Emby server memory usage

parrish

revengineer

Can you attach the server log from this time frame? What tuner do you have? Thanks.

Attached logs to the report above.

EDIT: Forgot half the information: I have an HD Homerun Prime (Cablecard version). I still run 2015 firmware, which works great and does not cause memory issues with other media software (Windows Media Center, Silicondust Viewers). MANY people had substantial issues after upgrading to the 2016 firmware release. There is now a 2017 release, which is out for a week now. I am following those upgrade reports now, but for the time being I will stay on the old firmware. I would not believe that this is the issue for emby memory growth.

EDIT2: The above test was done with v3.0.26. I will now upgrade to v3.0.28 and schedule a show for recording without someone watching video elsewhere to isolate the issue in the latest version. People have reported lower memory foot prints with the latest versions but I will specifically look for memory growth.

Edited by revengineer

revengineer

Here is my use case from tonight. At 7 pm, memory usage was 770 MB. From 9-10 pm, a show was recorded from Live TV with conversion to mkv. Also from 8:30-10:30pm my daughter watched a movie from Roku. I checked memory usage at 9:30 pm, and it was 890 MB, at 10 pm it was 904 MB. So the increase in memory usage is not linear with time. At 11 pm, memory usage was still 904 MB. So none of the 130 MB of memory that was allocated for the earlier activities was ever released.

EDIT 8/21/17: Attached server log for period of interest.

Tested more today and Live TV memory usage seemed stable. I did see in my posted logs that a scheduled guide refresh took place, so I tested that several times. The first two times memory increased from 475 MB to 700 MB and from 700 to 882 MB. That looked like a promising smoking gun but on third guide refresh, the memory remained stable at 897 MB and on fourth refresh even dropped to 790 MB where it stayed after the fifth refresh. So maybe yesterday I just saw initial increase in memory.

I was unable to force a memory leak today. I will let this sit and see how it develops over the next days. Will post back next weekend.

RedBaron164

With the new 3.2.28.0 update my memory usage increased significantly up from 3.2.27.0. After updating yesterday the memory usage jumped to about 750mb almost instantly. This morning I logged in and checked the server and Emby was using 1.5GB. I attached the last 24 hours worth of logs. I've since installed Windows Updates and rebooted the server so I'll see how memory usage grows over the next couple of days.

server-63638956800.txt

server-63638989219.txt

server-63638989377.txt

server-63639043194.txt

server-63639043200.txt

• Like 1

jnheinz

Interesting common denominator potentially being established as the HDHomeRun.  I, too, have one.  Honestly, I never use it.  I have it added to Emby Server, but I haven't used it in a year or more.  It was an HDHomeRun Prime purchased in 2015 that has not had a firmware upgrade since then, I believe.  I would have to investigate.

I caught a memory leak.  Last reboot was 4 1/2 days ago when I upgraded to 3.2.28.  I grabbed a snapshot using JetBrains dotMemory.  Interestingly enough, it shows it as unmanaged memory that is not bound to specific objects.  I am not a developer.  Here is the screenshot.  If @@Luke or @@Sven would like me to grab any specific data for JetBrains, please let me know ASAP.  My Emby Server logs are enormous, because I have debugging on.  These 4 days zipped is about 85MB.  I added some files to my libraries, but nothing hugely out of the ordinary.  Mostly streaming from an NVIDIA Shield running SPMC 16.7 on the latest Emby add-on (2.3.49?).

59a2bdc369bd7_2017082707_35_48freeportRe

jnheinz

Here is a screenshot of the snapshot's characteristics.  Again, no smoking gun.. because the 1.9GB of memory is unmanaged?

59a2bed1ac62e_2017082707_44_32freeportRe

cw-kid

I don't have HDHomeRun. I do have a BlackGold tuner in the WHS 2011 server and use the DVBLink plugin. However I never record shows with Emby.

My little HP Microserver has been happily running Emby for a very long time. Only recently has this memory usage problem started happening. I have to restart Emby now to bring the memory usage back down.

jnheinz

I think, on a whim, I will just pull the tuner out of Emby Server now & reboot.  This will either validate or invalidate the thought that it may be TV tuners.

Edited by jnheinz

pir8radio

Removed my tuner, updated to 3.2.29 & rebooted.  Will check back later this week.

I think most people will find the update to 3.2.29 will fix the memory issue, I personally do not believe its tuner related.

pir8radio

I just wanted to post my 3.2.29 findings so far..    In the first graph you can see the time frame of 2 versions, 3.2.28, and 3.2.29.  You can see in version 3.2.28 when my server did the nightly scheduled tasks memory usage would spike, and then die down a little.   Notice on 3.2.29 memory usage is pretty stable, even after the nightly tasks.  I'm excited for the .net core change..  After I get some more hits ill be able to see if page load times are any faster.  

