Emby server memory usage

parrish

uncled1023

Just wanted to chime in.  I am running Emby Server with only the trakt.tv plugin, and it has reached 24GB memory.

• Like 1

jnheinz

I have given up on this issue for now & scheduled a daily service restart with PowerShell at 3:30AM.  A terrible band-aid in my opinion, but it works.  I am not entirely sold on EmbyCon at this point, as I appreciate the responsiveness & integration of Emby for Kodi.

Let me know if you need any more tests or information.

• Like 2

parrish

When I look at the memory consumption of the VM, I would agree historically.  But, not lately.

To all users experiencing this problem - are we all Kodi users with the Emby for Kodi add-on?  Are there any out there who are experiencing the problem, but you do not use Kodi at all?

I use no add-ons/plugins at all.  I don't use Kodi (and never have).  My install is completely bare bones 'stock' and experiences the run-away memory usage.  The schedule restart of the Emby Server service has worked- but is obviously just a sledgehammer type Band-Aid.  I'm overly frustrated that Emby development doesn't see the run-away memory problem as a real issue.

• Like 2

I'm overly frustrated that Emby development doesn't see the run-away memory problem as a real issue.

No one on the dev team has said that.  We simply cannot reproduce it so that makes it almost impossible for us to know what to "fix".

That's why we keep asking you guys to try different combinations of things - so we can try and narrow down what it is that is actually happening.

cw-kid

The Media Browser server service is also chewing up about 5GB of Ram on my HP Microserver WHS 2011.

Only new plugin I've installed recently is the Premiere user Emby backup plugin.

Running version 3.2.26.0.

I've not read all this thread yet but will do tomorrow.

This has only started happening recently to my knowledge.

Edited by cw-kid

cw-kid

I see there is mention of the Kodi sync plugin. I am also using that but have done so for a very long time without this memory leak issue.

Also using the Trakt plugin, DVBLink, Boxsets, Dropbox and TuneIn.

So is there a consensus on what might be causing the issue?

And a fix other than scheduling a daily service restart task?

Thanks.

• Like 1

jnheinz

I see there is mention of the Kodi sync plugin. I am also using that but have done so for a very long time without this memory leak issue.

Also using the Trakt plugin, DVBLink, Boxsets, Dropbox and TuneIn.

So is there a consensus on what might be causing the issue?

And a fix other than scheduling a daily service restart task?

Thanks.

This is as pretty much as far as we've gotten.  I've disabled a certain set of plug-ins that @@Luke wanted, and the memory consumption still gradually rose.. including the Sync plug-in.  We are unsure at this point.  I believe it started the morning after my upgrade to 3.2.22.

Scheduling a daily service restart at early AM is the best known workaround & is likely keeping this thread sane :)

• Like 1

Lighthammer

So, I got an interesting observation that might help trackdown the problem a bit.

A while back I registered for Emby premium and kind of put a thumb tack in it because the key took longer then I anticipated to get mailed to me. I finally put it in because I got reminded of it when I got billed this month.

After putting the premium key in, my memory issues seem to have magically disappeared.

I'm not making a claim that this was an underhanded tactic designed to try to get people subscribe (let's face it, giving you an inferior product before registering is a terrible way to prove your product is worth paying money for) but what I *AM* wondering is if one of two things may have happened somewhere along the road by accident:

#1.) My server has used the Premium Trial in the past. I wonder if having had the Premium Trial and then leaving the trial period may have causing unintentional issues.

#2.) I wonder if some form of optimization was pushed to premium users and unintentionally caused standard users problems.

See if this observation helps track down the problems. 

I'm sure your experience is entirely coincidental.  Nothing gets released differently to Premiere vs. non-Premiere users.

• Like 1

parrish

I bought my Premium key back on July 9th of this year (less than a month ago).  I was having the memory issue before then and it continued after.  So I don't think it's anything to do with the Premium options.  I hadn't used any Premium features (trial or otherwise) before that.  I actually bought the Premium key to try and work around an issue I was having with DLNA not working properly.  I figured, at the very least, I could use the Xbox or Android Emby Theater app should DLNA no longer be an option.  I've, since then, resolved the DLNA issue by completely wiping out the server and reinstalling it fresh.  That didn't help with the ram issue though.

jnheinz

I'm sure your experience is entirely coincidental.  Nothing gets released differently to Premiere vs. non-Premiere users.

This is correct.  I am an Emby subscriber from at least a year ago now.

Lighthammer

The second point could still be something worth looking into.

I did notice some minor issues after the premium trial ended. I didn't think of that in this topic until now.

Another place worth poking at is weather having supporter plugins installed with no subscription causes problems.

cw-kid

After putting the premium key in, my memory issues seem to have magically disappeared.

I would say the opposite, I only recently got a premiere key and only recently have noticed high memory usage problems.

I don't think Premiere vs none Premiere has anything to do with the problem.

jnheinz

Per my post on Github - https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/2786 - I am being asked to run a .NET Memory Profiler - https://www.jetbrains.com/dotmemory/.  I will ask him for more specifics on what exactly we are looking for once we run it.. But, if anyone who has had the issue catches it, you can go ahead & try it when it starts to get bad.  I have disabled my service auto-restart & will let the memory leak begin.

You can post your findings on Github if you want to help.

• Like 1

Sven

Can also ask it at the forum.. :)

It just takes snapshots from your memory.

With the program we could check what's taking all the memory....

Is it just cached data, is something not removed from memory after stopping something,..... 

That the stuff we will check.

jnheinz

@@Sven - OK.  I think several other members are interested & committed to helping resolve this.  I also think once we all turn off our daily service restarts, you should get some information.  Thanks.

arche

Please excuse my ignorance to this as I am no expert, just sometimes observant. I noticed more issues with Emby once Windows rolled out there big update (to Win 10 at least), but not only Emby, it also wiped some drivers and a few other things. Almost made my server unresponsive from rebooting. Most notably was the Intel Chipset Driver. Whether this means anything to anyone, I just figured it was note worthy that I really didn't have any problems with Emby (memory or cpu usage) till that roll out from Microsoft. My memory does creep up a bit after a few days, just figured it was normal. I have no plugins or anything special installed. Just makes me wonder if the latest update from Microsoft (Think it's called Creators Update) has something to do with it as it seems to all have started around the same time, just a thought.

arche

Not everyone is running on Windows 10 though. WHS 2011 aka Windows 2008 Server R2 here.

Was just a thought, not sure whats related anymore. Just shooting in the dark.

arche

Maybe it's just me, but after watching for the last 24 hours and trying different things, it seems that my memory usage only rises and keeps rising after opening the Emby dashboard. If I don't open the dashboard it does not climb at all unless a user connects, but then drops after a few minutes back to normal. Only seems to rise after opening the dashboard and keeps climbing even after closing the dashboard.

Attached is a small log of doing this. Not sure if this helps, but figured it was worth mentioning.

server-63637356734.txt

Edited by nirvmedia
  • Like 2