[feature request] disable camera upload

darkassassin07

GreatFlashMan
48 minutes ago, neik said:

+1

There are people that want to keep their data more private and therefore is feature is quite nice, so everything is locally.

If you are running a NAS or similar, there are a lot of far more capable solutions.

GreatFlashMan

personally, if it was me on the code, i would remove it totally. That's a quick fix,

But, to add a per user setting (like has been requested for playlists), then we could be waiting a VERY long time to see it implemented.

53 minutes ago, GreatFlashMan said:

personally, if it was me on the code, i would remove it totally. That's a quick fix,

If removing is fixing then Emby could close their doors...

Edited by neik

GreatFlashMan
21 minutes ago, neik said:

If removing is fixing then Emby could close their doors...

As I said,  like Playlists, this really should be a per user setting. Saying that, even Plex added this at one point, it wan't great, other services did it better, and was removed - no, they have not closed their doors.

Happy2Play

The grey area of disable Camera Uploads Globally, per user, per device or all of the above.  But a quick fix for one is not a fix for all.

But I guess a workaround could be making the upload folder read only. 

• Like 1

GreatFlashMan
5 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

The grey area of disable Camera Uploads Globally, per user, per device or all of the above.  But a quick fix for one is not a fix for all.

Per user would be the way to go imho. It could easily leverage the option that already exists. IE. Turn off camera uploads as a library option. With it off. Uploads are disabled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
acnp77

I would very much like to see the feature removed also. Or at least the ability to disable it completely.

1. The camera upload feature is not thought through IMHO. Emby server is meant to host my own content, and not to host content of multiple users - (or am I mistaken here?) Camera upload totally breaks this concept.

2. I find it unacceptable to have a server without the possibility to prevent a user from uploading content.

3. And yes, one request is not more important than another, but seriously, this is a major issue. I would be interested in some devs opinion here, Cheers - Love Emby anyway :)

• Agree 1

acnp77

Idea: If I create a job on my server to delete an uploaded foto, and if necessary, create an empty file with the same filename as the deleted foto, how would the client react?

Could this be a temp workaround?

Thanks

Edited by acnp77

9 hours ago, acnp77 said:

Idea: If I create a job on my server to delete an uploaded foto, and if necessary, create an empty file with the same filename as the deleted foto, how would the client react?

Could this be a temp workaround?

Thanks

Just deleting is enough.

• Like 1

edu3com
9 hours ago, acnp77 said:

Eu gostaria muito de ver o recurso removido também. Ou pelo menos a capacidade de desativá-lo completamente.

1. O recurso de upload da câmera não foi pensado pela IMHO. O servidor Emby foi criado para hospedar meu próprio conteúdo e não para hospedar conteúdo de vários usuários - (ou estou enganado aqui?) O upload da câmera quebra totalmente esse conceito.

2. Acho inaceitável ter um servidor sem a possibilidade de impedir que um usuário faça upload de conteúdo.

3. E sim, um pedido não é mais importante que o outro, mas falando sério, esse é um problema importante. Eu estaria interessado na opinião de alguns desenvolvedores aqui, Felicidades - Amo Emby de qualquer maneira:)

A tempo que espero por esse funcionalidade, mais pelo visto acho quê nao veremos essa funcionalidade no emby tão cedo 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
darkassassin07
On 1/31/2023 at 7:16 PM, Happy2Play said:

@luke explicitly cautioned against this over 2 years ago leaving us with no solution since this was first asked comming up on 6 years ago now. Just the same 'yeah, well get there' response over and over again.

If a user enables camera uploads on their device (maybe intentionally maybe not), their device will now upload all of their past and future photos to your server, possibly without them being aware of it, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it except disable that user entirely until they fix the problem themselves while you clean up the mess it's made.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Agree 1

acnp77

@LukeBy all means, in the year 2023 with all the awareness for data protection, security and privacy rising (which is a good thing) this feature can not stand like this anymore. Please, please, please address this subject urgently. CHEERS

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
redjacket69

I am getting tired of deleting camera uploads library. kindly add an option to disable it globally

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
redjacket69
On 4/8/2023 at 4:33 PM, acnp77 said:

@LukeBy all means, in the year 2023 with all the awareness for data protection, security and privacy rising (which is a good thing) this feature can not stand like this anymore. Please, please, please address this subject urgently. CHEERS

On 2/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, GreatFlashMan said:

Per user would be the way to go imho. It could easily leverage the option that already exists. IE. Turn off camera uploads as a library option. With it off. Uploads are disabled. 

