Status on official LG app

jhs

Nostradamus1973

Good morning everyone,

I've been waiting for this update for quite a while now and at times I've even thought about dumping my LG for a Samsung just outta Spite! My thoughts reflect back on all the updates that could have been pushed to the application since the last revision submission to LG by the Emby  Dev-Team (back in February of 2020); the whole process at LG is shoddy at best and I whole-heartedly believe that it's NOT the Emby development team that's dragging its' bun's. 

That being said, is there a help-line where all of us from this forum can crowd-source and submit constructive criticism to LG and let them know about our frustrations?

I'm thinking if they keep getting inundated with calls, emails, and etc from LG owner's they are more likely to do something about it. Are there any moderator's/user's that know of a way for us to do this?

I also had another question, will this update that we are all eagerly waiting for be able to play DTS-HD MA(7.1)? Or just DTS(5.1)? Many of my rips are DTS-HD MA, so, I've been muxing them to EAC3 with ffmpeg; however, without Dolby's DTS-HD Master Audio Suite I can only mux them to 5.1 channel's, keeping the 7.1 format would be ideal and save me lots of aggravation.

Thanks for hearing me out.🙂

• Agree 1

rbjtech
4 hours ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

I also had another question, will this update that we are all eagerly waiting for be able to play DTS-HD MA(7.1)? Or just DTS(5.1)? Many of my rips are DTS-HD MA, so, I've been muxing them to EAC3 with ffmpeg; however, without Dolby's DTS-HD Master Audio Suite I can only mux them to 5.1 channel's, keeping the 7.1 format would be ideal and save me lots of aggravation.

Even if you could convert to 7.1, how are you playing it ?   I'm curious as anything that can likely play 7.1 can probably play native DTS-HD MA anyway - maybe not ?

Edited by rbjtech

Nostradamus1973

Hi rbjtech, thx for adding to the convo.🙂

I hope I understood your questions properly, so, if I got it wrong please let me know.

Well, I play Audio & Video through my Pioneer SC-1222, it can handle anything up to the 7.2.2 format; it can process many different formats, so far I've used it with 7.1 DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, AAC , plus Atmos, and 5.1 AC3, EAC3, and AAC, I can't remember using any EAC3 7.1 files  even though I'm pretty sure EAC3 does support 7.1; I also have an Intel NUC setup as an HTPC(Ubuntu running Emby Theater) and it can handle 7.1 channels which it does flawlessly with ANY format I've thrown at it so far through my Pioneer SC-1222(as an intermediary) via HDMI, if you're wondering why I just don't stick with my Intel NUC, it's because it can only handle 1080p whereas my LG is 4K, given that my receiver can only handle 1080p I'm using ARC in concert with the now notorious LG WebOS referenced from the OP in order to use my audio receiver.

So, to your second question, my receiver can certainly handle those 7.1 formats via different audio containers(DTS-HD MA, AAC, EAC3, AC3, flac, Opus, mp3, and etc.), the problem lies with the LG WebOS application and their submission process, it's my understanding that the development team has updated the application to play DTS and hopefully DTS-HD MA, once the latest revision is approved and deployed then hopefully this whole DTS debacle will be put to rest because my other Emby applications on various different devices seems to handle DTS-HD MA natively like you mentioned, another example in support of your statement would be my FireTV Cube.

rbjtech

With you - thanks for taking the time to explain.

So you have an awesome AVR capable of playing anything but your weak link is the LG ARC connection and the lack of 4K passthrough on the AVR.

Even when (and if) the Emby LG App is updated, the LG is incapable of sending any form of HD Audio to your AVR ... :(   Even via eARC (which your AVR does not have and your LG may not either - not sure of the model) it still does not appear to work.

With no 4K passthrough on the AVR - I think the only possible solution is to get a HDMI 'doubler/repeater' and pass the 4K from the NUC direct to the TV AND the AVR at the same time.    You will then get HD Audio without the need for ARC/eARC and of course the 4K Video stream direct to your LG.

I've not personally used this device - but HDMI splitters are not as expensive as they used to be - something like a OREI UltraHD 4K @ 60 Hz 1 X 2 HDMI Splitter should do the job.

It would be a shame to not give that Pioneer AVR a proper HD Audio feed !

SamES
9 hours ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

And I think your bigger problem here is which model TV do you have as LG (like Samsung) have dropped all DTS support in recent models so there is absolutely nothing we can do about that other than to automatically convert the track to AC3 so that it is supported by the device for those models.

neik

@SamES, do you know if the recent models are at least able to passthrough DTS(HD)?

I will probably be buying a G1 later this year but the non-existing DTS support is an annoyance. On the other hand that OLED panel.. 😍

SamES
1 hour ago, neik said:

@SamES, do you know if the recent models are at least able to passthrough DTS(HD)?

I will probably be buying a G1 later this year but the non-existing DTS support is an annoyance. On the other hand that OLED panel.. 😍

As far as I’m aware they can’t pass through either 

• Like 1

unisoft
12 hours ago, SamES said:

As far as I’m aware they can’t pass through either 

The last panels to support DTS pass through were the 2016 models (sold during 2017) like OLEDB6, OLEDC6V (Last 3D model), I need to replace my panel in next 3-4 years so really hoping LG support it again too....

