Nvidia Shield TV or Apple 4K TV

arthurd123

arthurd123

Whoah I seem to have opened a can of worms here. Sorry!!

Personally I haven't really had performance issues with HDR on the Shield. I just found the picture less impressive compared to the other devices. To be fair that was with Plex and I haven't got round to trying Emby on the Shield. It's on my to do list this weekend. 

Thanks for all the help, tips and discussion though. For now I'm probably leaning towards Emby Theatre on the HTPC. I do have a slight display issue but will take that to the relevant part of the forum. I feel like I hijacked @@arthurd123 topic, so apologies to you. 

No worries @Hitsville 

There's been some great discussions to be honest with you, being Windows based HTPC guy for years I know that no streaming box is perfect yet neither is Windows so a good insight at the same time. Like I said I want to use DVB Link for my Sat TV as well I know they do a client on App Store and Play Store but I wanted to have everything in one place if you know what I mean as I'm still running everything on Windows 7 MCE so I have to figure something out. I have used Emby since it was called Media Browser so years of service.

I have just received my Shield had a look at it and bloody hell it's tiny! My 4K HDR set is being deliverd on Thursday so play time on the weekend.... 

I might just invest in a decent GPU and have it that way but need a front end app like EMBY so everything will be in one place, Movies and Live TV. Windows 7 MCE is great but I think it's time to move on especially if I will upgrade to TV Mosaic etc...

Edited by arthurd123
  • Like 2

Guest asrequested

The big difference between using a 'box' and an HTPC is that if something isn't working quite right, you have really good shot at fixing it yourself. That's why I love them. You get a plethora of options. I can get anything to play on mine. Now mpv is in use, the options have increased. I'm finding different ways to use it, continually. And it's development is fantastic!

• Like 1

The big difference between using a 'box' and an HTPC is that if something isn't working quite right, you have really good shot at fixing it yourself. That's why I love them. You get a plethora of options. I can get anything to play on mine. Now mpv is in use, the options have increased. I'm finding different ways to use it, continually. And it's development is fantastic!

Just for the casual reader of this thread...

Yes, for folks like you the above is correct.  However, for many folks, the chances of "something not working quite right" with an HTPC are very high and their ability to fix it could be very low :).  Thus the appeal for the general user.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Thanks Doofus,

I have read 100's of forums and there is no definitive answer anywhere, the Windows HTPC 4K/HDR compatibility is very vague still.

I should probably make a thread to explain this, and how mpv works. I've explained it in various threads but making one specifically for it would probably help some people.

• Like 2

arthurd123

I should probably make a thread to explain this, and how mpv works. I've explained it in various threads but making one specifically for it would probably help some people.

Doofus

Would be great for someone like me I say bring it on...complete novice when it comes to the MPV stuff.

In the meantime if you have any links I would gladly read them.

Thanks again! 

Edited by arthurd123
  • Like 1

Hitsville

One other question from me.

Do any one you guys using Emby Thatre have a harmony?

I'm just wondering if a WMC profile is the best way to go?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Doofus

Would be great for someone like me I say bring it on...complete novice when it comes to the MPV stuff.

In the meantime if you have any links I would gladly read them.

Thanks again!

I've made a bunch of posts on this stuff. But I'd suggest trying the default settings with auto copyback for hardware acceleration, first. Then if you want to make adjustments, I can help you. One key point, are you using Live TV or playing any interlaceced media?

Guest asrequested

One other question from me.

Do any one you guys using Emby Thatre have a harmony?

I'm just wondering if a WMC profile is the best way to go?

I use a harmony hub. It works well.

You can look here for mapping options

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Keyboard%20and%20Remote%20Support

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Hitsville

:o Don't say that I just bought one!

Actually I just decided to try out Emby on my Shield. (My previous comment was purely based on Plex)

Watching the new HDR remux of Bad Boys 2.

Flicking between Emby on Emby Theatre, MrMC and Infuse on my Apple TV 4K and the Emby on the Shield. I actually noticed no discernable difference.

I have no idea if Plex and Emby use different players on the Shield.

Also I have no idea if the UI has just been updated on the Shield over the last couple of days, but what I see now is definitely not what I saw the other day when I Installed it (but didn't actually do any playback of HDR.)

Anyways I'm gonna hold back now on any further comparisons until I get my Atmos reciever at the end of the week.

But right now I'm starting to feel the love for the Shield using Emby.

I do really like using an HTPC, however Windows being Windows there's always gonna be the times where it reboots etc...

When I get home from a 14 hour day I really don't wanna be screwing around with a mouse or keyboard making sure E.T. is open and then switching to my harmony remote.

For me the Jury is still out... hopefully I will have a verdict over the weekend. [emoji23]

• Like 2

CBers

Flicking between Emby on Emby Theatre, MrMC and Infuse on my Apple TV 4K and the Emby on the Shield. I actually noticed no discernable difference.