The second graph just shows how many of my client hits to any particular emby version, but the graph shows when the emby version changes happened on my server.   It also looks like 3.2.30 is out, so I guess we shall see how that goes!

59a4a0bb3245b_chart.png

59a4a2018e899_vers.png

Edited by pir8radio

revengineer

@pir8radio: I believe that I still see some memory increase in your graph comparing 8/28 12:00 with 8/28 4:00pm. The difference is only 100 MB but if this increase is linear you will gain ~1500 MB in 2 weeks. I would say let it run for a week to see if the issue is resolved.

To not loose time, I am skipping the .30 update. It seems blacklisting the Messenger plugin is the only difference to .29. I am still at 530 MB after one day of running, but i have not viewed  any content since I installed the latest version.

pir8radio

@pir8radio: I believe that I still see some memory increase in your graph comparing 8/28 12:00 with 8/28 4:00pm. The difference is only 100 MB but if this increase is linear you will gain ~1500 MB in 2 weeks. I would say let it run for a week to see if the issue is resolved.

To not loose time, I am skipping the .30 update. It seems blacklisting the Messenger plugin is the only difference to .29. I am still at 530 MB after one day of running, but i have not viewed  any content since I installed the latest version.

It seems to fluctuate not linear increase, I guess we will know after more data is collected. 

revengineer

It seems to fluctuate not linear increase, I guess we will know after more data is collected. 

It's hard to tell, so agreed let collect more data and compare next weekend. Keeping fingers crossed.

• Like 1

jnheinz

I would tend to agree.  Way too early to draw conclusions if we all just recently updated to 3.2.29.  I had to update Server Configuration Backup plug-in (old version broke I went to 3.2.29), so my last restart was this AM.  Not restarting anymore.  I remain cautiously optimistic.  If people who have no tuner are seeing it too, it could be just shared common code that is used by a variety of different functions.

I miss when I could let Emby Server run for months without a babysitter  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Untoten

Holy crap, I will try to grab a log after work, but it went from 3GB memory usage to ~14.5GB by morning...  It's becoming so unstable.

jnheinz

With a 60 hour uptime of the server & Emby Server service, it has steadily been rising from 180MB to 690MB now.  This is with no tuner added.  I will check in another day to see if I've breached 1GB.  It's usually around Day 4 or 5 that I will see it starting to become a problem.

I've setup an Emby Server on Ubuntu 16.04 & restored the user data.  Just need to add libraries & flip the Emby Servers around.  Debating actually pulling the trigger on giving up on this.  I agree with @@Untoten, getting frustrated.  I hate babysitting applications.

pir8radio

With a 60 hour uptime of the server & Emby Server service, it has steadily been rising from 180MB to 690MB now. This is with no tuner added. I will check in another day to see if I've breached 1GB. It's usually around Day 4 or 5 that I will see it starting to become a problem.

I've setup an Emby Server on Ubuntu 16.04 & restored the user data. Just need to add libraries & flip the Emby Servers around. Debating actually pulling the trigger on giving up on this. I agree with @@Untoten, getting frustrated. I hate babysitting applications.

1 or 2 gb of memory usage is not unusual for Emby in a windows environment, at least the testing I have done. There still has to be some common thing between the handful of people with this issue. Is everyone upgraded to the latest version? Edited by pir8radio

dcook

My Emby server has been running for at least 6 months if not more without a reboot.  Its a Windows 10 machine and 16GB ram.

I do not see any unusual memory consumption.

We use Emby everyday, currently its using 457MB of Memory

I am running version 3.2.30

Happy2Play

It is normal for my servers to be in the 100MB range at startup then level out at 400 and 600MB.  Both my servers have always done that from day one.  Have seen it climb to a bit over a gig when doing a lot of media processing but has always returned to the 400 to 600 range.

I guess it really depends on how many Emby features someone uses and the maybe the OS as I am on Windows.

Edited by Happy2Play

TheKamakaZi

Hi guys,

Thought I would throw my hat into the ring.

Running Emby (3.2.30.0) docker on FreeNAS 10.0.4 (yes, Corral, but once I got used to it, it's not so bad). 

Host is a boot2docker VM with 3GB RAM, and 2 cores.

Server is an HP Gen9 MicroServer running a Celeron G1610T with 16GB RAM, and 5x 6TB IronWolf HDDs.

My library is rather extensive: 800 Movies, 8970 Episodes, 3267 songs.

Chapter image extraction is enabled on scanning. DLNA server still enabled with Blast Alive messages.

No external tuner, no instances of Emby for Kodi, no plugins installed, no Live TV as yet. 

I have been keeping an eye on the mono-sgen process' memory usage the past few days, and in the past 4 days since the last reboot, it has risen to 1.142GB RAM consumed.

Just restarted, and immediate memory usage after startup is ~282MB. Will continue to monitor and update on my findings.

Edited by TheKamakaZi
  • Like 1