On 3/19/2023 at 8:39 PM, Luke said:

Just deleting is enough.

as i run emby behind a reverse proxy in caddy, my solution for this is to block "/emby/Devices/CameraUploads*" path in caddy. here's my caddy file example...

example.com {   
    tls contact@example.com    
    reverse_proxy 127.0.0.1:8096 
  @blocked {
  path /emby/Devices/CameraUploads*
  }
  respond @blocked 403
}

It can be done on nginx too. If you use cloudflare, you can use WAF to block this also. it seem to work on the little testing i did.

Anyone from the emby team can help me on how the emby app will react when it receives a 403 response? will it try again and again???

• Like 1

acnp77

@LukeHi. How would the apps react when blocking the upload path? - What would be a suitable workaroud? - We really need to be able to stop users uploading to the server.

Thanks.

GreatFlashMan
3 hours ago, acnp77 said:

@LukeHi. How would the apps react when blocking the upload path? - What would be a suitable workaroud? - We really need to be able to stop users uploading to the server.

Thanks.

like you, I wish this was added as a global or per-user option to DISABLE. I would love to turn it off, kids keep uploading and it's driving me nuts to keep sorting it out. God, their photos are already on Google cloud anyway.

Edited by GreatFlashMan
  • Like 2

Warzonefury

It's true that this feature is totally useless, just very annoying. I hope it will be in the next update, this kind of problem can make me quit the application. 🤨

redjacket69
3 hours ago, acnp77 said:

Thanks.

worse, i don't think there is any straight forward way to find which user actually uploaded

acnp77

My 2 main points are:

1. Emby Server is to share my media. It is not for users having their own content. Having user accounts with their own content would be something completely different.

2. Not being able to prevent users from uploading to my server is an absolute no-go.

The only reason I say this is because I really love Emby and would like to continue to use it and share with others.

Addressing this fundamental issue would be very much appreciated and would allow me to finally actually share my library with others. - CHEERS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

redjacket69
On 8/9/2023 at 12:51 PM, redjacket69 said:

as i run emby behind a reverse proxy in caddy, my solution for this is to block "/emby/Devices/CameraUploads*" path in caddy. here's my caddy file example...

example.com {   
    tls contact@example.com    
    reverse_proxy 127.0.0.1:8096 
  @blocked {
  path /emby/Devices/CameraUploads*
  }
  respond @blocked 403
}

It can be done on nginx too. If you use cloudflare, you can use WAF to block this also. it seem to work on the little testing i did.

Anyone from the emby team can help me on how the emby app will react when it receives a 403 response? will it try again and again???

My emby servers ram usages spikes after doing that. I am not sure if it is for this or some plugin update they did. emby beta  4.8.0.39

redjacket69
On 8/11/2023 at 11:45 AM, redjacket69 said:

My emby servers ram usages spikes after doing that. I am not sure if it is for this or some plugin update they did. emby beta  4.8.0.39

the ram usages was because of the playback reporting plugin update. uninstalling it fixed it

blocking upload path seems to be working. And seems to be doing ok, at least on server side of things.

• 5 weeks later...

The ability to restrict this per user will be in Emby Server 4.8. It will require both the updated server and updated apps. Thanks everyone.

• Thanks 4

22 hours ago, Luke said:

The ability to restrict this per user will be in Emby Server 4.8. It will require both the updated server and updated apps. Thanks everyone.

This is fantastic. Thank you very much! :)

What happens if I update the server but the user does not update the app? - Will the user still be able to upload?

3 minutes ago, acnp77 said:

This is fantastic. Thank you very much! :)

What happens if I update the server but the user does not update the app? - Will the user still be able to upload?

Yes it will be fine to upload, but if you restrict their access without the updated app it might just keep retrying relentlessly due to it not being aware of the restriction.

• Thanks 1