[feature request] disable camera upload

darkassassin07

Hi, Out of curiosity have you tried this

image.thumb.png.a6a56d6681bbf067a2c8dc9f3165f321.png

If you don't want any camera uploads for anyone have you tried pointing the "Camera upload path:" to a read only folder? EDIT don't do this.

Edited by cayars

So lets get down to the bottom of this problem.  Everyone is asking that we have a way to disable the camera feature completely on server side.  Which i also agree should be an option.  I live in Canada but my family is down in NJ.  But its not like i can drive there and show them how to disable that feature on their phone or tablets.  And my dad is not very tech savvy at all.  It would make it very easy to have this feature server side.  Yet i still don't know why in 2 years of yes we will add that it still hasn't been put in.   Seems like a very easy feature to add/or maybe even remove completely.  Please feel free to explain. 

• Like 3

neik
11 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Out of curiosity have you tried this

image.thumb.png.a6a56d6681bbf067a2c8dc9f3165f321.png

I think you are missing the point here, aren't you?
People are asking for the ability to block camera uploads not to hide them. Even if they are hidden they can still be uploaded and consume disk space for instance.

1 hour ago, Gods said:

Seems like a very easy feature to add/or maybe even remove completely.

I don't think removing is the way to go...

Nope, not missing the point at all "Disable on the Server" or "Disable per user".

I was just suggesting maybe an alternate way "for now" to achieve this but obviously wasn't a good idea according to Luke.

• Agree 1

neik
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Nope, not missing the point at all "Disable on the Server" or "Disable per user".

If you say so, Carlo...

Not going to really care about this as I don't have these issues with my users.

We need the option to turn this off.  No question about it.

My attempt to give a possible solution (short term) is what was faulted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
darkassassin07
On 4/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, Luke said:

Don't do that. It will just cause the apps to keep retrying over and over.

Then maybe you should put in a real solution instead of ignoring this for years. 

How hard is it to add a permission to check if the user uploading is allowed to upload or not? 

This is why I've abandoned this forum; you talk and talk but rarely actually consider solutions to peoples problems. 

Downloads are a half baked god awful mess, you still cant shuffle now playing like every other music player in existence, there's no control as an admin over uploads, users constantly get 'no streams available' with absolutely no reasoning or steps for a solution just wait and hope, xbox updates happen constantly with no actual progress and locking up the whole app while in use. 

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
ebps01

Seria bom poder desativar o  upload da câmera para os usuário mandar fotos para o servidor  

rechigo
7 hours ago, embyplus said:

Seria bom poder desativar o  upload da câmera para os usuário mandar fotos para o servidor  

It would be very nice, but it doesn't look like we will be getting it any time soon. The only solution I have that is working for now is to remove any directories in my camera upload folder that aren't my device as a nightly task. Works well enough, shouldn't need to be done though for something as simple as a damn toggle switch on the user settings page.

Toggle on user settings page -> Allow Camera Uploads

Mobile clients make a request to an API which tells them whether or not they have permission to upload images, if they do, let them enable it, if they don't, turn it off and prevent future uploads.

A bit oversimplified but it's really not that large of a feature to implement

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
embyuser24

It's been over 3 years since the request was posted originally and no actual solution on the server end is available to us yet. 

Today I noticed that some random images were uploaded to the server, I checked with the user and the "Upload to Server" was not even enabled on their iOS device.

Regardless of that I would really like the option to disable this feature entirely on the server for everyone similar to "Allow audio playback that requires transcoding" or any other feature that is toggleable on the server without having to fiddle with the settings of each user's device.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today I created a feature request for the same topic without realizing this topic has been submitted since 2017, and I can't believe it's still here - not resolved.

I don't really need this Camera Upload feature but it is currently enabled by default on server-side, and it is really easy for the user to trigger the upload from the client-side mobile app. The ask is very simple: to have a button on server-side that we can disable/enable this feature. All client-side apps should not upload anything if the server-side configuration says this feature is disabled. To give more proper control, we shall have the enable/disable button per user account, rather than allowing all users to have that option enabled by default.

To me, this feature is totally optional in Emby. I believe the media file upload/edit/delete shall be done from the server side (via browser), not from the mobile app. The mobile app shall remain as a "viewer-only" mode for all time. Now it is more like a security vulnerability - any user can accidentally trigger a massive files upload and I (as Emby admin) have no way to stop it unless I remove that user or shutdown the Emby server.

