Nvidia Shield TV or Apple 4K TV

arthurd123

arthurd123

Hello everyone,

I'm split between which 4K streamer device to buy and I apoliogise in advance as I believe it was probably covered a million times.

I will be mainly using is for 4K HDR/HD movies and DVB Link live tv.

Many thanks!

Hitsville

What formats are your files?

If they are .mkv you would be better going with the Shield.

From what I see Emby can't simply mux the .mkv container to .mp4 in the way that Plex does.

A shame because to my eyes the ATV 4K is head and shoulders better than the Shield.

I think I did read that Emby are redoing the ATV app though and not relying on the native player.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by Hitsville

arthurd123

What formats are your files?

If they are .mkv you would be better going with the Shield.

From what I see Emby can't simply mux the .mkv container to .mp4 in the way that Plex does.

A shame because to my eyes the ATV 4K is head and shoulders better than the Shield.

I think I did read that Emby are redoing the ATV app though and not relying on the native player.

Hey Hitsville,

Thanks for your input I will be mainly using .mkv files.

I do have a Windows 7 HTPC which is also running my Emby Server, however getting it updated to allow HDR contetnt means I would have spend a lot of money hence I'm considering one of the two above.

Windows HTPC days is coming to an end I reckon it's still good to have but we are slowly moving away from them as smaller powerful boxes can do the same with a lesser price tag.

Edited by arthurd123

Deathsquirrel

If your media is in Apple-friendly formats consider the apple TV.  Otherwise Shield hands-down.  Unless you're MP4 containers, h264 video, and AAC audio that means Shield will do a much better job of playback without transcoding.

Guest asrequested

Everything is better than nibbled fruit! Nibbled fruit is where tech goes to die! Never buy nibbled fruit! It always tastes bad!

• Like 2

Hitsville

Everything is better than nibbled fruit! Nibbled fruit is where tech goes to die! Never buy nibbled fruit! It always tastes bad!

Lol.

It tastes bad but looks better. At least with HDR files.

I'm in a situation of having an OLED LG an ATV 4K, a Shield and an HTPC.

HDR looks incredible on three of those devices.

It looks ok on the Shield but nothing like the others.

Hitsville

Yeah it's been out of action a while cos it sucks with Plex Media Player.

Now I'm back here I was pretty impressed with Emby Theatre.

Guest asrequested

Yeah it's been out of action a while cos it sucks with Plex Media Player.

Now I'm back here I was pretty impressed with Emby Theatre.

mpv is a great player

Hitsville

mpv is a great player

Bear with me cos I'm pretty new to this, so am probably missing something.

But isn't mpv player what the Shield uses that imho looks inferior to all the other devices?

CBers

:D

CBers

But isn't mpv player what the Shield uses that imho looks inferior to all the other devices?

No, the Shield would use EXOPLAYER by default.

The Emby Android TV (ATV) app uses EXOPLAYER by default, but you can choose to use the MPV player for Live and recorded TV in the ATV app.

arthurd123

Lol.

It tastes bad but looks better. At least with HDR files.

I'm in a situation of having an OLED LG an ATV 4K, a Shield and an HTPC.

HDR looks incredible on three of those devices.

It looks ok on the Shield but nothing like the others.

May I ask what spec is your HTPC?

I know a decent CUP is required as well as a HDCP 2.2 GPU anything else I have missed? Not sure on the setup with as in codecs etc....

Hitsville

Bear with me I'm stuck at work.

I know the CPU is a Ryzen and the graphics card Nvidia.

I get my Atmos reciever next weekend. [emoji3]

If you are an Apple family and use their ecosystem (iTunes) for your media and have iPhones, then choose the Apple TV.  Instead, if you are an Android family with those phones, you are probably better off with the Shield.

The choice is really more about all the other stuff you will do with the box rather than Emby.

Guest asrequested

The MPV version used in Android, is the little brother. The version used in Theater, is the fully developed version. It has much more capability. If you're curious

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/

And I do a lot of testing with it

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-160&do=findComment&comment=615133

Hitsville

The MPV version used in Android, is the little brother. The version used in Theater, is the fully developed version. It has much more capability. If you're curious

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/

And I do a lot of testing with it

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-160&do=findComment&comment=615133

Awesome. Time to dig out my harmony again too.

ARC obviously won't cut it with Atmos, when I get the new reciever. I gotta say I was pretty blown away when I spent an hour last night quicly looking at Emby Theatre.

Roll on Friday. [emoji3]

Guest asrequested

May I ask what spec is your HTPC?

I know a decent CPU is required as well as a HDCP 2.2 GPU anything else I have missed? Not sure on the setup with as in codecs etc....

You don't need HDCP compliance (but you'll probably have it, anyway). You don't need to install any codecs. A GPU that supports hardware decoding of HEVC is highly recommended (I use an Nvidia GTX 1050). Just install and use Theater desktop. It has everything you need.

arthurd123

I have a GT660 in my Windows 7 HTPC, I thought you have to have a HDMI 2.0 GPU in order to be able to pass HDR content?

My AV receiver also needs to be able to pass process this content my TX NR-616 is a little old even though it has upscaling to 4K.

Also I think Windows 10 needs to be installed but I may be wrong.

Guest asrequested

I have a GT660 in my Windows 7 HTPC, I thought you have to have a HDMI 2.0 GPU in order to be able to pass HDR content?

My AV receiver also needs to be able to pass process this content my TX NR-616 is a little old even though it has upscaling to 4K.

Also I think Windows 10 needs to be installed but I may be wrong.

mpv doesn't pass HDR metadata. It uses tone mapping algorithms. But you still need the bandwidth for 4k content (HDMI 2.0 or above). That GPU isn't going to be able to handle HEVC decoding. If you get a GTX 1050, you should be fine.

Hitsville

mpv doesn't pass HDR metadata. It uses tone mapping algorithms. But you still need the bandwidth for 4k content (HDMI 2.0 or above). That GPU isn't going to be able to handle HEVC decoding. If you get a GTX 1050, you should be fine.

Oh no HDR?

That will be a deal breaker. [emoji50]

Guest asrequested

Oh no HDR?

That will be a deal breaker. [emoji50]

That's not what I said. It uses Perceptual Quantization to render the HDR metadata to the video, instead of letting the display do it. Here, look as this post and see the results I get.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/?p=610445

And look at this post, it will put to rest your HDR fears.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/?p=600610

Edited by Doofus

Hitsville

That's not what I said. It uses Perceptual Quantization to render the HDR metadata to the video, instead of letting the display do it. Here, look as this post and see the results I get.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/?p=610445

And look at this post, it will put to rest your HDR fears.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/?p=600610

Ah cool. That's a serious amount of reading.

I noticed at one point while skimming through you mentioned you're using the latest version of mpv.

Is that something I need to look at, or on a recent emby theatre install will it already be the latest version?