New QNAP Package for Testing

Luke

Hi All,

I've used the back up and restore plugin to trying and maintain the setup I have from the community setup. The disappointing factor is that the library component of the restore doesn't transfer the metadata for the media, so I need to rebuild the libraries all again.

It does at least maintain the pathing which is good though.

The auto restart and restart function is awesome also.

Cant wait to see more of the update.

Shane

Question....Everything works great so far except it's painfully slow building the libraries for a large collection. As such, I've started over and am just adding one disk (or folder)  at a time. I've now added 4 disks, each are TV

series. Libraries are all under TV except the system renames each respectively...TV, TV1, TV11, TV111......checking each folder groups them all together under the common TV folder, however series pooling doesn't work

because I assume technically, they are NOT in the same folder...just grouped to act as the same folder. Is their any way to overcome this short of physically moving files?

Question....Everything works great so far except it's painfully slow building the libraries for a large collection. As such, I've started over and am just adding one disk (or folder)  at a time. I've now added 4 disks, each are TV

series. Libraries are all under TV except the system renames each respectively...TV, TV1, TV11, TV111......checking each folder groups them all together under the common TV folder, however series pooling doesn't work

because I assume technically, they are NOT in the same folder...just grouped to act as the same folder. Is their any way to overcome this short of physically moving files?

It looks like you setup four libraries, each with a single folder. Instead what you want to do is remove three of them and then add the three folders to the single library so that you have one library with all four folders.

Hi,

first of all sorry for my bad English.

I want to tell you my latest experience with the new package.

Hardware-Setup:

QNAP: TS-853 Pro

Raid: 5

Bays used: 7/8

Clients:

-        Android Client (Android 7.1.1)

-        FireTV Stick 2nd Generation

Emby Setup before migration:

-        Latest version of emby (3.2.33)

-        Qmono and FFmpeg from qnap club

-        Images and Data of media files are in the directories of the media files

Installation Preparation:

-        Uninstallation of QMono

-        Uninstallation of FFmpeg

-        Reboot

-        Check via putty, if all files are removed

Note: all files were removed correctly and no need to delete files manually

-        Installation and configuration of the new emby package

-        Activation of the transcoding acceleration (VAAPI)

Rebuild of the media libraries

-        I had to grant access to the emby user to the media directories via webinterface of the Qnap

-        It took a while (25 hours) to rebuild the database. I checked the server log several times and came to the conclusion, that all nfo-files were updated by themoviedb and thetvdb AND all profile pictures had to be downloaded from the internet.

Experience:

The new package is really fast. The major improvements are:

-        Really fast search option

-        Mediascan 3 times faster than before

-        Possibility of 3 parallel transcoding thread at once

Emby General Issues:

-        Scheduled Server reboot via Server Reboot !Plugin! from the plugin catalogue crashes the server, server reboot button in the emby dashboard works fine

-        Couldn’t find more, great work!

DVBLink Issues (I will open a separate thread in the correct section and provide logs)

-        It is not possible to change the recording folder. The web interface shows the path correctly, but all recordings are “somewhere” else; I didn’t figure out where.

-        It is not possible to access the Live-TV stream and the recorded files via AppleTV and FireTV; the only possibility is to access via web interface. I tried several different configurations for the recording. If I try to watch the live-stream with my FireTV, the FireTV terminates with the message “no device found or technical problems”; if I try to play a recorded file, the entire app crashes.     

I am totally happy! Great work!

If you need further support or logs, I would be happy to assist you.

Edited by MariusW

Fuechslein

Browsing Collections made by Auto Box Sets make the server crash instantly. Logs don't contain anything about it.

Also, would it be possible to include volume selection for the qpkg in future releases? The official QDK allows it for quite some time now and QNAP_Stephane also had it working on the unofficial release with the mono dependency. I prefer placing the apps on my 2nd SSD volume directly, instead of having to change all the paths inside the application or making a symlink manually.

Otherwise, good job so far! (:

Browsing Collections made by Auto Box Sets make the server crash instantly. Logs don't contain anything about it.

Also, would it be possible to include volume selection for the qpkg in future releases? The official QDK allows it for quite some time now and QNAP_Stephane also had it working on the unofficial release with the mono dependency. I prefer placing the apps on my 2nd SSD volume directly, instead of having to change all the paths inside the application or making a symlink manually.

Otherwise, good job so far! (:

@@Fuechslein, please attach the log anyway. Thanks.

alucryd

Sure, the next package will have that enabled. Installation only though, no migration yet because the emby user home is set at installation and would need to be updated to follow the new path, afaict there's no way to run any command upon migration to do that automatically.

• Like 1

joelang6126

Thank you for the version. I do find it much faster than the old community one. I'm not convinced hardware transcoding is taking place as the CPU usuage on the TVS-EC1080 quite high, looks like its running in software transcoding mode.

I have attached my transcoding log, can someone tell form that if its using HW or Software Transcoding.

ffmpeg-transcode-4a404d56-572b-4213-bad5-529eba66bdeb.txt

Edited by joelang6126

Thank you for the version. I do find it much faster than the old community one. I'm not convinced hardware transcoding is taking place as the CPU usuage on the TVS-EC1080 quite high, looks like its running in software transcoding mode.

I have attached my transcoding log, can someone tell form that if its using HW or Software Transcoding.

Hardware transcoding is occurring in this log.

