Emby Theater for Linux

xnappo

That’s a good thing. It would lead to another cut down limited image.

What are you using to create your images? Pi-Gen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ellnic

frabe8378910

It installed from the deb package fine. Launches fine, I'm able to select the item I want. Tries to start playing, I get audio, but no Video. GPU is a Nvidia 1080 FE, the OS is Linux Mint 19, running Nvidia Driver 390.77. Output to command line during run.

Initializing cec-client...

UDP Client listening on 0.0.0.0:45424

starting udp receive timer with timeout ms: 1000

timer expired 0 servers received

[]

Play URL : /TVShows/The Knick/Season 1/The.Knick.S01E07.Get.the.Rope.1080p.HEVC.10bit.mkv

Desktop is a Nvidia 1080 FE running Linux Mint 19 (Only audio through Emby Theater, but both video and audio when running mpv directly same output above)

Laptop is a iGPU Skylake HD 530 running Linux Mint 19 (Only audio through Emby Theater, but both video and audio when running mpv directly same output above)

Both systems have the exact same results independent of GPU.

I'm using Emby Theater for Linux (the electron version) for more then 1.5 year now and I have always the same effect. HW is a Zotac box with a NVidia GPU running Debian Testing.

There have been some discussion on this thread with similar effects and I tried to find the real reason, but was never able to get a complete solution. I figured out that the following work around made Theater for Linux usable for me: 

You find the code snippet around line 823 in main.js.  

function initPlaybackHandler(mpvPath) {       var playbackhandler = require('./playbackhandler/playbackhandler');  

playbackhandler.initialize(getWindowId(playerWindow), mpvPath);

playbackhandler.registerMediaPlayerProtocol(electron.protocol, mainWindow);   }

Replace it with the following snippet, which will comment the original line and get the "playbackhandler.initialize" window change from a seperate playerWindow to the mainWindow. 

function initPlaybackHandler(mpvPath) {       var playbackhandler = require('./playbackhandler/playbackhandler');  

// playbackhandler.initialize(getWindowId(playerWindow), mpvPath);

playbackhandler.initialize(getWindowId(mainWindow), mpvPath);

playbackhandler.registerMediaPlayerProtocol(electron.protocol, mainWindow);   }

You'll lose some fancy features of the playWindow stuff, but you'll get video and audio working for your movies and other stuff. You have to hit "q" key to leave the playing video and then "esc" key to go back to the main screen, but at least you can watch your movies.

I tried to install the current 3.0.4 deb packages, but was unsuccessfull because the depend "libgconf2-4" is to old for debian testing and collide with the new "libgconf" required by other programs. 

As this behaviour have never changed over the last 1.5 year and it does not change even trying different electron versions I doubt the deb package will fix that. I tested electron versions from 1.4xx to 3.x (the current latest) without any differenct.

Edited by frabe8378910

I’ve been trying to get ET up and running using Armbian on a Nexbox S905X but am getting a libgtk error, specifically libgtk-3.so.0 is missing. This is despite libgtk-3 being installed.

I have tried on stretch and bionic. Any ideas?

Edited by ellnic

frabe8378910

Ok so doing that you basically lose the whole video OSD though, right?

Yes, that's the drawback. But otherwise I found no way to have the visible video. Audio is not a problem, sound was always there. 

On some former versions when testing a lot, I was once in a while able to get video by having the main window resized and stuff like that, but not constantly. It was just an indication that video is playing, but coverd by the main window or such.

Do you have an idea what kind of log I could provide for this "bug" to help catching it?

The question is whether bug is the right word, or whether it's just a matter of the window transparency features we need not being supported on certain platforms.

• Like 1

@@ellnic

You could try the dev lib:

sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev

or this to list the missing deps

ldd $(which emby-theater) | grep "not found"

EODCrafter

The question is whether bug is the right word, or whether it's just a matter of the window transparency features we need not being supported on certain platforms.

Did you know of a solution for this? When I use ET for Linux it "Bleeds" over everything and I have to Minimize it in order to use any other things like this Browser....Ubuntu 18.04 ET 3.0.4 ....Once I minimize it I can hear sound but I can't get the viweing Window back without killing the task and restarting.

Edited by EODCrafter

dyslexicjedi

Desktop is a Nvidia 1080 FE running Linux Mint 19 (Only audio through Emby Theater, but both video and audio when running mpv directly same output above)

Laptop is a iGPU Skylake HD 530 running Linux Mint 19 (Only audio through Emby Theater, but both video and audio when running mpv directly same output above)

Both systems have the exact same results independent of GPU.

