Status on official LG app

jhs

mastrmind11

They have to approve new updates. We could switch to the cloud hosted app model if we want, which would allow us to bypass the LG review process, but then the app will unfortunately require an active internet connection in order to be used.

Perhaps you will consider 2 channels and let the users decide which they're ok with.  I, for one, would welcome faster updates.  If you don't want to maintain 2 channels, perhaps make a poll and let the LG owners vote?

Two channels would mean two entire apps. I'm not even sure we could get that through the LG review process.

mastrmind11

Two channels would mean two entire apps. I'm not even sure we could get that through the LG review process.

How does plex do it?  At this point I'd wager a good portion of your user base is Plexiles...  

I would assume they require the internet connection because their login system requires that anyway, making it a moot point. Not requiring and being to able to have a (somewhat) off the grid experience is something we like to promote as a benefit to using Emby.

I think once we get through the first few releases then you won't be feeling the anxiousness of the next release quite as much. if you look at the Samsung app for example, it was very similar. Initially we released, there were a few issues which took 2-3 releases, and after that everything settled down to the point where having a monthly release has not really been a problem.

• Like 2

Is there a way to add a Menu to Filter Movies by Rating (for Example PG, R or by FSK (in Germany)?

Hi, yes we'll add this in an upcoming update. Emby Theater on other platforms as already started to add filtering. Thanks.

• Like 1

CrappyUserName

Hi,

Thanks for this app. I was previously using LG's mediabrowser and synology's media server. Emby server on the NAS plus this app has certainly improved my viewing experience.

Just a couple of issues.

- Would it be possible to have an option to lower the volume or disable the beeps when browsing content.

- At the moment I use up direction on the remote to get the controls menu to come up during playback. I have noticed buttons on the remote will be supported on the next version. But the issue I'm having currently is when a show only has 30 seconds to go, the option comes up to go to the next episode or hide. When I select hide, sometimes this seems to disable the controls from coming up again when pushing up. This carries over to the next episode that automatically plays. To get the functionality back I have to press stop and select resume. Unfortunately it seems to be an intermittent thing, don't you love those?

- Since updating the app a couple of weeks ago, the skip chapter buttons no longer work |< and >| , the other skip buttons work fine still << and >>. I have double checked the video files to make sure they have chapters. This is for MKV files played natively, no transcoding applied. Unfortunately I had only used the option once before updating the app, I can't remember what file it was to double check it since updating..... so there is a possibility it was not the update at all and it's just some strange file issue. That probably doesn't help much sorry. I'll do a bit more testing on that one.

Sorry, probably not much help there with the info supplied. I will wait until the next version comes through and see if it still occurs.

I haven't gone for premier yet. I'm all for supporting good software but the price is a bit up there just to effectively remove a 10 sec delay every 24 hours. I don't need any of the other features. An extra pricing tier just to remove the 10 second delay would be great but I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that.

I'll give it a couple of months. If you get the app issues sorted out I'll probably hand over some hard earned. Hell, I forked out $80 this year watching Justice League and The Last Jedi at the cinema, and you guys deserve it more than they do for those pathetic movies.

Hi,

Thanks for this app. I was previously using LG's mediabrowser and synology's media server. Emby server on the NAS plus this app has certainly improved my viewing experience.

Just a couple of issues.

- Would it be possible to have an option to lower the volume or disable the beeps when browsing content.

- At the moment I use up direction on the remote to get the controls menu to come up during playback. I have noticed buttons on the remote will be supported on the next version. But the issue I'm having currently is when a show only has 30 seconds to go, the option comes up to go to the next episode or hide. When I select hide, sometimes this seems to disable the controls from coming up again when pushing up. This carries over to the next episode that automatically plays. To get the functionality back I have to press stop and select resume. Unfortunately it seems to be an intermittent thing, don't you love those?

- Since updating the app a couple of weeks ago, the skip chapter buttons no longer work |< and >| , the other skip buttons work fine still << and >>. I have double checked the video files to make sure they have chapters. This is for MKV files played natively, no transcoding applied. Unfortunately I had only used the option once before updating the app, I can't remember what file it was to double check it since updating..... so there is a possibility it was not the update at all and it's just some strange file issue. That probably doesn't help much sorry. I'll do a bit more testing on that one.

Sorry, probably not much help there with the info supplied. I will wait until the next version comes through and see if it still occurs.

I haven't gone for premier yet. I'm all for supporting good software but the price is a bit up there just to effectively remove a 10 sec delay every 24 hours. I don't need any of the other features. An extra pricing tier just to remove the 10 second delay would be great but I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that.

