Active video has small gap on side and bottom of screen

PrincessClevage

snapwing

better finally find & fix the real problem

+1

In my case, at least, hitting the maximize button a couple times does not always fix the issue.

Additionally, in case it's useful, I applied the reg keys related to the NOEDID as I thought this was promising, given my situation. It did not help with the specific issue of the two small "gaps" at the bottom of the screen.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

serpi

Additionally, in case it's useful, I applied the reg keys related to the NOEDID as I thought this was promising, given my situation. It did not help with the specific issue of the two small "gaps" at the bottom of the screen.

No, this doesn't help for this, it's for another problem: if your ET window is much smaller (normally 1024x768) than the screen after waking up the PC, because the PC is up before the TV and so it uses a dummy screen mode.

But as mentioned before, besides the small gap at button/right in playback after screen mode/rate changes, I also see a gap at the top of the screen before (auto) logon  or right after video plaback, but only for a blink-and-you-miss-it moment.

Anyone else can confirm this?

Ciao, Alfred

snapwing

No, this doesn't help for this, it's for another problem: if your ET window is much smaller (normally 1024x768) than the screen after waking up the PC, because the PC is up before the TV and so it uses a dummy screen mode.

But as mentioned before, besides the small gap at button/right in playback after screen mode/rate changes, I also see a gap at the top of the screen before (auto) logon or right after video plaback, but only for a blink-and-you-miss-it moment.

Anyone else can confirm this?

Ciao, Alfred

Got it. I was seeing both issues, but was hopeful that solving the dummy screen mode would also solve this since it initially seemed like hitting maximize would take care of the gaps. Seemed like it could have been related. But you are correct. Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

The changelogs suggest there will probably not be any difference.

That's what I was thinking, but just thought I'd mention it.

nicko84

Hello,

In ET 3.0.1 and when display refresh rate changes to match with video, i've one blue stripe on the right of the screen et one litte blue stripe a t bottom.

To hide the desktop and these stripes i've changed desktop color from blue to black and move the taskbar to the top of the screen.

It's not the best way but the better i've found !

PS : same issue with Electron 2.0.2 and last MPV release.

Hello,

Same issue with Electron 2.0.5 and last MPV release (still no video with Electron 3.0.0 beta 3)

ShoutingMan

Goto HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Then you'll see a bunch of sub-keys.

One of those keys is for your existing monitor. It should be obvious.

One of the keys will have the text NOEDID in it, This is the default monitor key.

Open that key and replace the following values in the two 00 sub-keys from your actual monitor:

ActiveSize.cx

ActiveSize.cy

PrimSurfSize.cx

PrimSurfSize.cy

DwmClipBox.bottom

DwmClipBox.right

Stride

Reboot 

The existing values will be 400 (hex) and 300 (hex). Just remember to enter the news values as decimals as they default to hex.

Did you touch any of the frequency synch registry settings? I'm anxious that changing settings without also changing the listed frequency settings will cause major problems. But no one mentions these parameters in all the how-to's I've seen.

echoxxzz

Did you touch any of the frequency synch registry settings? I'm anxious that changing settings without also changing the listed frequency settings will cause major problems. But no one mentions these parameters in all the how-to's I've seen.

At a minimum those are the keys you need to change but I actually duplicate all the keys for my real graphics display into the virtual display. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
mark235

Here also a 3 pixel wide line on the right and bottom, when "Change display refresh rate to match video" is turned on. I've settled for a black Windows background color and taskbar at the top to avoid it for now, but would be nice to see a better fix.

AdrianW

Looks like there was an update to ET (mine is now 3.0.2).

It's updated electron again, which has brought back the gaps at the RHS and bottom. I had to copy back the old electron version again!

The update also defaulted the theme back to that blue radiance thing. It would be preferable if updates kept all preferences intact.

I played around in ET before switching electron back, and navigation scrolling was significant smoother, but I'd rather put up with janky scrolling than have gaps at the side of the video.

@@Luke are you any closer at finding a fix for this gap problem?