If a feature introduce security risks and we don't have a control over it, this feature shall be removed or at least disabled.

Is there any update from the development team? I am on version 4.6.7 Emby Server, and the problem is still here. Are we getting any updates for release 4.7.0 possibly?

Edited by chj915

InsaneJester
10 hours ago, chj915 said:

Today I created a feature request for the same topic without realizing this topic has been submitted since 2017, and I can't believe it's still here - not resolved.

I don't really need this Camera Upload feature but it is currently enabled by default on server-side, and it is really easy for the user to trigger the upload from the client-side mobile app. The ask is very simple: to have a button on server-side that we can disable/enable this feature. All client-side apps should not upload anything if the server-side configuration says this feature is disabled. To give more proper control, we shall have the enable/disable button per user account, rather than allowing all users to have that option enabled by default.

To me, this feature is totally optional in Emby. I believe the media file upload/edit/delete shall be done from the server side (via browser), not from the mobile app. The mobile app shall remain as a "viewer-only" mode for all time. Now it is more like a security vulnerability - any user can accidentally trigger a massive files upload and I (as Emby admin) have no way to stop it unless I remove that user or shutdown the Emby server.

If a feature introduce security risks and we don't have a control over it, this feature shall be removed or at least disabled.

Is there any update from the development team? I am on version 4.6.7 Emby Server, and the problem is still here. Are we getting any updates for release 4.7.0 possibly?

You got a better chance of meeting god and having him fix it before they will.  It is listed as such a low priority or they don't really see the issue with it.  I am just glad i didn't choose to pay monthly for this.   As i would of stopped paying a long time ago and went back to plex.  Instead i got roped into buying the lifetime when it was like half price before they gave this feature. 

Hey when you see god put in a good word for me lol

Junglejim

I only see this as a problem to peeps that think there Netflix! Personally I don't share my library with anyone that is not on my local network. I do agree though, camera crap does not belong on this server, there so many better options to share your photos! Emby should loose this feature all together!

• 1 month later...

@Luke
From my point of view the camera upload feature is not thought through at all. Emby server is meant to host my own content, and not to host content of multiple users. Camera upload totally breaks this concept.
But much more important, for so many reasons it is absolutely unacceptable to have a server without the possibility to prevent a user from uploading content. The missing server-side control over this needs to be considered a major bug and needs to be corrected asap.
Please at least explain to the community why this has been ignored for years. Thanks.

Edited by acnp77

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Happy2Play
On 2/20/2022 at 10:46 AM, darkassassin07 said:

4 years and its the same damn response. 

I'll believe it when I see it. 

Nothing happens overnight and no option is more important then the next.  It will happen when it happens.😁

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
GreatFlashMan
On 11/02/2022 at 01:18, Luke said:

We'll be adding more server control over this. Thanks for the feedback.

Don't mean to be a pain, but any news on this?

Personally, I would love to see the feature(?) totally removed, but at the very least, at least the ability to turn off a users ability to upload.

I only share with family and a couple of friends, but even my kids (9 and 10) who use Emby for their kids programmes have enabled it, and it's a pain to stop it as it will continue to upload from their phones. And blurry pictures of thumbs and cats are not something i want on the server lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

Don't mean to be a pain, but any news on this?

Personally, I would love to see the feature(?) totally removed, but at the very least, at least the ability to turn off a users ability to upload.

I only share with family and a couple of friends, but even my kids (9 and 10) who use Emby for their kids programmes have enabled it, and it's a pain to stop it as it will continue to upload from their phones. And blurry pictures of thumbs and cats are not something i want on the server lol.

Hi, I don't an update yet, but it's on the todo list.

• Like 2

GreatFlashMan

Thanks. 

It's one of them things that was perhaps a good idea at the time. 

Now with all the cloud solutions etc it's both worthless and pointless. 

Personally. I would just remove camera uploading. I cannot think there really is anyone that uses it? Is there?

adamstewiegreen
14 hours ago, GreatFlashMan said:

Please don't totally remove this feature.  It's my family's version of Google Photos since Google capped the storage for it .  😂

Edited by adamstewiegreen
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, adamstewiegreen said:

Please don't totally remove this feature.  It's my family's version of Google Photos since Google capped the storage for it .  😂

+1

There are people that want to keep their data more private and therefore is feature is quite nice, so everything is locally.