Shield ATV HDR

mamoel

vdatanet

CBers asked Nvidia if there was any update, 17 days ago, as you can imagine Nvidia has not answered yet. 

• Like 2

vdatanet

Now the issue is labeled as device specific issue (Nvidia Shield). The ball is in Nvdia's court.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Not sure that means they are actually working it, they never came back after being clueless the first time

• 2 weeks later...
vdatanet

Nvidia does not say anything, I find the lack of nvidia's answer disturbing  :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Jdiesel

Glad to see a potential fix for this. It took a while to sort out, mainly due to some communication issues, but it goes to show that the Shield TV is by far the best Android TV device out there due to the ongoing support going on 4 years now.

This was the one bug that was holding a lot of users back but if it is fixed should make it a no contest when recommending hardware to new Emby users. 

• Like 1

Jdiesel

I think it is inevitable based on how well the Nintendo Switch is doing. You know that Nvidia has some new SOCs in development that are either cheaper, more efficient/powerful, or both. There have been lots of rumors around a Nintendo Switch Lite and/or Pro version. Very likely that Nvidia will also release an updated Shield TV to take advantage of this.

Guest asrequested

Do you guys know if HDR tone mapping is planned for the Shield? I haven't tested that in a while. Is it already there? I've got a bunch of shows in HDR and I can't use the Sheild on an SDR tv unless it can tone map. Once the server starts tone mapping, this will be moot, of course. But I'd rather direct play and have the tone mapping be done by the device.

Jdiesel

Do you guys know if HDR tone mapping is planned for the Shield? I haven't tested that in a while. Is it already there? I've got a bunch of shows in HDR and I can't use the Sheild on an SDR tv unless it can tone map. Once the server starts tone mapping, this will be moot, of course. But I'd rather direct play and have the tone mapping be done by the device.

It has been acknowledged and been placed on the roadmap but it doesn't sound like it is high priority at this moment.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1035470/shield-tv/hdr-to-sdr/post/5281824/#5281824

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1035470/shield-tv/hdr-to-sdr/post/5973246/#5973246

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Thanks for that, I appreciate the links. I'll keep an eye out for progress. I guess I'll just keep using an HTPC.

Jdiesel

Also I can't remember where I read it but it sounds like one of the reasons this hasn't already been implemented when cheaper devices like the Mii box already have it is that unlike the AMlogic SOC that is included in the Mii box the Tegra SOC was never designed with a focus on Media playback, it was primary designed for a game console. The Amlogic SOC has hardware support for tonemapping whereas the Tegra SOC does not and requires it to be done on a via shaders with a software layer. This is my understanding at least.

Jdiesel

Also worth mentioning that Kodi has added support for reinhard tonemapping but only via software decoding. The CPU in the Shield TV is not powerful enough to decode and tonemap 4K HDR via software. So we are going to need to wait for a solution that utilizes the Shield TV's powerful GPU.

Edited by Jdiesel

Guest asrequested

Well, most of my HDR shows are 1080, but the movies are 4k. Doesn't sound like a viable option, anyway. It's alright though, all of this works perfectly with my HTPC. Thanks again, though. Maybe with the 2019 edition, they'll address it.

Edited by Doofus

• 2 months later...
Tester
SHIELD Experience Upgrade 8.0
  • Video/Display

• Fixed bug where cropped HDR content would not enable HDR playback in Emby

vdatanet

SHIELD Experience Upgrade 8.0
  • Video/Display
  •  
  • Fixed bug where cropped HDR content would not enable HDR playback in Emby

These are just words but the truth is that this issue is not fixed.

Tester

It seems to be working for me, all movies ( cropped and not cropped ) are not switching to HDR mode.

EDIT:  My apologies, still sleepy.  Yes I can confirm that it is indeed working

Edited by Tester
  • Like 1

CBers

It seems to be working for me, all movies ( cropped and not cropped ) are not switching to HDR mode.

Sorry, but that's a confusing statement  :huh:

• Like 1

vdatanet

Sorry, but that's a confusing statement  :huh:

Maybe where he says not should say now. Anyway, it is strange that HDR is enabled with cropped movies.

• Like 1

vdatanet

Nvidia confirms that fix is good, but they don't know why things are still not working in Emby.

5d455fb72f635_Anotacin20190803121849.jpg

• Like 1

Tester

Hey vader, then what am I seeing on my set up?  Cropped movies are clearly tripping HDR, not only can I see the brightness change but can pull the info and see that it is in HDR10 mode.

Am I confusing two different modes ?