Status on official LG app

jhs

skooogis
12 minutes ago, deniscerri said:

Are there any new huge features that everyone makes such a fuss about? The app works fine as it is lol.

No it doesnt. If I watch something and doesnt finish it, I cant use "resume"-function. Thats one exemple. For some, the forward and rewind doesnt work either.

• Agree 1

deniscerri

What? If you want to resume something, just press the resume button not play. If you press play it starts over.
fast foward and rewind works too.

• Sad 1
  • Confused 1

goenngoenn
17 minutes ago, deniscerri said:

What? If you want to resume something, just press the resume button not play. If you press play it starts over.
fast foward and rewind works too.

Maybe that works for you but not for everyone. Don't assume things work for everyone just because they work for you.

Also they added auto reencode for dts audio as LGs don't have the codec.

Nostradamus1973

Same here, issues with resuming, skipping and etc with CERTAIN files, things just don't work like they're supposed to; I've noticed that the highly compressed files tend to do it more. For example, I was watching a *.mkv that was 1080p HDR with Atmos and it would play fine from the beginning, pausing or skipping ahead(or backwards) 10 seconds would lock it up and make my entire TV reboot. The same file played fine on my FireTV Cube 4K, FireTV stick 4K, Emby Theater(Ubuntu/1080p), and my old Roku TV(1080p), of note, media without HDR and Atmos on highly compressed files has the same action on the LG.

Most of us are here for bug fixes and compatibility issues, others, here for new features, I'm greedy, I want both!  Unfortunately we have neither and we've definitely been left in the wind by someone.
I've been thinking of calling LG and big time complaining and working my way up to someone who can help or be sympathetic to our needs. Maybe shaming them and pointing them to the insane amount of disgust we have over here in this thread would be a good start.

I'll let you know how it goes.....

coolspot

Short answer is there is enough issues that people are hopeful as the fixes have been implemented for peoples problems but LG doesn't approve.

For example...mine has to do with an issue with my LG TV and Sonos which would be resolved by a DTS option since Sonos doesn't support DTS and the app doesn't necessarily see that.

Others have their own reasons.

Edited by coolspot

HolyGigi
23 hours ago, deniscerri said:

Are there any new huge features that everyone makes such a fuss about? The app works fine as it is lol.

It doesn't work fine, if it would we wouldn't want an update.

If you watch high bitrate media, the app will crash and restart. Not what you want in the middle of your movie. Guess there's a memory leak somewhere since the TV runs out of RAM, closes all applications and then I have to restart Emby. Plus a lot of annoyances, like not remembering the audio track selected across multiple TV episodes.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
coolspot

This might help as a lot of people having issues with Emby and LG Tv's happen to have Sonos's and I know DTS can be a major reason why Emby has problems not knowing it needed to transcode....perhaps this will help.

Supposedly Sonos Playbars (along with others) support DTS!

Edited by coolspot
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, coolspot said:

This might help as a lot of people having issues with Emby and LG Tv's happen to have Sonos's and I know DTS can be a major reason why Emby has problems not knowing it needed to transcode....perhaps this will help.

Supposedly Sonos Playbars (along with others) support DTS!

If you're waiting for an update, sit tight.

Nostradamus1973

Thanks for the FYI

As far as I know, it doesn't matter that Emby and Sonos support DTS/DTS-HD MA, it's LG that doesn't. But, DTS and DTS-HD MA are very different and I THOUGHT(I could be wrong) we were looking for DTS-HD MA support from LG. This matter initially had my attention, but now I'm more concerned with Emby just working.

I just went to watch an episode of Boardwalk Empire on my LG TV today and couldn't fast forward or reverse my encoded file, yet it works on all my other platforms/devices, that really irritates me.

zuberilol

I bought a 55nanotpa75

Because of the native emby app support. 

Set up my TV searched for emby in the appstore with no app search results found only YouTube vids.

I was very confused and then I found this thread. Fun times.

Looks like I'll have to buy a crappy Firestick to make do.

HolyGigi

Guess this is my saying goodby to Emby, at least for now. Just got an LG C1 TV and the Emby app is not present in the store. 

Been happily using Emby and recommending it to everyone I know for the past 2 years, but now I'm forced to switch to Plex simply because I can install that on my new TV. 

I really don't understand the zero communication from the Emby staff when it comes to the status of the app on the LG store. It's been almost 2 years since the last update and all we get is "we're working on it, sit tight". I know you probably don't care since I already paid for a lifetime subscription, but reading this thread makes me think I'm not the only one leaving. 

coolspot

With all the people that will be buying TV's, they really should remove LG on the list of supported platforms if they haven't already.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:01 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we are working on getting an update for this app released. Thanks.

Work has not been going well lately, eh?

• Haha 1

plittlefield
1 hour ago, HolyGigi said:

Guess this is my saying goodby to Emby, at least for now. Just got an LG C1 TV and the Emby app is not present in the store. 

