Shield ATV HDR

mamoel

TylerV76

Looks like its been about a month since anyone gave @@ebr any information on this. Is there anything else that can be done while we wait for a resolution? Ive tried external players and quite frankly they all suck. Ive currently got Plex reinstalled strictly for HDR content but I cannot stand having their software on my machine. 

Coxeroni

I guess I already know the answer, but still: where are you getting these cropped videos from anyway? Maybe you should pick other sources that properly scale the content.

vdatanet

These are quite common formats found on Internet, UHDrip, microUHD... I always try to get UHD remux formats that never are cropped, but they are bigger and sometimes they are not available.

Edited by vdatanet

TylerV76

I guess I already know the answer, but still: where are you getting these cropped videos from anyway? Maybe you should pick other sources that properly scale the content.

My current UHD files came from the store (I only have 4 titles) when I bought my new home theater setup last week. I don't use a traditional player as I would rather have them available everywhere I go in Emby so I had a friend rip them for me. I had 2 choices, 20-30gb files or 70-90gb files. I chose 30 and under as I'm not trying to buy 6 more drives to store them.

CBers

I had a friend rip them for me. I had 2 choices, 20-30gb files or 70-90gb files.

So when he ripped them, he cropped them too?

Get him to re-rip without cropping.

If you want HDR, you have to live with the consequences :)

TylerV76

So when he ripped them, he cropped them too?

Get him to re-rip without cropping.

If you want HDR, you have to live with the consequences :)

I honestly have no clue lol. I said "here's 4 movies, can you put em on a drive for me?" 

I'll ask him to redo them without cropping them. 

Edited by TylerV76

CBers

I honestly have no clue lol. I said "here's 4 movies, can you put em on a drive for me?"

I'll ask him to redo them without cropping them.

It might be worth finding out how he ripped them and with which settings.

TylerV76

It might be worth finding out how he ripped them and with which settings.

I know its dvdfab and Im assuming he cropped them to remove black bars? But the movie still shows black bars in Emby and Plex so I don't really understand the point.

Im just going to get full copies of them for now so I can watch them without needing Plex. I'll have to make some decisions going forward as I really don't want to have Plex installed anywhere and the external players have their own limitations. 

Hopefully this can get resolved. 

vdatanet

The fact is that cropped movies exist and can not be played with HDR passthrough, no matter where they come from. Avoiding these movies is not a solution.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I know its dvdfab and Im assuming he cropped them to remove black bars? But the movie still shows black bars in Emby and Plex so I don't really understand the point.

The point is to save space and that's it.  Those black bars take up space.  I suppose if you wanted to you could stretch a cropped video to fill up the screen, but that will look silly.

Coxeroni

It is already stretched, isn't it? Because the cropped video is not the full resolution, I guess it will be stretched to the the screen, or how is that handled?

TylerV76

The point is to save space and that's it.  Those black bars take up space.  I suppose if you wanted to you could stretch a cropped video to fill up the screen, but that will look silly.

Gotcha. I don't know much about this stuff but that makes sense. I hand over a disc, he backs it up for me and I let him borrow my disk. <insert " "'s appropriately>

CBers

Im just going to get full copies of them for now so I can watch them without needing Plex. I'll have to make some decisions going forward as I really don't want to have Plex installed anywhere and the external players have their own limitations. 

Hopefully this can get resolved. 

Hear, Hear !!

• Like 1

FrostByte

It is already stretched, isn't it? Because the cropped video is not the full resolution, I guess it will be stretched to the the screen, or how is that handled?

It shouldn't be stretched because the width remains 3840 pixels wide and all you're doing is cropping off the black bars on the top and bottom.  Then when it gets displayed there are just no pixels in those areas to display.  With a remux your displaying black pixels in those areas

FrostByte

I suppose I could go into my settings with a cropped movie and tell it to "Fit Screen", then it will be stretched, but by default no.  Remux images are already made to fit right off the disc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
lukeholderness

Any update on a possible fix? I have an issue now where Emby on nvidia Shield won't play HDR and I also cannot use Plex as I also have the "server interrupted" error. I'd prefer to use Emby but this seems stuck!

TylerV76

I am surprised this doesn't have a higher priority. It's a pretty big problem, and increasing...

This is a pretty big one to me as well. This is one of the 2 issues that keeps me from using Emby 100% of the time, the other being the Live TV pausing. I don't think it will get fixed on Nvidia's end seeing as they haven't even replied to the thread they were requested to participate in.

I know EBR is trying to resolve this, as recent as 6 days ago, by making them fix it their player but maybe its time to look at Emby having its own forked player like Plex. 

• Like 2

vdatanet

I am surprised this doesn't have a higher priority. It's a pretty big problem, and increasing...

My first workaround was to obtain movies in UHD remux instead of microUHD (cropped and reencoded), but as I increase the number of movies, the increase in occupied space becomes unsustainable, for example a microUHD movie weighs about 15 Gb, instead a UHD Remux, weighs about 50 Gb, are 35 Gb difference, I have about 50 4k movies (not much), I need extra 1750 Gb to store them. For me microUHD quality is enough, but Emby Android TV App doesn’t play these movies well.  In addition, the Apple TV App does not play well either, even the new version.

Therefore, I believe that solving this problem should be a priority, both in Android TV and Apple TV. Otherwise, you may lose users in favor of Plex (or others :) ) 
Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

Therefore, I believe that solving this problem should be a priority, both in Android TV and Apple TV. Otherwise, you may lose users in favor of Plex.

Or in favor of Kodi...like me, 6 months ago.  :(

CBers

The fact that Plex and Kodi have solved the problem in their systems for their users, probably means Nvidia and Google aren't giving it the priority that it deserves.