Shield ATV HDR

mamoel

vdatanet

The display height and width on that sample have no values. Fill them both in, and try again. The whole frame needs to be filled, not just the height,

Yes, I've done that, but it not triggers. My system doesn't support DTS 7.1 Maybe this is the cause?

Guest asrequested

Yes, I've done that, but it not triggers. My system doesn't support DTS 7.1 Maybe this is the cause?

Is it remuxing? 

CBers

So all of your videos play HDR when stretched?

For samples that I could get to trigger HDR, the video was stretched.

vdatanet

Is it remuxing? 

Yes, so this is the cause. I loose HDR in the remux process. But Plex, doesn't remux the video, so using Plex I have HDR.

Guest asrequested

Yes, so this is the cause. I loose HDR in the remux process. But Plex, doesn't remux the video, so using Plex I have HDR.

If the video is being copied, it shouldn't affect it. Unless those values are being changed in the remux??? That isn't something I can work around. That's all ffmpeg. 

vdatanet

If the video is being copied, it shouldn't affect it. Unless those values are being changed in the remux??? That isn't something I can work around. That's all ffmpeg. 

According to the log file audio is converted from DTS to AC3. For me, this is not a remux, is transcoding. But Emby labels it as remux. I consider remux just copy to another container.

Guest asrequested

According to the log file audio is converted from DTS to AC3. For me, this is not a remux, is transcoding. But Emby labels it as remux. I consider remux just copy to another container.

But the video is copied, correct? And any change made, the file gets remuxed. 

vdatanet

But the video is copied, correct? And any change made, the file gets remuxed. 

Yes, video copied and audio transcoded. I thought remux refers to copying audio and video to another container, if any of the streams is changed, then we talk about transcoding. This is what has confused me, I have seen a remuxing log and I have thought that neither the video nor the audio stream were modified.

vdatanet

Another question could be, why does plex play directly the sample and instead emby needs remux? Maybe it's related to a modified version of the player they (Plex) use.

CBers

If you set up and external player, such as the Archos Media Player, then it will trigger HDR, untouched.

Well, it does here, but then my soundbar supports DTS etc.

You could convert the audio to DD, which should stop the remuxing.

• Like 2

vdatanet

If you set up and external player, such as the Archos Media Player, then it will trigger HDR, untouched.

Well, it does here, but then my soundbar supports DTS etc.

You could convert the audio to DD, which should stop the remuxing.

I have many movies with DTS 5.1 and they do not cause me problems, I think the problem is with the DTS 7.1 Your sample is the first one I have in 7.1. If I ever find any DTS 7.1 I already know what I have to do. Thank you!

• Like 1

CBers

And I asked for a sample.

@ - you saw the sample I posted earlier, didn't you?

If so, did you have any luck with it?

Guest asrequested

@ - you saw the sample I posted earlier, didn't you?

If so, did you have any luck with it?

Yeah, I posted that when stretched, it plays the the HDR, but obviously it doesn't if unmodified.

CBers

Yeah, I posted that when stretched, it plays the the HDR, but obviously it doesn't if unmodified.

So no workaround then?

vdatanet

So no workaround then?

Doofus from the first moment said that the film was stretched, I think his intention was to show that it was a problem of the size of the visualization and not of the encoding, his intention was not to give a workaround.

Guest asrequested

So no workaround then?

No. I suspect what is happening is the decoder just isn't adding padding, and ExoPlayer is relying on that. This is all Dev stuff. Beyond my skill set. There's probably some handle jiggling that could be done in the app, but I think ebr is preferring a more solid fix.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

solidus28

You guys are awesome.  I've been fighting this since early 2018 and could never figure out why some things didn't trigger HDR.  Hopefully Exoplayer gets updated to handle it.  I didn't initially read a few posts up and discovered for myself that the video can be VERY stretched if it was super wide to begin with :)  I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Edited by solidus28

Jdiesel

Anyone have an example file of a cropped video that won't trigger? I was thinking of trying to reencode while adding padding to see if it works.

I think this is the string I would use to adding padding to a 3840x1600 resolution cropped video

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -vf "pad=width=3840:height=2160:x=0:y=280:color=black" output.mkv 
Edited by Jdiesel

CBers

Anyone have an example file of a cropped video that won't trigger? I was thinking of trying to reencode while adding padding to see if it works.

I think this is the string I would use to adding padding to a 3840x1600 resolution cropped video

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -vf "pad=width=3840:height=2160:x=0:y=280:color=black" output.mkv 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60362-shield-atv-hdr/page-2&do=findComment&comment=647336

Guest asrequested

I have movies with padding, that work.

Guest asrequested

Android needs to think it's full frame, or the ability to use HDR passthrough is disabled. If you look at every 4k HDR remux/rip, every one of them is full frame. Some with padding, some without. That's all that the cropping is... removing the padding. So Android and Windows are both expecting full frame video. The decoders should have the ability to render padding where needed, during decoding. Given the issues that cuda has with parsing some HDR content (no idea if that's related), it's not surprising something like this might happen. Yay for tone mapping :D

Edited by Doofus