Shield ATV HDR

mamoel

vdatanet

Not sure if it's in this thread or elsewhere on the forums, but I have suggested a few times that if we were able to add a TAG to cropped content, then the ATV would see that and open it in an external player, as I believe there are a few media player apps that can trigger HDR on cropped videos.

Yes, I have read your proposal, it could be fine as a temporary solution, but I have not seen any answer, it may be difficult to apply, I do not know.

CBers

I think there was a tradeoff there. Im not sure anyone ever found an external player that did both HDR and surround sound, specifically Atmos and DTS-X. I tried with Archos and even with the additional codecs installed, I could only get one or the other. MX, VLC etc had the same issues.

If I play a HDR movie via MX PLAYER outside if Emby, I get both HDR triggered and Atmos passed to my soundbar.

FF/RW doesn't work for some reason though.

Yes, I have read your proposal, it could be fine as a temporary solution, but I have not seen any answer, it may be difficult to apply, I do not know.

You're correct, no feedback at all, either positive or negative.

TylerV76

If I play a HDR movie via MX PLAYER outside if Emby, I get both HDR triggered and Atmos passed to my soundbar.

FF/RW doesn't work for some reason though.

I think I found the same thing. Opening it MX worked but forwarding it from Emby didn't for some reason. I never checked the FF or RW. 

vdatanet

I’d guesstimate that people with 4K HDR TVs make up less than 5% of the total Emby user base.

I don't agree. Currently, more 4K TVs with HDR than HD TVs are sold. In addition, the available 4K media is growing exponentially, and the vast majority in HDR. Ignoring this would be a mistake.

Guest asrequested

Does everyone realize that padding is added only for disc media? It isn't present when the video is originally made. Who the hell buys discs anymore? I mean they're great for putting my beer on... If you buy any digital download, there's no padding. It's in its original format. So what's the advice here? Don't buy them because shield has a problem with them? Absurd! I've got a bunch of legitimate digital downloads with HDR and they don't have padding. They were never cropped. I've got whole seasons of shows in 1080 with HDR that aren't full frame. This has nothing to do with crappy discs and 4k.

• Like 2

Spaceboy

I don't agree. Currently, more 4K TVs with HDR than HD TVs are sold. In addition, the available 4K media is growing exponentially, and the vast majority in HDR. Ignoring this would be a mistake.

well in relation to this forum this is demonstrably untrue. The fact is there are less than 10 people in this thread complaining about this.

The fact that hdr use is increasing is obvious and doesn’t need stating. It hasn’t yet got to a critical mass though

Guest asrequested

You know, it just occurred to me that I actually haven't tried playing my 1080 HDR stuff on the shield. They aren't full frame. I'm really curious, now. I'll have to remember to try that, later.

FrostByte

You know, it just occurred to me that I actually haven't tried playing my 1080 HDR stuff on the shield. They aren't full frame. I'm really curious, now. I'll have to remember to try that, later.

I believe @@CBers said he tried.  Full 1080P HDR triggers HDR on the Shield, cropped 1080P doesn't

Guest asrequested

I believe @@CBers said he tried. Full 1080P HDR triggers HDR on the Shield, cropped 1080P doesn't

That's what I would have expected. I just hadn't tested it, myself.

So I'm sorta new to HVEC etc..

What's the issue?

What's cropped 1080p?

Sorry late to the game but I'm adding more 4k HDR to my library all the time and it may be something I need to consider.

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

So I'm sorta new to HVEC etc..

What's the issue?

What's cropped 1080p?

Sorry late to the game but I'm adding more 4k HDR to my library all the time and it may be something I need to consider.

Thanks all!

It has nothing to do with HEVC. It's the aspect ratio. Wide screen TVs are 16:9. A lot of videos are wider than that. So for disc media, they padding at the top and bottom, to make it 16:9. 'cropping' is the removal of that padding.

It's very DVD 90s, and the limitations of that old technology, that no longer exist. I really wish they would just burn all of that old crap, and move on. Most discs even have the digital version of the video. Discs are dinosaurs.

Edited by Doofus

It has nothing to do with HEVC. It's the aspect ratio. Wide screen TVs are 16:9. A lot of videos are wider than that. So for disc media, they padding at the top and bottom, to make it 16:9. 'cropping' is the removal of that padding.

