New QNAP Package for Testing

Luke

Fuechslein

I've uninstalled all plugins now and its still crashing. Takes some minutes more than before, but it still crashes in the background, without me doing anything. Log is attached. 

Log (1).txt

Edited by Fuechslein

joelang6126

Hardware transcoding is occurring in this log.

Luke thanks for the reply

No matter what type of "Hardware Acceleration" I choose the CPU usage is always around 70% to 80%

Even setting it to off yields the same results.

PenkethBoy

Observation

the 2 ffmpeg processes created when Emby is running do not appear to be used. When running a chapter extraction task both processes stay a 0% cpu and 0 memory. The chapter extraction does take place but appears to run under "kernal_processes"

Fuechslein

Luke thanks for the reply

No matter what type of "Hardware Acceleration" I choose the CPU usage is always around 70% to 80%

Even setting it to off yields the same results.

When looking at your logs I see 

[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0xd256a0] Failed to initialise VAAPI connection: 1 (operation failed).
  Metadata:
[vaapi @ 0x63c0f0] Failed to create a VAAPI device  

which indicates that hardware transcoding is NOT used.

Edited by Fuechslein

joelang6126

When looking at your logs i see [vaapi @ 0x63c0f0] Failed to create a VAAPI device which indicates that hardware transcoding is NOT used.

I thought the same thing when I had a look, however being a novice I asked the board.

raven-au

@@PenkethBoy, please see how to report a problem. thanks.

Like I said early on, they are zombies and are waiting to be reaped by the parent with wait(2) or waitpid(2).

ffmpeg is used a lot and doesn't have this problem so there must be some place during the startup that runs these differently to the other places.

Edited by raven-au

PenkethBoy

@@Luke

its a "problem" only in that Emby creates these zombie process and then never uses them - logs are not going to help but i did post some in post #98

which includes the server start up

Also see post #103

raven-au

@@Luke

its a "problem" only in that Emby creates these zombie process and then never uses them - logs are not going to help but i did post some in post #98

which includes the server start up

Also see post #103

No it's not a problem that emby creates zombie processes and doesn't use them.

The problem is that emby runs two ffmpeg processes to do something and fails to reap the process when it is finished.

Zombie processes never go away until the parent reaps them, optionally getting the completion status, and these zombies are always left behind when the server starts so that is when it happens.

ffmpeg is used frequently by emby so clearly it knows how to reap the processes.

PenkethBoy

i do not see any visible use of ffmpeg - its appears to be combined with kernel-processes - as in if i run a chapter extraction process - kernel-processes starts to use cpu resources 25% to 75% but with Ram at 0% while the ffmpeg zombies show no change

its working just curious why have the processes "not used" or not being reported properly - which could be a QNAP thing

Fuechslein

Just installed on my QNAP TVS-873. Very quick install (about 1 minute), no errors and was able to launch right into Emby setup.

Log attached if you want it.

Thanks.

Same system as me. I wonder what happens if you start installing some plugins. I didnt have problems either in the beginning but then I installed VU+, Trailers, Auto Box Sets, Statistics and the Box cover plugin. Then the problems started. Now it always crashes after about 2 minutes, even after I uninstalled all plugins!

lukemelville

Same system as me. I wonder what happens if you start installing some plugins. I didnt have problems either in the beginning but then I installed VU+, Trailers, Auto Box Sets, Statistics and the Box cover plugin. Then the problems started. Now it always crashes after about 2 minutes, even after I uninstalled all plugins!

Great system ;-) Ah, I've installed Auto Box Sets (1.1.1) plugin and restarted the server but I will let you know once my media scans are done and let you know if things are working with the plugin installed.

Hi, I'd like to try this, is there a way to import settings, plugins and media library from the current mono based version or I have to configure it from scratch?

Dear Luke,

please find attached my log with several errors (censored my ddns server host and my local username but I think it should not matter ;))

• System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'local Nas .nfo file' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied (files are stored on the same NAS as the package, not sure what is going on, I set in the emby settings to sync my users watched status in the .nfo files)
  • Error HttpClient: Error ProtocolError getting response from http://192.168.2.29:49000 (not sure why Emby needs my gateways 49000 port access - .29 is one of the gateways in my home the NAS is attached to via LAN. Never saw this one in the settings, but regardless of that it fails)
  • Error App: Error disposing ServerManager (error still remains, when there are plugin updated available and I try to restart the server via the dashboard, emby never comes back and needs to be restarted via qnap app package manager)

(Sorry for the large file as emby did run for quite some time without any crashes, so thats a big plus :D)

Hope it helps!

Edited by sectune

Permission denied is something you'll need to look into. I will not be able to tell you why emby server does not have write access to your files. I will look at the others. Thanks.

Permission denied is something you'll need to look into. I will not be able to tell you why emby server does not have write access to your files. I will look at the others. Thanks.

Thanks Luke sensei! I actually was dumb and already fixed the permission error, I needed to manually add the read-write permission to my share folders via the share assistant in qnap for emby group myself as by default it was set to permission denied. Just was wondering if qnap packages f.e. emby can have such permissions to set folders to r/w when a user selects a folder in emby wizard as a media folder.

Edited by sectune

Thanks Luke sensei! I actually was dumb and already fixed the permission error, I needed to manually add the read-write permission to my share folders via the share assistant in qnap for emby group myself as by default it was set to permission denied. Just was wondering if qnap packages f.e. emby can have such permissions to set folders to r/w when a user selects a folder in emby wizard as a media folder.

FYI you're running a little behind on version. You should probably update. At least until we declare this package stable and put it on the main website, it may be changing from one build to the next so you probably want to stay up to date.

raven-au

i do not see any visible use of ffmpeg - its appears to be combined with kernel-processes - as in if i run a chapter extraction process - kernel-processes starts to use cpu resources 25% to 75% but with Ram at 0% while the ffmpeg zombies show no change

its working just curious why have the processes "not used" or not being reported properly - which could be a QNAP thing

Yes, I wondered about that too.

Sometimes I do see ffmpeg processes but a lot of the time I just see the higher CPU usage.

I concluded that emby is running a bunch of fairly short lived ffmpeg processes which can't be caught by the process reporting.

If you look at "ps -ef|grep emby" output during a library scan where thumbnail extraction is being done you will see ffmpeg processes popping up but you won't see processes for all the "-ss <time>" values becuase I think they complete too quickly.

Process creation and destruction is pretty quick on Linux so using many processes like this shouldn't be a problem IMHO.

Ian

PenkethBoy

Yes the processes may be too quick for the resource monitor to catch

are the processes you noticed tied to the zombie processes or to the kernel-processes?

will have to try this out myself :)

PenkethBoy

i see the package (on first page) has not been updated to 3.2.33.8 

will 33.5 auto update when available?

lukemelville

Not sure if this is a Emby issue or just this package (I'm new to Emby) but my library/metadata scans seem to be getting stuck or just taking forever.

i see the package (on first page) has not been updated to 3.2.33.8 

will 33.5 auto update when available?

Unfortunately qnap has to be built on a qnap device which means it is a manual process that is not hooked into our automated build system. Because of that it won't be getting every beta. Stable releases are the only releases we are promising that will be immediately available.

• Like 1