Nvidia Shield TV or Apple 4K TV

arthurd123

Guest asrequested

Well hush my mouth! I figured I'd actually plug the shield into my 4k display, and play around with it. And it appears to be an Emby snaphoo (more specifically, ffmpeg) with my HDR movies. Lemme splain.

My display doesn't support TrueHD so playback needs remuxing, video stream copy, as witnessed below:

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (truehd (native) -> ac3 (native))

When this happens, I get some pixel blocks and mostly black screen. Once playback starts proper, I change the audio to the supported dolby 5.1. The remux ends, and direct plays...it actually plays! HDR picture, it plays! (Transcode log attached).

So this would imply that ffmpeg isn't handling it, well. This would also splain why mpv decoding with cuda has the same result. ffmpeg is involved in both instances. Many pardons, Nvidia. So maybe when ffmpeg is used, force it to use dxva2 to decode everything?

I still have several movies that the HDR metadata isn't applied. I don't know why that happens.

@@ebr I sent a log from the shield at around 2:30pm.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

This post is HOT :) love it

Sorry @@Hitsville I picked up the same receiver as you....just managed to plug all in teh boss has gone to bed so testing times with an ALE of course :)

Play time! :D

Don't wake the boss with explosions, though. You may not have the receiver for very long :)

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

arthurd123

If you re-read my post you would realize it’s 2 bad experiences, in a row about 1 year apart. What’s even worse is it’s both the models they offer. It’s actually pretty common if you go to their forms you can read about the issue yourself. I really can’t recommend the shield to anyone, just a heads up buyer beware. I have also had other Android TV streamers such as the Nexus Player and the Mi box. Both of those boxes did not have this issue and we’re pretty flawless. If you do decide to go with the shield, just make sure you buy it somewhere you can get a refund easily.

Right can you please list your set up just out of curiosity?

Just plugged in my brand spanking new receiver and the audio codecs are being supported Denon picks them up speaker configuration is irrelevant here, I think it;s the power prepossessing what you need most to overcome the issue, you can not expect to have a True HD movie and expect the Shield TV to process this if you TV can not support it, perhaps I'm out of my depth here but compatibility is the way forward. To that account nVidia, Intel and rest have a got a way to go to put a standard in place, especially for HTPC use......

Someone has already mentioned it here you cant get a perfect car for God sake I want more BHP but cant afford a Bentley :)

Allan Cameron

Right can you please list your set up just out of curiosity?

Just plugged in my brand spanking new receiver and the audio codecs are being supported Denon picks them up speaker configuration is irrelevant here, I think it;s the power prepossessing what you need most to overcome the issue, you can not expect to have a True HD movie and expect the Shield TV to process this if you TV can not support it, perhaps I'm out of my depth here but compatibility is the way forward. To that account nVidia, Intel and rest have a got a way to go to put a standard in place, especially for HTPC use......

Someone has already mentioned it here you cant get a perfect car for God sake I want more BHP but cant afford a Bentley :)

I was using just your standard typical set up, shield plugged in via HDMI directly to the TV. Ethernet wired. Those are not the issues the issues is the android TV operating system itself completely freezing the shield so it’s unresponsive. The whole shield TV would lock up and nothing worked without unplugging it and plugging it back in again. That of course was only a temporary fix. As I said this is a common issue with the shield on their forms.

arthurd123

Play time! :D

Don't wake the boss with explosions, though. You may not have the receiver for very long :)

Haha to right well wine helped :)

On another side note getting True HD on Star Wars - Direct, and DTS on the new Avengers Infinity of War .............

Bloody game changer for me......

Now let the Boss learn new GUI in Emby  ha ha ....I'm dead!

Edited by arthurd123
  • Like 1

arthurd123

I was using just your standard typical set up, shield plugged in via HDMI directly to the TV. Ethernet wired. Those are not the issues the issues is the android TV operating system itself completely freezing the shield so it’s unresponsive. The whole shield TV would lock up and nothing worked without unplugging it and plugging it back in again. That of course was only a temporary fix. As I said this is a common issue with the shield on their forms.

What about the info on your media files ??? Codecs etc.....

Edited by arthurd123

arthurd123

Either way folks I know we have a mixture of people form all the world....

Fact is that we talk about technology and I sincerely hope everyone is OK with you and your familes despite all those Hurricanes around these days and hope the ones affected do get through it! God bless!

Guest asrequested

Haha to right well wine helped :)

On another side note getting True HD on Star Wars - Direct, and DTS on the new Avengers Infinity of War .............

Bloody game changer for me......

Now let the Boss learn new GUI in Emby  ha ha ....I'm dead!

Now you need an Atmos speaker setup :D

• Like 1

Allan Cameron

What about the info on your media files ??? Codecs etc.....

This freezing issue never occurred while trying to play content. All the lock ups took place on the shield home screen before doing anything. I never really got a chance to use any apps with the constant freezing. Second time around it did this even after getting the latest system update the same day. Because I purchased both times from Amazon it was an easy return and refund. Some others on Amazon had the same issue and gave it 1 star as I did. The little bit of reading i did do before sending it back seems to point towards a possible hardware issue. The bottom line for me is buying the same device twice a year apart and even a different newer model and still the same issue is a final for me.

• 6 months later...
ebnerjoh

Hi,

I want to change a little bit my system, but not sure if Apple TV or Nvidia Shield is the right way.

My current Setup looks the following:

Server:
UnRaid Server on an HP ML10 Gen9  with Emby (transcoding works, but only software based, so not really fast and only 1transcoding at the same time)

Client:
Sony Bravia 55XD8505 (Android TV with Amazon and Netflix App)
Yamaha RX-V681 with 5.1 Speaker setup + 2x Height Speaker (not using ATMOS DTS-X as I am using Sound Programs and they are not supported with ATMOS/DTS-X)
Odroid C2 with Kodi and Emby Plugin (only Streaming from Emby, no other sources. Most Videos are MKV encoded)
Harmony Remote

What I do not like on the current setup is the follwoing:
1) Android TV on the Sony. Buggy and slow
2) Bigger Upgrades on Odroid Kodi. After last update (Kodi 8 to 9) I had a long downtime until I got Emby Plugin again working

3) Optional: Screen Mirroring from my iPad/iPhones

At the moment I think the Apple looks interesting but I am not 100% sure.

*) Can the latest Apple TV support me with the issues? Can I use Kodi with Emby Plugin incl. 5.1 DD to Yamaha Receiver?
*) Is there still a limitation of the Amazon Prime Video App that it is not able to send 5.1 to the receiver?

*) There is Kodi Support available, but I am not sure about the Emby Plugin. But maybe this is anyhow the wrong direction as there is a Emby App available?

Best Regards,
Johannes