Nvidia Shield TV or Apple 4K TV

arthurd123

WilhelmStroker

Taking native screenshots on the Shield was removed in the OREO update.

Hopefully it'll get added back in the future, as I used it a lot on these forums.

It's been added again in the current beta, so hopefully that rolls out to everyone soon.

• Like 1

Hitsville

I have just one more thought on the Shield. 

After the backflip of my earlier comment with the playback of HDR, I actually did that from an "on deck" HDR movie. 

Since then I just discovered (or at least it seems) I have to navigate libraries horizontally...Arghh!!

I dont imagine for a minute that I will be navigating my 2000+ 1080p Remuxes that way. 

Time to spend a few days optimizing my HTPC thanks to the awesome tips that @ has already provided. 

Edited by Hitsville

Guest asrequested

I have just one more thought on the Shield.

After the backflip of my earlier comment with the playback of HDR, I actually did that from an "on deck" HDR movie.

Since then I just discovered (or at least it seems) I have to navigate libraries horizontally...Arghh!!

I dont imagine for a minute that I will be navigating my 2000+ 1080p Remuxes that way.

Time to spend a few days optimizing my HTPC thatnks to the awesome tips that @ has already provided.

Welcome back! :D Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

arthurd123

Got my Panasonic 4K HDR set  :)

Have not plugged the Sheild in yet will do that later but I wont have much time to play with it... Tried to play HDR content from the Amazon TV App and none of them showed in 4K, when I paused it said 1080P in the left bottom corner of the screen.I have serached for 4K HDR and chose one of those I think Superman vs Batman was the first choice. YouTube HDR stuff looked amazing!

CBers

What would you rather do ??

Have you explored all of the viewing/filtering options ??

Hitsville

What would you rather do ??

Have you explored all of the viewing/filtering options ??

Yeah filters are fine. But I'm just a massive fan of vertical scrollling. (Or at least the option.)

I'm still just as impressed with playback. I definitely got that one wrong.[emoji3]

Just sometimes I have no idea what type of movie I feel like watching so genre doesn't really do it for me.

A vast selection of my movies are things that people I share with have asked for. So not necessarily movies I know anything/much about. Not necessarily my taste but equally norlt anything I wouldn't rule out viewing.

I admit I haven't tried every Emby client but I have four already and on all the others vertical scrolling is the norm. I guess it's just something I have got used to as was the case previously in Plex.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CBers

Yeah filters are fine. But I'm just a massive fan of vertical scrollling. (Or at least the option.)

A vertical display has been requested many times, but it hasn't materialised as yet.

One day @@ebr will add it ;)

• Like 1

arthurd123

Infinty War plays great through the Shield on the Emby App - HDR working great as well....

Edited by arthurd123
  • Like 2

Hitsville

A vertical display has been requested many times, but it hasn't materialised as yet.

One day @@ebr will add it ;)

Yeah it's all good.

In fact everything is pretty good in Embyland.

Far better than it was in Plexville[emoji3]

Emby has a pretty much consistent UI across devices... but still with the option of themes.

Plex recently have started to aim for a consistent UI... only that UI is truly bad.

I won't even get started on comparing mobile sync. [emoji57]

A friend of mine created a script a while back for setting up Plex, Google Drive with rclone, Radarr, Sonarr etc, on a dedicated server or VPS. Even they have abandoned Plex for Emby now.

• Like 1

Hitsville

I have Plex installed pointed at the same content as Emby, but only as comparison usage between the two.

Funny you mention that. The friend I talk about says she still has Plex installed though not used for viewing.

Because we both download in an automated way and in my case at least, I upgrade qualities for some Shows and Movies, Plex is pretty good at identifying duplicated files in a very quick way.

Anyway personally I'm all fully up and running on my remote dedi. I have just started scanning stuff in on my local system.

Then I gotta crack on with the HTPC optimization... Plus the Atmos reciever tomorrow... It's gonna be a busy few days. [emoji3]

• Like 1

Wilky13

One other question from me.

Do any one you guys using Emby Thatre have a harmony?

I'm just wondering if a WMC profile is the best way to go?

Yes. Harmony Elite. Controls my HTPC that I run WMC7 and ET on. As well as an AppleTV 4K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CBers

Plus the Atmos reciever tomorrow... It's gonna be a busy few days. [emoji3]

Which one are you getting?

Hitsville

Which one are you getting?

Well I have always done Yamaha, however I'm looking at a Denon.

I'm actually in town at the moment heading to pick it up. Will let you know the model number when I get it.

arthurd123

Right first issues, when I start playing a 4K HDR movie everything is fine then the picture pauses as if it was buffering then starts again it happens more often as the movie progresses, eventually you can't watch in anymore... not sure what the issue is here....but frustrating!

Edited by arthurd123

Guest asrequested

Right first issues, when I start playing a 4K HDR movie everything is fine then the picture pauses as if it was buffering then starts again it happens more often as the movie progresses, eventually you can't watch in anymore... not sure what the issue is here....but frustrating!

If your shield is hardwired, unplug it and switch to wireless. There's a know issue with that on the shield.

• Like 1

arthurd123

If your shield is hardwired, unplug it and switch to wireless. There's a know issue with that on the shield.

Thanks Doofus, will give that a go 

Hitsville

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help and advice guys especially @@CBers & @.

Im all set up now with Emby on my HTPC and Shield. I have everything connected to my Denon receiver and have my Harmony touch and hub all programmed in.

@@CBers I raised the point about the lack of vertical scrolling on the Shield here...along with the only negative I have so far come across since switching to Emby.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/895-promoting-emby/page-16

Those points aside this s*** just works, which coming from Plex is a massive plus. 

All I have left to do is finish setting up my local server (the remote server is complete). I only have two smallish libraries scanned in at the moment and I thought I would try out the beta. But for now I think I will do a fresh install and stick to the latest stable. 

Thanks again guys.  :)

Edited by Hitsville
  • Like 2

Hitsville

Just to update. I clearly didn't have to worry about the HTPC losing focus. As soon as I switch inputs with my harmony ET is always there.

@. Just going back to the issue with the top (and sometimes right) edge of the desktop showing in ET.

The fix you linked worked for a while but now it's back. Am I supposed to turn off updating or something? I haven't actually checked but I just wondered if after I roll back whether it's updating to the newer version and that's why the issue comes back? Any thoughts?

@. Just going back to the issue with the top (and sometimes right) edge of the desktop showing in ET.

The fix you linked worked for a while but now it's back. Am I supposed to turn off updating or something? I haven't actually checked but I just wondered if after I roll back whether it's updating to the newer version and that's why the issue comes back? Any thoughts?

Aren't HTPCs great?!   :D

• Like 1