Emby server memory usage

parrish

arche

Just spit balling ideas, I've also noticed that if I open the emby app (android) it increases the memory usage, if I disconnect and kill the app and wait a few minutes the memory usage never goes down, but if I open it again, it just increases the memory usage on the server and never goes down, seems I can keep stacking the memory like this. Just another shot in the dark to track down the issue. Attaching another log of this. Not sure if this is helping or wasting time.

Also, just started running beta 3.2.26.13

server-63637359113.txt

Edited by nirvmedia

arche

Not sure what's going on, but memory usage has just doubled in 20 minutes. Going to have to shut down Emby temporarily until this is figured out. I am attaching another log in case it helps.

server-63637359113.txt

TheTabman

I just want to add myself to the number of people who constantly see an increase in memory usage on their server.

My media server is a dingy old Win7 64bit intel dual core with 4GB and it's a bit worrying. It think this started around 3.2.23, but I'm not sure.

Besides Emby my server also runs, Jackett, Sonarr, Radarr, Deluge, Cobian Backup, Open VPN and the HFS Http File Server. I now disabled all plug-ins for Emby except for Kodi.Sync.Queue and Server Configuration Backup. Still, I see a slight but constant increase in memory consumption.

Here are the installed VC and net runtimes. And I ran the Windows Update the last time at the 13th/05/2017.

5983620ad1fd0_VisualC.jpg

logs.zip

Edited by TheTabman

mwkurt

I am in the same boat as you guys are. My server is a Windows 7 32bit machine with just Emby on it. Don't have any of the plugins mentioned though I do connect exclusively to Android Shields. I am seeing my memory consumption constantly rise until my server finally freezes up at which time a reboot will get things back to normal. I do use Flexraid for Raid 5 and pooling. 

Am considering changing my Windows 7 server to something Linux based because of this. Getting tired of restarting the machine at 3 in the morning. ;)

As an aside, I am also seeing the problem of videos that will stop playing randomly, never the same video, never in the same spot.

Mark

Edited by mwkurt

jnheinz

And of course mine is refusing to runaway with memory consumption, since I have now threatened it with .NET memory mapping.  Someone needs to use the tool specified in https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/2786 who can consistently reproduce it.

Does anyone have a Linux server that is doing this?  I feel this may be limited to Windows, and furthermore, streaming over HTTP vs SMB may be aggravating it.  I'm not sure which one, but I am tinkering around with this idea currently.  I have nothing else to go off of until I am able to reproduce it again.

Can the Server Configuration Backup plug-in be used to migrate to a Linux server from Windows?

Edited by jnheinz

jnheinz

Maybe it's just me, but after watching for the last 24 hours and trying different things, it seems that my memory usage only rises and keeps rising after opening the Emby dashboard. If I don't open the dashboard it does not climb at all unless a user connects, but then drops after a few minutes back to normal. Only seems to rise after opening the dashboard and keeps climbing even after closing the dashboard.

Attached is a small log of doing this. Not sure if this helps, but figured it was worth mentioning.

This was my original hypothesis.  I tend to leave the Emby Dashboard open in VMs.  I noticed I don't have any open.  I will open it again & leave it open.

jnheinz

Honestly, I feel @ may have a decent idea.  It may have to do with the interaction between a web browser & Emby Dashboard or the iOS/Android apps and the Dashboard.

Are we all a bunch of people who tend to look at the Dashboard more than others?  Maybe?  Emby Dashboard Addicts Anonymous? :)

pünktchen

Please excuse my ignorance to this as I am no expert, just sometimes observant. I noticed more issues with Emby once Windows rolled out there big update (to Win 10 at least), but not only Emby, it also wiped some drivers and a few other things. Almost made my server unresponsive from rebooting. Most notably was the Intel Chipset Driver. Whether this means anything to anyone, I just figured it was note worthy that I really didn't have any problems with Emby (memory or cpu usage) till that roll out from Microsoft. My memory does creep up a bit after a few days, just figured it was normal. I have no plugins or anything special installed. Just makes me wonder if the latest update from Microsoft (Think it's called Creators Update) has something to do with it as it seems to all have started around the same time, just a thought.

The same security updates were also applied to Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Server. I had to deinstall the last update, because with it i had connection problems with wireless non Windows devices and memory consumption of ffmpeg increased within 5 Minutes to 30 GB!!!

Untoten

I am running WS 2k12r2 (x64) totally updated on a poweredge 2950, dual quad core, 16gb ecc ram on scsi raid 0 drives.

arche

Are we all a bunch of people who tend to look at the Dashboard more than others?  Maybe?  Emby Dashboard Addicts Anonymous? :)

lol, I'm in that class. I have a separate monitor with just the dashboard open.

I am not running anything special, just an old Aurora R3 i7-2600 6GB of ram SSD primary drive and a couple storage drives for media. I'm really pin pointing it to the latest MS update, but seems like it was right around the same time. I've noticed that the dashboard will get very slow after a few hours, but only on the admin side, not the media side (as far as I can tell).

revengineer

I am glad to see this topic being picked up again and seeing so much interest. I have been plagued by memory leak ever since I started using emby almost 2 years ago. Folks who can schedule a restart of the service are lucky. In my case, in over 90% of attempts the server, I cannot get the emby process to shutdown and a server restart is required. I have been running windows server 2012 (not r2) for the entire time. I find the most memory leakage to coincide with watching live TV through emby with my HD Homerun.