• Like 1

rbjtech
22 minutes ago, unisoft said:

The last panels to support DTS pass through were the 2016 models (sold during 2017) like OLEDB6, OLEDC6V (Last 3D model), I need to replace my panel in next 3-4 years so really hoping LG support it again too....

I believe the last model to support DTS is the C9.

• Like 1

Malmgren

Could we please hold on to the subject of the thread and discuss audio formats elsewhere? I'm subscribing to this thread because I'm interested in the status of the Emby app but I don't have the slightest interest in like the ten latest posts in the thread...

Edited by Malmgren
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

rbjtech

lol - so if you have subscribed to this thread for LG Updates then you'll be sadly disappointed - as the last update was 14+ months ago.   Half of the 28+ pages of this thread are 'it's on it's way' - the other half are 'why does DTS not work' ... 

• Like 1

Daicon
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

lol - so if you have subscribed to this thread for LG Updates then you'll be sadly disappointed - as the last update was 14+ months ago.   Half of the 28+ pages of this thread are 'it's on it's way' - the other half are 'why does DTS not work' ... 

@SamES @Luke

I really, sorry to reiterate.
Please can you give MORE / ANOTHER explanation?
I know you already commented on the issue, but it's a LONG time ago.

It is shocking what is going on with the LG customer.
A lot of people are paying or have paid a lot of money to have emby premiere, I think they at least deserve to know what is going on.

• Like 1

KRULL

21 hours ago, unisoft said:

Nope, the last ones to support DTS were the 2019 "9" range, C9, B9, G9 etc...

SamES
16 minutes ago, KRULL said:

Nope, the last ones to support DTS were the 2019 "9" range, C9, B9, G9 etc..

That's correct

Nostradamus1973

Sorry for the late response, I had my 2nd Covid Vaccine(Pfizer) on Monday and was flat on my back for the last 2 days. 

I had forgotten that ARC was limited to DTS(5.1) channels(with a max transfer rate of 3.0 Mbps), so, I'll have to accept the shortcomings of my AVR, BUT, after reading on this thread that LG isn't supporting DTS anymore means that I need to start thinking about buying a new AVR.

That extra $50-$75 for a comparable Samsung TV model would have been absolutely worth it, instead of dishing out another $3,000 for a new AVR.

Live and learn I guess, thx LG

I'd like to personally thank everyone for bringing me up-to-speed regarding this debacle.

Have a great day.

SamES

Samsung stopped supporting DTS in 2018, so you would have been no better off...

SamES
7 hours ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

Thx SamES for that info👍, I guess I'll be budgeting for a new AVR next year.😩

Before you spend all that $$, how will a new AVR help?

neves000

Please, open a new thread, you are not talking about the status of the official LG app.

coolspot

While I don't want this threat to get too offtopic.  I think the DTS conversation is related to a lot of our interest in waiting for the update.   That's why those topics came up anyway.

Daicon

Since my messages seem to be ignored....
I will ask directly in general.

Does anyone know and want to say what is going on?

I think that 2 months after the last "official statement" is more than enough time to at least get some new news, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't know... I don't think we are asking for anything strange.

3 hours ago, unisoft said:

All together now; "Why are we waiting, why....." 😛

2 hours ago, Daicon said:

Since my messages seem to be ignored....
I will ask directly in general.

Does anyone know and want to say what is going on?

I think that 2 months after the last "official statement" is more than enough time to at least get some new news, isn't it?

Anyway, I don't know... I don't think we are asking for anything strange.

Hi.  We've tried to explain this a couple of times but the issue is that absolutely everything has to be exactly correct before we attempt another submission.  If we submit and someone who doesn't understand what this app is (pretty much every reviewer in every store we deal with) stumbles on something and rejects it, the app could be completely removed and you won't have it at all.

Please bear with us.  Thanks.

Daicon
On 3/31/2021 at 11:02 PM, SamES said:

No, as soon as LG release it

52 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We've tried to explain this a couple of times but the issue is that absolutely everything has to be exactly correct before we attempt another submission.  If we submit and someone who doesn't understand what this app is (pretty much every reviewer in every store we deal with) stumbles on something and rejects it, the app could be completely removed and you won't have it at all.

Please bear with us.  Thanks.

I understand...

In other words, we are still at the same point.
But as I said, some news was not given correctly.
For example, and I quote from SamEs message

on March 31 he indicated that the update was under review.
Being this message after the explanation where it is said that there was already the possibility that the application would be rejected forever.

That is to say, I understand that you have been rejected again, and possibly you are under more pressure than before.

😞

Anyway, I find it unbelievable on LG's part that users can't have a say in this application.
This is not Netflix, it's not HBO... but fuck... this app is used by a lot of people. Isn't there an LG forum where we can put pressure on the users?

In the end the idea is to try to help and not just leave it in the hands of some reviewers who don't understand the app.