[feature request] disable camera upload

darkassassin07

darkassassin07

I would like the ability to disable the camera upload feature, both per-user and globally.

It seems odd to me that that isn't already there as far as I can find...

Sure I could just not use it, but that depends on trust that your other users wont decide to enable it, as the only on/off is in each users personal preferences.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 21
  • Agree 1

• 9 months later...
AnomalousTech

I'm surprised this didn't get responses on it.

I second this majorly. Recently I had a user of my server enable this feature on his Android App by mistake. As he did not have access to the folder Camera Upload he did not see that he enabled this. It was not discovered till I was performing some maintenance on my server and noticed he had uploaded his entire phone's photo library to my server. 

This is a feature I would like to be able to stop the use of.

If the feature was more tuned and further developed to include that the uploaded items were only seen by the profile/user that uploaded it, then that might be a reason for me to enable it. Basically offering the ability to use my server as a private cloud backup. But as it is that anyone with access to the Camera Upload photo would see anyone's photos this is not something I want people to be able to accidently enable.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
suppervinny

Yes I think this is a good idea.

I need the camera upload feature to have globally disable option. And it has to be urgently, it is inadmissible not to have this option, other users can see photos of another, and this is not minimally acceptable.

• Like 1

rechigo

I guess if you wanted to stop people from being able to upload you could theoretically just remove the write access to their device upload directory on your server

Edited by Deathly

• 3 months later...
bawajose

Yes I think this is a good idea.

Hi Luc, I'm new to this forum but am an Emby user for few years now. Just purchased the premiere during the sale and was surprised to see my photos going into my server. While looking for option to disable it, I see no way to do it on my Android Server beta running on the Mi Box S. This I believe should be a basic feature and the user should be given a choice whether to enable it or not. Hopefully this shouldn't involve much work to have a toggle and provide better control on the content. Thanks!

This can be done on the client side, can't it?

I do not see any pictures on my server unless I activate the option in my Android mobile or iOS client.

darkassassin07

It can, yeah.

The problem is, as a server owner it's not currently possible to prevent a user from uploading to your server. It's left entirely up to your users to not enable it on their end.

• 4 weeks later...
jxb1234

has a global disable switch been added? I can't find it. I've just disabled it by setting the upload dir to a read-only directory. That's not really the correct way to globally 'disable' a feature. The server admin must always have control over their server.

• Like 1

Not yet, but it's something we'll be adding into the server in future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 months later...
Thidsa

I had it disabled but it started uploading again here the other day (update 0.18 or 0.19 i think), and now i cant even find the setting to turn it off  :o

• Like 1

I had it disabled but it started uploading again here the other day (update 0.18 or 0.19 i think), and now i cant even find the setting to turn it off  :o

It's in the app settings.There is no disable on the server yet.

Thidsa

you mean Settings/Emby for android mobile/Camera Upload/Upload to servers ?

Its deselected, but it still uploads...

Ok we have an update about to roll out. Please try toggling the option again once you have that. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the issue is that when you disable it, it doesn't cancel uploads that have already been scheduled. So we'll need to look at that. Thanks.

neik

Thanks for the feedback. I think the issue is that when you disable it, it doesn't cancel uploads that have already been scheduled. So we'll need to look at that. Thanks.

Reported over and over right here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79526-android-mobile-3088/?fromsearch=1

You just don't seem to care...

@@Thidsa, for me force closing the app or restarting the phone solves it for me.

You might want to try that.

Thidsa

Just did an enable/disable after installing 4.4.0.20b server, and it stopped by itself. Closing app restarting phone did nothing. So something must have changed in 0.20

Something changed for me in 0.18 or 0.19 because thats when the upload started again even when it had been disabled for a loong time

Not just scheduled, pictures i took yesterday

Edited by Thidsa

• 4 weeks later...

Prediction for the GENERAL DISABLE function to upload images via mobile applications?

I am an EMBY PREMIERE subscriber but I plan to leave without paying just to disable the function due to the lack of subscription.