I plead again to fix this; this is emby's single biggest issue and should be highest priority!

• Like 2

arche

I have no idea whats going on, but figured I would mention it. I have four current users online watching movies and my memory usage is lower than it was before with just me on (Three Direct Play and One Transcoding). I did restart the server (Windows and Emby) and the only thing that changed was I was redoing my Xfinity Router and changed the internal static IP of my server. Not sure if it helps, but attached is a new log after restarting. Not sure what happened.

server-63637375391.txt

Edited by nirvmedia

FroggieBoy

So for the past week Emby has been crashing, I think since the last update. I am running Windows 10. 

The server crashes but is still running. I tell it to quit from the task bar. I get an unhandled exception and then it appears to close but it really has not.

This is the log from the unhandled exception:

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
   at System.Threading.Monitor.Enter(Object obj)
   at SkiaSharp.SKObject.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at SkiaSharp.SKFileStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
   at SkiaSharp.SKNativeObject.Finalize()
System.ArgumentNullException

I try to restart.... nothing and here is the log from that:
2017-08-03 19:20:37.0429 Info Main: Emby
Command line: C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
Processor count: 8
Program data path: C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
Application directory: C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System
2017-08-03 19:20:37.0954 Info Main: Found a duplicate process. Giving it time to exit.
2017-08-03 19:21:17.0961 Info Main: The duplicate process did not exit.
2017-08-03 19:21:17.0961 Info Main: Shutting down because another instance of Emby Server is already running.

I open the task manager and it shows the emby server holding onto a block of memory. I try to force quit the process using the task manager. It will not.

This is a pretty bad bug. It actually stalls the computer in a restart (just watch the spinning circle go on and on and on) and then you have to force shutdown the computer. I can only clear the memory block by doing a computer shutdown and restart. And not a graceful shutdown... it's a force quit.    :(

Edited by FroggieBoy

So for the past week Emby has been crashing, I think since the last update. I am running Windows 10. 

The server crashes but is still running. I tell it to quit from the task bar. I get an unhandled exception and then it appears to close but it really has not.

This is the log from the unhandled exception:

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
System.ArgumentNullException

I try to restart.... nothing and here is the log from that:
2017-08-03 19:20:37.0429 Info Main: Emby
Command line: C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
Processor count: 8
Program data path: C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
Application directory: C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System
2017-08-03 19:20:37.0954 Info Main: Found a duplicate process. Giving it time to exit.
2017-08-03 19:21:17.0961 Info Main: The duplicate process did not exit.
2017-08-03 19:21:17.0961 Info Main: Shutting down because another instance of Emby Server is already running.

I open the task manager and it shows the emby server holding onto a block of memory. I try to force quit the process using the task manager. It will not.

This is a pretty bad bug. It actually stalls the computer in a restart (just watch the spinning circle go on and on and on) and then you have to force shutdown the computer. I can only clear the memory block by doing a computer shutdown and restart. And not a graceful shutdown... it's a force quit.    :(

Hi, this doesn't sound related to this thread. Please start your own topic and attach the complete server log. thanks !

• Like 1

Spotta

Server 2016 Essentials here, also often have the dashboard open.

I'm working on a few other bits to do with my server at moment so lots of reboots going on. I should mention that just now it started to become unresponsive in RDP so I shut the Emby dashboard on my laptop after catching the last few posts, straight away server starts behaving itself.

jnheinz

I agree.  Basically, if you observe Emby Server being unresponsive.. Check Task Manager.  Sort by Memory.  If you see Emby Server at the top with 1+GB of memory usage.  You may be affected, especially if you can reproduce it every few days.  The developers have stated they need someone to run the .NET Memory Profiler tool @@Sven mentioned in the Github issue log.  I can't reproduce it lately for some odd reason.

Spotta

Please keep this on topic. This is not a dump for all issues. This thread is about MEMORY LEAKS.

It is on topic you twat, I have been suffering from the memory leaks, a fact which should be quite obvious to anyone who bothered to read my previous posts on this thread.

• Like 2

revengineer

It is on topic you twat, I have been suffering from the memory leaks, a fact which should be quite obvious to anyone who bothered to read my previous posts on this thread.

Nice language! You win, I am out of this thread. Enjoy. :(

Spotta

I do apologise, i hadn't had my morning coffee, and i'm sure that you did not intend to come across like a pompous knowitall.

CBers

Nice language! You win, I am out of this thread. Enjoy. :(

I do apologise, i hadn't had my morning coffee, and i'm sure that you did not intend to come across like a pompous knowitall.

@@Spotta - please be careful of the language and respect others, either with or without the coffee :)

Haxorus

10gb this morning

Yes... Just let the group know when its NOT high...   I'm sure they know of the issue since it has not been posted that there is a fix yet, daily "its still broke" messages don't help the cause. 

Edited by Haxorus
  • Like 1