New QNAP Package for Testing

Luke

Hi Ian,

I understand where your coming from with regards to the different processors etc, however the devices I am playing back on previously were Western Digital TV Live! unit, Xbox 1 S, Samsung 3D Blu-ray players and a Minix NEO X8-H Plus media player.

Previously these would play the files (well except a few on the WD units and Samsung due to licensing issues) direct from the QNAP with the default Twonky Server installed.

I understand that Emby is much better and far superior to Twonky, but it's just bizarre that files previously I had no issues playing direct from the QNAP with Emby installed I do.

Processor wise, the Atom D2701 whilst not the Intel HD integrated video it does have the GMA 3650 integrated.

Reason I went with this unit over the Pro was the built in HDMI which I did utilise for a period of time to play media direct to my TV via the unit.

Network wise, even when everyone is online, I barely see any bottlenecks or performance hits, so it's got to be something in the way Emby does things differently to what I used previously.

Up until the Minix I'd never played with Kodi either, but even Kodi didn't have any issues on the same files. It's got me puzzled hence the reason to go to an old laptop I had lying around.

With the 3rd Gen i7 processor and Nvidia GT610M seems to have brought my streaming back to how it was prior to Emby on the QNAP.

Files I will add are still stored and being accessed via the QNAP also.

Shane

raven-au

Hi Ian,

I understand where your coming from with regards to the different processors etc, however the devices I am playing back on previously were Western Digital TV Live! unit, Xbox 1 S, Samsung 3D Blu-ray players and a Minix NEO X8-H Plus media player.

Previously these would play the files (well except a few on the WD units and Samsung due to licensing issues) direct from the QNAP with the default Twonky Server installed.

I understand that Emby is much better and far superior to Twonky, but it's just bizarre that files previously I had no issues playing direct from the QNAP with Emby installed I do.

If the Emby server profile of a device says it can't play something directly or direct stream it (right or wrong) then Emby will trancode it.

So what device is it you would like to use as a player?

Does it have an Emby client?

There has always been the problem where some applications on devices will take advantage of non-standard mechanisms to allow things to work but typically, for ongoing OS compatibility, Emby clients usually won't try and do that.

Even Kodi has removed functionality (Kodi for Android for example) to move closer to this same situation, largely to reduce support overhead.

That's just the way it is.

Perhaps one or more device profiles aren't quite right, I don't know, only way to check that out is to ask, others may be able to help.

Processor wise, the Atom D2701 whilst not the Intel HD integrated video it does have the GMA 3650 integrated.

Reason I went with this unit over the Pro was the built in HDMI which I did utilise for a period of time to play media direct to my TV via the unit.

AFAIK Intel HD graphics is the only GPU that works for hardware transcoding on QNAP devices.

Your NAS will not be able to use hardware assisted trancoding and it's CPU isn't powerful enough to trancode what you need transcoded.

Network wise, even when everyone is online, I barely see any bottlenecks or performance hits, so it's got to be something in the way Emby does things differently to what I used previously.

Up until the Minix I'd never played with Kodi either, but even Kodi didn't have any issues on the same files. It's got me puzzled hence the reason to go to an old laptop I had lying around.

With the 3rd Gen i7 processor and Nvidia GT610M seems to have brought my streaming back to how it was prior to Emby on the QNAP.

Right, network performance should be fine these days (even wireless, unless you don't have reasonably up to date kit).

Kodi is well known to direct play just about anything and the Emby for Kodi plugin is quite good, that combination would work well with the NAS as an Emby server.

Kodi is available for quite a few platforms, that could be useful ....

Ian

raven-au

Windows generally has a fairly good range of hardware acceleration for this stuff and the CPU is usually somewhat quicker.

It's a good choice but you end up with having to have the laptop powered on all the time, yet another device consuming power.

For my part I've chosen to do my best to get player devices that can play stuff from the Emby server without transcoding.

Most recently that's been Emby Theater for Windows on an old Intel NUC.

I have used Emby for Android TV on my Sony TVs for quite a while and a couple of them even direct play HEVC encoded shows (as it should being a UHD TV) while the other Full HD TV plays 1080p directly just fine.