I actually got this working, come to find out I was missing the libffmpeg.so file in my libs. This is what I did to fix it:

sudo apt-get install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

Now I get video and audio, and the control overlay. Hope this helps someone else too.

dyslexicjedi

I actually got this working, come to find out I was missing the libffmpeg.so file in my libs. This is what I did to fix it:

sudo apt-get install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

Now I get video and audio, and the control overlay. Hope this helps someone else too.

Well, it worked the first time.. But subsequent times, I'm getting the same previous result... Weird.

@@ellnic

You could try the dev lib:

sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev

or this to list the missing deps

ldd $(which emby-theater) | grep "not found"

I was sure I had the dev package installed, but I am thinking I probably didn’t. I reinstalled with --install-recommends and it fired up no problem. The A95X I was testing on isn’t mine, so it’s been returned to Android and given back to its owner - with the ATVX ROM and the Emby TV APK, its an awesome experience. I have a couple of A95Xs on the way and will test more soon.

Edited by ellnic

EODCrafter

Well I finally found a fix to my Unique issue...I switched Desktop from Ubuntu to Unity and ET for Linux works Perfect....

Whoops...Spoke too soon.....

Unless you can't tell...This is the Emby Theater Interface actually blocking the video playing in the background and there is no way to move it out of the way......

5bdc74165834b_Screenshotfrom201811021057

Edited by EODCrafter

When you say from Ubuntu to Unity, you mean from Gnome from Unity? So this is probably another GTK related issue... I also had problems with some GTK deps.. although not the same thing.

Edited by ellnic

EODCrafter

When you say from Ubuntu to Unity, you mean from Gnome from Unity? So this is probably another GTK related issue... I also had problems with some GTK deps.. although not the same thing.

Nope...They have Ubuntu Desktop and Unity Desktop in Ubuntu 18.04. Ubuntu may have been called Gnome at one time but it's not like the old Gnome I used to use.....Gnome classic fallback/flashback....something like that.

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

I am getting this error when I start Emby Server in Docker...Is this related to your issues?.......

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (failed to map segment from shared object): ignored.

Nope...They have Ubuntu Desktop and Unity Desktop in Ubuntu 18.04. Ubuntu may have been called Gnome at one time but it's not like the old Gnome I used to use.....Gnome classic fallback/flashback....something like that.

They may be calling it Ubuntu desktop, but since 18.04 it’s practically vanilla gnome again. They ditched unity and gnome is back.

In any case, these all point to libgtk issues me thinks.

Edited by ellnic
  • Like 1

EODCrafter

It's some kinda weird overlay issue cause I couldn't even click to on the SS button to show it worked after I rebooted but will return again somehow...Is there any way to force the video to always be in front no matter what?

5bdc7a043f3e6_Screenshotfrom201811021120

Looks like it could be related to the overlay issue I am seeing when playing audio. The album artwork gets stuck in front of everything and won’t go. Everything behind still moves and behaves as it should, but the foreground is wrong. I am not even sure if the album artwork was meant to be displayed in such a manner, even if just for a second. Have a look a few posts back for Kirby picture.

EODCrafter

It's back...I closed it out and opened it again and now I don't see any Video, just sound. I'm sure the video is there, I just can't see it cause it's blocked by the user interface for ET.

I haven’t found a way without a reboot - or rather, it’s quicker to just reboot would be a better way to put it. Probably something to do with x server, you could restart that and see.

I’m only playing with ET at the moment, my clients are still Android or iOS.

Edited by ellnic

EODCrafter

Well I tried Nvidia Proprietary, X-Server you name it and can't get it fixed....Thanks for trying!

If we could get this in a Docker Container that would help a lot I think. Then we just destroy the container and recreate.....or maybe not...idk

Edited by EODCrafter

I’m not sure if dockerising it is the answer, not when a reboot fixes it and it’s just a matter of time before it’s fixed. It’s obviously not meant to function like this, so it’ll get fixed in time. :-)

I’ve just tested on Xubuntu cosmic amd64 and the movie is mostly behind a black box that appears to hold the cover art and controls when the cursor is moved. You can see about 10% of the movie around the edges. This seems to be a fairly widespread issue. I’m sure it will be fixed soon.

EODCrafter

I’ve just tested on Xubuntu cosmic amd64 and the movie is mostly behind a black box that appears to hold the cover art and controls when the cursor is moved. You can see about 10% of the movie around the edges. This seems to be a fairly widespread issue. I’m sure it will be fixed soon.

Last time I reported it to Luke he said I was the only one with this issue....In fairness I just said "it didn't work" which is true but in a way (At the time I didn't realize the video was actually playing in the background but there was no way to navigate to it).... https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42868-emby-theater-for-linux/page-23&do=findComment&comment=634409

Edited by EODCrafter