Been happily using Emby and recommending it to everyone I know for the past 2 years, but now I'm forced to switch to Plex simply because I can install that on my new TV. 

I really don't understand the zero communication from the Emby staff when it comes to the status of the app on the LG store. It's been almost 2 years since the last update and all we get is "we're working on it, sit tight". I know you probably don't care since I already paid for a lifetime subscription, but reading this thread makes me think I'm not the only one leaving. 

Honestly, if you can afford an LG C1 (not a cheap television) then do yourself a favour and pay out £30 for a Roko 4K HDR Streaming Stick which is very well supported and plays flawlessly all my content from Emby.

Yes, yes, I know it's another remote and you can say "well, I shouldn't have to" but life moves on and that Roku stick is superb.

Do NOT go to Plex for God's sake! I jumped ship to Emby from Plex a year ago and have not had a single problem.

I use a Samsung TV and ditched the Samsung Smart TV Emby app because of problems... but the Roku Team at Emby are very good and keep things up-to-date.

No, I don't work for Roku 🙂

Edited by plittlefield
  • Like 1

HolyGigi
13 minutes ago, plittlefield said:

Honestly, if you can afford an LG C1 (not a cheap television) then do yourself a favour and pay out £30 for a Roko 4K HDR Streaming Stick which is very well supported and plays flawlessly all my content from Emby.

Yes, yes, I know it's another remote and you can say "well, I shouldn't have to" but life moves on and that Roku stick is superb.

Do NOT go to Plex for God's sake! I jumped ship to Emby from Plex a year ago and have not had a single problem.

I use a Samsung TV and ditched the Samsung Smart TV Emby app because of problems... but the Roku Team at Emby are very good and keep things up-to-date.

No, I don't work for Roku 🙂

The extra remote is very annoying, but also the fact that I have to purchase a new item that will end up in a landfill somewhere in a few years. 

But most annoying is the lack of communication here. Just saying "sry guys, from now on, EMBY is no longer officially supported on LG TVs" would have been way better. Instead, we're in this weird state where having an old LG TV is fine, but then when you decide to upgrade and you expect stuff to just work, well, it doesn't. 

Especially when right on the front page of emby.com I can see this "Your personal media on any device" 

plittlefield

Yeah, it is frustrating... the constant cycle of upgrade and break, upgrade and break 🙂

I am using a 5 year old Samsung 49" TV that is lovely and Emby works a treat on the Roku stick plugged in to it, which passes through DTS to my surround sound kit.

I would love an LG C1 but worried about the jump!

"If it ain't broke... don't fix it."

Edited by plittlefield

Hello I am about to purchase the LG OLED 65A1 but in the show room we cold not locate the emby app in the LG app store. Please advice as this is a no deal for me. We are located in Greece

I need an answer asap as I was about to purchase the unit today and I got this unpleasant surprise....

The app is not available for newer LG TV's at this time. You can find lots of posts about this in the forums. You'd need to use a different streaming device to access emby until the app shows up. It might be next week or 2023... 

plittlefield

That wouldn't stop me from buying an LG G1 on Black Friday 🙂

I'd just use the flawless Emby app on a Roku Streaming Stick+ in one of the 4 HDMI ports and crack on with 4K HDR content!

Who care if it's another remote 🤷‍♂️ ? If it gives me the picture and sound quality from my Emby server, that's all that really matters.

In fact, you could just use your mobile phone with the Roku app and do it that way if the extra remote bothered you 😉

Edited by plittlefield
  • Like 2

smgsmagus

take the G1 as it's really good, but Emby's "we're working on it" and "will be available soon" heard for months without any details is a shame. I don't know how crappy apps can come up to the LG store, but this one not... I'm already on 2021 LG model for 6 months or so and I'm tired of looking for the app with neverending hope. I doubt it will ever happen looking at the progress here which basically means no progress at all from 1,5 year.

neves000

Emby devs, please post a clear and complete timeline of the procedures performed to publish the app to the LG store. If you have any email exchanges with LG, please post them as well. This may put a little pressure on LG...

• Like 1

e2zippo

Guys, I get that you're frustrated that the emby app on LG is kind of crappy on LG tv's right now, but to leave emby or not buy an amazing OLED because of this is just stupid.

There are so many options where you can run emby outside of the TV. IMO Kodi is amazing when you use emby as backend, it works so good. I run an Odroid N2+ and Coreelec, that connect that to emby. 

I would also love to have the app fixed, but calm down guys.

David Patt

Problem is it should work without more software or hardware. Either way it lose its simple start app , select what you wanna watch. It is now more easier way to copy movie or whatever you want watch to USB stisk and play it from it. It is like returning to Stone age. 

From Emby developers is now very misleading that LG tvs are supported.