It's very DVD 90s, and the limitations of that old technology, that no longer exist. I really wish they would just burn all of that old crap, and move on. Most discs even have the digital version of the video. Discs are dinosaurs.

So if I have, for example, a 2.35:1 mkv I don't have to worry?

For 20 years now I've avoided anything not in the director's aspect ratio like the plague but you know 16:9 versions of 2.35:1 etc do sneak in there..

FrostByte

Or, look at the resolution in mediainfo.  If it's 3840*2160 for 4K or 1920*1080 then you're fine and the app will trigger HDR if the movies have HDR. 

If on the other hand your movies resolution width or height is anything less then those then it was most likely reencoded AND the black bars at the top/bottom or left/right were cropped.  For any movie where the width or height were cropped the ATV app will NOT trigger HDR on your TV

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 2

Now I see what the issue is. Cropped video to save space (?) will not trigger HDR. I don't have an HDR TV, still running my Plasma in the Family Room and some basic 4k's in the MasterBR and Bonus Room. Updating the Family Room TV is not until the Plasma quits as this will require an upgrade to the AVR too. Hopefully by then the issues will be resolved or ShieldTV 2 will be out..

As for file sizes. My cropped copy of Man of Steel is 22gb. The uncropped version is around 90gb. Suicide Squad is 16gb and the uncropped is almost 60gb. Its a drastic size difference. And yes storage is cheap but not when its not necessary and that doesn't even begin to address streaming a 90gb file remotely when I'm on vacation. 

You have far more going on then just cropping in those files for those kinds of size differences!

With compression of H.265 the solid black bars add little to the overall size when encoded the same (with and without bars).

TylerV76

You have far more going on then just cropping in those files for those kinds of size differences!

With compression of H.265 the solid black bars add little to the overall size when encoded the same (with and without bars).

Oh for sure. They are compressed on top of the removal of the bars. My next step is going to be having them compressed without removing the bars. 

jonboyuk

I'm guessing I'm having the same issue. HDR is a no go with my media too (cropped). For now, I tend to just use the Samsung Emby app built into the TV which displays everything correctly. Ideally I'd use the Shield for everything though as the Shield app is significantly nicer!

As a side note, on my Samsung TV under the bandwidth setting, it is set to Direct Play. On my Shield however, there is no Direct Play option. Is that the same for everyone else?

Edited by jonboyuk

vdatanet

well in relation to this forum this is demonstrably untrue. The fact is there are less than 10 people in this thread complaining about this.

I do not agree, every time there are more users complaining about this problem, in different posts, many more than ten.

Jdiesel

It is a pretty significant bug imo that needs to be resolved. Unfortunately avoiding cropped content is not an acceptable fix.

Is there a way to confirm if it is exo itself or the way Emby implemented it? Is there a standalone exo app that supports HDR that one can use to test against? The only reason I say this is that Emby has a lot more going on (refresh/resolution switch, overlays, surfaces, etc) that could be causing the issue.

It is a pretty significant bug imo that needs to be resolved. Unfortunately avoiding cropped content is not an acceptable fix.

Is there a way to confirm if it is exo itself or the way Emby implemented it? Is there a standalone exo app that supports HDR that one can use to test against? The only reason I say this is that Emby has a lot more going on (refresh/resolution switch, overlays, surfaces, etc) that could be causing the issue.

Google has confirmed that it is an issue and that it is restricted to the Shield platform.

I understand why you feel this is a major deal but, from the perspective of Google and even Nvidia, it is an extremely small use-case which is why we are having trouble getting their attention on it.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Google has confirmed that it is an issue and that it is restricted to the Shield platform.

I understand why you feel this is a major deal but, from the perspective of Google and even Nvidia, it is an extremely small use-case which is why we are having trouble getting their attention on it.

Is there anything we can do? Google is aware of the problem so maybe we can put some pressure on Nvidia on their forum.

vdatanet

The big companies do not listen to their users, I think that neither google nor nvidia will never solve the problem, and even more so there are two companies involved that can blame each other. This should be kept in mind. It is a bug easily reproducible and should not be necessary a horde of users in front of the offices of google or nvidia.