Status on official LG app

jhs

Nostradamus1973

Hi SamES,🙂

I should have better explained what I meant when I was talking about purchasing another AVR, however I didn't wanna stray too far off topic.

IF and when I over-extend my wallet and totally tick-off my wife by dropping even more loot on an AVR, at that point I'll be grabbing another Intel NUC(as a Kubuntu HTPC) that can support 4K and atleast 7.1 channels or even better Atmos which shouldn't be hard to do(the harder part is paying for it, LOL), that way I can have it my way with all the different formats/containers supported, and then refrain from using the already slow WebOS that LG refuses to make developer friendly; honestly, waiting more than a year for LG to update their app is tantamount to being incompetent IMO, BUT, I won't go there, we'd have to start a separate therapy thread for all of us to dealing with this uneeded stress.

I'm totally disappointed about the LG approval process for app's, and I feel for the Emby staff for having to put out fire's they didn't even create or have anything to do with.😩

Edited by Nostradamus1973
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
SvenVR73

I don't understand what the problem is, since a lot of garbage apps end up in the LG content store anyway... There are a LOT of crappy IPTV apps that get approved full with bugs. Why is it so hard to get a professionally developed app like Emby updated in the LG content store ?

• Agree 4

Nostradamus1973

There was a WebOS update roughly a few days ago, I didn't even look to see if Emby was updated because I didn't wanna subject myself to that torture all over again.

I sure-as-heck know from this thread that the issue doesn't fall onto the Emby Development Team, they've tried everything in their power to rectify this horrible situation.

Does anyone think that maybe Emby is too bad-ass by offering more per-pound than its' main-stream app competitor's and I'm not just talking about Plex, I'm talking about the 'Big Dawg's' like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+; technically speaking, one could essentially discontinue using those said services and replace it with their own media, that may be perceived as a threat from "Big Media."

I think it's safe to say that IF people are getting shadow banned, blocked, and bounced for their views(and I don't care what side you fall on), then this could very well be a similar situation.

It would be nice to have someone on the inside who works for LG's WebOS division who could advocate for us, Emby is ubiquitous, so, maybe we could find someone who could be our benefactor.

Edited by Nostradamus1973
Grammatical error

skooogis

I dont get this.. How come Plex is regularly and Emby not?

I dont buy the reason above since they both offer basically the same thing.

Sort this out.

• Agree 3

Daicon
50 minutes ago, skooogis said:

I dont get this.. How come Plex is regularly and Emby not?

I dont buy the reason above since they both offer basically the same thing.

Sort this out.

The situation is regrettable to say the least.

The truth is that there are things that no longer stand on their own.
And I am almost certain that things are being hidden.

I feel sorry for @SamES and @Luke, but they have lost part of my trust.
You have been going on since before January with the same story, you are asked for a little transparency and you are back to the same thing.
You don't give details, you blame LG and that's it.Well, nope.

Sincerely I begin to think that something else is going on here, and the truth, I was waiting to buy the premiere subscription with this update release, but I'm almost sure I'm going to stay with the desire.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

unisoft

Look on the positive:

Emby hasn't stopped working on LG, its still working with newer server versions. Could be worse than just a wait for fixes or new stuff.

Agree over a year is far too long wait, but the dev did have to contend with DTS being dropped on newer models and code around it whilst still doing the planned changes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 6/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, Daicon said:

The situation is regrettable to say the least.

The truth is that there are things that no longer stand on their own.
And I am almost certain that things are being hidden.

I feel sorry for @SamES and @Luke, but they have lost part of my trust.
You have been going on since before January with the same story, you are asked for a little transparency and you are back to the same thing.
You don't give details, you blame LG and that's it.Well, nope.

Sincerely I begin to think that something else is going on here, and the truth, I was waiting to buy the premiere subscription with this update release, but I'm almost sure I'm going to stay with the desire.

Indeed, this is getting ridiculous. Problems can arise and issues can block updates, but all communication has been either ''it's coming soon'' or ''LG is the issue'' for over a year. If you ask me, this is no communication at all but just stalling. 

Most other Emby platforms have had an update and on the LG side, all my other apps had monthly updates in the same period Emby is trying to get one out. All issues that arise on these forums ''should be fixed in the next update'', which still has to manifest itself. At this point I no longer believe any update will fix any issues, let alone in a timely manner. What will happen when the promised update introduces a bug? Will we have to wait 12+ months again? Roll back? This makes me feel I no longer feel I can trust that the LG platform gets proper support. 

I have been Emby Premiere subscriber for almost a year because I wanted to support the development, but I won't renew my subscription again. I just don't feel that supported on my platform of choice and no longer trust that my subscription fee is going towards the development of my platform. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, unisoft said:

Emby hasn't stopped working on LG, its still working with newer server versions. Could be worse than just a wait for fixes or new stuff.

Only for those who could install it, all new LG TVs don't have Emby in the store at all.

• Like 1

neves000

I made the mistake of updating my LG TV recently, but for those who haven't, is it possible to jailbreak your TV with rootmy.tv and manually install a newer Emby package? Can Emby deliver this package outside of the LG store?

macnb

There's clearly an issue between Emby Devs/Organisation and LG.

Looks like Emby are not at liberty to tell us what's the problem which is a real shame as this situation undo's all the great work Emby has done.

Most likely a legal problem.

Even Emby alternative JellyFin (forked from Emby but open-sourced) do not have a Client for WebOS.

See here https://jellyfin.org/clients/ for their list of clients and for LG TV it states "coming soon" 

Maybe we can ask the JellyFin devs on Github what the issue is with LG client ?

unisoft
1 minute ago, macnb said:

There's clearly an issue between Emby Devs/Organisation and LG.

Looks like Emby are not at liberty to tell us what's the problem which is a real shame as this situation undo's all the great work Emby has done.

Most likely a legal problem.

Even Emby alternative JellyFin (forked from Emby but open-sourced) do not have a Client for WebOS.

See here https://jellyfin.org/clients/ for their list of clients and for LG TV it states "coming soon" 

Maybe we can ask the JellyFin devs on Github what the issue is with LG client ?

Why legal? Plex is in there and MANY IPTV clients (blatant what they are used for). Emby not supplying access to any media items for example. They use codecs built into TV player.

macnb
1 hour ago, unisoft said:

Why legal? Plex is in there and MANY IPTV clients (blatant what they are used for). Emby not supplying access to any media items for example. They use codecs built into TV player.

Legal issues between Emby and LG not legality of the usage of the App.

5 hours ago, xdwarfx said:

Well i am dumbstruck as Plex gets regurlar updates to the LG app except last year November and December. 

https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-for-webos-2-0-lg-4k-uhd-televisions/500637/41

https://forums.plex.tv/t/new-lg-webos-app-preview/609016/365

We are trying.  The other guys are pushing content now.  Something a company like LG understands and can make money from.

xdwarfx
19 hours ago, ebr said:

We are trying.  The other guys are pushing content now.  Something a company like LG understands and can make money from.

Did LG tell you that in order to update the Emby app, they want to get paid?

unisoft
On 22/06/2021 at 09:41, xdwarfx said:

Did LG tell you that in order to update the Emby app, they want to get paid?

Sounds like:

1. Plex pushes media content in their player and LG charges Plex as a media content service

2. Plex crying about Emby being available eating their market share

3. LG asking Emby to pay as well

Could be completely wrong though :)

Edited by unisoft

goenngoenn

It's just completely unfortunate but a lot of features from newer builds are something I'm missing dearly in my LG OLED and I just don't wanna hook up the shield again.

Not only auto transcoding of dts also subtitle offset and stuff like that.

I'm honestly thinking about leaving for the 'other side'... :(

chef

I just recently install the Emby app on my new LG 4K HDR smart tv.

It's working pretty good. It's the theater layout, not the android version (android is a better layout over all).

I did run into an issue with a 4k movie. I started to watch Avatar.

When the movie started, the subtitles we off time, so I turned them off, which in turn stopped the stream from transcoding on the server 

At that point there was no audio.

The audio in the mkv is True HD. I'm not sure what the issue is. 

I might connect my fire cube up to the tv because I miss the android layout so much 🤔👍

Over all the app is working so that is "sweet bananas"!😆

1 hour ago, goenngoenn said:

and I just don't wanna hook up the shield again

You have a Shield in a box somewhere and would rather use a totally different system than the best streaming device on the market?

• Like 1

goenngoenn
19 hours ago, ebr said:

You have a Shield in a box somewhere and would rather use a totally different system than the best streaming device on the market?

Yes I would. There are some things that bother me about using the shield.

Youtube not supporting HDR on the Shield so for Youtube HDR Content I still would have to use the Webos App. Than having to choose the Shield input on the TV and then starting Emby from the Android TV.

Also my Wife and Kids are using the TV and I'm already having a hard time explaining to her how to use the native emby app without extra steps.

I also think I had problems getting Dolby Vision to run on the Netflix Shield app.

That's why I ultimately chose to store the shield in the basement and just use the native LG Apps, because they just work.

To elaborate further: I used the Shield with Kodi, Netflix and all the stuff exclusively with my 'dumb' 1080p TV before I switched to the OLED. There things like Dolby vision and HDR haven't bothered me.

Edited by goenngoenn

Daicon
22 hours ago, ebr said:

¿Tiene un Shield en una caja en alguna parte y prefiere usar un sistema totalmente diferente al mejor dispositivo de transmisión del mercado?

It must be very bad when the administrators "recommend" SHIELD in favor of their LG emby application.....

:facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Daicon said:

It must be very bad when the administrators "recommend" SHIELD in favor of their LG emby application.....

Hi, sorry if it wasn't clear. He wasn't trying to recommend that you go out and buy a Shield. He was saying that to the user who happens to already have one. Like for example, I have pretty much every device on hand for testing, including a 2020 LG TV. Ignoring the Emby app for a moment, I would pretty much rather use any other device's menu system over that of LG, but that's just personal preference.

chef

Do you think that webos  would run the android app? I realize it is Linux based and probabaky doesn't understand apk.

57 minutes ago, Daicon said:

Hi.  I did not recommend buying a Shield.  I simply asked why they didn't want to use it.  Their answers were valid.