Photo

Music Album + Artist Sorting Issue

album music sorting artist

Best Answer Luke , 13 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

Any folder with a song will become an album, so somewhere along the tree there is probably nested albums. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 d00zah OFFLINE  

d00zah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 635 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 PM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

Afraid Luke answered this in post #10...

IIRC, when faced with this a while back, I took advantage of MusicBrainz Picard's 'Move' function to scan a folder containing a random selection of music files & automatically tag/sort into the required Artist/Album/Song format. The result is MANY single song albums, but it satisfies Emby's requirements. Over time, I filled in the gaps (YMMV).

#22 xbmcgotham OFFLINE  

xbmcgotham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Local time: 03:49 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

Thanks @d00zah to getting to the rescue again.

Even though I believe that folder structure should not matter when dealing with mp3's as they have for that particular reason created the mp3 tags, for the time being, that is the only solution to fix it within the emby setup. Was hoping not to have to touch them anymore. :-)

From your experience, anything I need to config in Picard so to do it correct the first run? Anything to watch out for?

• bennynas likes this

#23 d00zah OFFLINE  

d00zah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

OK @xbmcgotham, ... here're a few screen shots regarding initial setup & usage:

Make sure correct options are set...

Attached File  Options.jpg   51.39KB   0 downloads

EDIT #1: IF you are satisfied with your current tagging, I just noticed that if you deselect the 'Save Tags' save option above, Picard'll only sort stuff into the required Artist/Album/Track format. Wish I'd sorted this feature out years ago...

EDIT #2: Same thing applies to 'Rename Files'... IF you are satisfied w/ current tagging, deselect all but 'Move Files' in the Options & Picard'll ONLY sort stuff into the required Artist/Album/Track format, based on existing tags.

Verify general options regarding naming, etc...

Attached File  FileNaming.jpg   140.64KB   0 downloads

Once you've added a whole folder of candidates, right-click on left-hand pane header & select 'Scan' and wait to see how results are displayed in the right-hand pane...

Attached File  SelectScan.jpg   149.26KB   0 downloads

Note: you can use CLICK/SHIFT-CLICK in the left-hand pane to only select a portion of the files to scan.

Sometimes 'Scan' is sufficient, as these files are already tagged, but if there's anything left over in the left-hand pane, try selecting 'Lookup' from the same menu above.

Verify details before saving...

Attached File  VerifyDetails.jpg   239.65KB   0 downloads

If you are particularly interested in detail, you can choose an alternate release version for a particular album...

Attached File  OtherVersions.jpg   360.92KB   0 downloads

Or modify details in the right-hand detail pane before selecting 'Save', at which point changes are committed.

I recommend making a 'test' folder with copies of some random tracks to practice on.

Picard's website has some good reference material, too...

https://picard.music...rg/quick-start/

If you are like me, it will take some experimenting to get things 'just so', but the results are pretty good IMO.

Good luck!

Edited by d00zah, 22 January 2018 - 04:36 PM.

#24 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139859 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the info !

#25 xbmcgotham OFFLINE  

xbmcgotham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

Thanks @d00zah for the screenshots. This saves so headaches. I will get back to you once it is done. Wonder how long 16k songs will take to remap. :D

#26 xbmcgotham OFFLINE  

xbmcgotham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

Not sure if it was smart of me to at the 16k songs in one go to musicbrainz picard. :rolleyes:

#27 d00zah OFFLINE  

d00zah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

I DID suggest a practice run... considering the time we put into our music libraries, a modicum of caution when tying a new tool is wise.

In one of my edits, I had discovered that just selecting the 'Move' option was likely the safest as it does NOT rename, or modify tags... just sorts them into Artist/Album/Track format. O, well... hope things didn't suffer too much?

#28 xbmcgotham OFFLINE  

xbmcgotham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

no worries, is was a 110gb copy of the files. I would not do this on any of the original files before testing. :-)

To much hours and energy into it.

I now split it in section as picard is not happy with the volume.

By the way. After having done all the renaming and moving I was thinking to brake the folder up again into groups by alphabet. So Artist A-H etc. Would this give problems for emby that you know of?

#29 d00zah OFFLINE  

d00zah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

I think, as long as those are the folders added to the library, rather than a single top-level folder, you should be good. I carve up my Movie library like that... [0-9], [A-F], ...

I can imagine Picard choking on the volume. I found, early on, that it's best applied album by album/artist by artist prior to adding to the library. Hate to think about the hours I spent redoing stuff as I discovered Picard's quirks. etc... Still, it makes for a purdy music library.

Note. The one thing I've never sorted out is its inability to delete cover art... it'll let you add, where you end up with multiple embedded images & I just discovered a dialog to view/select multiple images but never to delete. I recommend 'MP3Tag' for minor tweaks, embedded image mods.

#30 bennynas OFFLINE  

bennynas

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 04:49 AM

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:38 AM

Even though I believe that folder structure should not matter when dealing with mp3's as they have for that particular reason created the mp3 tags, for the time being, that is the only solution to fix it within the emby setup. Was hoping not to have to touch them anymore. :-)

Having same problem here, this thread helped me and now I'm fixing folder structure of my collection. I must say that my mp3s were already well placed in an usual "Artist/Album" structure, but I found that even a single mp3 file in the artist main folder causes Emby to show all the songs in the subfolders as a single album. I also believe that music library should rely mainly on file tags ;)

Edited by bennynas, 14 March 2018 - 09:46 AM.

#31 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139859 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback. In the future we plan to support a true mish-mash folder structure but we're not quite there yet.

• bennynas likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: album, music, sorting, artist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users