I'll give it a couple of months. If you get the app issues sorted out I'll probably hand over some hard earned. Hell, I forked out $80 this year watching Justice League and The Last Jedi at the cinema, and you guys deserve it more than they do for those pathetic movies.

• I believe the beep is being removed as it has been on some other platforms
  • For the playback buttons, see what the next release is like.
  • The |< and >| used to be skip chapter.  Apparently they are now being reconfigured to be prev/next track in Theatre.

Thanks for the feedback

Hi

I finally got time to set up my new Emby server and decided to try the new app for WebOS.
I've been following this thread but it's not quite clear to me if most files should direct play automatically or not in the current version?
Most files now direct play with all transcoding and re-encoding disabled for my user but then some files just crash the app.

Hi

I finally got time to set up my new Emby server and decided to try the new app for WebOS.

I've been following this thread but it's not quite clear to me if most files should direct play automatically or not in the current version?

Most files now direct play with all transcoding and re-encoding disabled for my user but then some files just crash the app.

Most files should direct play. If you're having an issue, please discuss an example and follow the guidelines in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 5 weeks later...

Any news and why lg have to take so long for app to be updated almost a month just for a update. Anthing we user can do to speed the process up.

I m active on Plex forums and the topic of the LG app came up in one conversation recently. They use 2 pieces for their app:

- "The launcher": That's what gets downloaded in the app store for almost all the "smart TVs". It (...) gets updated very infrequently because it hardly ever needs an update.

- "The core app/front end itself": That gets dynamically loaded from them when opening "the launcher" app. It (...) basically always gets the latest version every time the app is launched on the TV.

I don't know how this could be applied to Emby (which I much prefer at the moment), I thought I'd share this info anyway. In theory, that would allow Emby to push updates quickly.

Edited by Riusda

lateparty

I m active on Plex forums and the topic of the LG app came up in one conversation recently. They use 2 pieces for their app...

Luke has specified several timed that he believes the LG community values the fact that the app does not require a connection to the internet.

He could “easily” implement such a system or even one with quicker turnaround because LG give preference to such apps, but the app has been developed with the notion in mind that we don’t want one that “requires a connection to the internet”. It would be nice if we had a vote because I personally don’t care. If even one person doesn’t want it, then we should support that person because when the app does get to a stable and optimised state, and doesn’t need regular updates we won’t care either way.

For a brand new app it's normal to be anxious for the next version because you're waiting on playback issues to be resolved. Once that settles down I think a monthly update timeline will be just fine.

We actually have already implemented the loader/UI concept for other platforms using a feature called service worker. If LG WebOS ever supports that then we can plug that right in easily.

@lateparty: sorry, I don't read all the messages from Luke religiously. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am not sure I get your point, you need an internet connection at some point to download an update either way. Or do you mean that, with an app in 2 pieces like Plex, the LG Emby app would only work when connected to internet? If this is the case, then the current Emby design is better, no question.

@Luke: I don't know if I am anxious, but I am certainly too impatient like many of us users :-) The Emby LG app is relatively new, you guys released it late October, you already pushed a 2nd update in December, I have no doubt you will iron out all the little playback issues after a few releases. I see this as a minor problem in the end.

The following points have been addressed in previous posts of this thread, so I know they are already taken into account, this is what I personally would like to see in the app:

- play/pause/rewind/forward functions mapped to buttons mapped to remote

- subtitles showing in all cases. I understand server settings also matter, it doesn't only fall down on the app.

- key sounds that be turned off (when navigating TV screen)

- the possibility to set the default movie/TV Shows... view as unplayed. The unplayed/unwatched tab is just a couple of clicks away when navigating the screen, but the less I click the better. 90% of the time I head straight to that screen

- the ability to turn on/off and re-arrange the home screen subsections because I prefer less randomness. Some of the artwork look big maybe. Also not all artwork is available at decent resolution. Low res images on a 4K TV don't look great

Anyway, the app is already pretty solid and makes for a good user experience. It is responsive, uncluttered, a great 10 foot user interface.

Edited by Riusda

Or do you mean that, with an app in 2 pieces like Plex, the LG Emby app would only work when connected to internet?

Correct.

Correct.

I like the idea, however why not load the application portion from a known Emby installation. This would imply that the (local) server have the main part of the LG app.

The bootstrap part as described like Plex, only has the config where to find a Emby installation. So that way it is not mandatory to have a internet connection, however implicitly it does when the Emby installation is remote.

I think the current release intervals will be fine once the next release is out and most of the direct play / subtitle problems are resolved. thanks guys.

• 1 month later...
lateparty

Still only have access to version 1.0 - My family have asked a few times why I don't switch back to the "other one". It's really starting to feel like the cat in the "Hang In There, Baby" poster  :mellow: