Emby server memory usage

parrish

revengineer

With a 60 hour uptime of the server & Emby Server service, it has steadily been rising from 180MB to 690MB now.  This is with no tuner added.  I will check in another day to see if I've breached 1GB.  It's usually around Day 4 or 5 that I will see it starting to become a problem.

I've setup an Emby Server on Ubuntu 16.04 & restored the user data.  Just need to add libraries & flip the Emby Servers around.  Debating actually pulling the trigger on giving up on this.  I agree with @@Untoten, getting frustrated.  I hate babysitting applications.

That experience is similar to mine. I started out with 400 MB four days ago, and memory has grown to 900 MB since with light use. This does not have to be a leak yet. I will let this run for another week or two to see if memory use levels off or keeps increasing at 100 MB per day.

My Emby server has been running for at least 6 months if not more without a reboot.  Its a Windows 10 machine and 16GB ram.

I do not see any unusual memory consumption.

We use Emby everyday, currently its using 457MB of Memory

I am running version 3.2.30

This seems contradictory. If you have 3.2.30 running, emby server cannot be running for 6 months since this version is only a few days old. When you shutdown emby server, all of the memory presumably gets released. I say presumably because on my machine emby can only be stopped by server reboot (but that is a different story that is off-topic here). Do you mean your server hardware has not been rebootet?

• Like 1

Happy2Play

My Emby server has been running for at least 6 months if not more without a reboot.  Its a Windows 10 machine and 16GB ram.

I do not see any unusual memory consumption.

We use Emby everyday, currently its using 457MB of Memory

I am running version 3.2.30

OT: So you must have disabled Windows updates as my Windows 10 machines reboot at a minimum of once a month for updates.

• Like 1

dcook

That experience is similar to mine. I started out with 400 MB four days ago, and memory has grown to 900 MB since with light use. This does not have to be a leak yet. I will let this run for another week or two to see if memory use levels off or keeps increasing at 100 MB per day.

This seems contradictory. If you have 3.2.30 running, emby server cannot be running for 6 months since this version is only a few days old. When you shutdown emby server, all of the memory presumably gets released. I say presumably because on my machine emby can only be stopped by server reboot (but that is a different story that is off-topic here). Do you mean your server hardware has not been rebootet?

My server machine itself has not been rebooted in at least 6 months.  The Emby application restarts whenever its updated, prior to yesterday when I updated to 3.2.30 I had not updated the Emby application in 2-3 weeks.

OT: So you must have disabled Windows updates as my Windows 10 machines reboot at a minimum of once a month for updates.

I have updates set to notify only, I don't like automatic updates as I want to control when my machine reboots.

jnheinz

According to a memory profiler, it is growing the exact same way it was before.. unmanaged memory.

59a74a498d0a5_2017083018_27_20freeportRe

PenkethBoy

Unmanaged memory does not by itself indicate a problem - very simply it depends on how the memory was asked for by the program(programmer) - it is not necessarily a memory leak

you can see .net has asked for a lot more memory than it is currently using

What's the name of that program?

According to a memory profiler, it is growing the exact same way it was before.. unmanaged memory.

59a74a498d0a5_2017083018_27_20freeportRe

TheKamakaZi

Hi guys,

Thought I would throw my hat into the ring.

Running Emby (3.2.30.0) docker on FreeNAS 10.0.4 (yes, Corral, but once I got used to it, it's not so bad). 

Host is a boot2docker VM with 3GB RAM, and 2 cores.

Server is an HP Gen9 MicroServer running a Celeron G1610T with 16GB RAM, and 5x 6TB IronWolf HDDs.

My library is rather extensive: 800 Movies, 8970 Episodes, 3267 songs.

Chapter image extraction is enabled on scanning. DLNA server still enabled with Blast Alive messages.

No external tuner, no instances of Emby for Kodi, no plugins installed, no Live TV as yet. 

I have been keeping an eye on the mono-sgen process' memory usage the past few days, and in the past 4 days since the last reboot, it has risen to 1.142GB RAM consumed.

Just restarted, and immediate memory usage after startup is ~282MB. Will continue to monitor and update on my findings.

After about 10 hours of uptime, memory usage has risen to ~711.7MB. Basic activities during this time:

• Watched a show on shuffle via the web UI which required transcoding on some of its episodes
  • A single episode was added, picked up by scheduled library scan.

I've attached the server log from last night's restart.

server-63639737661.txt

Happy2Play

After about 10 hours of uptime, memory usage has risen to ~711.7MB. Basic activities during this time:

• Watched a show on shuffle via the web UI which required transcoding on some of its episodes

And why do you think that is high?

Edited by Happy2Play

TheKamakaZi

And why do you think that is high?

Not high as such, just reporting back my findings as I see them.

Trying to give the devs as much info as I can to get to the bottom of the issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

My large server levels out between 600-800MB and my small server between 400-600MB.

I just watched image extraction use an additional 600MB of memory then release it after the process was done.

Anything under a gig is normal without any other Emby processes running (Scheduled Tasks).

Happy2Play

What's the name of that program?

ANTS Memory Profiler

revengineer

Unmanaged memory does not by itself indicate a problem - very simply it depends on how the memory was asked for by the program(programmer) - it is not necessarily a memory leak

you can see .net has asked for a lot more memory than it is currently using

Agree, but if a programmer constantly asks for memory and never returns it to the OS after it is no longer needed, then that's a memory leak.

Edited by revengineer

dcook

Here is my Memory usage since my last restart of the application when I updated to 3.2.30

59a80045e1f64_Capture.jpg

When I took this screen Emby is idle, nothing is being streamed.

Here is one with 3 movies being streamed at the same time:

59a801f0a280d_Capture3.jpg

You can see my network use has increased to be expected, but memory only increased 110mb

This server's only job is Emby there are no other applications installed on the server and its not used for anything else.

The only plugins I have are Statistics

DLNA is disabled

I don't have LiveTV

My Library stats:

59a800d97065f_Capture2.jpg

I think those of you who think you have a memory leak must have some other plugins or something else on the server besides Emby.

Edited by dcook

pir8radio

Just posting my info if it helps anyone...

You can clearly see in the first graph emby releasing memory in the latest version. 3.2.30

and in the second graph you can see the last 30 days, You can clearly see emby peaking out at around 4gb of ram that is where my server used to level off. But notice after a new server version release the memory gets better and better until the .NET CORE release on 8-27-17 notice the memory usage now, and it goes up, AND BACK DOWN for the first time.

I have a reasonable sized library, over 145,000 items. Maybe you guys with a memory issues above 2GB and running 3.2.30+ should start listing what server hardware you use, maybe there is some common thread in the hardware?

* the following graphs are for the Emby application ONLY, NOT the entire server.

59a8051099a9a_memoryrelease.png

59a8051f64374_latestversion.png

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

Similar to @@dcook i have not seen this issue at all on three different machines running Stable and Beta versions of the server

This is on win10 64 bit Creators Update and the Anniversary Update - also with win server 2012r2

All sit at approx 400mb memory usage when idle and any increase due to play back or library scan etc - usually an increase of 100-200mb - will be released back after a shortish time period - say an hour max

I do not have DLNA enabled (all options unchecked)

I have enable Port Mapping turned off also (IIRC this may have caused problems before)

I do not use LiveTV currently - i have in the past but that pre dates these issues

Only clients in use are the Android app on my Phone(beta) and the Android TV app on my Sony TV

The Plugin's i use are Statistics, BlurN, Config Backup, Coverart and Studio Cleaner

My 2012r2 server is on all the time running Stable and Beta - the Emby servers get updated as new releases are pushed by Luke or new versions of the plugin become available - so stable is up for much longer periods than beta - and no memory issues.

As the majority of users are not seeing the memory problem (would have considerable more people reporting it then we do) it is something specific about the configurations of the users who are having a problem - until detailed configuration and usage information is provided (in the vast majority of cases it has not as yet) the dev stand no chance of tracking it down.

jnheinz

Can we have a template of what information they want?  If we had a template, we can ensure they get the information they want.

pir8radio

Can we have a template of what information they want? If we had a template, we can ensure they get the information they want.