Up until recently the Apple TV 4th generation caused trancoding quite often but I see lately Emby server will direct stream to it, so that also works for me now.

Maybe a few questions about the XBox One S is in order but the WD TV box is proprietary so that probably won't ever work, and I'm not sure if you would be able to use the Emby for Kodi plugin with the Minix box even if you installed the Public Android version of Kodi instead of the custom one that comes with the Minix .....

Personally I wouldn't use Emby for Android on a Minix box (and haven't done so), that plain Android they have installed is, IMHO, an unpleasant experience on a large TV screen.

So I don't know how well that would work.

Hopefully there's some useful information for you in these posts.

Ian

Luke, thank you for fixing xbox one app now all x264 and x265 with 5.1 audio works with subtitles without transcoding. Only two that doesn't work is 4k HDR and x265 with 7.1 audio they do transcode still. Great work

When installing the package, Emby just does not start on my TS-459 Pro II.

I tried to start it manually but i get the following error:

[~] # /etc/init.d/emby-server.sh start

[~] # /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

Further Information:

[~] # uname -a

Linux QNAS 3.4.6 #1 SMP Thu Oct 26 01:34:35 CST 2017 x86_64 unknown

raven-au

When installing the package, Emby just does not start on my TS-459 Pro II.

I tried to start it manually but i get the following error:

[~] # /etc/init.d/emby-server.sh start

[~] # /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

Further Information:

[~] # uname -a

Linux QNAS 3.4.6 #1 SMP Thu Oct 26 01:34:35 CST 2017 x86_64 unknown

Your QTS is 32 bit, the qpkg here requires a 64 bit QTS.

If you want to use this you will need to upgrade QTS.

raven-au

thanks @raven-au 

Np, unfortunately it looks like the latest QTS for the TS-459 Pro II is 4.2.6 and I think 4.3 (or perhaps 4.3.3, not sure) is the first 64 bit QTS.

It looks like it won't get a 64 bit QTS release.

raven-au

Np, unfortunately it looks like the latest QTS for the TS-459 Pro II is 4.2.6 and I think 4.3 (or perhaps 4.3.3, not sure) is the first 64 bit QTS.

It looks like it won't get a 64 bit QTS release.

The QNAP firmware forum lists QTS 4.2.6 as the latest and last firmware version for this model which has been EOLed at 31 Oct 2017.

Not sure how EOLed devices figure in this .....

Yes, 4.2.6 is the latest and final build for some "older" QNAP models.

I was hoping you don't tell me exactly this.

uname showed "x86_64" and some previous update brought support for the 4GB RAM I upgraded inside, so i thought they might have updated it since the processor would support 64 bit.

And the x86_64-Build from the QNAP community does work on the model.

Is there maybe a way to integrate a 32bit build in the build process? Since it's managed code there should be hopefully not so much problems.

PenkethBoy

@@Luke There are two significant groups of QNAP NAS's that are @ EOL or will be very soon

QNAP released the last firmware upgrade for the following NAS's on 31/10/2017 - v4.2.6 - this is a 32bit firmware

QNAP will no longer release QTS updates for the following models:

SS-439 Pro, SS-839 Pro, TS-110, TS-210, TS-239 Pro, TS-239 Pro II, TS-239 Pro II+, TS-259 Pro, TS-259 Pro+, TS-410, TS-410U, TS-439 Pro, TS-439 Pro II, TS-439 Pro II+, TS-439U-RP/ SP, TS-459 Pro, TS-459 Pro II, TS-459 Pro+, TS-459U-RP/SP, TS-459U-RP+/SP+, TS-509 Pro, TS-559 Pro, TS-559 Pro II, TS-559 Pro+, TS-639 Pro, TS-659 Pro, TS-659 Pro II, TS-659 Pro+, TS-809 Pro, TS-809U-RP, TS-859 Pro, TS-859 Pro+, TS-859U-RP, TS-859U-RP+.

