laurent92

laurent92

Hi,

Emby is really nice and I decided 2 weeks ago to buy a Premiere license to support the team. However, audio Playlist management could/should be greatly improved. Alternatively, as a newbie, maybe I missed something...

Let me describe my situation:

I mainly own music compilations, best-of and singles (old LP’s and EP’s recorded to mp3) + some albums. To avoid file duplication, I save only one copy of a song in my mp3 folder and use Playlists to “virtually” define Albums and Compilations (~500 Playlists currently). My mp3 are tagged and covers are embedded in the Tag.

Each Playlist is named following typical rules (Artist – Album.m3u) and is associated with its cover (Artist – Album.jpg)

Playlists are organized into meaningful folders:

-        Albums

-   Pop

-        Artist1-Album.m3u

-        Artist1-Album.jpg

-        Artist2-Album.m3u

-        Artist2-Album.jpg

-        ….

-   Rock

-        …..

-        Compilations

-   80’s

-        ….

This worked quite well with TVIX or Logitech Squeezebox (yes I know, I’m a technology dinosaur!).

Thus, to manage my music collection within Emby, some workaround and some tricks are required.

Firstly, I wrote a small software in Access 2016 VBA (see topic https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43369-m3u-playlists-batch-importing/). Now that my Playlists are imported within Emby, I would like to take the most of these lists. Unfortunately, Emby doesn’t provide a user-friendly GUI for playlists, neither using the web, mobile and theatre apps. For instance, there is no alphabetPicker to avoid browsing hundreds of playlists, no filter …. 

In my opinion, the playlists interface should have the same functionalities than the movie or music ones (with Artist - Album - Compilation - Genre menu for example).  At least, the Playlist GUI should be similar to the directory browser, as exemplified inn the attached screenshots.

Would it be possible to implement the movie/music GUI for playlists, instead of the current basic one ?

If not, would it be possible to use the directory GUI and add Genre to the Filter menu  (genre are auto-tagged by my Playlist importer) ?

I hope that Emby developers can improve the Playlist view based on some of my proposals, or that someone could explain me how to change (if relevant) the playlists.html layout (under …\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\dashboard-ui ?) in order to implement some of these features.

Regards.

Laurent.

post-112229-0-58110000-1483564969_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hi @@laurent92, what do you mean exactly about

movie/music GUI for playlists

can you be more specific with what you are looking for? thanks !

laurent92

Hi

Thanks for your answer, I will try to clarify my proposal.

When browsing playlist, it should be possible to select Artists (based on an additional Artist Fields or the keyword or Tag fields), Albums or Compilation (based eg on the current Tag field) and Genres (based on the current Genre field).

The sorting and filtering features should also be available, as well as an Alphabet Picker.

The Playlist GUI could therfore looks like the following picture.

Thanks.

Laurent.

5870156bd5952_Playlistidealview.jpg

laurent92

HI,

If it's possible to implement the Alphabet-picker as well as then menu (suggestion, artists etc...), then default sorting (Name, note, date...) and filtering (Favorites, like, read...) seem sufficient. Maybe adding the year (based on the year field) could be useful (both in sorting and filtering).

Without the menu, the type of playlist (Album or Compilation) should at least be added in the filtering option. I'm not sure that adding Genre and Artists would be really useful (to many entries !). However, Playlist type, Artist and Genre could be added to the sorting options.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, you can use the web app to create a playlist. Just right click a song, album or any media, and select "Add to Playlist". Let us know if this helps. Thanks !