I was just throwing it out there, I have no clue what "they" would want.. But maybe we as a group of users could come up with something and hopefully help spot the pattern... Like @@PenkethBoy I have similar setup and no memory issues.

Virtual Machine?: NO

CPU: Xeon E5 2470 v2

GPU: no special graphics adapters just onboard intel

RAM: 48 GB ECC

Drive type Emby/OS Is installed on: SSD

Emby Version: 3.2.30 Stable

Emby Meta Data Storage: NOT saved to media folder

Emby DLNA: Disabled (everything unchecked)

Emby Plugins in use: Auto Box Sets, TimeLord Movies, Trailers

Emby Live TV Tuner: one HDHomerun Prime CC

Emby Live TV Guide Provider: Schedules Direct

Emby Live TV Recordings Scheduled: Only one series is scheduled daily for testing

Media Info exact count not needed:

MP3: 143,000

Movies: 600

Music videos: 13,000

TV Recordings: 60

Live TV Channels: 107

Edited by pir8radio

PenkethBoy

To build on @@pir8radio list

With OS - is it in a VM? - if so what HyperVisor(type and version) are you using and what resources have you given the VM - i.e. cores, memory, gpu passthrough etc

What version of Emby are you running - dont say latest!

What clients are you using and what version of the EMBY app - also what OS version for the client

How many of each client you have and are they actively used? - if possible a log of what got used when - especially if you have some sort of memory logging enabled

If you are using something like say KODi - what version and are you using a plugin again if so what version.

With Live TV are you using native EMBY support or a plugin like NextPVR etc with versions

Anything else you think might be important or different to the norm for your setup.

What i should have added to my previous post was - if you have this issue - could you try and strip back your setup to something as similar as possible to that of somebody who does not have the problem - myself @@pir8radio or @@dcook as examples. If you can do this and do or do not get the issue that would be informative as well.

Just posting i have high memory usage is not going to get us anywhere. Essentially we need a step by step repeatable approach that can be tested by others to find the problem - it also could be more than one problem so be as detailed as possible.

Good luck :)

RedBaron164

My server has always had DLNA and Port Mapping enabled as far as I can tell, due to them being on by default. I've gone and disabled both those options since I do not use or need either of them. I will see if that helps the memory issue I'm seeing and report back in a couple of days. At which point if I am still seeing the issue I will do a complete dump of all my server info and settings for comparison to the other users effected.

The only constant I believe I've seen in this thread so far among users reporting this issue has been HDHomeRun Connect Tuners being used for Live TV/Recordings. Has anyone who does not use Live TV experienced this memory issue?

Edited by RedBaron164

dcook
Here is my info:

Virtual Machine?: NO

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.80Ghz

GPU: no special graphics adapters just onboard intel

RAM: 16 GB

Drive type Emby/OS Is installed on: SSD

Media Storage Location: QNAP TS-659 Pro II (3GB Ram)

Emby Version: 3.2.30.0 Stable

Emby Meta Data Storage: NOT saved to media folder

Emby DLNA: Disabled (everything unchecked)

Emby Plugins in use: Statistics

Emby Live TV Tuner: NONE

Emby Live TV Guide Provider: NONE

Emby Live TV Recordings Scheduled: NONE

-Download images in advance is checked

-Enable real time monitoring is unchecked

-Enable chapter image extraction is checked

-Download subtitles everything unchecked

-Hardware acceleration: NONE

-Enable automatic port mapping is checked

Media Info:

MP3: 5,564

Movies: 1428

TV Series: 304

TV Episodes: 25,185

Total Media Library Size: 15TB 

Client Devices used to watch: Roku4, Roku3, iPad app, Andriod app

Edited by dcook

TheKamakaZi

Close to 24-hour mark, usage at 1.198GB. Activity since last update:

• Single episode was added
  • Shows watched on Samsung Smart TV app 2.2.3b (Orsay)
  • No transcoding took place

Ensured no other tasks were running when measuring memory usage.

Latest logs attached.

server-63639820800.txt

server-63639737661.txt

Edited by TheKamakaZi