Got network?

Guest asrequested

Only thing that annoys me with the apc backup i have is the cost of batteries. Its a bx1500lcd 900 watt unit i have and the batteries are 90$. I mean hell i can buy batteries for my car cheaper and then get paid to bring the old battery to a recycler. I am tempted so many times to buy 2 motorcycle batteries and see if it would work by making a more beefy lead connecting the batteries together and lengthening the connections in the ups to go to the now external batteries.

Ok after looking online a little bit ya it seems that the 90$ battery back from apc is just what i thought 2 12v batteries wired in series, so other than an insanely long charge / recharge cycle what would stop someone from hooking up say 2 deep cycle marine batteries if they wanted to?

Edited by tdiguy
  • Like 1

mastrmind11

Ok after looking online a little bit ya it seems that the 90$ battery back from apc is just what i thought 2 12v batteries wired in series, so other than an insanely long charge / recharge cycle what would stop someone from hooking up say 2 deep cycle marine batteries if they wanted to?

Nothing.  Read the comments.  Good information.  http://www.instructables.com/id/Rework-a-UPS-with-Massive-Capacity/

• Like 2

I run two APC backups.

I like the idea of power cycling the Modem when the internet is out. God only knows the Bell HomeHub 3000 always screw the pooch when updates arrive and never seem to reboot properly.

• Like 1

Nothing. Read the comments. Good information. http://www.instructables.com/id/Rework-a-UPS-with-Massive-Capacity/

This is a really cool idea. I know a guy that runs his own solar panels and uses a bank of used aircraft batteries as a method to store the electricity locally.

I have daydreams of buying 10 or more acres of land with water rights in the middle of nowhere. I could get a prefab house put on it, and setup a similar rig for solar and only need to sip off the power grid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5a6371bced076_FullSizeRender.jpgI swear to gawd that cable management is an art form. One that I am in no way good at.

I am actually in a bit of trouble trying to assemble my network wall and server. It is super hard. I think I'm 1/3 of the way through figuring it out.

I'm trying not to cross wires, and I'm pretty sure that you should not cross power with cat5e/6.

What a nightmare!! :(

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

if possible yea you want to keep power cords and cat6 cables isolated from each other. If you have to cross them or run them next to each other its great if you can put both into some sort of conduit just to minimize rf interference as much as possible though i think its unlikely that there is much issue unless you are talking much higher voltage or a somewhat large transformer. 

The setup you have right now isnt bad at all. If i had that much room and some money what i would presonally do is to get a actual server rack and start turning my equipment into rack mountable gear. such as:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147180
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132075
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704064

That's just my preference though. Right now for me i have everything shoehorned into what used to be a linen closet next to the dryer. I just really wish to have everything mounted nice and neat into a rack. I also prefer my servers headless and i save some resources by not running a gui on them at all.

• Like 2

In another life I used to install car audio. Back then best practice would be to keep power and data cabling separate as much as possible and when crossing do so at a 90 degree angle.

Edited by Tur0k

No. It has an IP but doesn't give me web access, and apparently web access is possible when configured correctly. I've got the console cable, but I can't find what instruction I need to use in the terminal. Using PuTTY, when I type in the terminal, all the characters come out wrong. I'm cursed, I tell you! 

9600 8 none 1? seems to work on nearly any console connection.

Edited by tdiguy

Yea, I still use it for my headless RPIs, occasionally in my PFsense firewall, and on to manage scripts on my hacked NAS.

We all have our own subsets of skills. I hold your recommendations in high regard when it comes to transcoding, format bitrates, and hardware acceleration.

I prefer putty myself. I use portable apps a lot even at work. Mostly because our workstations are locked down to the point of absurdity.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

We all have our own subsets of skills. I hold your recommendations in high regard when it comes to transcoding, format bitrates, and hardware acceleration.

I appreciate that. Thank you!

Guest asrequested

I prefer putty myself. I use portable apps a lot even at work. Mostly because our workstations are locked down to the point of absurdity.

I couldn't get it to work with the switches that I had. With Teraterm, I had easy access.

Ok guys, my wall mount Network rack is up and running. Power is ran from the bottom of the rack up the rear right hand side of the rack. I am running data in from the top rear left hand side of the rack. There is a ventilation fan at the top of the rack that does an impressive job of keeping the inside cool.

417806f2f913755c595fa179789429f5.jpg

a6b08316910faff21ab6b9e9407f0273.jpg

I have a few tasks remaining:

1. I need to finish up getting the power monitoring and control configured.

2. I need to cut some new patch cables, and then finish routing data wiring.

3. I bought 2U shelf, and have found that I can reach my hand in from the side. I may end up switching them out for 1U shelfs or cutting the side panel so I can reach in from the side of the rack.

4. I need to re-tag all my network equipment since my up addressing changed.

5. I am going to add some lighting to this section of the storage space.

Once this is squared up I will finish getting my upgraded security alarm in place and tied into my home automation system. Then my ESXi host.

Edited by Tur0k
  • Like 2

You're going to use LED lighting?

I was planning on adding another light in the ceiling. I did add LED lighting and a door trigger on my safe, and it works really well. That is a great idea.

Looks really nice. Lol don't shoot me for this, but if you want to really neaten up those cables they would need to be longer so you can bundle them up and run them over to one of the rails.

• Like 2

Yea, i couldn’t find my spool of velcro strips. I ordered some more today. Also found that I needed a 2’ extension for my Zwave transceiver because wireless signals don’t exactly penetrate a metal box. I’m going to switch the patch cabling out. I have some thick blue cable left over from a few side gigs I have done. I am trying to decide if I want to custom cut them to specific lengths and the run them to the one of the side rails, or drop them straight down from the switch run them behind the switch push them straight up, and have them pop out right below the patch panel.

Edited by Tur0k

Had to share again. Might not be able to tell from the pic, but my Alexa HA Bridge is now running on a standalone mini PC.

Oh! and guys! I bought a PCIe NIC with four gigabit inputs! I don't know if that is going to help my emby server with faster streaming, or what kind of 'goodness' will come of it, but it is on the way!

I have a little more cable management stuff to do as well. Not sure if I had the second APC backup when I posted last time, but I also have a third coming as well.

I also added new security camera to the property, and Alexa custom skills describe the people in the image frame of my front door cameras.  :o

I think I have come down with a case of the '@ network equipment purchasing fever'  :lol:

Question: on my  Modem from the ISP there is four LAN ports. What happens when I plug all four LAN ports into my switch?

Is it a good thing to do?

Does it matter at all?

5a6d23773159b_IMG_2702.jpg

Edited by chef
  • Like 2