• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#161 dan-the-man OFFLINE  

dan-the-man

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 AM

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:19 PM

Please unzip this file, and replace main.js in your installation with this version and see if it resolves it. Thanks.

i tried it, did not resolve the issue

regards,

#162 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:02 AM

I can confirm that. Even with the newer components, I still get the gap.

#163 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Local time: 04:49 PM

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:38 PM

Did you try the hack?

https://emby.media/c...creen/?p=627747

Not yet. I bought an NVidia Shield and am trying it out. 

You realize that you have all the mpv options to make interpolation, more smooth? 

https://mpv.io/manua.../#options-scale

https://mpv.io/manua...#options-tscale

Fundamentally, I don't want to interpolate and make video more smooth. I want 24p to look like 24p: for movies to look like movies. Regardless, when I last tried the frame interpolation on my HTPC with Intel IGP, it didn't look good. Obvious hiccups or judder or whatever.

Which bug? Frame rate switching work just fine with either the original lua script or the one that is part of ET.

There is a problem with Electron/ET/Windows that may result in judder, even with the correct frame rate, but I posted several time how to work around it.

Frame rate matching causes the window to resize and reposition with Electron from the past 12 months or so. That's what this whole thread is about.

To work around, I've had to manually install and manually maintain an outdated version of Electron, sacrificing UI smoothness to prevent the frame-rate matching induced window resizing problem.

• daedalus likes this

#164 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:52 PM

Fundamentally, I don't want to interpolate and make video more smooth. I want 24p to look like 24p: for movies to look like movies. Regardless, when I last tried the frame interpolation on my HTPC with Intel IGP, it didn't look good. Obvious hiccups or judder or whatever.

I only mentioned it because you were asking about SVP, which is what that does. It's for smooth motion, and nothing to do with frame rate switching.

• ShoutingMan likes this

#165 stettler OFFLINE  

stettler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 PM

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:58 AM

Frame rate matching causes the window to resize and reposition with Electron from the past 12 months or so. That's what this whole thread is about.

To work around, I've had to manually install and manually maintain an outdated version of Electron, sacrificing UI smoothness to prevent the frame-rate matching induced window resizing problem.

This thread is about the small gap (wrong window size/position). That's not related to frame rate matching. It also happen without changing frame rate.

The workaround I am using is a custom lua script to minimize/maximize the ET window just before starting playing a video.

#166 daedalus OFFLINE  

daedalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1391 posts
  • Local time: 11:49 PM

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:24 AM

That's not related to frame rate matching. It also happen without changing frame rate.

never saw this apart from framerate switching

• ShoutingMan likes this

#167 stettler OFFLINE  

stettler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:52 AM

never saw this apart from framerate switching

That can happen when the computer go to/out of sleep. Or when the display device is turned off/on especially if it doesn't have a edid chip. Or when you start ET and it isn't really in full screen. It happens each time Windows change the geometry of the display for whatever reason: Normally, applications that are in full screen should stay in full screen and, with ET interface, it looks like it is the case. But ET isn't really anymore in full screen: it's just taking the whole screen. When starting playing a video, Electron make a mess and the window it use is somewhat of.

#168 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2493 posts
  • Local time: 05:49 AM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:10 AM

So, ET updates itself to 3.0.5 and broke this yet again. (i.e. the gaps are back at the RHS and bottom when switching refresh rates).

I can't apply the setsize fix as the code in main.js has changed. So, what's the solution now?

#169 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2493 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:20 AM

I had to replace electron with version 1.8.7 again - so it's back to the slow jerky interface but a least there's no gap at the edge of the video.

#170 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157137 posts
  • Local time: 05:49 PM

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

After the var bounds you could do something like bounds.height +=3; and same for width.

#171 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2493 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:14 AM

For some reason ET stopped loading entirely for me today. It may have been something to do with the old electron version.

After the var bounds you could do something like bounds.height +=3; and same for width.

I tried this suggestion, and adding 6 to both dimensions fixes the issue (well "works-around" the issue is more accurate).

The resulting video looks good. I took screenshots of the test pattern I posted earlier, and it lines up correctly with the original.

Edited by AdrianW, 24 November 2018 - 07:31 AM.

#172 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:00 AM

I only mentioned it because you were asking about SVP, which is what that does. It's for smooth motion, and nothing to do with frame rate switching.

You're right. And while I would rather have absolute frame-rate matching, I'm open to quality frame interpolation routines. But I haven't had time to try out SVP or other options. And with the Shield price drop to $140, I'm trying it out as a new theater front end, and letting go of ET Windows as my player. This looks like a simpler and less time consuming approach. I like Windows ET, but the vagaries of Windows have made it ultimately a non-friendly solution to my spouse and myself at times.

(And if the Shield works well, possibly-maybe then pulling the HTPC from the media room and turning it more into a dedicated server box.)

Edited by ShoutingMan, 24 November 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#173 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

This thread is about the small gap (wrong window size/position). That's not related to frame rate matching. It also happen without changing frame rate.

The workaround I am using is a custom lua script to minimize/maximize the ET window just before starting playing a video.

What's the LUA script to resize the window? 

I only see this quirk with frame rate switching. If frame rate doesn't switch, the window doesn't change size. But I don't leave ET running 24/7. WIndows always changes resolution on my PC, resizing all the windows, after the display is turned off.

#174 Guest_asrequested_* OFFLINE  

Guest_asrequested_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:36 AM

You can always map the f key to a button and press it twice to jump in and out of full screen.
  • ShoutingMan likes this

#175 daveyravey1972 OFFLINE  

daveyravey1972

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

so i am running the latest build of emby theater and i have an issue with weird lines at the bottom of my projector screen. See images

Is this the same issue?  If i use Jriver or another playback device on the PC all is ok.

5bf97a6ed001d_emby.png

#176 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157137 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

Yes that's another thing. Try without the hack and just jump out of full screen and then back in. See if that works. We can come up with a better hack based on that.

#177 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2493 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:48 PM

Try without the hack and just jump out of full screen and then back in. See if that works. 

Minimize and maximize always fixed it - it's just a pain. 

#178 ShoutingMan OFFLINE  

ShoutingMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:48 AM

Adding content to my library, I see that Emby updated and re-added the bug. I’ll either kludge the full screen or downgrade Electron again.

#179 AdrianW OFFLINE  

AdrianW

Advanced Member

• Super Testers
  • 2493 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:56 AM

Adding content to my library, I see that Emby updated and re-added the bug. I’ll either kludge the full screen or downgrade Electron again.

I downgraded electron which worked for a few days but then yesterday ET wouldn't even open - which may or may not have been caused by electron. I forced an update (which re-introduced the problem but at least ET would start) so I used the code work around in main.js instead.

#180 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 157137 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:18 AM

Minimize and maximize always fixed it - it's just a pain. 

You were doing this after video started, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users