Emby Connect account, it simply doesn't show the server, where all other devices do.

Now I've read some problems about the SSL certificate (https://emby.media/c...ting-to-server/), I'm currently using Comodo PostiveSSL as a certificate, which I have seen at least one other person have problems with as wel. However, I've also seen that some people with Let'sEncrypt have this problem. (https://emby.media/c...ect-over-https/)

There is suggested that LG is simply blocking my certificate, but when I go to my site with the WebOS webbrowser (same certificate), it allows the certificate and shows the site as 'secure'. So somewhere the TV actually does allow the certificate. So I'm not sure where the problem resides.

Also, I've shortly tested it on a PS4 from a friend. There was no app, so I used the built-in webbrowser. It also didn't seem to work there, seemed to have the same problem: simply not showing the server. Didn't have much time to test it there, so don't pin me on this.

My question is: does anyone have Emby running over SSL with any certificate on LG WebOS 3.5? If so, what certificate do you use?

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146507 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 AM

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

The question for PS4 is do the devices trust your certificate? As far as the LG app goes, that's interesting that the browser works. We haven't actually spent a whole lot of time on this yet, but it's something we can look into. Thanks.

#3 jaspils OFFLINE  

jaspils

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

Well, the PS4 is the least of my worries, since it's not even my own device. However, I would like it to work on my TV. (It does work without SSL though, but I really prefer SSL).

I'm just very interested if someone at all has Emby working over SSL on LG, and with what certificate, because I might just get that specific certificate (next time). 

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146507 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:35 AM

@kwilcox have you looked at SSL in screenplay?

#5 jaspils OFFLINE  

jaspils

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:02 AM

I've tested Screenplay as well as the Emby app. Both give the same error.

#6 SamES OFFLINE  

SamES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1113 posts
  • Local time: 04:59 PM

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

This has come up a few times and I'm not aware of anyone getting it to work successfully.  There is very little on the developer site which suggests it is just not supported.

At the very bottom of this page there is reference to 'Trusted Root Certificates in webOS TV' 

http://webostv.devel...orm/web-engine/

Dumping these out gives me this list, but I'm not sure it helps

Attached File  certs.txt   191.05KB   4 downloads

Edited by SamES, 24 January 2019 - 08:38 AM.

#7 kwilcox OFFLINE  

kwilcox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 PM

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

@Luke, I have not.  One thing I do know is that screenplay only ever worked when a legitimate (not self signed) cert was installed on Emby Server.  You folks are on the right track by examining the trusted roots installed on the TV.  Probably will need a cert chained to one of those installed.  Lets Encrypt certs did work (at least on WebOS 3.0 and <) but that appears to no longer be the case.

Edited by kwilcox, 24 January 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#8 MarshallandConnie OFFLINE  

MarshallandConnie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:17 AM

I just bought a LG smart tv and the Emby app on it doesn't work at all I have baconfeet and can't see anything on any of my categories. I contacted LG and what a waste of time they are. Any idea on update

#9 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 146507 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:44 AM

I just bought a LG smart tv and the Emby app on it doesn't work at all I have baconfeet and can't see anything on any of my categories. I contacted LG and what a waste of time they are. Any idea on update

Hi there, can you please describe your problem in more detail? Thanks !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SSL, Certificate, LG WebOS, Emby App, Web OS 3.5, Error, no connection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users