QNAP has stated that v4.3.3 for the following NAS's will be the last version supported - as 4.3.4 is in beta the last version of 4.3.3 is probably close - 4.3.3 is a 64bit firmware - but IIRC all these Nas's are ARM (old) powered

QTS 4.3.3 is the final available firmware update for the following models:

TS-112P, TS-212P, TS-212-E, HS-210, TS-112, TS-212, TS-121, TS-221, TS-421 TS-120, TS-220, TS-420, TS-420U, TS-421U TS-412, TS-412U, TS-419U, TS-419U+, TS-419U II, TS-119P II, TS-219P II, TS-419P II, TS-119P+, TS-219P+, TS-419P+, TS-119P, TS-219P, TS-419P, TS-119, TS-219, TS-419 

Going forward all none EOL QNAP's will all have a 64bit firmware available - even if some do not install it.

Hopefully this will help with deciding what version of QNAP firmware you want to target and if and when you might retire the mono versions.

Has anyone tested https again recently? We updated openssl in the latest package since that is what .net core is using. Thanks.

vangeliis

If you're wondering why it's because we have to build for QNAP on a QNAP device, therefore it's not hooked into our automated build system. We're not going to manually produce daily betas as that will just be too much for us to handle. The reason the other NAS devices do get betas is because their build processes are bit more flexible.

Makes sense. Thanks !

raven-au

uname showed "x86_64" and some previous update brought support for the 4GB RAM I upgraded inside, so i thought they might have updated it since the processor would support 64 bit.

And the x86_64-Build from the QNAP community does work on the model.

Is there maybe a way to integrate a 32bit build in the build process? Since it's managed code there should be hopefully not so much problems.

The kernel is 64-bit but the OS itself is all 32-bit, that's quite normal when using a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU.

I believe it's possible to create a qpkg with both 64-bit and 32-bit binaries although I haven't ever done that

myself.

At the very least it would be necessary to get the required 32-bit .net runtime and to build the various software

needed by Emby as 32-bit in addition to the 64-bit variants and create the qpkg from them.

But we know this is early days and (based on earlier comments) the build system used at the moment is not

automated and probably can only be done for the 64-bit case.

Even if it could be done, given the limited resources of the Emby developers, I'd say it wouldn't be supported.

It's not a sensible use of time to support something that is EOL and it possibly isn't good for your support

relationship with the vendor, for when you really do need help.

Microsoft doesn't officially support linux 32-bit for .net core so you would just have to continue using the mono-based packages available in the qnap community.

Syvedris

@@Luke still getting ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED afther some time when using SSL. I notisted when I reset some ports on my router the SSL works longer for some time, and the error im getting has someting to do with port forwarding I think.

scubajwd

Now running Emby Server on my QNAP TS-653Pro; install went

smoothly (did not have to dust off my 35 years of unix shell

programming expertise used in the 70's 80's & 90's); auto

transcodes to H.264(MKV) were pegging my QNAP cpu so

I've disabled the auto transcodes for the moment; was quite pleased

on how well the Server package installed and functions; hope

this platform continues to get developer cycles...Thanx

raven-au

Now running Emby Server on my QNAP TS-653Pro; install went

smoothly (did not have to dust off my 35 years of unix shell

programming expertise used in the 70's 80's & 90's); auto

transcodes to H.264(MKV) were pegging my QNAP cpu so

I've disabled the auto transcodes for the moment; was quite pleased

on how well the Server package installed and functions; hope

this platform continues to get developer cycles...Thanx

The TS-453 Pro transocding worked fine for me when I tried it.

What did you select in Trancoding->Hardware Acceleration?

Edited by raven-au

Okay,  I just gave it another try as I had some time free, however I cannot attach to the instance.  I just get that the device refused the connection.  

If I run up the old one then all seems to work fine.  I removed the original 32 version and installed the 40 version fresh however I am still seeing the same.  Not sure how to tell what is happening.  Are there logs I can send you without being able to access the system?

scubajwd

The TS-453 Pro transocding worked fine for me when I tried it.

What did you select in Trancoding->Hardware Acceleration?

Your 453 Pro has the same oldish hardware that my 653 has; transcoding works fine; it

just takes too much of my cpu 97% and the cpu gets quite warmish (123 Deg F); I don't

want my old QNAP stressed like this; I tried with & w/o hardware acceleration..no difference;

Channels DVR transcoding is not nearly as stressing on my hardware..btw..what is your

cpu % and temps while transcoding a 2 hr long movie or news article (1080 P)??