Got network?

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

lol - bug has sure bitten you :)

Are you seeing slow performance then?

Nah, I just feel like I want one lol

But I do feel like something needs to be tweaked. I think something is slowing my write speeds. Internally writing to the new M.2 SSD I just put in, capped out at around 160 MB/s. And all my write speeds are lower than that, Maybe the read speeds are being affected? I need to test copying from one M.2 SSD to the other.

PenkethBoy

This is from HGST 4TB drives to the SSD? then ~160 would be about correct similar to what i get - think i have seen 170ish when drive was empty - i.e. at its fastest

Try copying the ssd to itself then you would expect approx half its max speed

Guest asrequested

A question for you networking wizards. If you connected each port of a dual port NIC, to two separate switches (that had the same capabilities) that were linked. Would it work/cause stability issues??

PenkethBoy

As long as you dont setup a loop!

could you explain what you want to do?

Guest asrequested

As long as you dont setup a loop!

could you explain what you want to do?

I don't actually want to do anything, lol. I'm home with a lot of time to myself, and my wheels were turning :)

On that note, I finally got around to messing with the switch. It's pretty warm today, so here are the temperature readings from the switch, with three 1G ethernet connections and two SFP+

Sadly, I don't have the readings from when the X540 cards were in there.

58b8d1b438498_Snapshot_522.jpg

After I cooled the room down

58b8dfcb943dd_Snapshot_523.jpg

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Right now, the ports are set to Auto-Full duplex. Would it be better to just run them at full, or does it need to negotiate the different bandwidths?

PenkethBoy

lol - itching to fiddle?

30c sounds fine - does it climb much if you do a few large copies on the 10g network - 1g will have mininal effect as a lot of 1g switches are passive cooled

The X540 in themselves do run hot if you use both ports (windows multipath etc) but with good cooling are not an issue for me - so far :)

I guess the sfp+ ports might run cooler than 10gbase-t ports (different tech)

The usual advice is leave the ports as Auto-Full Duplex - if something does change(unlikely) they will still work - it will not change anything if you do other than they wont work at 1g

Guest asrequested

lol - itching to fiddle?

30c sounds fine - does it climb much if you do a few large copies on the 10g network - 1g will have mininal effect as a lot of 1g switches are passive cooled

The X540 in themselves do run hot if you use both ports (windows multipath etc) but with good cooling are not an issue for me - so far :)

I guess the sfp+ ports might run cooler than 10gbase-t ports (different tech)

The usual advice is leave the ports as Auto-Full Duplex - if something does change(unlikely) they will still work - it will not change anything if you do other than they wont work at 1g

The next time I do a big transfer, I'll look at the temp. With the room cooler, it's at 26/27

Swynol

those temps are fine. my unifi switch idles around 40c before the fans kick in. Unifi say its rated to 70c. 

Guest asrequested

those temps are fine. my unifi switch idles around 40c before the fans kick in. Unifi say its rated to 70c.

The fans are always running on this switch. I was saying earlier, that since I switched to using SFP+, the switch runs cooler.

PenkethBoy

Interesting on the power front - as it confirms that the Intel 10gbase-t cards do run hot but good cooling in the pc covers that :) Over time this should change as Intel uses smaller die sizes for the MAC chips.

The price per port stuff and cable costs he quotes are much higher than anything i paid even for new kit - is the video old?

Guest asrequested

@@PenkethBoy I've got some shenanigans going on. I'm testing my network hardware configurations. Whenever I have two connectx NICs in the network, the bandwidth is seriously compromised. I use two X540 cards - fine, I use one X540 and one connectx - fine, but two connectx - not fine. Could SMB3 be having an issue with having those 2?  

Guest asrequested

Interesting on the power front - as it confirms that the Intel 10gbase-t cards do run hot but good cooling in the pc covers that :) Over time this should change as Intel uses smaller die sizes for the MAC chips.

The price per port stuff and cable costs he quotes are much higher than anything i paid even for new kit - is the video old?

August 2016

PenkethBoy

could you give some more info

os being used - whats connected to what and with what

is it all going through one switch - if not what is the connection between switches and with what

etc

also whats shenanigans and fine - i know they are technical terms but over here they mean something else  :P  :D

it should not matter what adapter you use as they all use the same to talk to each other over the network

why do you suspect smb3???

Guest asrequested

One switch, the D-link. The connectx cards are sfp+ used with DAC cables (that's something I didn't check, if a cable is bad). Win 10 pro on both machines. 'Fine' = 4 - 5.6Gb transfer rate, 'not fine' = less than 1Gb transfer rate.

PenkethBoy

this is copying the same file(s) from a to b?

yes it could be a cable or its not fully engaged

and you have got the DAC connected to the correct ports on the switch as it has four IIRC 2 of each?

or is it one port on the x3 card that's "Bad" or is it either port?

are all your dac cables 10g rated?

Guest asrequested

this is copying the same file(s) from a to b?

yes it could be a cable or its not fully engaged

and you have got the DAC connected to the correct ports on the switch as it has four IIRC 2 of each?

or is it one port on the x3 card that's "Bad" or is it either port?

are all your dac cables 10g rated?

A little further testing. I verified both SFP+ ports on the switch are working correctly. I verified all NICs are working correctly. I verified all cables are working correctly. DAC cables are Cisco 10G (labelled). The only configuration that gives lower bandwidth is if I have 2 ConnectX NICs in the network. That's why I thought of SMB3. With two of them, it would activate SMB3, and maybe it doesn't know how to handle them together?

In every other configuration, these are the results I get.

58bca5a72bbe3_Snapshot_507.jpg

For now, I'll run one X540 and One connectX. When I get the other switch, I'll test again.

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

are you confusing SMB3 with Multipath as that just works as there are no settings?

i would check on the switch that the two x3 cards are at 10g - did you change anything the other day when you asked about Full duplex?

Guest asrequested

are you confusing SMB3 with Multipath as that just works as there are no settings?

i would check on the switch that the two x3 cards are at 10g - did you change anything the other day when you asked about Full duplex?

Perhaps I do mean multipath...I don't fully understand the difference.

I did confirm all ports were 10G in the switch, and I didn't change those settings

58bca8f0c6ef2_Snapshot_508.jpg

Guest asrequested

And as an fyi, I have 2 connectx-2 NICs and 2 connectx-3 NICs. No configuration of two connectx NICs will give me full bandwidth

Guest asrequested

So now I don't think it's multipath. The ConnectX-3 NICs are dual port, and the one I have left in is using both ports very well. So now I'm thinking it's something with the switch firmware. Some setting or other. When I get the Quanta, I'll see what happens.