meatrack

Using a Fire TV stick - live tv (using serverWMC) noticeably lags when using the Direct Play option. Should it be able to play smoothly? It plays fine transcoded.

Regular movie files also play fine with the VLC option enabled.

I'm just not sure if the stick, being somewhat less powerful should be capable of direct playing live tv.

Thanks for the help,
CFC

AmericanCrisis

Using a Fire TV stick - live tv (using serverWMC) noticeably lags when using the Direct Play option. Should it be able to play smoothly? It plays fine transcoded.

Regular movie files also play fine with the VLC option enabled.

I'm just not sure if the stick, being somewhat less powerful should be capable of direct playing live tv.

Thanks for the help,

CFC

I cannot direct stream much on my Fire Stick. I'm sure if I re-encoded to H264 with an AAC track it would direct stream but with full blue ray rips in MKV containers with a DTS-HD or TrueHD audio track it won't direct stream (it just freezes). I have to disable VLC player and force the transcode. 

I'm thinking your Live TV is being delivered as MPEG-2? If so, this is a pretty inefficient codec and I'm thinking the Fire Stick might have a problem with direct streaming it. The server is probably transcoding it to H264 with an AAC track and that is why it works great transcoded. 

My next purchase will probably be the new Fire TV... That way I can direct stream and use an ethernet connection... thus eliminating all variables preventing me from direct streaming. 

• Like 1

tjlmbklr

Hi guys, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I just installed the Emby app about a week ago on my FireTV.  It's so much easier then side-loading Kodi then running Emby add-on.  But it expires in 3 days.  I tried to pay the $4.80 for the app and it keeps bouncing back saying I need to setup a payment fund (at work, can't recall the error). I have ordered apps on the FireTv before, but never pay apps.  I have a payment option on Amazon like it suggests checking.  Is this a bug? 

Thanks, I hope you can help me, great community and great programming!

Hi guys, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I just installed the Emby app about a week ago on my FireTV.  It's so much easier then side-loading Kodi then running Emby add-on.  But it expires in 3 days.  I tried to pay the $4.80 for the app and it keeps bouncing back saying I need to setup a payment fund (at work, can't recall the error). I have ordered apps on the FireTv before, but never pay apps.  I have a payment option on Amazon like it suggests checking.  Is this a bug? 

Thanks, I hope you can help me, great community and great programming!

This would be related to your Amazon account.  I believe, in order to get paid apps on Fire devices, you must turn on "One click ordering" in your account.

tjlmbklr

This would be related to your Amazon account.  I believe, in order to get paid apps on Fire devices, you must turn on "One click ordering" in your account.

This was probably the reason.  I will try it again when I get home.

Thanks, I was almost about to contact Amazon.  

I cannot direct stream much on my Fire Stick. I'm sure if I re-encoded to H264 with an AAC track it would direct stream but with full blue ray rips in MKV containers with a DTS-HD or TrueHD audio track it won't direct stream (it just freezes). I have to disable VLC player and force the transcode. 

I'm thinking your Live TV is being delivered as MPEG-2? If so, this is a pretty inefficient codec and I'm thinking the Fire Stick might have a problem with direct streaming it. The server is probably transcoding it to H264 with an AAC track and that is why it works great transcoded. 

My next purchase will probably be the new Fire TV... That way I can direct stream and use an ethernet connection... thus eliminating all variables preventing me from direct streaming. 

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Doesn't seem like the stuttering is related to my particular server configuration, just a fire tv stick horsepower thing.

CFC

• Like 1

Hi,

The more I read the more confused I get, so I'm hoping someone can please help. Dts-HD AUDIO:

1) Can the AFTV2 pass through dts-hd to my amp via the Emby app?

2) Can the AFTV2 pass through dts-hd to my amp via the KODI app?

3) If neither, will converting my dts-hd to Flac give me pretty much the same quality audio?

I either see responses like No, or it will only pass the core audio, but it would really help to have a definitive answer.

Thanks

M

Deathsquirrel

Hi,

The more I read the more confused I get, so I'm hoping someone can please help. Dts-HD AUDIO:

1) Can the AFTV2 pass through dts-hd to my amp via the Emby app?

2) Can the AFTV2 pass through dts-hd to my amp via the KODI app?

3) If neither, will converting my dts-hd to Flac give me pretty much the same quality audio?