:)

Hitsville

Yeah me too on my days off.

I will always despise the Shield remote though.

The first one vanished and I still lose the replacement.

No idea why the Apple TV 4K remote despite being vastly smaller... I never lose.

Whatever happens I do like a change of UI and I do like eye/ear candy.

Back in the day I purchased the Movie and TV show theme music and moving backdrop add-ons. I haven't got as far as re-setting them up on E.T. Or indeed looking if they are available on other clients.

It may end up being E.T. on my four days off and the Shield for quick viewing after my shifts.

[emoji3]

Guest asrequested

Oh hell yeah! The shield remote is the worst I've had the displeasure of using. The idiot who thought it was a good idea to make the volume control a touch sensor that you have to slide your finger over, needs to be banished from the tech world. And it's connection to the box is intermittent. Garbage!

arthurd123

How's the DVB Link plugin working on Emby any good? I have just instatlled the latest release version and I get no channels on the guide weird... have also installed Kodi (I know) and the DVBLink PVR Add on works great not sure about the rest of Kodi :)

post-4720-0-93999200-1536188592_thumb.png

Edited by arthurd123

CBers

Oh hell yeah! The shield remote is the worst I've had the displeasure of using. The idiot who thought it was a good idea to make the volume control a touch sensor that you have to slide your finger over, needs to be banished from the tech world. And it's connection to the box is intermittent. Garbage!

You can fix the volume slider so it just works with your TV remote.

The remote is fine. It does everything you need it to do.

Edited by CBers

Guest asrequested

You can fix the volume slider so it just works with your TV remote.

The remote is fine. It does everything you need it to do.

I'd like it to control my tv volume via button press. But it can't do that. I'd like it to have a solid link to the box, but it keeps disconnecting. It has no power button. It pretty much does everything wrong. The MiBox remote works every time. But sadly won't control the tv volume. Not a big deal for me. I want to keep it the same volume all the time, anyway. I might look into using a remote of my choice. That's probably possible.

jasonmcroy

I'd like it to control my tv volume via button press. But it can't do that. I'd like it to have a solid link to the box, but it keeps disconnecting. It has no power button. It pretty much does everything wrong. The MiBox remote works every time. But sadly won't control the tv volume. Not a big deal for me. I want to keep it the same volume all the time, anyway. I might look into using a remote of my choice. That's probably possible.

Just to chime in here on the remote usage on the Shield  (I also hate the remote that comes with the Shield.) 

I also have a Harmony Hub and the Harmony companion remote. I use the Nvidia profile on the hub and it works great. It connects via bluetooth and I have the button press for my receive volume. Works like a charm so I have the Shield remote in a drawer.  :)

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Just to chime in here on the remote usage on the Shield  (I also hate the remote that comes with the Shield.) 

I also have a Harmony Hub and the Harmony companion remote. I use the Nvidia profile on the hub and it works great. It connects via bluetooth and I have the button press for my receive volume. Works like a charm so I have the Shield remote in a drawer.  :)

I'll keep that in mind if I ever use the shield, again.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Does this topic make everyone want to build an htpc?

LMAO...IT MAKES MEEEEEE!!!!!!! :D

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

Hitsville

Does this topic make everyone want to build an htpc?

Well for me, If I didn't already have one I would probably settle for one of my existing devices.

Despite having one I may still settle on one of my others devices.

That said If sometime way in the future we get an embedded Emby Theatre then I would almost certainly make that my default device without hesitation.  ;)

Guest asrequested

Well for me, If I didn't already have one I would probably settle for one of my existing devices.

Despite having one I may still settle on one of my others devices.

That said If sometime way in the future we get an embedded Emby Theatre then I would almost certainly make that my default device without hesitation.  ;)

Windows has more support. An image is going to be built on NIX.

Hitsville

Windows has more support. An image is going to be built on NIX.

Yeah true enough.

Plex Media Player v1 used Libre Elec if I recall. Their latest version of PMP hasn't seen light of day on Embedded.

But honestly the v1 version was  pretty cool (and ugly). There was something awesome about having a device that served no other purpose, always on and always focused on the usage it was designed for. 

Anyways... Time for work.  :angry:

Guest asrequested

Yeah true enough.

Plex Media Player v1 used Libre Elec if I recall. Their latest version of PMP hasn't seen light of day on Embedded.

But honestly the v1 version was  pretty cool (and ugly). There was something awesome about having a device that served no other purpose, always on and always focused on the usage it was designed for. 

Anyways... Time for work.  :angry:

They are working on it.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/2142-emby-theater/?p=613455

• Like 1

Hitsville

Woah. I need to stop posting until my days off when I can finally sit down and read some more on Emby. Doing all this testing in 2 hours after work is making me look pretty dumb.[emoji16]

Thanks for the link yet again.