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 2

daedalus

I asked a question on one of the previous pages. Can you see what you think? Thanks.

answered half a year ago, called to mind two months ago, please

over 2 month ago

video settings work @ new build

other observations

first  it finally maintains its window size after refresh rate change, but now the whole window gets shifted some pixel to the up left after refresh rate change and comes back to its normal position when you exit playback and it switches refresh rate back

attachicon.gifUnbenannt.png

^ (original resolution is 1920x1080) the blue pixels on bottom & right are my wallpaper that gets visible after refresh rate change

second  once started in fullscreen, windowed also stays at the fullscreen size, this and the fact that it can only resized by dragging the bottom or left makes it very hard to ever resize again

AdrianW

Is it possible to tell which of these situations is occurring: the video window width/height are slightly smaller than before. or it's the same size but is shifted up and to the left by a few pixels. If we know the answer to that, then maybe i can figure out a temporary hack.

OK - so I took some screenshots of a test video - and the newer version of electron is resizing the image rather than just offsetting it. 

Here's the normal one:

5b7fdeccaf1b9_Screenshotregular.png

And here's the one with the gaps at the right & bottom:

5b7fdedb19e79_Screenshotgaps.png

Here's the two combined:

5b7fdee6e4c2e_Screenshotcombined.png

Edited by AdrianW

pclausen

Any update?  I too have resorted to a black desktop and moving the task bar to the top of the desktop.  I don't mind that on my HTPC since it launches into ET on boot, but since all my other computers log in using the same Microsoft account, that theme has now propagated to all my other Windows machines.  I'll look into creating another account on the HTPC I suppose, so the desktops don't sync across machines.  I'll probably have to grant that new account access to the media that is shared from the server, which is currently restricted to my primary Microsoft account.

Alternatively, I might just go back to an earlier version of Electron.  What is the latest version that does not have this issue, and where do I download it from?  And do I just copy the executable on top of what I currently have installed?

AdrianW

Alternatively, I might just go back to an earlier version of Electron.  What is the latest version that does not have this issue, and where do I download it from?  And do I just copy the executable on top of what I currently have installed?

Get the one mentioned in this post (from way back in May). That's the one I'm using and I don't get the gaps. 

You're much better off getting the old electron version than just having black wallpaper - because the gaps are caused by the video being resized, so you're losing resolution and probably introducing artefacts.

You'll need to unzip it into: %AppData%\Emby-Theater\system\x64\electron

The downside to using the old electron version is that the scrolling in the UI isn't as smooth.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

AdrianW

Got another update today, and I had to copy the older electron version back to get rid of the gaps again. It's annoying as I also have to reset ALL of my settings (audio & video as well as language, display and general settings for every user.)

• Like 1

ShoutingMan

Got another update today, and I had to copy the older electron version back to get rid of the gaps again. It's annoying as I also have to reset ALL of my settings (audio & video as well as language, display and general settings for every user.)

The white line is back for me. I guess I have to manually revert Electron again?

Yep: Electron updated yesterday to v 2.0.8 for unknown reasons. ET is at 3.0.3.

Reverted to 1.8.7 by copying all the files into the folder:

C:\Users\[uSER]\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\electron

Reboot the PC

Reset all Emby Theater settings

And it's working correctly again

Edited by ShoutingMan

• 2 weeks later...
PrincessClevage

The white line is back for me. I guess I have to manually revert Electron again?

Yep: Electron updated yesterday to v 2.0.8 for unknown reasons. ET is at 3.0.3.

Reverted to 1.8.7 by copying all the files into the folder:

C:\Users\[uSER]\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\electron

Reboot the PC

Reset all Emby Theater settings

And it's working correctly again

Hi Shoutingman, would you please be able to share were I can download the old electron ver on and required file?

Edit:

I have found the old electron version and it indeed does fix the pixel issue but creates many dropped frames when playing 4K content

Edited by PrincessClevage

Guest asrequested

Hi Shoutingman, would you please be able to share were I can download the old electron ver on and required file?

Edit:

I have found the old electron version and it indeed does fix the pixel issue but creates many dropped frames when playing 4K content

Make sure the profiles aren't causing a conflict. Disable your mpv.conf, and test again.