Emby server memory usage

parrish

dbowles1975

I used to have this issue when I ran Emby as service. I run it at start up now and I haven't had this issue since. I also noticed that memory usage would creep up the longer the server had been running so I do a scheduled restart (just the server application, not the PC itself) every morning at 4:00AM just in case. Memory usage stays in the 200MB-300MB range even during heavy use. I don't use any DLNA features. 

Edited by dbowles1975

jnheinz

Rebooting daily should be totally unnecessary for the record.  That is what IT people do to mitigate problems that there are no solutions for.

jnheinz

I caught the Emby Server process consuming almost 3GB of RAM.  It has been approximately 96 hours since the last reboot.  Should I post 4 days worth of server logs?  This is with DLNA disabled.

5974ff095adaf_2017072314_48_35freeportRe

jnheinz

Here's my server logs dating back to the last reboot on Thursday evening at 9PM.  The small log beginning 15 minutes ago is after the most recent reboot. Let me know what you would like for me to try.

@@Luke , I had debug logging on too.. or should have, I believe.  I turned it on when I realized I had a problem.

sparc-memory-leak-logs.zip

Edited by jnheinz

Ok please try removing the Statistics, Kodi Sync and Autoboxset plugins and see if that has an impact. Thanks.

jnheinz

Ok please try removing the Statistics, Kodi Sync and Autoboxset plugins and see if that has an impact. Thanks.

Will do.  For the record, I've had Kodi Sync & Autoboxset for quite awhile.  Statistics is relatively new, installed maybe 2 months ago.

I will remove all 3 & reboot this evening.

Probably trakt too. I can see some areas for improvement in the plugin. I will do a couple of the quick ones but hopefully a contributor will come forward and spend a bit more time with it.

And also update to the latest version of Emby Server, because i see you're still on 3.2.24 and hadn't updated to 3.2.25 yet. There is now 3.2.26. Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I've also pushed a trakt update with some minor changes. 

jnheinz

Removed all discussed plug-ins, including trakt.  Updated to 3.2.26.  Sent for a reboot.  I'll check back in a few days.

Untoten

I disabled DLNA, did not resolve the issue, I will update to .26 and provide an update in a few days. @@Luke, I cannot upload my logs, as they are 9gb which makes them 1 - unredactable and 2 - I doubt this forum allows 9gb file uploads, so again, something out of my control.  I have now made an FR to control log size, which will probably be 'monitored'.}

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49336-fr-control-log-size/

Edited by Untoten

jnheinz

End of day 1.. DLNA disabled, removed trakt, Emby Sync, AutoBoxSet & Statistics plugins.  Updated to 3.2.26 & rebooted @ 7/23 @ 10PM CST.

59769209a955e_2017072419_32_19freeportRe

Edited by jnheinz

parrish

I finally had to resort to creating a scheduled task to shut down the Emby service, wait 5 minutes (since it takes a few minutes for the Emby service to actually shut down once you tell it to shut down), then restart the service.  I have that task set to run every day at 8am.  Definitely not a fix- just a work around. 

Edited by parrish
  • Like 1

End of day 1.. DLNA disabled, removed trakt, Emby Sync, AutoBoxSet & Statistics plugins.  Updated to 3.2.26 & rebooted @ 7/23 @ 10PM CST.

59769209a955e_2017072419_32_19freeportRe

Thanks for the feedback.

Untoten

I finally had to resort to creating a scheduled task to shut down the Emby service, wait 5 minutes (since it takes a few minutes for the Emby service to actually shut down once you tell it to shut down), then restart the service.  I have that task set to run every day at 8am.  Definitely not a fix- just a work around. 

Care to share the method?

jnheinz

Day 1.5 (36 hours since changes & last reboot) .. DLNA disabled, removed trakt, Emby Sync, AutoBoxSet & Statistics plugins.  Updated to 3.2.26 & rebooted @ 7/23 @ 10PM CST.

Starting to creep upward towards a half gig.  I don't think it's done any actual transcoding, just a few direct play through HTTP I believe.

Will update tonight. 

59776457b50fc_emby36hours.png

jnheinz

I have created a data collector set in Performance Monitor to log the Private Bytes of the Emby Server process every 15 seconds to aid in long-term visualization.

Edited by jnheinz

dbowles1975

Rebooting daily should be totally unnecessary for the record.  That is what IT people do to mitigate problems that there are no solutions for.

It absolutely should be. But when Emby acts like there's no issue you have to do what you have to do. This has worked for me so far. If I see a resolution to this issue posted somewhere I'll reconsider my approach.

• Like 1