Public and private playlists

harrv

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2023 at 4:52 PM, heciruam said:

Will these new playlists be also visible in Collections?

What do you mean exactly?

heciruam

Sorry I phrased that wrong.

Will it be possible to add playlists to collections? So not the items in the playlist but the playlist itself?

3 hours ago, heciruam said:

Sorry I phrased that wrong.

Will it be possible to add playlists to collections? So not the items in the playlist but the playlist itself?

You already can.

• 3 weeks later...
JohnnyThe5th

My brother just created a playlist for the first time and now everyone sees it. I was quite confused but lucky this is the first that it came up for us. Do we expect this new playlist management feature to be rolled out with 4.8 stable? 🙏

HouseOfCards

From what I've read, the feature and management of who can see the newly created playlists will be available in the 4.8 release.  If I recall correctly, you will only be able to set the permission on new playlists you create with the new 4.8 server, so if you create one on 4.7, you won't be able to edit the permission for it on 4.8. 

• 5 weeks later...
MDMEDIA

Has something changed here?.....when I first moved to 4.8 I could could create a playlist and then configure it to be private or public. I'm running 4.8.1and I now no longer seem to have the option to do this, I can create new and name it, that's all.

My head is spinning as I can't understand why!

1 hour ago, MDMEDIA said:

Has something changed here?.....when I first moved to 4.8 I could could create a playlist and then configure it to be private or public. I'm running 4.8.1and I now no longer seem to have the option to do this, I can create new and name it, that's all.

My head is spinning as I can't understand why!

Hi, make sure your user is granted permission to share personal content.

MDMEDIA
33 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, make sure your user is granted permission to share personal content.

Hi Luke, thanks for your reply. I am the server administrator and I have all permissions. I've just double checked and still cannot seem to be able to configure playlists between public and private. I've not changed anything other than version from 4.8 stable to 4.8.1.0

Should the option to edit the playlist be in the context menu or somewhere else? When I've create a new playlist, it asks me to name it and then nothing after. 

11 minutes ago, MDMEDIA said:

Hi Luke, thanks for your reply. I am the server administrator and I have all permissions. I've just double checked and still cannot seem to be able to configure playlists between public and private. I've not changed anything other than version from 4.8 stable to 4.8.1.0

Should the option to edit the playlist be in the context menu or somewhere else? When I've create a new playlist, it asks me to name it and then nothing after. 

Did you locate the permission for sharing personal content?

Hi @MDMEDIA

image.png

This is from the Profile tab when editing a user at the bottom of the page. You need to make sure the high lighted option above is enabled.
This goes for every user you want to be able to share content.

Even a user with server management rights (admin),  needs to have this enabled.

Hope this helps,
Carlo

rigo8582

Are playlists private by default private? Is there an option to make a user's playlists automatically public when its created?

Happy2Play
21 minutes ago, rigo8582 said:

Are playlists private by default private? Is there an option to make a user's playlists automatically public when its created?

Yes the creator controls the playlist.

Now the setting is twofold.

Admin-app settings-Users-the user

image.png.89e6f7c9fa6020280225b8834281230f.png

and once created the Collaboration option on the playlist item menu

image.png.13fe3a15084dffa71ef3327d5886883b.png

image.png.88e2db54ec54befca3805da813792dd4.png

rigo8582
48 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes the creator controls the playlist.

Now the setting is twofold.

Admin-app settings-Users-the user

image.png.89e6f7c9fa6020280225b8834281230f.png

and once created the Collaboration option on the playlist item menu

image.png.13fe3a15084dffa71ef3327d5886883b.png

image.png.88e2db54ec54befca3805da813792dd4.png

Yes I understand all that and have all that enabled.

So there isn't a way to make it be collaborative by default when its created? Meaning not having to do that every time a playlist is created if user prefers.

Happy2Play
22 minutes ago, rigo8582 said:

Yes I understand all that and have all that enabled.

So there isn't a way to make it be collaborative by default when its created? Meaning not having to do that every time a playlist is created if user prefers.

No there is no default to make everything public.  So all playlists are private per user, requiring Collaboration setting.

Not saying devs can't add options later but currently they are default private.

• Sad 1

Armageus

6 years late and then ends up being overly complicated and still not delivering everything everyone wanted 🤣

4 minutes ago, Armageus said:

6 years late and then ends up being overly complicated and still not delivering everything everyone wanted 🤣

Hi, what do you find complicated about it?

Armageus
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what do you find complicated about it?

In fairness I've not even upgraded to 4.8.x.x yet, I'll wait for another couple of releases for all the regressions to be sorted out.

(I also got so bored of waiting for public playlists that it's no longer the pressing issue for me that it once was).

As to what is complicated - not necessarily complicated, but needlessly clunky. First you have to tick a box to allow sharing? And then there's a whole manage collaboration page, when a simple public/private would have done for most use cases (personally can't see a use case where you would share a playlist with just 1 person)

5 hours ago, Armageus said:

First you have to tick a box to allow sharing?

Hi.  This is necessary in this day and age for privacy reasons.

And then there's a whole manage collaboration page, when a simple public/private would have done for most use cases

So, we have too much functionality?

personally can't see a use case where you would share a playlist with just 1 person

This was very highly requested during beta.  The use case is probably more that there are a few users you may not want to share with.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Armageus said:

In fairness I've not even upgraded to 4.8.x.x yet, I'll wait for another couple of releases for all the regressions to be sorted out.

(I also got so bored of waiting for public playlists that it's no longer the pressing issue for me that it once was).

As to what is complicated - not necessarily complicated, but needlessly clunky. First you have to tick a box to allow sharing? And then there's a whole manage collaboration page, when a simple public/private would have done for most use cases (personally can't see a use case where you would share a playlist with just 1 person)

Hi, there is simple public and private. You don’t have to do anything beyond that if you don’t want to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
rigo8582

Could you consider making an option to where someone make a specific user makes a playlist its automatically collaborative? Having to do that with every playlist is tedious. Or even the ability to select multiple playlists to have the option to make them collaborative.

Edited by rigo8582
  • Agree 1