No OSD/Information Overlay when Playing or Pausing Certain Files (KS8000)

FatOldOwl

FatOldOwl
Issue description:

I'm having some issues with the Emby app on my new UN65KS8000 TV.   When playing or pausing certain movies there is no information overlay/OSD as there is when I play most other files.  The movies play fine and I can still pause/resume the movie with the play/pause button but the usual screen overlay is not there.  I also can't use the back button to go back to Emby.  Instead I must hold down the back button to kill the app. I've also noticed that the files that have issues always seem to have non-English subtitles.  I rarely if ever use subtitles and when I try to disable them is when I noticed I can't access the overlay menu.

For a little background, I've been using Emby for a few years now and love it!  Until I purchased this TV we've used Emby via Roku's about 90% time with web and Windows apps taking up the rest.  I've never had any issues with those methods.  At least not that I can recall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Steps to reproduce:

Play any of the particular files where this issue happens. 

My TV/HTS/BD Player model number:

Samsung UN65KS8000 w/ Samsung Smart TV 2.4.0

My firmware version:

Other TVs etc. the issue has been reproduced on:

None, this is my only Tizen TV.

My Emby server version:

My current Emby Samsung client version:

Other Emby Samsung versions the issue can be reproduced in:

N/A 

Supporting information to include logs and pictures where applicable:

I've attached the following files with a rip of Hotel Transylvania as an example:

- Server logs -> Redwood Emby Server Log.txt

- Media Info export from the Hotel Transylvania mkv files -> MediaInfo - Hotel Transylvania (2012) mkv.txt

- A JSON file per the instructions on the "How to report a problem" sticky -> Hotel Transylvania (2012) mkv API JSON.txt

FrostByte

Hmm, I didn't realize 2.0.1 was released in the Samsung store.  I'll have to look which version I'm on and see if I have the same problem

FrostByte

fyi  there is a newer firmware 1165 for your tv if you want to try.  

Also, if you loaded the Orsay app recommend removing it and loading the Tizen one from the Samsung store

- Model : KS8000, KS800D, KS8500, KS850D, KS9000, KS900D, KS9500, KS950D, KS9800, KS9810, KU7000, KU700D, KU7500, KU750D
- Version : 1165.0
- Improved usability

1. Improved browser performance

2. Improved app performance

3. Improved stability

4. Improved usability of input devices

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2016-suhd-smart-tv-ks8-series

• Like 1

FatOldOwl

hi @@FatOldOwl, you installed this app from the store?

Yes, installed directly from the store.

fyi  there is a newer firmware 1165 for your tv if you want to try.  

Also, if you loaded the Orsay app recommend removing it and loading the Tizen one from the Samsung store

- Model : KS8000, KS800D, KS8500, KS850D, KS9000, KS900D, KS9500, KS950D, KS9800, KS9810, KU7000, KU700D, KU7500, KU750D

- Version : 1165.0

- Improved usability

1. Improved browser performance

2. Improved app performance

3. Improved stability

4. Improved usability of input devices

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2016-suhd-smart-tv-ks8-series

Never installed the Orsay app, just the Tizen version.

Thanks for the heads up on the new firmware.  The udpate menu didn't detect it so I'll go the USB route and report back if that makes a difference.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Ok, I was just confused by the release number because I think I'm on 1.0.20 and you said you were on 2.0.1 which looked like the Orsay version number.  You used to be able to load Orsay apps on Tizen, but that was supposed to be taken away with a firmware update long time ago.  I can't seem to replicate that issue on mine though

Let us know, I'm sure Luke and SamES will get it resolved

Edited by FrostByte

I think this may be a case that the player has crashed during playback.  We can look at improving the error handling.  I will check this more tonight hopefully.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

FatOldOwl

FrostByte, a big thanks!  Updated the firmware 1165 and tried a few of the titles that were giving me issues and everything seems to be working just fine.  

I feel kinda stupid for posting now because I know to check the firmware, and I did, but I thought the TV would download the latest if there was one via the menu.  Good to know going foward though, I'll keep an eye out and load them via USB in the future.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Lesferatu

I just switched from plex and ran into the exact same issue :(

My TV has already the newest firmware installed (1168). It seems that there is a problem with the keymap. If i press the "ok" button on my remote, the video starts all over from the beginning (and thats pretty annoying, because i'm used to press this button to pop up the OSD in other apps). Maybe because i have the european model? But that doesn't make any sense to me because CEC doesn't depend on the locale, right?

My TV: Samsung 2016, KS7090