I either see responses like No, or it will only pass the core audio, but it would really help to have a definitive answer.

Thanks

M

1) No, it will convert to multi-channel AAC.

2) Don't think so, though I think it can decode and send the full stream as PCM.

3) Dunno if that's supported either on this hardware, haven't tried.  If it is, sure it should be the full audio stream.

Thanks - looking at the Amzaon Developer site it suggests Flac is only 2 channel. So I might consider converting to PCM, or perhaps just letting Kodi do the work using the Emby addon.

rcarteraz

Nice app! You can tell a lot of hard work was put into it. Thanks for the dedication to the platform. Personally I'm not a fan of the Fire TV menu like setup as I do not like the menu in the first place. I'd be interested in an Emby Theater like app. For now though I'll use the emby for kodi addon.  

Thanks.  The thinking is that, if you are using a Fire TV, that is the interface you are familiar with as opposed to something completely foreign.

I'll beat Red to it and tell you to check out his new client (tiamat) :).

• Like 2

rcarteraz

Thanks.  The thinking is that, if you are using a Fire TV, that is the interface you are familiar with as opposed to something completely foreign.

I'll beat Red to it and tell you to check out his new client (tiamat) :).

Yeah, that's perfectly understandable. I'm sure the majority of people they'll agree. I only recently switched to the FireTV and as much as I love it I just can't stand the UI. It's personal preference and obviously you can't build an app around each persons preference.

I'll be sure to take a look at tiamat. Thanks!

How can I reset the connection information on the app?

I had a temporary test server I was using, which is no longer available, but still shows up on the list.

Thanks,
CFC

For now, you would need to use the "Clear Data" in the Fire TV app settings.

I'm working on getting a way for you to remove dead servers from the interface.

• Like 1

For now, you would need to use the "Clear Data" in the Fire TV app settings.

I'm working on getting a way for you to remove dead servers from the interface.

Thanks. I must have missed it. Thought for sure I looked for that.

CFC

Thanks. I must have missed it. Thought for sure I looked for that.

CFC

You have to go to the overall settings on the Fire TV, not the Emby app...

You have to go to the overall settings on the Fire TV, not the Emby app

Ah, so "Clear Data" will also clear information on all my other apps?

Hmm... if that's so I might just hold off.

Edit: Ok. Looks like I should be able to do it per app like this: http://firetvblog.com/2015/01/uninstall-clear-data-cache-fire-tv/

I wasn't going to the "Manage all installed Application", I was using the small boxes that shows up under the app.

CFC

Edited by CFC

• 2 weeks later...
JDizzy

The only thing keeping me from using Emby 100% is there is no audio passthrough on the FireTV.

Somehow, Plex has figured out how to pass DD 5.1 through and converts DTS to DD 5.1 which is acceptable (for me..... at least, I get surround sound).... Problem with Plex is though, they have not figured out how to keep the FireTV from going to sleep while listening to music and I like the Emby Plugins and database more.

Kodi (using Emby for Kodi) will passthough almost anything your equipment will handle and stays awake during music playback.

For the moment, this is the route I taken.

Seems each program could learn solutions from the others.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What are you trying to accomplish?

The Fire TV and Roku are two different devices that do the same thing (kinda like two TVs).  They cannot be connected together in any way.

Kramerika

I am a part of the beta on the Amazon Fire TV, and I hadn't used it recently.  Emby was direct playing live TV the last time that I used it.  Now it is transcoding it.  Why?  I am streaming the OTA signal from HD Homerun boxes.  Is there an Emby or Fire TV setting that changed that I need to reset to get it back?  I have it set to direct play live TV in the settings. I am on 1.1.74a.  I am on a wired GB connection as well and set the max streaming bitrate to 40 MB/s.

You still have VLC enabled?

I am still direct streaming OTA signals from HDHR on my Fire TV...

thefranklin

All of the sudden my FireTV can only play sound and not video.  It worked two nights ago, but not last night.  Emby only, Plex and Amazon video worked fine. 

If I turn off the VLC checkbox in settings (which you have to hit "back" like 10x to get to btw) it works but looks like it is compressed into letterbox format and has black bars on the sides.  No amount of restarting my firetv box or Emby server fixed this.  Anyone else get this?

When the problem is occurring can you confirm that it is using VLC (OSD says "Direct/V")?

How many items have you tried?  Have you tried different types of items?  What is the media info from the web client for one that is having the problem?