Fuechslein

@@Fuechslein, please attach the log anyway. Thanks.

There you go. Auto Box Sets dont seem to cause the issue, as Im still crashing after uninstalling the plugin. Its strange though, as it really ALWAYS crashed when I opened the collections view.

Log.txt

Edited by Fuechslein

There you go. Auto Box Sets dont seem to cause the issue, as Im still crashing after uninstalling the plugin. Its strange though, as it really ALWAYS crashed when I opened the collections view.

Try removing third party plugins - vu+ and statistics

Fuechslein

Sure, the next package will have that enabled. Installation only though, no migration yet because the emby user home is set at installation and would need to be updated to follow the new path, afaict there's no way to run any command upon migration to do that automatically.

Great to hear! Couldnt the path issue be solved by using relative paths instead?

Fuechslein

Try removing third party plugins - vu+ and statistics

Removing both plugins seems to have fixed the crashing. Using only the statistics plugin looks stable till now.  Thanks for the fast response.

On another note, I really dislike the creation of the emby user on my system. Even more so when that user whose password I do not know is granted administrator privileges. Just use the default qnap admin account, like any other qpkg's do. You'll get the same permissions in the end, but without knowing the password to an admin account. 

There's another little detail that is bugging me. Why can't I see the Emby process in the webinterface? Theres no way right now that I can see what load emby puts on my system, at least not in the webinterface.

Keep up the good work :)

Update: After installing the auto box plugin, it crashes again. If I open collection view, emby immediately dies. If I don't open collecton view it dies anayway within 5 minutes. I attached the log.

Edited by Fuechslein

PenkethBoy

Are the X86 packages coming back as i just checked and they have gone from the first post?

alucryd

Great to hear! Couldnt the path issue be solved by using relative paths instead?

No, it doesn't work that way.

Removing both plugins seems to have fixed the crashing. Using only the statistics plugin looks stable till now.  Thanks for the fast response.

On another note, I really dislike the creation of the emby user on my system. Even more so when that user whose password I do not know is granted administrator privileges. Just use the default qnap admin account, like any other qpkg's do. You'll get the same permissions in the end, but without knowing the password to an admin account. 

There's another little detail that is bugging me. Why can't I see the Emby process in the webinterface? Theres no way right now that I can see what load emby puts on my system, at least not in the webinterface.

Keep up the good work :)

Update: After installing the auto box plugin, it crashes again. If I open collection view, emby immediately dies. I attached the log.

FYI, the emby user has no password and false as its default shell, surely you know that you can't login or do anything with it unless you are root. Belonging to the administrator group absolutely does not give it the same permissions as the admin user, it just means it will be able to read, not write, more stuff than it would without, including the render node for vaapi.

As for the process, not sure what you're referring to but the process isn't called Emby, it's called dotnet.

Edited by alucryd

alucryd

Are the X86 packages coming back as i just checked and they have gone from the first post?

We're waiting for Microsoft to fix their runtime build process for both arm and x86 before we can reinstate those builds.

PenkethBoy

Why are we persisting with the Emby user when its not needed as all other packages use the admin account and should this package not do the same?

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Just installed 33.5 version and after the install the emby server is not running so when you try to open the server it fails

I got it working by stopping emby in App centre and restarting the app - waited a few seconds and the server started

Question - why do we have two zombie ffmpeg processes?

Fuechslein

No, it doesn't work that way.

FYI, the emby user has no password and false as its default shell, surely you know that you can't login or do anything with it unless you are root. Belonging to the administrator group absolutely does not give it the same permissions as the admin user, it just means it will be able to read, not write, more stuff than it would without, including the render node for vaapi.

As for the process, not sure what you're referring to but the process isn't called Emby, it's called dotnet.

Thanks for the response. I still dont quite understand why emby needs to add a new user when all of the other applications do not and instead use the admin account which exists by default on all qnap nas. Also, new shares only get R/W permission for the admin user and administrator group does not get permission. Means admin has access anywhere by default, administrator group does not... I just do not see the need for the emby user, when you could just use the deafult admin user.

And for the process, doesn't emby also use ffmpeg? It would be much easier if there was an emby node in the process interface which then lists all processes used by emby. Just look at the attached screenshot. I can see at a single glance how much resources for example the QNAP Disagnostics Tool uses and which processes are associated with it. There is no way to do that with emby atm. I have to look under System processes and search all the processes with the emby user. And that in fact only works because you have set up an user named emby instead of using the default admin account ;) Oh and it only works in the detailed process tab and not in the overview. Not very nice.

I hope you get my point now.

Edit: typo

post-243938-0-32096500-1507712730_thumb.png

Edited by Fuechslein
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

I agree was just coming to say we need an Emby node in the process interface - otherwise the dotnet and ffmpeg processes get lost in all the others  :)

PenkethBoy

I changed a few settings in the dashboard and tried the restart option - the first time i had an unhandled exception and the server failed to restart - left it for about 10 mins to be sure - see logs attached

I manually restarted the server and the second time i tried the restart worked as expected.

jjspierx

Will it be possible migrate my library (metadata, pictures, etc...) from my current Mono install of Emby Server on QNAP to the  .Net Core when it is released?

Browsing collection crashing server....reset and repeated 3 times.....crashes on loading last page of collection each time. 
Stopped and restarted again a few hours later.....server starts but when entering collection all I get is an endless spinning circle.
No plugins are installed.

Last log attached...

Log