Nvidia Shield TV or Apple 4K TV

arthurd123

Guest asrequested

Ah cool. That's a serious amount of reading.

I noticed at one point while skimming through you mentioned you're using the latest version of mpv.

Is that something I need to look at, or on a recent emby theatre install will it already be the latest version?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3.0.2 has a recent enough version. There are presently only 26 commits since they released that version. So you're good.

Hitsville

3.0.2 has a recent enough version. There are presently only 26 commits since they released that version. So you're good.

Thanks. Gives me a head start.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Edited by Hitsville

Hitsville

Well if that's to me?

I already have a Shield and an ATV 4K but I just find the Shield play back less impressive with HDR compared to the Apple device, the LG TV and the HTPC.

It was the same with Plex.

Plus I'm not a fan of the UI on the Shield devices...as again was the case with Plex.

Bottom line is I always have MrMC to fall back on, on the ATV 4K or Shield.

CBers

Well if that's to me?

I already have a Shield and an ATV 4K but I just find the Shield play back less impressive with HDR compared to the Apple device, the LG TV and the HTPC.

It was the same with Plex.

Plus I'm not a fan of the UI on the Shield devices...as again was the case with Plex.

Bottom line is I always have MrMC to fall back on, on the ATV 4K or Shield.

It was, yes :)

I don't have any issues with my 4K content played via the Shield to my LG OLED TV.

• Like 1

arthurd123

mpv doesn't pass HDR metadata. It uses tone mapping algorithms. But you still need the bandwidth for 4k content (HDMI 2.0 or above). That GPU isn't going to be able to handle HEVC decoding. If you get a GTX 1050, you should be fine.

Thanks Doofus,

I have read 100's of forums and there is no definitive answer anywhere, the Windows HTPC 4K/HDR compatibility is very vague still. 

arthurd123

I've just ditched my shield and switched back to my mibox. The shield has big problems with HDR.

:o Don't say that I just bought one!

Guest asrequested

:o Don't say that I just bought one!

You might be one of the lucky people and not have a problem, but a number of people have reported problems with HDR playback. There's definitely a decoding problem, though. This is why I will always use an HTPC fro my home theater. I can always make that work, especially now that mpv is being used. I'm pretty much done with the shield.

Edited by Doofus

CBers

I've just ditched my shield and switched back to my mibox. The shield has big problems with HDR.

I'll have to go to SpecSavers then :D

Guest asrequested

I'll have to go to SpecSavers then :D

Lol....not everyone is having an issue, but enough. I definitely am. I have a few movies that are just disc remuxes and the shield isn't producing a picture, just a few scrambled pixel blocks.

Edited by Doofus

CBers

Lol....not everyone is having an issue, but enough. I definitely am. I have a few movies that are just disc remuxes and the shield isn't producing a picture, just a few scrambled pixel blocks.

Have you tried re-ripping/converting it again?

Guest asrequested

Have you tried re-ripping/converting it again?

Ha! Do you know what it takes to transcode a 4k HDR movie? About 3 days :D Besides, it's only Nvidia that has this problem. Everything else plays them without issue. It's only CUDA that can't. Remuxing does nothing.

Plus there are other things about the shield that annoy me. The remote is a POS. And I don't like how it renders the coloring on my other videos. I hadn't realized that until I started using the MiBox, again.

CBers

Ha! Do you know what it takes to transcode a 4k HDR movie? About 3 days :D Besides, it's only Nvidia that has this problem. Everything else plays them without issue. It's only CUDA that can't. Remuxing does nothing.

Plus there are other things about the shield that annoy me. The remote is a POS. And I don't like how it renders the coloring on my other videos. I hadn't realized that until I started using the MiBox, again.

I know we're going round in circles, but it only seems to be yourself having these issues with the Emby app on the Shield.

I don't understand where the CUDA comes in, as I don't believe it's used on the Shield, but I'm probably wrong  :rolleyes:

Guest asrequested

I know we're going round in circles, but it only seems to be yourself having these issues with the Emby app on the Shield.

I don't understand where the CUDA comes in, as I don't believe it's used on the Shield, but I'm probably wrong :rolleyes:

Exolplayer uses the native hardware acceleration of the device it's running on. On the shield it's CUDA. Also I can reproduce the same problem on my GTX 1050 using CUDA but not with all the other decoders. I also gave Nvidia a copy of the video, and they also reproduced the issue.

And I'm not the only one that has had this issue. Several people have also reported on here.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60890-problem-with-hdr-with-a-4k-uhd-movie-emby-vs-plex/page-1

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Hitsville

Whoah I seem to have opened a can of worms here. Sorry!!

Personally I haven't really had performance issues with HDR on the Shield. I just found the picture less impressive compared to the other devices. To be fair that was with Plex and I haven't got round to trying Emby on the Shield. It's on my to do list this weekend. 

Thanks for all the help, tips and discussion though. For now I'm probably leaning towards Emby Theatre on the HTPC. I do have a slight display issue but will take that to the relevant part of the forum. I feel like I hijacked @@arthurd123 topic, so apologies to you. 

fantaxp7

You know what's funny, I am in a temporary living scenario and I am now running my Shield on wifi. In my old condo it was wired and I always had terrible problems with skips and HDR content was unplayable. 

However now for whatever the reason it works on wifi. 

Strange huh?

• Like 1

Jdiesel

You know what's funny, I am in a temporary living scenario and I am now running my Shield on wifi. In my old condo it was wired and I always had terrible problems with skips and HDR content was unplayable.

However now for whatever the reason it works on wifi.

Strange huh?

It has been reported a few times. I guess Nvidia has yet to release a fix for it. Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

Wilky13

FWIW, I run Emby Server and ET on my HTPC (still kicking i3-2100). I have Apple TV 4Ks in my other 3 rooms and have no issues with Emby on any of them.

However, 90% of my content (movies and TV) are mp4 (track 1: H264 video, track 2: DTS [marked as default if present], track 3: AC3 5.1 [marked as default if no DTS track], track 4: AAC 2-ch [marked as default if no DTS or AC3-5.1], track 5: subtitles [if present], track 6: subtitles [if present]).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Whoah I seem to have opened a can of worms here. Sorry!!

Personally I haven't really had performance issues with HDR on the Shield. I just found the picture less impressive compared to the other devices. To be fair that was with Plex and I haven't got round to trying Emby on the Shield. It's on my to do list this weekend.

Thanks for all the help, tips and discussion though. For now I'm probably leaning towards Emby Theatre on the HTPC. I do have a slight display issue but will take that to the relevant part of the forum. I feel like I hijacked @@arthurd123 topic, so apologies to you.

Your picture issues might be that the HDR isn't being applied. Is the color kinda bland?

Hitsville

No HDR is there. I have seen how it looks washed out when the metadata isn't being passed.

It's more in general use regardless if HDR, at the bottom border I see a thin line that looks suspiciously like the very top of the desktop toolbar... Also occasionally on the right edge. I suspect I may just need to fine tune my desktop scaling possibly?

I saw a post regarding it whilst browsing the forums at work. Sadly now I can't find it.

I will create a thread and do some screenshots on my days off at the end of the week, if I still can't find the existing topic.

CBers

I will create a thread and do some screenshots on my days off at the end of the week, if I still can't find the existing topic.

Taking native screenshots on the Shield was removed in the OREO update.

Hopefully it'll get added back in the future, as I used it a lot on these forums.

• Like 1

Hitsville
Oh awesome. Will have a look on my days off.

Man coming from the Plex forums I'm so not used to all the friendly help and advice.

Thanks again guys. [emoji846]

• Like 3